Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

For some reason, all I can think after reading that, is don't let Frank Miller come up with who the big bad that they're holding back is, if they go that route. You know what he would do.

What do you think he would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

Well, if Holy Terror is any indincation...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Like, I don't know what version of Amanda Waller that people are actually a fan of,

The DCAU one

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
John Ostrander and Greg Rucka both wrote a pretty interesting Amanda Waller. She wasn't omniscient and she wasn't always who you were rooting for but she did stuff that made sense, elicited interesting dynamics from other characters, and felt like a character with consistent and complex motivations and beliefs.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Covok posted:

For some reason, all I can think after reading that, is don't let Frank Miller come up with who the big bad that they're holding back is, if they go that route. You know what he would do.

Writers can portray an enemy to the nation without being racist about it. I hope. I mean, it CAN be done.

Look at COBRA. Charismatic figurehead/ex-used car dealer. Aristocratic revolutionary. Man taking care of a family business.. Biker/ex-ninja. Dentist gone mad via sonic waves. And brainwashed ninja. Only one of them is representative of another people or religion.

The problem there is they started having some points. But the Suicide Squad isn't GI Joe, and that's where you get Amanda Waller being a hardass, but a human, American hardass. Even if the people who want to take over might have some good ideas, she's the Wall and she does her job. It's another aspect to play up, cause right now they're effectively slaves, it doesn't seem like anyone's actually getting their jailtime reduced or anything, and they don't seem to be volunteering for the position unless they're making a show of it, they're just swept up by Waller. Blah! Just pick something, writers. Redemption, political thriller with intrigue, espionage, hard choices. All they gotta do is make it matter and not just 'because.'

I always figured the Amanda Waller people liked was the original Suicide Squad (comic) version.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Archyduke posted:

John Ostrander and Greg Rucka both wrote a pretty interesting Amanda Waller. She wasn't omniscient and she wasn't always who you were rooting for but she did stuff that made sense, elicited interesting dynamics from other characters, and felt like a character with consistent and complex motivations and beliefs.
Yeah I did enjoy Waller in Rucka's Checkmate series, and part of that was because she was actually quite nuanced, and that her "nefarious" side was a lot more tacit and cunning and that she took great lengths to keep that part of her work hidden from prying eyes. And then, when that stuff did get discovered by the white hats, they ended up doing their jobs by working together to force Waller to step down. And then the thing is that this probably isn't going to keep her down forever and that she'll be working to regain power in her own way, because that's who she is.

It's a much more engaging story to tell about this character than the recent ones where she's basically just a sadistic and corrupt prison warden making generic speeches about how everyone else is too soft to do what it takes or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like for Amanda Waller to really work you have to emphatize with her. You can think she's wrong or that she's doing something awful but you understand why she feels the way she does and her cruelty is tempered by humanity (and this doesn't necessarily mean kindness but things that make her feel like a person and not a crappy walking stereotype.)

In essence she's a lot like Nick Fury. A good writer focuses on the idea that this person is, at heart, dedicated to protecting people and sometimes that means being a hardass or doing something underhanded or possibly cruel but their final goal is to protect people and while they may do immoral things for it, it is in pursuit of a goal they personally feel is moral and the audience can understand and empathize with. When you make her just the loudmouth shithead then she loses a lot of what makes her work.

People point to JLU Waller because at the end of the day she was Amoral Batman, working her hardest as a normal human to stand against superbeings who she felt were a threat and who she had very valid reason to fear. (Being that Superman had been mind controlled once and the Justice Lords *existed.*)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hacking Brainiac to find out why/where he's abducted a pile of heroes and villains (including her squad) doesn't not make sense.

Just now, it does make me think that probably nobody told Snyder that there's super cyber hacker girl Suicide Squad member, though.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just now, it does make me think that probably nobody told Snyder that there's super cyber hacker girl Suicide Squad member, though.

You mean Hack? She's been dead for a while.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jordan7hm posted:

The International Society for Larceny, Arson and Mutilation.

e: and their Military Units Shaped to Lacerate Innocent Men

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She was dead when I quit the book but somehow I got the notion that she came back as a ghost in the machine or something.

edit:
Great art variants next week.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 10, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

She was dead when I quit the book but somehow I got the notion that she came back as a ghost in the machine or something.

edit:
Great art variants next week.

I loving loved the Flash variant. Really glad that Zolomon is back.

The last pre-N52 Checkmate series was great and I did like the portrayal of Waller there. Also liked the DCAU version. I just don't like Waller in general because she's the cause of half the poo poo that she's supposed to stop. Like "Oh good job Waller...you're a dumbass who 'killed' Brainiac and probably hosed everything up because you just can't help yourself."

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 10, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
As long as we're talking Waller and Suicide Squad in general, when's the last time (if any time) that she's actually detonated someone's head? I know to an extent they're immortal anyway because some of them are too popular and some have a touch of movie immunity, but I never see any Z-listers biting it even when they're in situations like being captured and/or interrogated, which seems like the exact time you'd cut your losses and leave em

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

TwoPair posted:

As long as we're talking Waller and Suicide Squad in general, when's the last time (if any time) that she's actually detonated someone's head? I know to an extent they're immortal anyway because some of them are too popular and some have a touch of movie immunity, but I never see any Z-listers biting it even when they're in situations like being captured and/or interrogated, which seems like the exact time you'd cut your losses and leave em

Did she blow up Lobo's head in JL vs SS? I can't remember

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

pubic works project posted:

Did she blow up Lobo's head in JL vs SS? I can't remember

Wouldn't that, like, not do anything to Lobo because he can regenerate from a single cell or something like Majin loving Buu?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lol
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/994260099307892736

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

Wouldn't that, like, not do anything to Lobo because he can regenerate from a single cell or something like Majin loving Buu?
It would certainly put him out of commission for a bit

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Covok posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

RIP $2.99
https://www.newsarama.com/39872-detective-comics-harley-quinn-green-lantern-titles-harley-quinn-more-raising-prices.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And also no more free digital copies with purchase.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Are they still going to be double shipping?

This is horseshit. Absolutely bleeding people here and half the time the stories feel watered down because they're cut in half in order to double ship.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They better go back to monthly again.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like for Amanda Waller to really work you have to emphatize with her. You can think she's wrong or that she's doing something awful but you understand why she feels the way she does and her cruelty is tempered by humanity (and this doesn't necessarily mean kindness but things that make her feel like a person and not a crappy walking stereotype.)

In essence she's a lot like Nick Fury. A good writer focuses on the idea that this person is, at heart, dedicated to protecting people and sometimes that means being a hardass or doing something underhanded or possibly cruel but their final goal is to protect people and while they may do immoral things for it, it is in pursuit of a goal they personally feel is moral and the audience can understand and empathize with. When you make her just the loudmouth shithead then she loses a lot of what makes her work.

People point to JLU Waller because at the end of the day she was Amoral Batman, working her hardest as a normal human to stand against superbeings who she felt were a threat and who she had very valid reason to fear. (Being that Superman had been mind controlled once and the Justice Lords *existed.*)

This is why Ostrander's Amanda Waller was the greatest; no one else did more to illustrate who Waller was and why she did the things she did - though, I mean, he sort of had to, given that he was one of her creators. Later writers have had a tendency to write Waller basically as a force of nature rather than a person, which is a mistake, I think (though not as much of a mistake as New52 Waller being a government super-agent instead of a widow who pulled herself out of the projects through sheer force of will). She works, like you said, when you empathize with her.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wow, that's really, really weird move. Literally, people (including myself) were really happy with the 2.99 price tag and used it to justify a lot of purchases. To 180 completely, keep the double shipping, and, then, remove the few scant series they gave free digital copies for completely? It's like they want to burn away all the good will they had built up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aren't there less than a dozen double shipping books left at this point anyways?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Aren't there less than a dozen double shipping books left at this point anyways?

Yeah and I'm pretty sure I buy all of them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

At the moment they have:

Batman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
Suicide Squad
Green Lanterns
Harley Quinn

The books that have stopped double shipping:

Superman
Action Comics
Deathstroke
Justice League
Cyborg
Green Arrow
Aquaman
Nightwing
Justice League of America (ended)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

Wow, that's really, really weird move. Literally, people (including myself) were really happy with the 2.99 price tag and used it to justify a lot of purchases. To 180 completely, keep the double shipping, and, then, remove the few scant series they gave free digital copies for completely? It's like they want to burn away all the good will they had built up.

I kinda get it. They never made more money than Marvel in the Diamond charts, even when selling more books and dominating the top ten lists in the last few years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

At the moment they have:

Batman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash
Suicide Squad
Green Lanterns
Harley Quinn

I think the GL books are moving to monthly soon?

Teenage Fansub posted:

I kinda get it. They never made more money than Marvel in the Diamond charts, even when selling more books and dominating the top ten lists in the last few years.

While I don't know if they are still doing it, Marvel was overshipping thousands of copies of books and reporting them as copies sold.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Roth posted:

At the moment they have:

Batman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Flash
Suicide Squad
Green Lanterns
Harley Quinn

The books that have stopped double shipping:

Superman
Action Comics
Deathstroke
Justice League
Cyborg
Green Arrow
Aquaman
Nightwing
Justice League of America (ended)

According to Snyder, Justice League will be double-shipping when it re-starts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Really? But they were selling for less? It's worth noting that Marvel was over shipping so it's possible that they were making more. But I guess they must have not been because then they wouldn't be changing back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I think the GL books are moving to monthly soon?

I think Hal Jordan ends at issue 50. Green Lanterns is still bi-weekly up to the latest solicits.

Wouldn't surprise me if it goes monthly though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Snyder actually DM'd me when I commented how I thought the double-shipping at $3.99 sucked. Obviously he wasn't in control of it, but was able to get 2 more pages than normal into each issue of JL.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp really are the next GL team, that ain't a double shipper.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

I loving loved the Flash variant. Really glad that Zolomon is back.

I was too until I got to read Williamson writing him.

Which is funny because, now, finally he's got all the other important characters on the right track but he's butchering Hunter to establish the premise.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

If Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp really are the next GL team, that ain't a double shipper.

We will be lucky if it bi-monthly shipper.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Snyder actually DM'd me when I commented how I thought the double-shipping at $3.99 sucked. Obviously he wasn't in control of it, but was able to get 2 more pages than normal into each issue of JL.

Two extra pages, wow!

I bet they even keep them for more than a month. At least two.

Feels like the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

We will be lucky if it bi-monthly shipper.

Bi-monthly can mean both twice a month and every other month.

Also, I want to give a shout out to Bendis and Bagley for putting out 18 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man a year while consistently being the best Spider-Man comic in any given week for over 100 issues.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Inflammable also mean flammable? What a country!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Yes, the correct term for double-shipping books is "semimonthly."