Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
After talking to Corrode, I got some motivation to work on poo poo I already own. This is what happenened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dexefiend posted:

After talking to Corrode, I got some motivation to work on poo poo I already own. This is what happenened.

I more often see Griffons in solid red or yellow or black with only a door quartered. I think it looks cool, though!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Schadenboner posted:

I more often see Griffons in solid red or yellow or black with only a door quartered. I think it looks cool, though!

Really? I mean, they are red and yellow quartered since ... forever. You just aren't hating yourself painting Howling Griffons if you're not putting quarters on everything.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dexefiend posted:

Really? I mean, they are red and yellow quartered since ... forever. You just aren't hating yourself painting Howling Griffons if you're not putting quarters on everything.

You're being more hardcore about it than Forgeworld was then?

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Howling_Griffons#Gallery

(Mind you, I'm just going off of Badab War since that's the only source I know for them?)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Schadenboner posted:

You're being more hardcore about it than Forgeworld was then?

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Howling_Griffons#Gallery

(Mind you, I'm just going off of Badab War since that's the only source I know for them?)

I am working off my 14 year old self reading White Dwarf and seeing a badass army of Howling Griffons. (Fred Reed's army from 1994.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dexefiend posted:

I am working off my 14 year old self reading White Dwarf and seeing a badass army of Howling Griffons. (Fred Reed's army from 1994.)

Oldlore is goodlore, and I think it looks great.

E: Found it. Goddamn.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 10, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Schadenboner posted:

Oldlore is generally goodlore, and I think it looks great.

E: Found it. Goddamn.

I might have to try painting that (I'm way ahead of you in that I already hate myself).

I have enough Primaris to nearly recreate that photo ....

I think I will have to do that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dexefiend posted:

I have enough Primaris to nearly recreate that photo ....

I think I will have to do that.

Im the every Razorback having a 10-man squad right next to it.

E: Back in 2E (Codex Ultramarines and Angels of Death) they could only carry 5 mans, when did that change to the present 6?

EE: And now I'm stuck on Lexicanum looking up old issues of White Dwarf I remember.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 10, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
More progress! Got the metal finished on all the guns. These Inceptors are really loving finicky; it's hard to decide when to glue everything and when to leave it apart. Right now I think I'll end up getting everything detailed before I glue the arms onto the body.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

This looks awesome Dexe. It’s exactly how I would paint a HG tank.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

dexefiend posted:

Good lad. Looking forward to seeing the Griffons finished and that picture replicated.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

More test minis for battlelore, using only washes and drybrushing so far. I'm pretty happy with the bone and purple, it's just a matter of how much of the armor I want to paint in metallic.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Another D&D mini done, this time my Paladin character Zivoi. The model is a Games Workshop 'Empire Captain with Sword & Shield'.

I really like how the yellow turned out, but I'm definitely dialing back the blood effect next time I can get my brush out.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deino posted:

Another D&D mini done, this time my Paladin character Zivoi. The model is a Games Workshop 'Empire Captain with Sword & Shield'.

I really like how the yellow turned out, but I'm definitely dialing back the blood effect next time I can get my brush out.

I think it looks good. Are you using Blood for the Blood God?

A good trick I've found with that technical paint is to do it in layers. Paint the first layer to be the stain, then paint a second layer on top around the edges of it once dried to give it depth. I did it here on the Shadespire guys:

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

It was Blood for the Blood God, yep. I was applying it in big, heavy glops and then pushing it around where I needed it since it's such a weird consistency. I mostly want to redo it because I'm not sure a slashing weapon would be coated in blood in a pattern like that. :reject:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It might be, if it was piercing someone. If you want it to look like it slashed, just do one edge. On your blade I would do it on the bottom. Try out the method I listed - push the paint from the edge to the middle, let it dry, then apply a 2nd coat closer to the edge, probably toward the tip since it's angling down. Leave it pretty thick and goopy so it looks like blood.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

We need to figure out the lore for what chapter of space marine this could be.

The Pink Panthers, the only known successors to the White Panthers.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Back when we only had Tamyia Clear Red for good blood effects we'd put down a few streaks of a really dark brown first, then overlay it with the red. Gave some depth to the blood and forced you think about where it was going. I'll see if I can dig some up and make an example.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Another rusty soviet tank ready for chipping fluid and a top coat. This one came out better than the t-72 which i drybrushed with metal. This one was stippled and the effect looks better up-close.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

Another rusty soviet tank ready for chipping fluid and a top coat. This one came out better than the t-72 which i drybrushed with metal. This one was stippled and the effect looks better up-close.

Lookin' good so far!

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Speed painting is fun. Bashed this guy out over the evening for a friend’s D&D game that’s coming up. Definitely has a lot of areas that are really rough, but I think it’s not too horrible for a 4-hour paintjob.

I really need to suck less at yellow. Blends are a little better looking in person, but this is after a dozen little glaze layers up from orange, highlighting up to white, then ink filter. And it still is too chunky.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

Lookin' good so far!

Thanks!

I also got the panzer armor painted up the way I want, minus a very light drybrush of screaming skull. Next up will be the grey stippling.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Booyah- posted:

Thanks!

I also got the panzer armor painted up the way I want, minus a very light drybrush of screaming skull. Next up will be the grey stippling.

The trees don't even have 6 palms. :saddowns:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Good enough. Could have gone further in a few places (lenses, vials, syringe...) but I got bored of this guy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ayn Marx posted:

Good enough. Could have gone further in a few places (lenses, vials, syringe...) but I got bored of this guy

I know they were going for a "Hamlet with Yorick" contemplation of mortality thing with the Apothecary looking at the geneseed (and it's even clever since the geneseed is a form of immortality, especially if some fluff of it including former memories/experiences is accurate) but the only thing it ever says to me is "I have a pocket watch and am looking at the time".

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 11, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

Very nice! I'll be interested to see how that approach works at 15mm scale, and if the results look generally the same.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

Very nice! I'll be interested to see how that approach works at 15mm scale, and if the results look generally the same.

I think the tricky part will be getting the chips to look sharply angled despite being painted on. I'm guessing that at that scale the roundness of the tiny dots will be pronounced. I have a few ideas of other things to dry besides a brush and sponge. A tooth pick broken in half might have some good bits.

e: now that I think about it, I will also put a layer of future on before doing anything, as a check point. If I'm not happy I would love to just scrub some of the grey off without damaging the paint underneath.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 11, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

I think the tricky part will be getting the chips to look sharply angled despite being painted on. I'm guessing that at that scale the roundness of the tiny dots will be pronounced. I have a few ideas of other things to dry besides a brush and sponge. A tooth pick broken in half might have some good bits.

e: now that I think about it, I will also put a layer of future on before doing anything, as a check point. If I'm not happy I would love to just scrub some of the grey off without damaging the paint underneath.
I think if you use a small brush, you'll be fine.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Wip of some ogryns I've been working on. Still a lot of flat colors, and unfortunately my phone camera kinda washes out the skin tones. There's actually five different skin tones between six ogryns.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Making progress on my second Infinity mini.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Finished assembling/magnetizing my Primaris Leviathan.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Made boss hawg. Now I just need to finish his Gyrfalcon dickbike.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
wips!

Dark Apostle

Exalted Sorcerer in Terminator Armour

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

15mm is cool

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I raided my various bitz boxes and bashed a set of objective markers together.

Number of things on the base indicate which marker is which, so:
1 random Necron gizmo
2 guardsmen
3 hibernating Necron warriors
4 mortar shells
5 tank/artillery shells
6 lasguns

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Groetgaffel posted:

I raided my various bitz boxes and bashed a set of objective markers together.

Number of things on the base indicate which marker is which, so:
1 random Necron gizmo
2 guardsmen
3 hibernating Necron warriors
4 mortar shells
5 tank/artillery shells
6 lasguns

And a partridge in a pear tree.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

First models in a long time. There's a lot of work to go but they're getting there!

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Those are some nice plastic men right there, love the blue and yellow, homebrew chapter?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Those are some nice plastic men right there, love the blue and yellow, homebrew chapter?

Yep! The original idea was to do a Primaris marine detachment as a compliment to an AdMech army I'd like to do, but it turned out it's a lot easier and cheaper to get the space marines on the table since the Dark Imperium set is cheap on ebay, so they're growing into their own army. I was going to make them blue and khaki to go with burgundy AdMech, but after doing some test models I liked the yellow a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Boss Hawg (count as shield captain) complete!