Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

I've been reading Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. It's a bit hard to follow the (extremely detailed) court politics due to the translation being flawed, but I'm liking it a fair bit. The protagonist is especially good. I didn't think there would be a protagonist even more divorced from reality than Maine.

Oh poo poo this was an LN first? yesssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Zwingley posted:

Yeah, that's a margherita, so it's basil, not spinach. :v:

Also it looks loving delicious.

The rest of my criticism stands.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Food thing isn't really limited to web novels. Japanese TV is like at least 50% cooking or other kinds of food shows. Pretty much every Japanese festival or seasonal event involves eating dishes specific to that event. Everywhere you go has its own local food they hawk to visitors, from the prefectural level right on down to tiny farming villages. It's the same reason why gourmet manga like Dungeon Meshi or Sokugeki no Souma is its own genre.

It kind of stands out in WNs because a lot of Japanese people haven't had a lot of exposure to real foreign cuisine, sometimes have strange misunderstandings about it, and don't really grasp that people from other cultures might not go bonkers for rice, sushi, or miso soup in the same way that a Japanese person would. So when most WNs are set in other cultures, they often don't adequately communicate that those cultures are different but equal, and instead portray them as simply ignorant and primitive.

Add to that there's a whole subgenre of WNs where the protagonist uses their modern knowledge to improve/conquer the world that are often limited by the protagonist only having the sort of knowledge a typical Japanese everyman would have, which would include a degree of cooking ability. It's also exacerbated by writers making other characters stupid to make the MC seem smart. So you have a ton of WNs where the protagonist will use some simple ingredient that everyone else has ignored for no reason whatsoever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the very limited reference pool for wn authors also makes their versions of fantasy worlds kinda funny

i ended up noping out of bookworm though once we find out this dirt-poor peasant family lives in a third story apartment with individual bedrooms for all their kids

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I would like an Isekai where the MC is from another, far more bizarre fantasy world.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I would like an Isekai where the MC is from another, far more bizarre fantasy world.

That's basically the concept of this harry potter fanfic, the protaganist is isekai'd there from tabletop dnd, but that's the only one like that i can think of

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Are there any manga/other about a Japanese traveling the (real) world and discovering foreign cuisine?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

the very limited reference pool for wn authors also makes their versions of fantasy worlds kinda funny

i ended up noping out of bookworm though once we find out this dirt-poor peasant family lives in a third story apartment with individual bedrooms for all their kids

They address this somewhat later in Bookworm (midway through part 4, I think?) where it's shown that the city is mostly built out of super strong white stone buildings constructed out of thin air by the feudal lord with large-scale magic and the wooden apartments used by poor families like Maine's are just layers of illegal expansions built on top like the Kowloon Walled City. So it's not like you have poor peasants building skyscrapers. Also, IIRC Maine's home was just a bedroom, kitchen/dining, and a storage room, with no private areas.

As far as WN fantasy worlds go, I'd honestly rank Bookworm way up near the top. Most WNs are just generic Dragon Quest clones, but Bookworm actually is pretty unique, and has a lot of interesting worldbuilding and background. It's just that they mostly only get into it in the later parts of the series that haven't been translated yet, and in Part 1 (and part 2 to an extent) Maine never sees any of it because she's five years old, dirt poor, and stuck in the city.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Demon Girl -Tale of a Lax Demon is kind of like this. While the MC has dim memories of her past life on Earth, her main personality, values, memories, etc are all from her time living in hell, from which she's summoned to generic fantasyland.

There's also stuff like Shikaku Mon no Saikyou Kenja and its knockoffs, where you have a character from fantasyland reincarnate thousands of years in the future to a time where magic and stuff isn't as good.

I suppose Death Mage might also count since the MC spends twenty years in an alternate "earth, only with magic" world before traveling to generic fantasyland.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drink up buckaroo

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tags/food-and-beverage

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

khy posted:

Pizza isekai when?

see what i loving mean

you did this as a joke but it still resulted in a lot of foodposting

the universal truth of the internet is that everyone thinks their food opinions are the most important thing in the universe

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Listen, it's imperative we make our voices heard when everyone else is objectively wrong about what the best food is (it's Japanese food).

Tunicate posted:

Yeah they live in essentially a shack and Maine has to share a bed with Tuuli. Lutz lives in one of those places you describe but he has no private space either; it's even a plot point.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Worth remembering that in the days before steel and concrete skyscrapers, the upper levels of multi-story buildings were usually the least desirable places to live. You didn't have luxury penthouse apartments with a great view, just more cramped stairs to walk up and down whenever you needed water.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

UberJew posted:

That's basically the concept of this harry potter fanfic, the protaganist is isekai'd there from tabletop dnd, but that's the only one like that i can think of
Someone posted a fic earlier where the dude isekais into a generic fantasyland... as his d&d character.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-wizard-raised-through-trpg-is-still-the-strongest-in-the-other-world/

But he's overpowered so its kinda meh.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 9, 2018

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Tunicate posted:

Not sure how you got this impression. Here's an illustration of their home:

The higher up you live, the more stairs you need to walk up/down to bring home water from the well, so it's not exactly luxurious to live above ground.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Not to mention, 2 or 3 storey buildings were pretty common in medieval cities anyway because with everything having to be in walking distance (for the common man), building up let you pack all the necessities in closer. Walking past 10 buildings and up a staircase was a lot less than walking past 30 odd buildings. Especially if you need to make several trips to the well or something.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/a/2aMVUqC

Hey, someone finally made a thing about the killer truck driver.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

darkgray posted:

Not sure how you got this impression. Here's an illustration of their home:

The higher up you live, the more stairs you need to walk up/down to bring home water from the well, so it's not exactly luxurious to live above ground.

I checked and the first couple chapters definitely mention there being multiple bedrooms

might have been something that the author silently retconned, dunno. been quite a while and I don't remember all the details

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 9, 2018

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Bakanogami posted:

https://imgur.com/a/2aMVUqC

Hey, someone finally made a thing about the killer truck driver.

LOL. That was pretty good. I like the potential hero selection.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I read some lovely manhua based off of a Chinese WN that's about some Wuxia (I think) character reincarnating into this fantasy world that's kinda like a Xianxia but with everyone having a "spirit item" that they use in combat. As a result, the protagonist knows all this kung-fu from his previous life.

It was not nearly as interesting as it could have been given the premise.

Bakanogami posted:

The Food thing isn't really limited to web novels. Japanese TV is like at least 50% cooking or other kinds of food shows. Pretty much every Japanese festival or seasonal event involves eating dishes specific to that event. Everywhere you go has its own local food they hawk to visitors, from the prefectural level right on down to tiny farming villages. It's the same reason why gourmet manga like Dungeon Meshi or Sokugeki no Souma is its own genre.

It kind of stands out in WNs because a lot of Japanese people haven't had a lot of exposure to real foreign cuisine, sometimes have strange misunderstandings about it, and don't really grasp that people from other cultures might not go bonkers for rice, sushi, or miso soup in the same way that a Japanese person would. So when most WNs are set in other cultures, they often don't adequately communicate that those cultures are different but equal, and instead portray them as simply ignorant and primitive.

Add to that there's a whole subgenre of WNs where the protagonist uses their modern knowledge to improve/conquer the world that are often limited by the protagonist only having the sort of knowledge a typical Japanese everyman would have, which would include a degree of cooking ability. It's also exacerbated by writers making other characters stupid to make the MC seem smart. So you have a ton of WNs where the protagonist will use some simple ingredient that everyone else has ignored for no reason whatsoever.

The kind of goofy thing is that, as much as I like Japanese food, it isn't exactly the most varied or "robust" type of cuisine. Like, I can actually understand Chinese food being treated this way, because China is loving huge and has a gigantic variety of different dishes with different tastes. Same kinda goes for Indian food. But Japanese, while good, is also fairly limited in terms of the variety of tastes it explores.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I read some lovely manhua based off of a Chinese WN that's about some Wuxia (I think) character reincarnating into this fantasy world that's kinda like a Xianxia but with everyone having a "spirit item" that they use in combat. As a result, the protagonist knows all this kung-fu from his previous life.

Sounds like Douluo Dalu, which is the most famous webnovel by Tang Jia San Shao, the most famous Chinese WN author. So not, like, some lovely write-off thing no one has heard of, although maybe not as popular in translation as it was in the original.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 9, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that guy's writing style is really tiresome. he pads the word count by describing each and every one of the dozens of unique advantages which are applied to anything a character does. a guy can't just throw a punch, it has to be accompanied by a reminder of his blah blah martial art and blah blah physical strength and blah blah innate property and blah blah bladdity fuckin' blah. this poo poo just goes on and on for thousands of chapters and hundreds of fights in every one of his works.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Tunicate posted:

I checked and the first couple chapters definitely mention there being multiple bedrooms

might have been something that the author silently retconned, dunno. been quite a while and I don't remember all the details

Hmm, looking at the original text, it seems this misunderstanding stems from the choice to translate "2DK" into "a two-bedroom apartment with a kitchen". Technically a 2DK simply means 2 rooms and a dining/kitchen area. The Bookworm family apartment does indeed have two "rooms" in addition to the kitchen, but one is used for storage (firewood etc) as you can see from the illustration. The entire family sleeps in the same bedroom.

I'm not even sure why I'm arguing about this. I just want more people to enjoy a great story. :unsmith:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Maybe I should go back and edit that. I think my justification at the time was “well there’s technically two rooms plus kitchen and that’s technically what 2DK means” but if it’s legit causing confusion then that’s more than enough reason to go back and fix it.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
FYI: There's an entire site of Food-based webnovels, with attached recipes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silynt posted:

Sounds like Douluo Dalu, which is the most famous webnovel by Tang Jia San Shao, the most famous Chinese WN author. So not, like, some lovely write-off thing no one has heard of, although maybe not as popular in translation as it was in the original.

By "lovely" I mean that the actual story wasn't good; it's entirely possible (and even likely, it seems) for it to be popular/famous despite this.

I think I've said something like this before, but it generally just feels extremely "spastic." Like the sort of thing you'd end up with if some hyper teenagers sat around and thought of what would totally be cool in a Xianxia story and wrote an outline and then someone wrote a story based off the outline that just transitioned directly from point to point with no mind to pacing or editing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Myriad Truths posted:

I've been reading Kusuriya no Hitorigoto. It's a bit hard to follow the (extremely detailed) court politics due to the translation being flawed, but I'm liking it a fair bit. The protagonist is especially good. I didn't think there would be a protagonist even more divorced from reality than Maine.

poo poo, it's sucking me in. Maomao is goddamn magical to follow.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

As someone who has read half of them, I like Daddy's Fantasy World Restaurant the most. Sure it's mostly fluffy slice of life stuff, but the premise being the most hated food critic (which as someone who works in a customer service based role I can relate) reincarnating and the System basically being a punishment forcing him to come good and make the food to his previous standards is cathartic for me.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

Daddy's Fantasy World Restaurant

...System basically being a punishment forcing him to come good

Um

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there an isekai for someone who dies and is reincarnated as an SA forums account

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Argue posted:

Is there an isekai for someone who dies and is reincarnated as an SA forums account

That's basically Hero BBS except that Hero BBS is good, and SA isn't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can see how reincarnating into a gay person would work, but reincarnating to be both dead and gay? that's just confusing.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can see how reincarnating into a gay person would work, but reincarnating to be both dead and gay? that's just confusing.

Dead and asexual works so much better, please read my new web novel Skelebones has no Libido, RIP Harem

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
How can you be reincarnate into a dead thing? I think there might be a step between the two.

"I've been reincarnated as a corpse, its really dark and cramped"-theoretical example.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

lobster22221 posted:

How can you be reincarnate into a dead thing? I think there might be a step between the two.

"I've been reincarnated as a corpse, its really dark and cramped"-theoretical example.

It is about a guy who wishes for immortality so he gets turned into a skelebones, but skelebones has no libido.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
no skeleboners for skelebones lol XD

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Law Cheetah posted:

no skeleboners for skelebones lol XD

See, that's the spirit!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Argue posted:

And he can only communicate via the screams of the damned

LoB's origin story

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

NinjaDebugger posted:

It is about a guy who wishes for immortality so he gets turned into a skelebones, but skelebones has no libido.

I wana read this.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

drilldo squirt posted:

I wana read this.

Isnt that just Overlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

khy posted:

Isekai Ryouridou - AKA "Cooking with Wild Game".

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/cooking-with-wild-game-ln/

I've just caught up to the most recent stuff for this, I really enjoy this. It's got me legit interested in the world building and I want to see what he cooks next.

Was a bit of a rough start and there are the usual LN "oh no this woman loves me what do I do" moments but I liked it enough despite that.