Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cake Attack posted:

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

Simoun, if you can take some slightly janky character designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cake Attack posted:

i wanna watch some sort of genre show that doesn't take place in our (modern) world. no slice of life stuff, something plot and character heavy. isekai and technically not isekai but the setting is that same MMO-esque game mechanic drenched medieval fantasy need not apply

Mushishi

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ty all. lots of good recommendations and i will endeavor towards the lofty goal of actually starting a single one of them at some point.

my post's time in the sun seems be over but if anyone throws anything else out ill also add i like a good conclusive romance sub-plot and nothing too long

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

This.

Also yes, Haibane Renmei.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

NOT THE SECOND SEASON

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

NOT THE SECOND SEASON

is that the one with the bizarrely disgusting bit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

NOT THE SECOND SEASON

Oh yes, that is a very good point.

The Colonel posted:

I just remember it being extremely boring in the first few episodes, and tapping out from that alone :suspense:.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Colonel posted:

the huh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
orphen was mentioned having a bit where orphen encounters a girl he knew when he was a kid who's been turned into a giant weird flesh monster that he kills after vomiting on the floor

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That sounds pretty rad actually

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cronenberg should make an anime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

So... Akira?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Parasyte?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legend of the legendary heroes is a decent fantasy anime but they went with an anime original ending that didnt resolve all the threads so they could have a season 2 later, and, well, they dindt have a season 2 later

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

legend of the legendary heroes is a decent fantasy anime but they went with an anime original ending that didnt resolve all the threads so they could have a season 2 later, and, well, they dindt have a season 2 later
We're gonna take the fight to them!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

That sounds pretty rad actually

i don't know if that would be rad if you were just watching it to watch a goofy 90s fantasy action adventure anime starring a guy who's a bit of a prick

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also the whole 2nd season is just painfully unfunny

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Garo: Seal of Flames

i'm looking into all the shows people posted and is this the one that's just Garo the animation on crunchy?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i'm looking into all the shows people posted and is this the one that's just Garo the animation on crunchy?

yes

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Late to the party, but if you don't mind a show with a LOT of action (and the occasional boob joke), Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a choice pick. Admittedly it's my favorite anime and a recent rewatch only confirms this for me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Davincie posted:

*kramers into room* LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GENOCYBER

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

*kramers into room* LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GENOCYBER

What the...this wasn't directed by David Cronenberg at all!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GorfZaplen posted:

What the...this wasn't directed by David Cronenberg at all!

It's basically directly ripping off his style as hard as humanly possible and, for reasons that'll become clear if you actually watch Genocyber, we're probably not gonna get anything closer

Urotsukidoji is also not a bad call for Cronenberg-y anime

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any Manga like Goblin Slayer but without all the graphic rape going on? I don't mind dark fantasy but don't really need to see characters get raped every few chapters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Any Manga like Goblin Slayer but without all the graphic rape going on? I don't mind dark fantasy but don't really need to see characters get raped every few chapters.
if you want darkish fantasy action, claymore? and vinland saga is a historical setting but it'd fit too tonally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You want Dorohedoro. It's not fantasy in the stereotypical sense, in fact it's got a style that I honestly can't really put a finger on any other work of fiction having. It's got a sorta punk-ey feel to it, but the way magic and everything works in it is so loving surreal and unique(magic users flying not on broomsticks but a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a hot rod is one weird one). It's also got some really loving awesome women in it, especially Nikaido and Noi. Noi in particular is a brick shithouse brawler and one of the rare instances of a female fighter character with proper muscles. Also her relationship with Shin is very cute. Well, as cute as a couple of cleaners can be.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ulio posted:

Berserk has a lot less rape, but not no rape. It's pretty good otherwise, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Berserk has a lot less rape, but not no rape. It's pretty good otherwise, though.

I'm a little disturbed by how similar this post is to one that I was going to make.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berserk has rape but it also has it actually be a part of its character writing and not just, a thing that happens constantly for the sake of it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Except for the horse one.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah but the horse dude gets brutally murdered before he can actually do any rapey things iirc.

Berserk is pretty hosed up.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Dorohedoro is extremely good but it gets convoluted as poo poo at the end and the art style doesn't help trying to decipher what the gently caress is going on a lot of the time.

I would have preferred if it just stayed as hosed up and nasty yet weirdly upbeat, rather than going into full crazy surreal anything-can-happen town.

But yeah it does have exactly 0 rapes in as far as I recall which is a plus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just want to say that if you want to experience a LOT of feelings and cry like a small child at least once per episode, then goddamn is Violet Evergarden the show for you.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

Claymore? Ubel Blatt?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what are the best/good "animes that take place in a fantasy setting with game-like rules" (both a little broader and a little narrower than isekai, i guess???)

off the top of my head i can think of re:zero, konosuba, grimgar, and overlord. i got a bit of an itch to rewatch re:zero and then i thought "what if i just watched a new anime instead" so i'm here now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Konosuba

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the best/good "animes that take place in a fantasy setting with game-like rules" (both a little broader and a little narrower than isekai, i guess???)

off the top of my head i can think of re:zero, konosuba, grimgar, and overlord. i got a bit of an itch to rewatch re:zero and then i thought "what if i just watched a new anime instead" so i'm here now

Senyuu kinda qualifies I think. It's a comedy short though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Danmachi

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

Danmachi

was sword oratoria any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It was alright, it suffered for having to reshow parts of S1 and the conclusion wasn't super interesting but I enjoyed Ais' story and the focus on Loki family hijinks

It's getting a new mainline season and movie at some point, looking forward to those