Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Did I say Access to Insight? I meant Dharma Seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I like 10% Happier but Buddhify is a good pay once choice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How are apps like RoboKiller, NoMoRoBo, etc.? Is there a recommended one? Just between those two, robokiller is cheaper, so ...

I'm not willing to give up my number, but it's getting to the point where paying a monthly fee to stop this bullshit is looking attractive.

Yes, my number is in the do not call registry, no, no one cares.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

If you're on AT&T there's an app called Call Protect and it's free.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If you're on AT&T there's an app called Call Protect and it's free.
Verizon, unfortunately, but thank you.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Krakkles posted:

How are apps like RoboKiller, NoMoRoBo, etc.? Is there a recommended one? Just between those two, robokiller is cheaper, so ...

I'm not willing to give up my number, but it's getting to the point where paying a monthly fee to stop this bullshit is looking attractive.

Yes, my number is in the do not call registry, no, no one cares.

I use NoMoRobo and it's been solid for me. Gone from 3-4 robocalls a day to one a week when the shitstains get a number the system doesn't yet recognize. Has a share extension to ADD those new numbers to the NMR database so you only ever hear from a new number once.

Now I just get mystery 1 second silent voicemails that are easily ignored. Quality of life worth the buck a month.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
What podcast apps are people using these days? I've been using Overcast and I like it, but it has trouble opening private podcasts from Patreon.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you want a free option for call interception, Truecaller is worth looking into.

SaintFu posted:

What podcast apps are people using these days? I've been using Overcast and I like it, but it has trouble opening private podcasts from Patreon.

Pick any loving page in this thread and you will get your recommendations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SaintFu posted:

In what way? Works fine for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

T-Mobile will do it free with any post-paid plan (traditional mobile plans). If you're pre-paid I don't think you can participate.

http://explore.t-mobile.com/callpro...rmpname=VigLink

I use it, and it's pretty effective. I get maybe 1 or 2 slip through any given week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MetroPCS tags calls as ‘Scam Likely’, but still pipes them through. When I first enabled it, most of the calls I got were tagged with it but it’s become less and less over time. The importance of keeping super up to date bad call lists.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SaintFu posted:

Have you updated recently? You can add passworded podcasts easily now if that's how Patreon publishes them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

If you want a free option for call interception, Truecaller is worth looking into.

I use Hiya which is free as well and it works pretty good. You can allow, block or send to voicemail. It also works with "near neighbor" calls where they match the first 6 digits of your number.

The app asks for contact list access to create a white filter but you can decline it if you want.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 3, 2018

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Have you updated recently? You can add passworded podcasts easily now if that's how Patreon publishes them.

There's no password, just a long url that Overcast doesn't like. I ended up just opening the link in Mail, which then opened it in News, which opened it in Podcasts. Then I copied the link from Podcasts and pasted it into Overcast. That worked.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Is there a recommended go-to app for recording phone calls (without alerting the other person)? I am involved in a matter which my lawyer needs me to record some calls...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mik posted:

Is there a recommended go-to app for recording phone calls (without alerting the other person)? I am involved in a matter which my lawyer needs me to record some calls...

Apple requires that call recording apps play a beep when you start recording.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This isn't helpful sorry, but I'm surprised there isn't a device especially for divorce lawyers that your lawyer lends you that plugs into the 3.5mm jack and records everything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It’s also illegal in some places

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
It's legal where I am. Shame about the beep, might have to do it in a more old school manner.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

This isn't helpful sorry, but I'm surprised there isn't a device especially for divorce lawyers that your lawyer lends you that plugs into the 3.5mm jack and records everything.

Isn't that just called a microphone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

:vince:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

FCKGW posted:

Earbud taped to microphone, piped into windows voice recorder.

:effort:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yall ready to play half-life on your phone?

https://steamdb.info/blog/steam-link-and-video-mobile-apps/

quote:

The Steam Link app, slated to launch the week of May 21st, allows gamers to experience their Steam library of games on their Android (phone, tablet, TV) and iOS-based (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) devices while connected via 5Ghz network or wired Ethernet to a host system (Mac or PC), with Android access initially offered in beta. The Steam Link App will feature support for the Steam Controller, MFI controllers, and more across both platforms.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m now actually tempted to get a MFI gamepad now for playing stuff in the bath on my iPad.

Are there any waterproof ones?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh that sounds pretty cool. My TV has steam link as an app but I could never get the M/KB to work with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m now actually tempted to get a MFI gamepad now for playing stuff in the bath on my iPad.

Are there any waterproof ones?

I don’t think it’s waterproof, but the Nimbus is rechargeable (lightning connector) and can support four different connection profiles. I got back when I thought more games would be released on the aTV than actually were. It works well with iPad (especially with Jade Empire).

I’m kind of stoked for this. I have a Steam Link and it works very well streaming over 802.11ac.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm glad Apple sells lightning Ethernet adaptors now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

wait what? lol I'm not googling it because it sounds like insane BS.

Also the Nimbus is pretty great. You can get one off the amazon warehouse for pretty cheap if you keep an eye out and its for sure worth it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Also the Nimbus is pretty great. You can get one off the amazon warehouse for pretty cheap if you keep an eye out and its for sure worth it.

What is the nimbus?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

What is the nimbus?

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...elseries+nimbus

I got mine back in Jan from the warehouse for $28

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

What is the nimbus?

BT Controller.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

http://redpark.com/ipad-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-news/

(Surprisingly enough it always worked to connect a USB-Ethernet adaptor through a powered USB hub)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

???

Why would you need one?

~Coxy posted:

http://redpark.com/ipad-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-news/

(Surprisingly enough it always worked to connect a USB-Ethernet adaptor through a powered USB hub)

Lol, for fucks sake of course there's one. For a couple dollars less you can get a 3x3 dual channel 802.11ac router and move your entire network into the present instead of being stuck in 2005.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wireless-AiProtection-Compatible-RT-AC68U/dp/B01N08LPPP

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 10, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

???

Why would you need one?
It's pretty niche, but I could see situations where you work in a secure area that doesn't allow wifi, but need an iPad for something or other.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess I could see some of the iPad kiosks using them for transactions and stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's pretty niche, but I could see situations where you work in a secure area that doesn't allow wifi, but need an iPad for something or other.

MarcusSA posted:

I guess I could see some of the iPad kiosks using them for transactions and stuff.

I will concede a lack of imagination on my part. Those two scenarios make perfect sense.

However, I still think for home use it's a poor expense. You can get a dual band 802.11ac wireless router for right around the same price or even a few bucks less. The ASUS I linked is a solid choice (I bought one for my brother to stop him bitching about the old-rear end Linksys he was using)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only home use I can conceive of is having an iPad permanently mounted to a wall for home automation stuff and you just really, really want to be sure it has consistent connection, but that's both niche and unnecessarily anal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could also put an AP in the same room and said ipad will never have wifi issues.

Unless you live in an apartment with ten thousand networks in range. In that case you straight up hosed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think an Ethernet port would be really useful for those people that are iPad only and don’t have a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Why though?