Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Time is a circle.

Please don't bring back tension mount heatsinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Inept posted:

Time is a circle.

Please don't bring back tension mount heatsinks.

Imagine how many socket pre-P4/A64 mobos got killed back in their days to a slipped screwdriver thanks to the damned clips.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I remember feeling that fitting an alpha pal heatsink was cheating.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
They kept the fear up with pushing down the lever on lga sockets where you feel the whole time like there's no way you should need to push that hard :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Going from socket 2011 to 3647 seems needlessly cruel.

Such a pain in the butt.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, you can also use LRDIMMs!

Nope!

"Workstation" boards usually support UDIMMs and sometimes support RDIMMs. Server boards usually support RDIMMs and sometimes LRDIMMs. Look for an X99 board if you want to use UDIMMs.

Thanks for the info!

How bad is the price premium for RDIMMs? I think I would rather avoid buying ddr4 ones, but I do have some ddr3 ones that I got for free that *might* function, so I could find a ddr3-based motherboard and use even older xeons instead.....

Used xeons seem to be in ample supply. Threadripper is super cool and all but for a hobbyist looking to do everything on the cheap it seems hard to pass up a pair of 8 core xeons for a third the price of a 1950x

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you're buying new, the premium for RDIMMs/LRDIMMs and Xeons is a bunch. Once they get surplused, they become dirt cheap, like as cheap or cheaper than consumer gear. A good set of DDR3 16 GB gaming UDIMMs will still cost you $100... unless they're ECC RDIMMS in which case $50.

DDR4 is still current, so still expensive. Same for Haswell-E and Broadwell-E processors and boards.

One thing you can do is Engineering Sample chips, which usually work but ymmv. I have a 10C 2.8 GHz all-core-turbo Haswell-E Xeon ES (supports dual-socket) that I got for like $150. The trick is finding the chips that are cheap (i.e. originally had good volume and are now surplus), don't also have total trash clocks, and work on your board, which usually end up being the 16xx chips and 26xx chips.

The E5-1650, 1660, and 1680 also support multiplier overclocking, up to and including the v3 generation. With the E4s Intel locked them down.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 5, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://natex.us/memory/ has gotten more expensive as they've gotten more popular, but I think they're still okay for used sever gear. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php Are good if you're not in a rush because posters are very good about finding deals on stuff every few months, like those 80 dollar 12 core Sandybridges, or terrabytes for under 20 dollars each, which with falling HD prices isn't even a good deal anymore, but was at one time.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

priznat posted:

Going from socket 2011 to 3647 seems needlessly cruel.

Such a pain in the butt.

Let’s just call it socket 3k.
The one after that will be 4k

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The v2 xeons are the last ones to use ddr3 right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Swear there were v3s that used it, need to look this up

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
V3s are Haswell and should all be DDR4 except for the few 1200 series processors.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beaten

Confirming my1265v3 is on ddr3

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

You could get the E7 v3s with ddr3. :-)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I went from my 8700K @ 4.3GHz / DDR4-3000 back to my old 4790K @ 4.2GHz / DDR3-1600 for kicks. Average FPS is slightly improved on the 8700K, but where it truly shines is in minimum FPS where dips in 32+ player CS:GO/WoW/GW2 are far more obvious on the 4790K. Not even a contest on which platform feels much smoother, let alone when the 8700K at 4.7GHz.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 7, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did anyone expect "old games with lovely CPU-bound engines" not to run faster than on the 3.5 years older platform?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

orcane posted:

Did anyone expect "old games with lovely CPU-bound engines" not to run faster than on the 3.5 years older platform?

If you mean "old games with lovely CPU-bound engines" that people still play, yeah.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
New bios for Asus X99 motherboards released a couple weeks ago. For mine it's listed as version 3902, but it's also listed as a beta version for all of them so I'm not going to jump in. From other peoples testing it does have the Spectre/Meltdown fix in firmware now.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 9, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

orcane posted:

I can't even think of a game that isn't CPU bound.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

craig588 posted:

New bios for Asus X99 motherboards released a couple weeks ago. For mine it's listed as version 3902, but it's also listed as a beta version for all of them so I'm not going to jump in. From other peoples testing it does have the Spectre/Meltdown fix in firmware now.

Microsoft is pushing the microcode patch in the OS now so its kinda moot on the motherboard front.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Khorne posted:

I can't even think of a game that isn't CPU bound.

Yeah people are always harping on and on about getting 144fps in some first person shooter or whatever

I just want to build huge Rimworld colonies with a thousand chickens, or play Stellaris on a huge map without everything grinding to a halt after the first hour. I am perfectly happy with my old rear end radeon 7870xt GPU and I desire a new CPU more than anything but I want to wait until my current one kicks the bucket to see what will actually be out then.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft is pushing the microcode patch in the OS now so its kinda moot on the motherboard front.

Not everybody uses Windows.

EDIT: Also Microsoft's microcode patches only cover Haswell and later.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 9, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

dont be mean to me posted:

You have to manually install the microcode update, they don't push it through Windows Update. And it isn't available for the April update right now, so if you're on the latest version of Windows 10 (1803), no microcode patch is available. Installing a BIOS update is still the preferred way to stay safe.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Yeah people are always harping on and on about getting 144fps in some first person shooter or whatever

I just want to build huge Rimworld colonies with a thousand chickens, or play Stellaris on a huge map without everything grinding to a halt after the first hour. I am perfectly happy with my old rear end radeon 7870xt GPU and I desire a new CPU more than anything but I want to wait until my current one kicks the bucket to see what will actually be out then.

Sadly, even upgrading to something like an 8700k doesn't do a whole lot for Rimworld and Stellaris. They're both locked to a single thread, and Stellaris in particular has wonky engine issues that aren't fixed with more power.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stickman posted:

Sadly, even upgrading to something like an 8700k doesn't do a whole lot for Rimworld and Stellaris. They're both locked to a single thread, and Stellaris in particular has wonky engine issues that aren't fixed with more power.

I bet it would do wonders for me, being still on a FX6300 :v:

But yeah, the other thing keeping me from upgrading right now is that I am not sure how much of an actual improvement I would see. Maybe next year games will be better at using threads?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Right now, hyperthreading only adds a ~5-15% boost to things which can take advantage of it. But yeah, who knows what'll be the case when things *have* to take advantage of them. That's why we've been recommending the 8700 this time around, simply because ~you never know~.

There are certainly quite a few i5/2500K owners who wished they'd gotten the i7 way back when, myself included.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

craig588 posted:

Figures that a week after I use the manual BIOS patching method they'd release a new patch for my mobo. I didn't even keep checking, figured Asus had just given up

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Right now, hyperthreading only adds a ~5-15% boost to things which can take advantage of it. But yeah, who knows what'll be the case when things *have* to take advantage of them. That's why we've been recommending the 8700 this time around, simply because ~you never know~.

There are certainly quite a few i5/2500K owners who wished they'd gotten the i7 way back when, myself included.

For games that use more than 4 threads like Watch Dogs 2 even an OCed 4.5GHz 2500K loses to a stock 2600K clocked a whole GHz lower.

Saving $100 for a non-HT CPU is a fool's bargain IMO considering the resale value factor let alone performance potential.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Have MS actually said that they won't be distributing any microcode updates for older generations? The list on that page has been updated several times since the page first went up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Eh, not really, I bought a used 3770K and delidded it, then got a decent overclock out of it.
Then used the 2500K in an HTPC build. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the platform, that's for sure.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I ran my 2500k for five years I think, it had a good run. RIP motherboard.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Palladium posted:

For games that use more than 4 threads like Watch Dogs 2 even an OCed 4.5GHz 2500K loses to a stock 2600K clocked a whole GHz lower.

Saving $100 for a non-HT CPU is a fool's bargain IMO considering the resale value factor let alone performance potential.

Yeah, Watch Dogs runs like rear end in some areas for me on my 2500K at 4.2, having a 1080 Ti only means I get to have pretty graphics while it stutters like crazy. Was holding off on upgrading the cpu, but that game pretty much shows the writing on the wall for only having 4 threads in modern games. Now I’m only holding off until we get solid details about the 8 core chips.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Figures that a week after I use the manual BIOS patching method they'd release a new patch for my mobo. I didn't even keep checking, figured Asus had just given up

Yeah, I was surprised, since they haven’t patched the ME or Infineon vulnerabilities. I’m still installing a custom BIOS to get rid of ME, but at least I don’t have to patch in the microcode. So, progress I guess?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mr Chips posted:

Have MS actually said that they won't be distributing any microcode updates for older generations? The list on that page has been updated several times since the page first went up.

They backed it up once to include Haswell and Broadwell (Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake were in the original set, I think?). Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have the security instructions to mitigate Spectre but not the instructions to avoid performance loss from mitigating Spectre.

Intel's disavowed anything older.

Microsoft has made no explicit pledge to extend microcode updates further back - any microcode updates is technically microcode updates, after all.

By all means, draw your own conclusion, but recommending people soldier on in the hope they'll get patched is dangerous 'advice'.

And keep in mind there's a second generation of Spectre, distinct from the two variants of Spectre we've already had to deal with, that needs microcode patches coming up.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 10, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

They backed it up once to include Haswell and Broadwell (Skylake/Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake were in the original set, I think?). Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have the security instructions to mitigate Spectre but not the instructions to avoid performance loss from mitigating Spectre.

Intel's disavowed anything older.

There's a detailed list from Intel with a couple additions here.

Like you say, it's the end of the road for LGA775/771 - none of these products are getting a fix. I would probably recommend at least migrating off of Windows on these platforms since that's really low hanging fruit for an exploit.
LGA1366 has some fixed products (L/E/X5500 and 5600 series, W3670/80) and some which are abandoned (i7-9xx, W3690, W35xx). Might be good to get one of the fixed products if you're still running an i7-9xx.
LGA1156 is all getting patched, but with mobile 1st gen Core only the dual-cores are; quad-core Clarksfield is abandoned.
Anything 2nd gen or newer gets a security fix at least.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 10, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm kinda hoping that AMD rattled Intel's cage enough to enable ECC in the HEDTs.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This just makes my 2550k's relative performance that much higher!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:allears:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/994634349978021889

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/994656632138338304

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh nice.

The other Twitter comments are so lame my eyes are bleeding now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Global forensics" lmao.