Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Video and song sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TenaciousTomato posted:

Video and song sucks

You could reply to all of these types of posts with “this is America.”

Cool, you’re part of the problem (it’s called “liberal racism” and was what Get Out was also about). If you’re cool with being part of the problem you’re probably a piece of poo poo hth

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Cool, you’re part of the problem (it’s called “liberal racism” and was what Get Out was also about). If you’re cool with being part of the problem you’re probably a piece of poo poo hth

lol

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I get extreme anxiety when I hear Gummo come on out in the college bars because I'm afraid some poo poo is about to pop off.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

boop the snoot posted:

Nice meltdown

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This thread is like a trip inside how Trump’s brain works with regard to black people needing to shut up and entertain.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean my interpretation of the video is that it's trying to point out the dilemma of black artists pursuing success at the expense of their underlying culture by way of performing up to the expectations set by white people. The track kind of ties into that with the spiritual/gospel style interludes breaking up the experimental sounding beat.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
This is America
fragile whites in my area
They don't like rap
that paints them like barbarians.

Yeah yeah imma go into this (ugh)
yeah yeah their posts are poo poo (goons)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Explaining art is lame and I won’t do it. But acting like the video is shallow or not subtle pretty dumb and you should clear your thoughts with a glass of bleach.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vargatron posted:

I mean my interpretation of the video is that it's trying to point out the dilemma of black artists pursuing success at the expense of their underlying culture by way of performing up to the expectations set by white people. The track kind of ties into that with the spiritual/gospel style interludes breaking up the experimental sounding beat.

I agree with this but stuff like shooting the guy in the beginning and putting the gun on the red cloth before the body gets dragged away makes me think it goes beyond that. Nobody cares what black people go through, so nobody cares about all of the poo poo going on behind the dancing. America just wants black people to shut up and be entertaining.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Get Out was about the kind of white people who would talk incessantly about how much they love the video

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean I'm not going to write an essay about the whole thing, but I see what he's trying to do. Music wasn't really my thing but I don't actively dislike it.

I also think it's funny that there's a bunch of other videos out there providing interpretations. Sometimes people read into things too much or find meaning where none is there.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Beans posted:

This is America
fragile whites in my area
They don't like rap
that paints them like barbarians.

Yeah yeah imma go into this (ugh)
yeah yeah their posts are poo poo (goons)

Powerful avatar/post combo

temple
Jul 29, 2006

i miss gucci 1.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-F88c6Hrk

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think we are all thirsty for new music. Come on, Ye. Pusha T album coming out soon.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Get Out was about the kind of white people who would talk incessantly about how much they love the video

no its about white people who would watch this video and think "this isnt about me i voted for obama and have a black friend"

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

no its about white people who would watch this video and think "this isnt about me i voted for obama and have a black friend"

My dad would have voted for Obama a third time if he could've.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

Those groups of people are not at all mutually exclusive

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
lmao at the guy who was just in here shaming us for wanting entertainment to be entertaining

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Remember when Mike Pence and a bunch of republicans wanted the cast of Hamilton to just do the play and be quiet?

Lmao at people who disagreed with them wanting that play to just be entertaining.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yee haw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwrvrpum4q4

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

poop dood posted:

lmao at the guy who was just in here shaming us for wanting entertainment to be entertaining

:thunk:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Et1siZhTk

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I still laugh at this video every time. This is my best friend and I remember the call when he had me unlock the door to our apartment cause he lost the keys in he ambulance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

You are the exact person the song and video are about.

DANCE DONALD BUT BE ENTERTAINING I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE!!!!

It’s just a song the same way protests are just walks down the street. Get out of my way people I gotta go to work!!

Basically if all you’re concerned with is a black dude entertaining you and you ignore every other thing going on, you are America.

Make a bad song. Dance around in the video. People only talk about the bad song and the dancing. Point proven.

:chloe:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Another retard for the ignore list!

\/\/

lol

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 10, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

don't sign your posts

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

\/\/

lol

Lol check out this pussy

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://pitchfork.com/news/spotify-removes-r-kelly-from-its-playlists/

drat where am I going to get my fix for serial abusers/sexual deviants now???

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vargatron posted:

The films of Woodie Allen?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Vargatron posted:

keep that same energy for white artists

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Idk if you think the video is better than I do but getting all up in it about this dumb poo poo is the exact same line of thinking that made people melt down itt about how kanye coudn't possibly have meant "keep it 300 like the romans" as anything other than an intentional mistake meant to highlight perceptions of rich and intelligent black people and therefore

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

also thread god has spoken so that'sthat

TenaciousTomato posted:

Video and song sucks

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

also i'm still going to listen to r kelly because his poo poo bangs kids

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Unironically TP2.com kills.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vargatron posted:

Is Ice Cube's first album his best or are there other ones that are good too? I started spinning it today and holy gently caress he is mad as gently caress.

Going back a bit but his first album is his "best" imo. The reason I'm using quotes is it's different from the vast majority of his output after that. After that he started going a lot harder into typical west coast gangsta stuff. Also the production went more towards that sound vs. the more boom bap stuff that the bomb squad gave him on his first album.

So basically if you prefer angry, politcal street raps you'll love his first album best. If you prefer the mid 90's/early '00's west coast gangsta sound, you'll probably wanna check everything up to War & Peace and the Westside Connection stuff.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

You are the exact person the song and video are about.

DANCE DONALD BUT BE ENTERTAINING I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE!!!!

It’s just a song the same way protests are just walks down the street. Get out of my way people I gotta go to work!!

Basically if all you’re concerned with is a black dude entertaining you and you ignore every other thing going on, you are America.

Make a bad song. Dance around in the video. People only talk about the bad song and the dancing. Point proven.

I'm not sure if you realized it with your galaxy brain thinking and all but it's possible to make music that's both good and has a point.

that said the video and song has had it's intended effect, which is "make white people think donglover is a genius"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

nah he's not hyperfocused on white ppl like yeezy, it's just broad fishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

See but Lupe's making a good song here. Also Lupe's actually made songs that have had a sound copying what's popular, yet still have a point and are actually good songs independently.