Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Matsuri posted:

I like. Would probably definitely slam in Throne of the God Pharaoh into the maindeck to synergize with all the mans you're putting down and swinging in with, as well as give you some more scry from the Artificer's Assistant too.
I've been thinking about it since seeing SO's deck tech yesterday, but I dunno yet. I went from a full set of Favorable Winds to two Winds and two Cartouches yesterday and I really want to give that a shot before fiddling further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

I thought RTR had higher EV than Avacyn Restored?

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=sets&pack=1

the difference is likely how much of them was printed, so Avacyn Restored has had its modern-relevant cards appreciate in value more because less of them exist. you can buy a RTR booster box for the same price as a standard-legal booster box.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

quote:

Dragon's Maze w/o Shocks $0.57
:allears:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

whydirt posted:

Casting cost aside, Karn seems more like a Siege Rhino type card that is powerful enough to be ubiquitous and annoying throughout its life in Standard, but not strong enough to warrant a full ban.

Rhino's rule over KTK standard is a little overstated. There were tons of great decks that could deal with it, and abzan wasn't always the best deck to be playing.

But yeah it was certainly drat good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

tzirean posted:

I think it's still below MSRP, but higher than any other Standard set. Dawnglare has it at $3/pack EV, which is more than anything else after Avacyn Restored.

I think that’s still higher than cost or even what you could get it for on Amazon.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

Rhino's rule over KTK standard is a little overstated. There were tons of great decks that could deal with it, and abzan wasn't always the best deck to be playing.

But yeah it was certainly drat good.
IME the only people bitching about Siege Rhino were people playing decks with little to no real removal and just could not shut up about this one creature that was apparently the problem, not that they were trying to force RDW in a standard filled with lifelink and good removal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoth posted:

IME the only people bitching about Siege Rhino were people playing decks with little to no real removal and just could not shut up about this one creature that was apparently the problem, not that they were trying to force RDW in a standard filled with lifelink and good removal.

That RDW deck was loving rad though, especially for the $50 price tag that it came with.

E: This is THS-KTK Standard, natch

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Yawgmoth posted:

Siege Rhino was really only dumb in games where the first one had a reasonable (or unreasonable) impact for a four drop, and then they played Rhinos #2 and #3. The drain effect stacked well.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Hellsau posted:

Siege Rhino was really only dumb in games where the first one had a reasonable (or unreasonable) impact for a four drop, and then they played Rhinos #2 and #3. The drain effect stacked well.
Siege Rhino was also kind of a symptom of how dumb colors were in that standard. It was totally fine to play a WBG four drop in standard and use Jace for filtering before that!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

This is why i go to reddit for the ~~in-depth meta analysis~~
Edit: this is for MTG Arena

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A Moose posted:

This is why i go to reddit for the ~~in-depth meta analysis~~
Edit: this is for MTG Arena

Have these loving people never read a pie chart before?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

quote:

THS-KTK Standard

Still one of my favorite things was a T2 Ensoul Artifact on a Darksteel Citadel

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Turn 1: Citadel, Ornithopter...tap for Springleaf drum

Turn 2: Island, tap Springleaf and Ornithopter to Ensoul Citadel. Attack with a 5/5 indestructable.

Life was good

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Have these loving people never read a pie chart before?

The only way it could be funnier is if aggro and control were combined and just called "stupid netdecks >:-( " All variations of control from R/U to U/B to 5 color good stuff to U/W both approach and non-approach = basically the same thing.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I know this is Arena... but if that's the future of standard, that's one healthy meta.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tibalt posted:

I know this is Arena... but if that's the future of standard, that's one healthy meta.

This is what happens when you don't play for stakes and cards are super hard/expensive to get access to.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

A recent episode of the Leaving a Legacy podcast interviewed Adam Barnello, and he dropped the info that the deck we now know as Oops All Spells was developed on a forum he's a member of, as a joke, under a different name. I'm 100% sure he meant this forum and the original discussion about Breakfast Burrito.

Which of you is Barnello

That's not my name, and IIRC it's not Chamale (or whatever he's called now) either, though I could be wrong, and I can't find our old facebook messenger thread to confirm. There was a third person writing playtesting programs for the deck, I don't remember their forums handle. It could also be MTG Salvation, where it was called Hobo With A Shotgun, or potentially other forums.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mcmagic posted:

So how long can Karn hold 50 bucks for?

Till they put a playset in the next Challenger Deck series. :getin:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

A big flaming stink posted:

what inner sleeves do you use? i've never had any problems with kmc perfect fits.

Sorry for the delay on this response. They are Dragon Shield inners. Though maybe there is something I don't know because the young lady who sold me the sleeves reached for the KMC inners first.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I bought some Dragon Shield matte black sleeves and some clear inners. I'm facing the same problem the Prof did in his video where the inner peeks up off of the bottom of the card, and it's maddening. What's especially odd is that I got some Dragon Shield clear matte sleeves (to protect the cards in an old board game) recently and I had no trouble at all. This deck has some beat up cards, so just using the clears isn't an option.

Has anyone had any luck with different inners with Dragon Shields? I don't want to spend literal hours trying to get these to behave, but I also don't want to drive around and waste money on inners that don't fit either.

Thems are just the brakes with the old KMC hyper matts turning into poo poo. Dragonshields just don't work well with double sleeving consistently. Sometimes you get a batch that aren't too bad to sleeve up and others where it frustrates you to no end.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I've been using the KMC perfect fits and Dragon matte black sleeves for years and never encountered a problem at all, across literally hundreds of cards sleeved. I've never even had a sleeve split that entire time. You may have just gotten a lemon?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The Dragon Shield Mattes are pretty consistent, though they have the same problem DS has always had: they hold onto grime like no other so they're super durable but are covered in poo poo after a while unless you're willing to tediously wipe them down.

The regular Dragon Shields are frustrating if you double sleeve. I've gotten through half a deck fine and then suddenly the rest of the sleeves in the pack are too tight.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

The key is to bend the card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJPKvymIcY

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Finally got into Arena. Anyone have a reference post with quick easy edits to these decks, or should I just take them out as constructed to get beat on while I learn the new UI?

e; Is there really no discounting at all for buying packs in bulk? Ugh. The UI is nice and fluid overall tho. Just kind of playing vanilla Decks to match my quests and figure out how priority and poo poo hold.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 9, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got my German Dominaria box in! First box I've had in quite a while that was a net positive just off the big cards pulled.

Also, one of the foils was Rona, Schülerin des Gix which looks loving baller and I need to make an EDH deck for now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Achievement unlocked!

I successfully cast Karn's Temporal Sundering to win a game in limited with Adeliz, the Cinder Wind and some Wizardbros giving the assist. Still salty I passed Naban P1P1 to take Spore Swarm (I think Spore Swarm is better in a random deck).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am pretty sure all that is doing is stretching out the sleeve to allow it to fit better. I would really dislike bending cards like that just to sleeve it.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Tolarian Prof recently did a video where he said that the new art dragonshields don't have the same problems with double sleeving as regular ones. The only problem is the only matte ones are the green ones.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Nephzinho posted:

Finally got into Arena. Anyone have a reference post with quick easy edits to these decks, or should I just take them out as constructed to get beat on while I learn the new UI?

I found the Selesnya Pride (GW Cats) deck adding any decent white or green rares I had opened seemed like a solid way to get started. The stock decks just struggle against a deck gaining a decent amount of life. Don’t spend any of your wild cards until you decide what sort of deck you want to build though. One of the guys from my LGS spent all his wild cards upgrading one of the stock decks first day, now he is stuck with a deck he doesn’t really like until he grinds out enough wins to actually build up something reasonable.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Put an unsleeved card on top of the innersleeved card when you push it down. May need to pinch the bottom a little while pulling the unsleeved card back out. Works every time, takes like 2 seconds extra.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Standard prices tend to drop once mtgo redemptions become available.

Like, right now Karn + Teferi + Lyra in paper costs more than buying a full set of Dominaria on mtgo and redeeming it. So once redemption actually becomes available, those are going to normalise.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just took a survey where Wizards asked what monetary value I place on spindown life counters and I honestly answered nil.

My cat does enjoy batting any that fall on the floor around until they go under the couch.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just took a survey where Wizards asked what monetary value I place on spindown life counters and I honestly answered nil.

My cat does enjoy batting any that fall on the floor around until they go under the couch.

How does it feel to be completely wrong?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont use em but i do like collecting em. it does make me a lil sad when supp products dont have the set symbols on em.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i dont use em but i do like collecting em. it does make me a lil sad when supp products dont have the set symbols on em.

It makes me a lil sad that the AVR ones do have the set symbol on em.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toshimo posted:

Oh man those old style pewter dial counters from when I was a kid were dope.

But "spindown life counters" to wotc means "a sequentially numbered d20." They hold limited appeal to me, and have less utility in their designated function than the back of and envelope and a crayon.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

The superior life tracker, without question.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Owlbear Camus posted:

"spindown life counters" to wotc means "a sequentially numbered d20."

Gross.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I despise spindown counters. Worthless as a die, no better for recorded life tracking than the old dial indicator so bring those back you loving monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The worst part is that having something that looks vaguely like a d20 (even though it's not) seems to make people want to high-roll them to see who starts.