Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if he just set up a serious situation and then let them goof through it, but he sets up and then kind of talks over them and ignores their impact on the situation. (See everything at the end of Petal to the Metal)

I started this conversation saying I was a few episodes away from this, I just got there, so, uh, thanks for taking the wind outta that one.

Ah poo poo my bad, I'll spoiler that one out.

EDIT: You might need to throw that tag on your quote too.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

CubeTheory posted:

I started this conversation saying I was a few episodes away from this, I just got there, so, uh, thanks for taking the wind outta that one.
Well I thought that guy was dead and didn't even realize it was a spoiler

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Elysiume posted:

He is, don’t worry about it. It’s complicated.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Elysiume posted:

We've all failed!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Elysiume posted:

I mean to be fair its a pretty irrelevant spoiler that literal one off joke character gets inserted into an important role. The one off joke character you meet shares absolutely nothing with this new character other than the name because of being a fan favourite. Its as if one of the random goblins they kill in their first episode had shown up again to do stuff.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Robiben posted:

I'm super new to DnD. I recently started Lost Mines of Phandelver with a bunch or other newbies (including the DM) and have been enjoying it a fair bit.

One thing The Adventure Zone does right is implant the IDEA of DnD. I had a very slight interest in DnD before listening but after seeing how much fun they were having we decided to take the plunge.

The acknowledge that they gently caress with the rules a lot so it wasn't surprising when stuff turned out to be different. They at least give you a very gooey understanding which you can clarify by just reading the rules.

Honestly my big problem with TAZ is that it became more about the story than just playing DnD and making goofs. I dropped it when they started The Longest Year chapter but really I should have stopped before then. If you want a serious story that's cool but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Side Note: This thread has actually been pretty helpful so i'm glad I read it the whole way through.

I'd just like to post to say that my experience mirrors this almost exactly, the I've listened to Dragon Friends instead of The Adventure Zone because I'm Australian.

So uh go listen to that if you are ok with a D&D podcast fudging the rules and making jokes instead cos its really good

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'd just like to post to say that my experience mirrors this almost exactly, the I've listened to Dragon Friends instead of The Adventure Zone because I'm Australian.

So uh go listen to that if you are ok with a D&D podcast fudging the rules and making jokes instead cos its really good

I'll give these guys a try, I'm way more on board with a podcast that plays D&D in name only. Its ironically when TAZ starts pulling in realism rules is when it becomes un-listenable.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Barry is a stand-in for Sildar from LMOP... but worse. I listened to the first 4? 5? episodes of TAZ, but based on the format and personalities, I probably wouldn't listen past the D&D or even the LMOP stuff. The comedy is fine and good and I appreciate it, but it's just like you guys said. Already I noticed how dismissive he is of the player's actions. I also have issue with people cutting in a joke as soon as I try to lay out the drama, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Moments of levity and jokes = super fun and good, I just don't like it in the middle of my villain monologue or something.

If you like their regular podcast, or just like the idea of "actual play", it's edited? fairly well and moves at a good pace. I'd rather listen to a D&D podcast, though. There's already a ton of great podcasts about cool stories.

Some of the players in my game listen to a podcast called "Drunks & Dragons" which have like 45 min. episodes full of FYAD jokes if you like that (no judging).

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 10, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Barry is a stand-in for Sildar from LMOP... but worse. I listened to the first 4? 5? episodes of TAZ, but based on the format and personalities, I probably wouldn't listen past the D&D or even the LMOP stuff. The comedy is fine and good and I appreciate it, but it's just like you guys said. Already I noticed how dismissive he is of the player's actions. I also have issue with people cutting in a joke as soon as I try to lay out the drama, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Moments of levity and jokes = super fun and good, I just don't like it in the middle of my villain monologue or something.

Look I think stuff like that is fine if everyone going in with the same expectations. If you go in for a serious game then you don't want that poo poo but if you're calling you're NPC's barry blue jeans and the like then its fine. It just means you can roll that back later for a serious business game later.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Still listening to TAZ and thinking: Justin McElroy is a gift from god.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Still listening to TAZ and thinking: Justin McElroy is a gift from god.

I probably laugh the most at Griffin, due to the sheer volume of nonsense he say, but Justin is far and away the best at constructing a joke.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

thefakenews posted:

I probably laugh the most at Griffin, due to the sheer volume of nonsense he say, but Justin is far and away the best at constructing a joke.

Griffin makes me smile, but Justin makes me laugh out loud.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Griffin makes me smile, but Justin makes me laugh out loud.

Agreed

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes to all. But I would have swiveling them cost movement.

So if I make a successful grapple, I could jump, lift, then release the grapple to cause a 10' fall for just the movement cost of jumping? (1d6 and prone)

With a grapple, dropping prone would also knock the creature prone without a shove check?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

TAZ is nice and all but the funniest actual play is Dames and Dragons. Relentless goofiness and great chemistry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Forever_Peace posted:

TAZ is nice and all but the funniest actual play is Dames and Dragons. Relentless goofiness and great chemistry.

this is the first I've heard of them, are they that good?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite AP atm is Neo Scum, but that’s Shadowrun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

My favorite AP atm is Neo Scum, but that’s Shadowrun.

yea TAZ is great but my favorite AP right now is a three way tie between Neoscum, Not Another D&D Podcast, and Dragon Friends

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
NaDDP is pretty new, but they hit a really good balance of storytelling, goofs, and derails very quickly.

Dragon Friends most closely mirrors my D&D experience though: Everyone is drunk and screaming obscenities while the DM is in a mad scramble to make sense of everyone's idiot ideas.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I laugh out loud at least once for every TAZ episode. If any of these come close to that, I will pick them up immediately.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Forever_Peace posted:

So if I make a successful grapple, I could jump, lift, then release the grapple to cause a 10' fall for just the movement cost of jumping? (1d6 and prone)

With a grapple, dropping prone would also knock the creature prone without a shove check?

If your character is capable of a 10ft high standing jump yes. Anything less then that and I would say the enemy would keep their balance easily. (Unless they are large or bigger. As you would need to go even higher with them to give them a good fall.) As you can't simply drop them prone unless your in the air and can drop them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In other news some Halflings and Gnomes preview stuff from polygon.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/10/17339208/dungeons-dragons-sourcebook-mordenkainens-tome-of-foes-preview

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I don't like this thing Wizards is doing where they put both player and DM options in every single book. It's obnoxious as hell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't like this thing Wizards is doing where they put both player and DM options in every single book. It's obnoxious as hell.

Why. I like this format better myself.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It makes everyone have to buy every book regardless if they primarily play or DM. If you do both, you won't notice a hit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Or the DM buys every book and you read them at their house....it's not necessarily ideal but it prevents double dipping. It makes them sorta vaguely in-character items as well, because you only get to reference them while you're adventuring. (That hot springs island sandbox that explicitly published a hardcover field guide to be used as an in-game item seems pretty drat cool.)

If you play online, then just uhh, I dunno, delete the PDFs within 24 hours of your session :sweatdrop:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I think Godsfall has the right idea where the main show is "An audio drama based on a 5e campaign." While releasing the 4 hour uncut sessions for people that really wanna hear Dorro making pickpocket checks for an hour and bonus episode vignettes if you're listening primarily for the gay Sorcerer and Cleric couple.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Or the DM buys every book and you read them at their house....it's not necessarily ideal but it prevents double dipping. It makes them sorta vaguely in-character items as well, because you only get to reference them while you're adventuring. (That hot springs island sandbox that explicitly published a hardcover field guide to be used as an in-game item seems pretty drat cool.)

If you play online, then just uhh, I dunno, delete the PDFs within 24 hours of your session :sweatdrop:

Well the adventures don't really have much player material.

Anyway the upcoming book just has race options which are pretty easy to share with a player if they are not interested in the lore or monster manual parts.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 10, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I still hold it against TAZ for how they handled LMOP just because it convinced my DM to take this extremely dark and tense slightly homebrewed version we had going and then drop in "haha effeminate Euro accents" just shattering the vibe and a few other seriously unwelcome references

It's not particularly TAZ's fault and little by little I'm growing disillusioned with this game after a year but man. Ugh. One of those things where someone's fun isn't wrong but I wish their people weren't so goddamned *evangelical* about that fun.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yeahhh I get that--I like some lightheartedness but (again, not trying to police anyone's fun) I like some...I dunno, some gravitas? Something meatier? Constant riffing gets long in the teeth for me

I like some *funny*, but not wacky or zany

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeahhh I get that--I like some lightheartedness but (again, not trying to police anyone's fun) I like some...I dunno, some gravitas? Something meatier? Constant riffing gets long in the teeth for me

I like some *funny*, but not wacky or zany

I'm enjoying the poo poo outta Critical Role, which I found out about only a few weeks ago because I'm apparently years behind on everything tabletop now (I blame shadowrun 5e). It's serious enough while also being about what you'd expect from a bunch of nerdy people playing D&D.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Humor level / tone is one of the main things I try to establish in session zero with a new group. Getting the balance right is tough but worth it. We went too grimdark with CoS and ended up burning out before the castle. We have a few running jokes in our current campaign and a funny item/NPC or two but nothing over the top.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My current group is in a serious geopolitical game of intrigue but I am playing a barbarian and doing the voice of Father Ted so I get told to wait outside of meetings a lot now.

"Well we've got sabres, duelling swords... Um greatswords..."

"You've greatswords now do you! That sounds fine and well but have you got anything a little better?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean haven't you got maybe a wonderful sword back there for me?"

I got banned from the shop eventually.

E: after seeing a map of the city sewers

"Right... I see. Well look I don't want to alarm anyone but it appears there may be a giant worm under the town."

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I my current campaign everything gets taken fairly seriously, but there is a character I invented that is a young girl goddess of chaos that is essentially 'Q' from Star Trek that puts the characters in strange situations that wouldn't exist in normal day to day adventures. She's only shown up twice, but both times were wacky and fun, it helps break up the seriousness of it a little.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I still hold it against TAZ for how they handled LMOP just because it convinced my DM to take this extremely dark and tense slightly homebrewed version we had going and then drop in "haha effeminate Euro accents" just shattering the vibe and a few other seriously unwelcome references

It's not particularly TAZ's fault and little by little I'm growing disillusioned with this game after a year but man. Ugh. One of those things where someone's fun isn't wrong but I wish their people weren't so goddamned *evangelical* about that fun.

Session 0 is so insanely critical to having a good experience and you will basically never see it done/done right in any podcast or AP or anything. The end result is this tonal mess if you're lucky, or an incredibly frustrating slog if your unlucky.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gotta mention my personal favorite Actual Play podcast Friends at the Table for not only doing a lot of session 0 work but for doing it as episodes of the podcast so that people who are interested in the collaborative pregame can listen or if you don’t care you can jump right into a game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gotta mention my personal favorite Actual Play podcast Friends at the Table for not only doing a lot of session 0 work but for doing it as episodes of the podcast so that people who are interested in the collaborative pregame can listen or if you don’t care you can jump right into a game.

100% going to give this a shot now.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Mr. Maltose posted:

Is that the Austin Walker thing?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, he’s the GM except when they play GMless games. Another good thing about FaaT is they play a variety of games, a lot of which are better for podcasting compared to 5E (and they aren’t afraid to abandon ones that don’t mesh well, rip Technoir)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's another actual play show called Heroes of Awesome that's doing a Planescape show now and as you might expect from the title, it's kind of dissonant to Planescape. I wanna stick with it but I'm pretty sure there's just more disappointment in the future.