Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

synthetik posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress game I’m thinking of. PS3, robot dudes, free to play, small level arena shooter, stages like a future warehouse, I think it was third person?

edit: might have been in beta when I played. I should look at old trophies maybe.

Dust 514? The EVE fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The guys outside of shops in Yakuza 0 will walk up and chat with you and follow along beside you chatting trying to get you to come into whatever place they're advertising and it's adorable.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

synthetik posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress game I’m thinking of. PS3, robot dudes, free to play, small level arena shooter, stages like a future warehouse, I think it was third person?

edit: might have been in beta when I played. I should look at old trophies maybe.

Warframe was a corridor shooter with some large rooms during beta. Go point a to b, kill everybody in the way.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

The guys outside of shops in Yakuza 0 will walk up and chat with you and follow along beside you chatting trying to get you to come into whatever place they're advertising and it's adorable.

If you completely own the region through either protag's side game, then stopping next to one of those guys will have your character pull out a cig and the advertising guy will light it for you as a sign of respect.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

If you completely own the region through either protag's side game, then stopping next to one of those guys will have your character pull out a cig and the advertising guy will light it for you as a sign of respect.

WHAT

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nboVjIQ0Lw

It might actually only be Kiryu, I'm not really sure.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Push El Burrito posted:

On the other hand, spruikers should all die in a fire.

I hope the game gives you option to do that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When I last played Warframe it was a humongous grindfest where grinds were locked behind other grinds and the only remotely challenging mode was one where you held out against an endless horde of scaling enemies by chaining AoE CC abilities until health scaled so high you couldn't kill anything and everything killed you in one hit. Glad to hear it's gotten better since I quit in disgust.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Yeah there’s a trophy for this. I just got it the other day. It rules.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

When I last played Warframe it was a humongous grindfest where grinds were locked behind other grinds and the only remotely challenging mode was one where you held out against an endless horde of scaling enemies by chaining AoE CC abilities until health scaled so high you couldn't kill anything and everything killed you in one hit. Glad to hear it's gotten better since I quit in disgust.

Well I mean, it still is that, but the grinding is at least fun now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gotta say, when I got sucked into the hype and bought the PS4 2018 God of War, I was not expecting nearly this many Shin Shoryukens.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
In Mafia 3, if you whale on your horn sometimes cars will move out of your way. It is actually helpful. I know GTAs always had cars move out of the way of a siren, but this is the first time I noticed a regular car horn causing cars to move in a game. Of course it won't make pedestrians move.

Also pedestrians will inexplicably leap from the sidewalk into the street if they even think there might be the slightest chance you might go up on the sidewalk or you are going too fast. Some times it irks me when some rear end in a top hat leaps under my wheels every time I want to pass a car while never leaving the road. Other times it amuses me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BobKnob posted:

Also pedestrians will inexplicably leap from the sidewalk into the street if they even think there might be the slightest chance you might go up on the sidewalk or you are going too fast. Some times it irks me when some rear end in a top hat leaps under my wheels every time I want to pass a car while never leaving the road. Other times it amuses me.

This is something that happens a lot in GTA, 3 in particular seems to be a big offender. Its really fun when its a cop that dives under your car :unsmigghh:

What is nice in GTA 3 is that you yourself can do the pedestrian dive when a car comes barreling down at you by pressing jump at the right moment.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

BobKnob posted:

In Mafia 3, if you whale on your horn sometimes cars will move out of your way. It is actually helpful. I know GTAs always had cars move out of the way of a siren, but this is the first time I noticed a regular car horn causing cars to move in a game. Of course it won't make pedestrians move.

In Watch_Dogs2 you can make the cars swerve out of your way :unsmigghh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BobKnob posted:

In Forza Horizon 3, when I honk the horn at people because they merged right in front of me, they take laying on the horn as an invitation to be bros and go on adventures together, while continuing to get in my loving way.

In real life honking at someone and having them follow you is very very bad news.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

synthetik posted:

It’s first person, but that sounds like Blacklight: Retribution

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Leal posted:

This is something that happens a lot in GTA, 3 in particular seems to be a big offender. Its really fun when its a cop that dives under your car :unsmigghh:

What is nice in GTA 3 is that you yourself can do the pedestrian dive when a car comes barreling down at you by pressing jump at the right moment.

In Vice City I noticed if you turn the sirens, cars will actually pull over to get out of your way. Thought that was cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beat the Bolt game on the PS2 - it's really fun although unpolished (haven't played the 360 version, didn't know that there was one). It has a lot of level variety, and towards the end gets quite tricky at times, and there are a lot of enemy types as well. it's cute and fun and all the powers Bolt has are fairly satisfying to use. It's also not too short being 7 hours and 20 minutes long. Penny also gets to break up her stealth sequences with a hacking minigame that's a twin-stick shooter. Yup, Bolt did it before Nier Automata.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gann Jerrod posted:

Blacklight is what I think of when it comes to "Brilliant Idea, Pisspoor Execution".

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Gann Jerrod posted:

This might actually be it. I have some beginner trophies for this game and the timeframe fits. I have no idea how I got them conflated.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat the Bolt game on the PS2 - it's really fun although unpolished (haven't played the 360 version, didn't know that there was one). It has a lot of level variety, and towards the end gets quite tricky at times, and there are a lot of enemy types as well. it's cute and fun and all the powers Bolt has are fairly satisfying to use. It's also not too short being 7 hours and 20 minutes long. Penny also gets to break up her stealth sequences with a hacking minigame that's a twin-stick shooter. Yup, Bolt did it before Nier Automata.

Please never stop.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
BioEnchanted, where do you get hold of all these old games? Or even become aware that they existed? Do you just go digging through Goodwill, or search Ebay with sorting on Least Expensive, or what?

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

Geomancing posted:

BioEnchanted, where do you get hold of all these old games? Or even become aware that they existed? Do you just go digging through Goodwill, or search Ebay with sorting on Least Expensive, or what?

he said a few times hes emulating them

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

synthetik posted:

This might actually be it. I have some beginner trophies for this game and the timeframe fits. I have no idea how I got them conflated.

Same exact thing happened to me. I booted up warframe and was wondering what happened to all the human soldiers and mech suits you could wear.

I confused the same two games as you.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Geomancing posted:

He said emulation as well as random UK thrift shops and stuff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MrJacobs posted:

He said emulation as well as random UK thrift shops and stuff.

With Bolt it was both - It didn't emulate well but the gameplay charmed me enough I bought a real copy off of the internet. Also, sometimes I go to gamefaqs, type a show or movie I liked into the search window and see what comes up. Then if something catches my eye I go to emuparadise to see if there is an ISO I can use to test it out. If, like Bolt, it's overall good and emulates poorly I'll order it online, if it emulates well I just beat it on the emulator.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

synthetik posted:

It was really cool in that you could pay a lot to perma-unlock guns, or just rent them weekly with reasonable amounts of ingame currency. When they “revamped” that the game died. Which is a shame, it was fun as hell while it lasted.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It was really cool in that you could pay a lot to perma-unlock guns, or just rent them weekly with reasonable amounts of ingame currency. When they “revamped” that the game died. Which is a shame, it was fun as hell while it lasted.

Everyone having wallhack was a weird gimmick that somehow worked.
I recall a match where almost my whole team had riot shields so we made a turtle and kept hucking out grenades.
We lost but it was fun.

Not enough cyberpunk games in general, I think.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, sometimes I go to gamefaqs, type a show or movie I liked into the search window and see what comes up.

This is some Galaxy Brain poo poo, I'm legitimately amazed

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm convinced these games don't exist until BioEnchanted actively searches for them, and that retroactively causes the game to be made.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Y'all don't remember the PS2 era and it's millions of shoverware games? Like I haven't been surprised by the fact a single one of those games exists it's more surprising that someone is playing them. The real question: are they actually good games or is Bio just so broken they seem good?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Maybe the former to a degree but I've always seen it as BioEnchanted having a great way with words and a wonderfully positive approach.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

Y'all don't remember the PS2 era and it's millions of shoverware games? Like I haven't been surprised by the fact a single one of those games exists it's more surprising that someone is playing them. The real question: are they actually good games or is Bio just so broken they seem good?

I youtubed that Bolt game and on the 360 at least (I assume the PS2 version is similar but just a bit shittier in every way) it seems like an amusing enough platformer with some fun art direction.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Inzombiac posted:

Everyone having wallhack was a weird gimmick that somehow worked.
I recall a match where almost my whole team had riot shields so we made a turtle and kept hucking out grenades.
We lost but it was fun.

Not enough cyberpunk games in general, I think.

I played a lot of the Resistance 2 (the PS3 alien shoot game) co-op and competitive multiplayer, and one of the guns gave you wallhacks when you aimed down the sights, because it could shoot through walls, and fired fairly quickly. The more walls it went through the more damage it did. Whenever it hit a wall it stopped for a second and created a very noticeable effect on the other side of the wall, so it tended not to actually hit anyone that was paying attention. However, once you learned the map and where people liked to camp it was really easy to murk a dude from behind with like 2 shots from the other side of the map. The game really took pains to make camping an non-viable strategy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Warship Gunner 2, and I just made a ship that mounts ten 100cm deck guns as its primary armament. I cannot stop laughing, and the fact that I'm annihilating enemy ships with part of a single volley only adds to the amusement.

Sure, it used up most of the displacement allotment on a ship that's basically a battleship-sized catamaran, and sure, there's more effective loadouts I could be using with more, smaller guns. But those guns would be smaller.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since you all like my takes I also recently played the Fairly OddParents games, Breaking Da Rules and Shadow Showdown.

The first was a bit crap, poorly presented story that didn't make sense, and wishes that had about 3 uses before the obstacles just stopped showing up (so the levels flowed like "Get stars-Make Wish-Get through 1 third of the level then repeat until 3 wishes have been done) and it was overall pretty dull.

Shadow Showdown took everything the first game did, but did it right. Characterisation/Plot that was consistent with the show, interesting wishes that encouraged exploring the levels after getting each one (being able to turn the entire mansion level upside-down by reversing gravity was loving awesome, and the Ghost Costume was adorable) and collectibles that were fairly hard to find, but rewarding to collect. The boss of the mansion level was annoying, but the rest of the game was great, especially compared to the first game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
BioEnchanted have you played the PS1 World's Wildest Police Chases game yet? It was surprisingly good and they got Sheriff John Bunnell to do the commentary

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been playing Warship Gunner 2, and I just made a ship that mounts ten 100cm deck guns as its primary armament. I cannot stop laughing, and the fact that I'm annihilating enemy ships with part of a single volley only adds to the amusement.

Sure, it used up most of the displacement allotment on a ship that's basically a battleship-sized catamaran, and sure, there's more effective loadouts I could be using with more, smaller guns. But those guns would be smaller.

I keep hearing about the warship gunner games are (I think they were released in North America as the Naval Ops games?). Are they actually good and fun to play, or is it a broken mess that's only redeemed by the "What the gently caress?" aspects of the ship building?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't help but think that anyone standing on the deck of that beautiful monstrosity would be turned into a thin red mist just from the combined shockwave of all the cannons firing :magical:.

And cause a minor tsunami from the water displacement of said shockwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't help but think that anyone standing on the deck of that beautiful monstrosity would be turned into a thin red mist just from the combined shockwave of all the cannons firing :magical:.

And cause a minor tsunami from the water displacement of said shockwave.

That image makes me wonder about a game where you're trying to build an Ace Combat style superweapon.