Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The bible defends slavery so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Peter Parker effectively plans and assists in the execution a calculated murder. I'm just surprised that moment hasn't become a more IIMM point for the film.

The MCU version of Spider-Man is a literal child soldier recruited and trained by a billionaire to be his personal thug. So this isn't surprising for most people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mikl posted:

Avengers movies tend to do that: Chekhov guns that are never fired, or even mentioned. Like in the very first Avengers, when they're fighting before they team up, Thor smacks Cap's shield with his hammer and it lets out a huge energy wave that levels a forest. You'd expect them to use it later in the big final battle to get out of a tight spot, but it never comes up again.

So, the Avengers came out in 2012 and I'm not gonna use spoiler tags on a movie that's six years old. Personally, I thought of that as like a fusion attack like in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 that shows some level of team work with everyone. Like when Tony shoots Captain A's shield and they angle it- for some reason- to kill some aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxS3VzQIG1g&t=11s

And also when Thor hits his shield in Age of Ultron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsWyLwj6r2k&t=232s

As much as I wish they would, team-attacks doing get as much play here as in SuperStar Saga.

Karma Tornado posted:

Why didn't he use one of his teleport circles to cut off Thanos' whole Gauntlet arm instead of just tying him up? They established those circles could lop off limbs like an hour before.

See, you're focused on stuff that doesn't matter at all while the real plot holes slip right by you. Movie kicks off, within eight minutes Thanos and Hulk are fighting- Hulk bursts in after being given a signal to do so- and it seems like the only people left alive are Hulk, Thor, Loki, and Heimdall. Maybe I'm forgetting things. Anyway for someone obsessed with balancing the universe, why did Thanos kill 99.7% of the people on that ship? And how in the blue gently caress did Hulk not burst in until given a signal to do so? The spaceship looks like a ship in FTL whenever I play it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would've appreciated if Thanos getting infinity stones was a major part of more of the preceding movies, when really it only came up in Avengers 1 and Guardians 1. It was hard to believe all the stuff Tony Stark says about how "this guy's been inside my head" since IIRC it was never even really established that anyone even told Stark about Thanos before this movie.

It just felt like Thanos' decision to kick the quest for the stones into high gear now was kind of arbitrary and there was nothing stopping him from getting them earlier.

I know why they didn't do it this way but I would've preferred they have Thanos make a little progress, kill a few more people, in pretty much every movie before this at some point and have him start this movie with all but the last two or three stones, then just have one IW movie. It would have been easier to see him as a looming threat if he'd actually done anything himself in the earlier movies besides sit on a throne.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 13:31 on May 10, 2018

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Memento posted:

But he was a Bad Guy, why would they care about him?

you're right

:smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

So, the Avengers came out in 2012 and I'm not gonna use spoiler tags on a movie that's six years old. Personally, I thought of that as like a fusion attack like in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 that shows some level of team work with everyone. Like when Tony shoots Captain A's shield and they angle it- for some reason- to kill some aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxS3VzQIG1g&t=11s

And also when Thor hits his shield in Age of Ultron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsWyLwj6r2k&t=232s

As much as I wish they would, team-attacks doing get as much play here as in SuperStar Saga.

See, you're focused on stuff that doesn't matter at all while the real plot holes slip right by you. Movie kicks off, within eight minutes Thanos and Hulk are fighting- Hulk bursts in after being given a signal to do so- and it seems like the only people left alive are Hulk, Thor, Loki, and Heimdall. Maybe I'm forgetting things. Anyway for someone obsessed with balancing the universe, why did Thanos kill 99.7% of the people on that ship? And how in the blue gently caress did Hulk not burst in until given a signal to do so? The spaceship looks like a ship in FTL whenever I play it.

Thor mentions later that Half of all Asgardians on the ship were killed, when talking with Peter and Rocket. But, of course, Thanos then blew it up with purple fire, so IDK.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The director confirmed that Valkyrie escaped with some of the people on the ship, probably about half of them. As for why Thanos suddenly kicked his quest into high gear, I saw a fan theory that since Odin is not around any longer, Thanos would actually be able to succeed at collecting the stones. Thor is able to take Thanos down, and Odin is way more powerful than Thor, so Thanos probably knew that with Odin gone, he didn't have to be subtle anymore.

Though, that raises the question of how Thanos found out Odin was dead.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

syscall girl posted:

In Handmaid's Tale the main protagonist is a christian woman even after being hosed over

I'm waiting for the Type-O Negative song

Elizabeth Moss is a scientologist so she's used to that kind of cognitive dissonance.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Leavemywife posted:

The director confirmed that Valkyrie escaped with some of the people on the ship, probably about half of them. As for why Thanos suddenly kicked his quest into high gear, I saw a fan theory that since Odin is not around any longer, Thanos would actually be able to succeed at collecting the stones. Thor is able to take Thanos down, and Odin is way more powerful than Thor, so Thanos probably knew that with Odin gone, he didn't have to be subtle anymore.

Though, that raises the question of how Thanos found out Odin was dead.

I saw a picture in meme format that the three people capable of stopping Thanos or at least preventing him from getting stones, Odin, Sorceress Supreme and Ego are all dead.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This never would have happened if Squirrel Girl was around.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I'm more surprised an alien whose power is goddamn telekinesis dies from getting sucked into space. He can't just float back, telekinetically create a bubble of air around him, something? The other henchmen didn't have quite the degree of jedi powers but survived much more.

Was he dead? Maybe he just can't travel FTL and is now Lost In Space.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tunicate posted:

There was a panning shot of his lifeless body floating in space like an alien popsicle

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tunicate posted:

At the very least we see him floating in space, completely still and covered in frost.

I also would have liked to see more Thanos in the movies leading up but I'm not really upset with what we got.

Tony saying "he's been in my head" was probably referring to Scarlet Witch messing with his brain in Ultron, which lead to some stuff in IM3 and a vision of basically the end of Infinity War part 1. Tony is finally connecting the dots.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Tony saying "he's been in my head" was probably referring to Scarlet Witch messing with his brain in Ultron, which lead to some stuff in IM3 and a vision of basically the end of Infinity War part 1. Tony is finally connecting the dots.

Some Time Stone fuckery right there - Iron Man 3 was released 2 years before Ultron so Scarlet Witch's messing can't have lead to anything in it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inzombiac posted:

I took it as metaphorical, i.e. the PTSD he's had since Iron Man 3

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

EmptyVessel posted:

Some Time Stone fuckery right there - Iron Man 3 was released 2 years before Ultron so Scarlet Witch's messing can't have lead to anything in it.

Hahaha, drat. So many movies I got all jumbled up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tony started having panic attacks after the first Avengers which was all initiated by Thanos. The trauma he got from that was what I figured he meant.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Milo and POTUS posted:

I saw a picture in meme format that the three people capable of stopping Thanos or at least preventing him from getting stones, Odin, Sorceress Supreme and Ego are all dead.

Yeah. Odin is the big one, as remember Peter Dinklage's race was supposed to be protected by Asgard. With Odin/Asgard dead, Thanos could force the dwarves to make him the gauntlet. Nebula attempting to kill Thanos and getting captured and inadvertently revealing that Gamora knows where the last soul stone is also probably played a part in him deciding to act on the stones

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Mikl posted:

Avengers movies tend to do that: Chekhov guns that are never fired, or even mentioned. Like in the very first Avengers, when they're fighting before they team up, Thor smacks Cap's shield with his hammer and it lets out a huge energy wave that levels a forest. You'd expect them to use it later in the big final battle to get out of a tight spot, but it never comes up again.

I think the chekovs gun in this case is Banners fight at the end. You expect him to lose against large angry alien dude, but since they cut his arm off earlier it allowed him to jam the hulk buster arm on it. it subverts the obvious play, but still has ramifications in the movie.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
In A Hard Day's Night, there's that segment where George Harrison is teaching Shake how to shave with a safety razor and Shake says that he comes from a long line of electricians. But in the mid-60's UK, was electricity available for public consumption long enough that someone could have "come from a long line of electricians"? Like it seems to me that even after the infrastructure is set up and the services start becoming available, it's still going to be a while before there's a general "electrician" profession.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
An adult in the 1960's could easily be the great-grandson of an electrician.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

London had electric lighting in 1891.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
well that takes care of that, then

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I thought movies had learned their lesson and we were past the cringe-inducing overly-saccharine "it's cool to be weird" movies like Garden State etc. But then I watched (well, the first 20 minutes anyway) of "The Clapper" and it's as bad as ever. It's presented as a romantic comedy but seeing amanda seyfried ramble about "i'm so quirky lol" while cheesy music plays in the background neither makes me think of romance or makes me laugh. It's just awful.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I thought movies had learned their lesson and we were past the cringe-inducing overly-saccharine "it's cool to be weird" movies like Garden State etc. But then I watched (well, the first 20 minutes anyway) of "The Clapper" and it's as bad as ever. It's presented as a romantic comedy but seeing amanda seyfried ramble about "i'm so quirky lol" while cheesy music plays in the background neither makes me think of romance or makes me laugh. It's just awful.

There’s that other movie with Amanda Seyfried and also Ben Solo that I think is a good pivot on that genre. The one with the beastie boy and also Ben Stiller.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kramdar posted:

There’s that other movie with Amanda Seyfried and also Ben Solo that I think is a good pivot on that genre. The one with the beastie boy and also Ben Stiller.
"While We're Young"

Yeah that was a pretty good flick. Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried do a great job playing insufferable hipsters

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who have a successful hiding spot who immediately abandon it once the thing/person hunting them leaves the area. For example: The Sacrament. One of father's guard guys clears the cabin you're hiding under a bed in, and after he leaves you immediately leave. Hide there until help arrives. They aren't the criminal equivalent of someone scouring the apartment for their keys, if they don't see you the first time they probably aren't going to come back. Just stay put.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People who have a successful hiding spot who immediately abandon it once the thing/person hunting them leaves the area. For example: The Sacrament. One of father's guard guys clears the cabin you're hiding under a bed in, and after he leaves you immediately leave. Hide there until help arrives. They aren't the criminal equivalent of someone scouring the apartment for their keys, if they don't see you the first time they probably aren't going to come back. Just stay put.

Similar to that I always hate when the baddies can follow the good guys perfectly even though they're way behind and the goodies take like ten different turns the bad guys didn't see.

I've been rereading His Dark Materials recently and it's a shame the film was such a flop because the casting is just incredible imo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I've been rereading His Dark Materials recently and it's a shame the film was such a flop because the casting is just incredible imo.
It's completely wasted though. Christopher Lee gets one line which is one more line then Kristin Scott Thomas gets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched the new Ghostbusters (it's really bad) and who the hell is this the ghost of:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It's completely wasted though. Christopher Lee gets one line which is one more line then Kristin Scott Thomas gets.

Daniel Craig as Asriel and Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter are top selections also imo, and Ian McKellen as Iorek and Ian McShane as Iofur. Christ that golden monkey is a piece of poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that being one of the first movies (Eragon was another) that I watched in the cinema which made me think, "This is pretty... bad?" while I was there. Usually I enjoy movies I go out to see while I'm at the theatre and then if I turn against them it happens later on.

One thing about Golden Compass that I've always remembered is that it came off to me like it was aiming for fans of the books, in the sense that characters would appear, Lyra would recognise them, and I think the implication was that we're supposed to know who they are even though we've not seen them before. I remember when Billy's mum shows up, Lyra exclaims, "Ma Costa!" but a) Ma Costa hadn't appeared in the movie yet; b) by then, Billy had been absent for most of the movie; and c) I'm fairly sure his surname hadn't been mentioned.

Lots of telling rather than showing, as well, particularly at the end. Most egregiously, after Daniel Craig is captured near the start of the movie and doesn't appear for the whole thing after that, there's one scene right at the end where it cuts to him shaving his beard while either Nicole Kidman or Eva Green narrates, "Lord Asriel bribed his guards and escaped," and that's that. In fact, the entire ending is very abrupt; the final scene for Nicole Kidman, the big villain of the piece, has her seen from behind as she walks down a corridor delivering some humdrum plot machination dialogue.

Most irritatingly, I can't understand why I remember so much of what I didn't enjoy in a movie I saw a grand total of once 11 years ago. :suicide:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's main problem is that I think the studio saw it as a Harry Potter type thing when the first book seems like more of a child's adventure but it's about literally murdering god baby woooo

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

It's main problem is that I think the studio saw it as a Harry Potter type thing when the first book seems like more of a child's adventure but it's about literally murdering god baby woooo

At least they attempted to turn it into a high fantasy Harry Potter/Narnia type deal in the film, unlike Bridge to Terabithia which looked like it was a HP/Narnia film in all the trailers and marketing when in fact it's a very thoughtful story about two bullied children - one from a poor family and the other pretty well-off - who form a friendship based on their shared love of fantasy stories, and then one of them suddenly has to learn to deal with the death of a friend and the ensuing survivor's guilt

A friend of mine worked at the cinema when that came out and said there were a LOT of crying children that came out of the theatre before the movie ended, with several parents angry that the advertising for the film was so misleading.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

At least they attempted to turn it into a high fantasy Harry Potter/Narnia type deal in the film, unlike Bridge to Terabithia which looked like it was a HP/Narnia film in all the trailers and marketing when in fact it's a very thoughtful story about two bullied children - one from a poor family and the other pretty well-off - who form a friendship based on their shared love of fantasy stories, and then one of them suddenly has to learn to deal with the death of a friend and the ensuing survivor's guilt

A friend of mine worked at the cinema when that came out and said there were a LOT of crying children that came out of the theatre before the movie ended, with several parents angry that the advertising for the film was so misleading.

I don't believe you. You're lying to me. You lie!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Quote-Unquote posted:

My coworker didn't know about the twist and took it to her boyfriend's house to watch with him and his two kids. She was not amused but the kids went on to rewatch the movie like a dozen times because kids are weird.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Quote-Unquote posted:

When I was a kid our English textbooks were a bunch of random chapters from different books and then workbooks with questions on it. This was one of the many books I went on to take out of the library to read the whole thing. I don't remember it super well but I do remember that rope swing :whitewater:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I read the book when I was 11 and loved it. I hated the look of the film based on the marketing but my aforementioned friend got me in to see it for free so I figured I would watch it. I was genuinely surprised by how good it was.

Iirc the author was closely involved to make sure they didn't gently caress it up by changing it to the Harry potter/Narnia fan base.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

Tbf it was god euthanasia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love how it's almost impossible to make a genre movie that can't get at least a 6.0 rating on IMDB. There really are people who are just happy with the pretty moving colors. It's like the video game rating scale where 100 = great, 90-99 = good, 80-89 = ok, and 0-79 = garbage.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:30 on May 12, 2018