Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

he1ixx posted:

OK. Is that something we are all dealing with or am I just getting lucky?

Hosts disconnecting for seemingly no reason, yes, the Steam issue, no. Try verifying the game files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fuuka Ayase posted:

What is the current general opinion on the various elves? There's a current strong opinion that shade is the only real career, but i'm not so sure of that. Just yesterday I hosted a PUB that became a rolling collection of people that joined, died instantly, and quit. In which I effectively did half the map solo because of this till people started sticking around realizing most of the map is already done for them. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to do it on shade.

The problem with elves are the players, not the classes.

Except the handmaiden bug.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for Slayer opinions, I know it's good but I was second guessing myself because I've only got one successful legend run and when an (admittedly very bad) pyro says "hey maybe slayer isn't the right choice" I wanted reassurance. I think a lot of the issue is that pubbies I queue into are bad at killing specials. I'm gonna try to get some games with the discord crew and see if it's some obvious stuff I should be doing better.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
I was wondering which character/career combo would be most conducive to me finding a girlfriend through the game? Currently my review is Not Recommended until I get a date.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

he1ixx posted:

OK. Is that something we are all dealing with or am I just getting lucky?

Steam maintenance happens on tuesday so I just don’t play until it’s over on tuesdays. Recently I have been seeing a lot of people saying they got disconnected from steam drops on wednesdays too though, so maybe something also happens on wednesdays. It’s kind of a big problem with the game’s online service that’s been there ever since the start of vermintide 1.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NightshadeGenitals posted:

I was wondering which character/career combo would be most conducive to me finding a girlfriend through the game? Currently my review is Not Recommended until I get a date.

Ol' Kruber is sure to a be a big hit, though Kerillian would get jealous.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Saltzpyre and then roleplay as Gomez Addams with whoever is playing Fire Grandma, even if they're a dude, specially if they're a dude.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Do what I do and call any girls you encounter while playing Vermintide a "hook rat", you'll be surprised at your success rate.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Digirat posted:

Steam maintenance happens on tuesday so I just don’t play until it’s over on tuesdays. Recently I have been seeing a lot of people saying they got disconnected from steam drops on wednesdays too though, so maybe something also happens on wednesdays. It’s kind of a big problem with the game’s online service that’s been there ever since the start of vermintide 1.

I'll verify my files just to make sure that's not it. I'm not "glad" that others have the issue but I'm glad its not just me. I'll soldier through.

The game is super fun. I like the look and feel so much, being a long time Warhammer nerd. They did a great of realizing the world I've been imagining in my pea brain for years. I don't think I'll ever make it up to the skill level some of the folks are up to here but I appreciate reading all of the stuff in the thread about what awaits.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

One of my friends tried out this game but experienced motion sickness, is there any option that could mitigate that besides Head Bobbing and Camera Shake? Couldn't really find anything else.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

he1ixx posted:

I'll verify my files just to make sure that's not it. I'm not "glad" that others have the issue but I'm glad its not just me. I'll soldier through.

The game is super fun. I like the look and feel so much, being a long time Warhammer nerd. They did a great of realizing the world I've been imagining in my pea brain for years. I don't think I'll ever make it up to the skill level some of the folks are up to here but I appreciate reading all of the stuff in the thread about what awaits.

You might surprise yourself. I was crap at L4D and Payday and I sucked at this when I started but now Champion runs are second nature. I’d make the jump to Legend but it sounds like that’s what makes people start hating the game.

Totally agree about the look and feel, too. I mean, I knew there were skulls on everything but in the past week I’ve really started looking for them and there are skulls on everything

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Too Shy Guy posted:

You might surprise yourself. I was crap at L4D and Payday and I sucked at this when I started but now Champion runs are second nature. I’d make the jump to Legend but it sounds like that’s what makes people start hating the game.

Totally agree about the look and feel, too. I mean, I knew there were skulls on everything but in the past week I’ve really started looking for them and there are skulls on everything

I know! My wife was watching me play (she loves the Warhammer universe too) and she was like "Oh wow, there are skulls on the hilt of your blade" and I said "yeah look closer, they are filigreed into the blade itself. And they're on the pommel. and either side of hilt. And the gems embedded in the sword. They're on my sleeves too, and... etc" Good stuff. Skulls are so key to the Warhammer experience.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

edgar_ posted:

Glaive shade is great, I hope it sticks around. You can chunk off like 1/3-1/2 of a boss's health in one shot if you nail the timing on everything. Ult is also good for sneaking out of bad spots, and with the talent to shoot without breaking stealth you have freedom to break out of a horde and take down specials. Been good on the few legend runs I've done so far. But I also play with a reliable group.

I usually played Waywatcher in Champ/pub groups because the ult makes things like pubbies getting stuck by a leech on a ledge above us not a concern, and plenty of arrows for everything. Much less effective vs CWs/bosses though, which is the real potential for getting boned on higher difficulties to our group anyway. So for me, Waywatcher is better all-around, Glaive is good for tryharding.

Haven't played much Handmaiden as the group I play with usually needs the damage over the tankiness and I feel comfortable with the Waywatcher.

Glaive/longbow are my favorite 2 weapon combo in the game though, no matter which career you go with.

Waystalker can push F to kill a problematic special (or two) or wipe half a patrol without ever having to break stride with the Glaivemower and gets infinite ammo with a very solid ranged weapon so they can freely shoot everything that looks even vaguely dangerous throughout the level. The other classes have things that can recommend them, but I don't think they stack up to that kind of utility.

You're a little more vulnerable in melee because you're squishy and don't have any kind of escape mechanic, but with the Glaive being hilariously overtuned that doesn't really matter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I used to think I was some kind of elf genius when I stumbled on how murderous the Glaive and Longbow combo is.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Do you guys take ammo regen on the waystalker?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Foehammer posted:

I do, it's nice to regen both health and arrows out of thin air

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Foehammer posted:

Typically yes. Vaul's Quiver by itself is enough to allow you to have functionally unlimited ammo unless you are deliberately going out of your way to waste arrows or you somehow unbound the key to equip your melee weapon, and always having an answer on hand for problematic specials is really valuable.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Conservative shooter is super useful on waystalker as well, combined with the 30% ult cooldown talent. Every time you ult in the direction of a crowd, you get a bunch of ammo back from the headshots.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Foehammer posted:

Until they revisit WW's level 15, you'd be a fool to take anything else. It is a class defining ability. They dumpstered longbow's ammo cap, gelded Vaul's regen by half, and its still inarguably in the top 3 best talents in the entire game at any level.

WW Vaul's and longbow and a natural bond necklace is what I play when I want to play VT and clear levels but don't want to turn my monitor on.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Conservative shooter is super useful on waystalker as well, combined with the 30% ult cooldown talent. Every time you ult in the direction of a crowd, you get a bunch of ammo back from the headshots.

Oh wow, it never occurred to me that the trueshot volley could proc your bow's trait.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

One of my friends tried out this game but experienced motion sickness, is there any option that could mitigate that besides Head Bobbing and Camera Shake? Couldn't really find anything else.

Some of the sharpness and lighting stuff might help, I'd definitely play with the FoV too. I think they use vertical FoV so if you usually run like 120° horizontal and set that it will be really gross

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Foehammer posted:

Oh wow, it never occurred to me that the trueshot volley could proc your bow's trait.

an old ranger trick

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think that works or at least it didn't a few patches ago because your ult isn't considered your bow when you shoot it. I tried it with crits and headshots and never got any ammo back but that was almost a month ago.

Chakan posted:

Thanks for Slayer opinions, I know it's good but I was second guessing myself because I've only got one successful legend run and when an (admittedly very bad) pyro says "hey maybe slayer isn't the right choice" I wanted reassurance. I think a lot of the issue is that pubbies I queue into are bad at killing specials. I'm gonna try to get some games with the discord crew and see if it's some obvious stuff I should be doing better.
Slayer requires really good enemy awareness because its really easy to just charge into a crowd thinking you can kill everything then get slaughtered. The thing to realize is you have 2 axes so a charged attack does about 26 damage meaning you should be using the charged attack almost constantly unless you need to quickly prune chaff or farm temp health. In a chaotic fight it's actually better to stay with axes and 1 shot chaff all around you to build up a temp health buffer rather than risk getting downed with your hammer. Remember pushing is a great way to control hordes so don't think you need to whip out your slow 2h and wind up when you can shove them back with whatever weapon you have. This is why i prefer the 1h hammer to the 2h hammer actually because its fast as gently caress with 5 stam shields.

Foehammer posted:

Gross one of the main reasons i play elf is the group regen which helps groups so much especially if you got nature bond people. I run vauls quiver and i don't think i have ever ran out of ammo--if you manage to run out of ammo then you're not using your melee enough.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arghy posted:

I don't think that works or at least it didn't a few patches ago because your ult isn't considered your bow when you shoot it. I tried it with crits and headshots and never got any ammo back but that was almost a month ago.

Works just fine for me on the beta patch :shrug:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

he1ixx posted:

I know! My wife was watching me play (she loves the Warhammer universe too) and she was like "Oh wow, there are skulls on the hilt of your blade" and I said "yeah look closer, they are filigreed into the blade itself. And they're on the pommel. and either side of hilt. And the gems embedded in the sword. They're on my sleeves too, and... etc" Good stuff. Skulls are so key to the Warhammer experience.
I'm not the most observant person, so whilst I had seen a bunch of the obvious ones I mad missed lots of the more subtle ones. I played just after reading the posts and now they're all I can see. Send help! :skeltal:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Are some traits locked out of certain weapon types? Because goddamn I just wasted like 30 red dust trying to get Swift Slaying on a glaive, but kept getting literally everything but that. About half of those rolls was the goddamn useless assist thingy that seems to be literally useless.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Perestroika posted:

Are some traits locked out of certain weapon types? Because goddamn I just wasted like 30 red dust trying to get Swift Slaying on a glaive, but kept getting literally everything but that. About half of those rolls was the goddamn useless assist thingy that seems to be literally useless.

Yes, but you can definitely get swift slaying on a glaive, it's what I run.

https://vermintide2.gamepedia.com/Traits

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
As Slayer, you should think about your leap as an attack speed buff and an AoE knockdown: its primary function is to knock down a group of enemies to make space while also turning on your roid rage (and if you have the talent, you can push 100% uptime in fights).

The ability to traverse terrain with it should be considered a secondary utility - sometimes it lets you make a clutch play, but its primary function is not to dive piles of enemies.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Getting the now completely useless Heroic Intervention over and over on a weapon is one of the best kick in the nuts Ranald does these days. Besides that slow crawl bar to the emps chest that stops like 3 pixels from completing.

And this still a vastly improved loot system over the first game. Idk how they can make such fun gameplay and then just repeatedly nutpunch you on the loot systems but they are Swedish sooooo

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014
For the life of me I can't understand Fatshark business model. They've already sold the game to almost hundred thousand suckers. They have the cash, spending months fixing their garbage pile of a codebase and releasing free content for a thousand autists left doesn't trike me as a good business decision.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Nah its just straight ranald loving you haha you'd think with the very limited pool of options that you would quickly cycle through the different traits but no heres off balance for the 20th time in a loving row.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

chesnok posted:

For the life of me I can't understand Fatshark business model. They've already sold the game to almost hundred thousand suckers. They have the cash, spending months fixing their garbage pile of a codebase and releasing free content for a thousand autists left doesn't trike me as a good business decision.

sometimes, people who make video games, want to make, a fun video game for people to enjoy, op

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

chesnok posted:

Discounting any sort of morals or goodwill on the part of the developers, a happy and healthy playerbase will spend more on future paid DLC and will keep your company's profile high for your next project.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Arghy posted:

Nah its just straight ranald loving you haha you'd think with the very limited pool of options that you would quickly cycle through the different traits but no heres off balance for the 20th time in a loving row.

It's streaky as hell, yeah, and you gotta approach dust as a volume proposition. Six traits to choose from? Don't even start until you have fifteen to twenty orange in the bank. One more melee/ranged trait to broaden the pool, and disallowing traits to repeat on rerolls would get to the same place of dust as currency and feel so much better.

chesnok posted:

you don't understand fatshark wanting to bank up goodwill in the community that kept VT1 going in its darkest hour which set the table for the DLC's and sequel's success, i don't understand late capitalist power bottoms. takes all types to make the world go 'round

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dmboogie posted:

sometimes, people who make video games, want to make, a fun video game for people to enjoy, op

*stares at this post like a host in Westworld*

".... doesn't look like anything, to me"

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

Discounting any sort of morals or goodwill on the part of the developers, a happy and healthy playerbase will spend more on future paid DLC and will keep your company's profile high for your next project.

Doubtful, one polygon or kotaku article brings more sales than all the word of mouth combined.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
small studio releases cheap indie game that becomes unexpectedly popular, rushes to patch it to bring it up to as close to AAA quality as they can to match player expectations before releasing DLC

extremely online gamers change their steam reviews to negative anyway because there aren't enough hats

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

small studio releases cheap indie game that becomes unexpectedly popular, rushes to patch it to bring it up to as close to AAA quality as they can to match player expectations before releasing DLC

extremely online gamers change their steam reviews to negative anyway because bugs known since closed beta are still not fixed

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

chesnok posted:

Doubtful, one polygon or kotaku article brings more sales than all the word of mouth combined.

polygon and kotaku cover a shitload of indie games every single day, it's obviously not that simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

chesnok posted:

Sometimes studios plan to release games after the game the released right now, or maybe even DLC for that current game.

These tend to sell better if your current game is in good shape and your players don't hate you.