Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I have a Synology 212j with two 3gb drives in RAID-1. If I yank one and replace it with a 6tb drive, will it correctly duplicate from the 3gb, and then can I replace the other 3gb drive with another 6tb drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twerk from Home posted:

How far up the denverton product stack did you go? Did you have 2 cores, or 16 cores in each?

All the way to the bottom for me; I'm only using them as backup NASes, nothing else. SuperMicro A2SDi-2C-HLN4F: Atom C3338, and in my case, paired with 4GB ECC RAM.
The higher-end models would probably pack a decent punch for transcoding/VMs, etc.
As it stands, I can go above 70% CPU load just loading the thing up with data at full speed (parity calculations).
Even under those conditions, the CPU stays at ~45°C with a 22°C ambient in the DS380. CPU temps are never a problem. Drives on the other hand - the DS380 can let them get a bit toasty if you're running the NAS for long stretches.
I'm using unRAID in turbo (reconstruct) write mode, so all drives are active when I have it powered up. Someone who wasn't using in that manner could expect decent thermals when accessing a single drive, of course.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 8, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sneeze Party posted:

I have a Synology 212j with two 3gb drives in RAID-1. If I yank one and replace it with a 6tb drive, will it correctly duplicate from the 3gb, and then can I replace the other 3gb drive with another 6tb drive?

It should. It'll probably take a long time, but that's the best way. Be sure to backup prior to yanking, RAID is not backup, yadda yadda yadda.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

DrDork posted:

What exactly were you doing that got your drives up to 60C? :raise:

Mine are shoved in a reasonably small box, in a closed closet, and generally are in the mid-30's while being lazy, and the mid-40's while under load and/or during the summer when I get cranky about turning the A/C on.
Closed closet that also had my water heater (I had the machine off the floor, I'm not that insane), 9 5400 RPM hard drives, 2 120 mm fans at low RPMs in a mini-tower micro ATX case, and my hardware temperature alerts started going off and they were set to 75C. The system temperature was pretty drat high, period. Didn't have any other reasonable place I could put the machine despite being in a 1700 sq ft house because of the hard drive whir alone. Nowadays I have it in a cool basement in the same basement and it's in the mid-30s. The U-NAS NSC-800 chassis I have has almost no airflow and manages to get under 40C for the drives though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

The cooling on those weren’t very good last I heard and while the drive lifespan v temperature stats don’t show much their stats cut off around 42 degrees when most people’s home NAS systems can hit 60C in a white box drive cage (mine did at least before I got some more fans).
A small-ish piece of cardboard that helps guide the airflow is all that's really needed.

HalloKitty posted:

I built two supermicro denverton machines in silverstone ds380s with 8 drives in each :v:
Ecc ram.. unraid.. I could throw up some photos
Do feel free to share. I'm still hoping to be able to save up to afford it, if the motherboard ever actually becomes available anywhere in Denmark.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 9, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like a new Atom degradation bug was found, hidden in the data sheets for months without an announcement.

https://www.servethehome.com/another-atom-bomb-intel-e3800-bay-trail-atom-vli89-bug/
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/atom-bay-trail-dying-because-of-lpc-bus-design-flaw.19402/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvermont#Erratum

There’s not much info out there as the details appear to be under NDA. I figured I’d post this here because our Synology died to the C2000 series bug and the Intel thread doesn’t seem to care much about Atoms.

“Public Intel specification update” posted:

Problem: Under certain conditions where activity is high for several years the LPC, USB (low speed and full speed) and SD Card circuitry may stop functioning in the outer years of
use.
Implication: LPC circuitry that stops functioning may cause operation to cease or inability to boot.

Wikipedia mentions a lifetime expectancy per USB port, once that’s exceeded there appears to be a chance that the system will fail to boot. The poster who found the info says Pentium N/J 4000 and Celeron N/J 3000 based systems may also be affected. Anyway I’m done with Atom based NAS appliances.

eames fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 10, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I am confused as to how, in 2018, it is apparently difficult to engineer USB circuitry that doesn't self-immolate after a while. I mean, this has been a solved problem for literally two decades at this point.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
One could also ask how Microsoft makes a Windows Update that trashes your bootloader if you have a certain model of Intel SSD, because that makes sense.

I'm at least somewhat sympathetic towards Intel given the obstacles involved in processor design and fabrication.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 10, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DrDork posted:

I am confused as to how, in 2018, it is apparently difficult to engineer USB circuitry that doesn't self-immolate after a while. I mean, this has been a solved problem for literally two decades at this point.

Engineering is not easy. Bugs arise. Regressions happen.

You should absolutely expect things like this to happen from the best of companies and engineers.

The difference in quality is in how the company and engineers react when such things do happen.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Every now and again? Sure. Three generations in a row on a subsystem that hasn't really changed much over the years? That's a bit more of an eyebrow raiser.

It'll be fun to see if they offer to replace all the 3000 and 4000 chips that are floating around out there.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
That might come down to the fact that it takes a while to detect this issue, such that the subsequent generations might have been already planned out before they figured out what mistake they made.

I mean, imagine if you had a bug where a certain counter was overflowing instead of resetting properly but this counter ticks up slowly so it takes several months to hit maximum. I've seen a couple like this, so it's not purely a hypothetical. If no one detected the bug in internal reviews and it got released, you could very well have multiple releases out with it before a customer saw the overflow and raised a ticket.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep posted:

One could also ask how Microsoft makes a Windows Update that trashes your bootloader if you have a certain model of Intel SSD, because that makes sense.

I'm at least somewhat sympathetic towards Intel given the obstacles involved in processor design and fabrication.

Wonderful. I sold at least 10 of those.

Intel is really loving up these days. I guess thats what years of no competition gets you.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 10, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

That might come down to the fact that it takes a while to detect this issue, such that the subsequent generations might have been already planned out before they figured out what mistake they made.

I mean, imagine if you had a bug where a certain counter was overflowing instead of resetting properly but this counter ticks up slowly so it takes several months to hit maximum. I've seen a couple like this, so it's not purely a hypothetical. If no one detected the bug in internal reviews and it got released, you could very well have multiple releases out with it before a customer saw the overflow and raised a ticket.

Well, it depends on how that bug is handled. If this was purely software and there was a patch that resolved it, great.

If it doesn't happen until the systems are out of warranty anyway and Intel tells everyone to pound sand... that's kinda poo poo.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Oh, definitely - I'm not trying to comment on Intel's response to the issue, just explaining how the bug might have made it into subsequent generations before being noticed in the first.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just chiming in to say that Synology support just RMA'd my 4 year old (3 year warranty) DS1815+ with no questions asked. Unit started doing constant raid scrubbing (`cat /proc/mdstat` showed "the big volume" resyncing constantly), hanging file services, and eventually failing to stay on after pressing the power button. Told them this and the initial reply back was them mailing me a new unit. A+ would spend far too much money again. No BS, no "have you tried not having disks" etc.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Just chiming in to say that Synology support just RMA'd my 4 year old (3 year warranty) DS1815+ with no questions asked. Unit started doing constant raid scrubbing (`cat /proc/mdstat` showed "the big volume" resyncing constantly), hanging file services, and eventually failing to stay on after pressing the power button. Told them this and the initial reply back was them mailing me a new unit. A+ would spend far too much money again. No BS, no "have you tried not having disks" etc.

Sounds like you just barely made the 4 year cutoff for the C2000 bug - they extended the warranties of all the XX15+ models by a year as their response to it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

Sounds like you just barely made the 4 year cutoff for the C2000 bug - they extended the warranties of all the XX15+ models by a year as their response to it.

Ah, I'll be damned. I vaguely recall the C2000 bug and had completely forgotten my Synology was affected by it. I am in fact rounding up a little over 3.5 years to 4 so that would explain it. I guess I should expect to replace this unit in 3 years or is the hardware bug fixed? Google is yielding lots of teeth gnashing and pre-recall "everything is fine" notices from Synology.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Ah, I'll be damned. I vaguely recall the C2000 bug and had completely forgotten my Synology was affected by it. I am in fact rounding up a little over 3.5 years to 4 so that would explain it. I guess I should expect to replace this unit in 3 years or is the hardware bug fixed? Google is yielding lots of teeth gnashing and pre-recall "everything is fine" notices from Synology.

They will probably send you a refurbished unit that they have repaired - if I remember right they solder a resistor onto the board somewhere and supposedly that fixes it, but I can't remember for sure. I can't imagine the replacement unit you get would suffer from the same issue though.

Supposedly you can just transfer the drives to the new unit and it will boot right up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

They will probably send you a refurbished unit that they have repaired - if I remember right they solder a resistor onto the board somewhere and supposedly that fixes it, but I can't remember for sure. I can't imagine the replacement unit you get would suffer from the same issue though.

Supposedly you can just transfer the drives to the new unit and it will boot right up.

That is actually where I'm at - Unit arrived Friday forward shipped with $800 auth'd on my credit card. Transferred the disks over 1 at a time into their same slots, booted up, raid resync'd in ~8ish hours. Now I am back doing file services again, time machine on my laptop is happy to have a target again and the synology is sync'ing up to B2 as we speak.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So are consumer Atom systems turbofucked or just the server boards that I’m to cheap too buy? I’m running an ASRock J1900 board that takes laptop memory, because it was the absolute cheapest way to upgrade my dying home server.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Aye, Synology have been fantastic to me as well. Bought a 716+ off Ebay, used. DOA. Moaned at Synology, they sent me a new one after checking the used one out, declaring that I was right that it was hosed and here have a brand new 716+.

A++ would Synologise again.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

D. Ebdrup posted:

A small-ish piece of cardboard that helps guide the airflow is all that's really needed.

Do feel free to share. I'm still hoping to be able to save up to afford it, if the motherboard ever actually becomes available anywhere in Denmark.

I live in Denmark.. I bought the board from a German site, since it was hard to track down.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

redeyes posted:

Wonderful. I sold at least 10 of those.

Intel is really loving up these days. I guess thats what years of no competition gets you.

Then again, Intel is doing stuff like iwd, soooooo..... :iia:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Which dropbox-like offering is the best between qnap and synology for macs?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Synology Drive looks new and interesting and seems like it does away with the issues of having to connect to the NAS differently based on where you are:

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/feature/drive

I'd find the respective apps in the Mac App Store and see what the reviews say. I have a Synology bound to AD, and a Mac, if you want anything specifically tested.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Should I encrypt my NAS?

I have a Synology DS214se with 2x2TB drives, not RAIDed. (I set them as separate volumes and have the primary one backup to the secondary one each night)

Previously, I was using the TIME app to allow file versioning and that wouldn't work on encrypted folders.
That app has been discontinued and that functionality moved to HyperBackup which (I believe is fine with encrypted folders)

My drive has 700GB of photos and 6GB of personal files. Previously I kept the personal files inside Trucrypt files, but this is a hassle as there's no version control and each night I have to duplicate the entire trucrypt container.
My gut feeling is that I should go ahead and use the native encryption for the personal folders and leave the photos unencrypted but before I push the button, I'd be interested in any warnings/personal experience.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unless you can describe a specific threat model, the only advantage you gain from drive-encryption on a NAS is that decommisioning disks is as easy as throwing them in the electronics bin at the recycling center. Not saying that's not worth it, though - especially with transparent encryption being as easily available as it is today with hardware-accelerated AES-XTS or AES-CBC with ESSIV or similar ciphers designed for block storage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

Unless you can describe a specific threat model, the only advantage you gain from drive-encryption on a NAS is that decommisioning disks is as easy as throwing them in the electronics bin at the recycling center. Not saying that's not worth it, though - especially with transparent encryption being as easily available as it is today with hardware-accelerated AES-XTS or AES-CBC with ESSIV or similar ciphers designed for block storage.

Should have specified my reasoning, sorry.

It's not internet facing so I feel fairly safe. My worry is physical theft - if someone were to break into my home, they would have all my personal/financial information -passwords are obviously kept encrypted or trucrypted but they could do a lot of damage with everything else.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spog posted:

It's not internet facing so I feel fairly safe. My worry is physical theft - if someone were to break into my home, they would have all my personal/financial information -passwords are obviously kept encrypted or trucrypted but they could do a lot of damage with everything else.

You can get versioning + encryption through Backblaze B2 if you want to do that. It won't happen locally on your device though, so you are beholden to sync schedules to cut new versions. What are you using for offsite backup of your pictures?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

You can get versioning + encryption through Backblaze B2 if you want to do that. It won't happen locally on your device though, so you are beholden to sync schedules to cut new versions. What are you using for offsite backup of your pictures?

Good suggestion and appreciated, but my tinfoil hat prevent me from using cloud storage for my personal docs.
Apart from the backup of everything on a second HDD inside the NAS, I have a weekly backup onto a HDD in a fireproof safe.

My photos are Glaciered: 100GB stored for $0.60/month seems like a steal

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spog posted:

Good suggestion and appreciated, but my tinfoil hat prevent me from using cloud storage for my personal docs.
Apart from the backup of everything on a second HDD inside the NAS, I have a weekly backup onto a HDD in a fireproof safe.

My photos are Glaciered: 100GB stored for $0.60/month seems like a steal

Your financial documents are probably the least important thing on your synology which is why I didn't mention them. :v:

For your tin foilness: The B2 system does encryption locally then uploads. It's on you to maintain the key. I would suggest printing it out and storing it in a safe deposit box along with a copy of your home owners/renters insurance policy.

Glacier was always so flaky for me on uploading a zillion small documents, I'm glad it's working for you. :toot: That being said I think upgrading the Synology firmware fixed most of that, but by then everything was in B2.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The pricing of AWS services should always consider the cost to migrate away from them by retrieving your data - think of it as a cancellation fee that’s implicit. So even though 100 GB of Glacier is only $.40 / mo USD retrieving it will cost you $9. If you’ve got smaller amounts of data this is not a big deal but large media archival rates kinda suck a tad. This is mostly because you’re getting a fair bit of redundancy in glacier that you may not care about.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of cloud services, what do people use to sync unraid with the various cloud providers? Is there a recommended Docker?

I have dropbox, onedrive, google drive (and icloud but I don’t expect support for that) and would like an option for local storage for any or all of those.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

priznat posted:

Speaking of cloud services, what do people use to sync unraid with the various cloud providers? Is there a recommended Docker?

I have dropbox, onedrive, google drive (and icloud but I don’t expect support for that) and would like an option for local storage for any or all of those.

Rclone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I mean, unless you have to enter a decryption key every time they boot the NAS, wouldn't they effectively have that if they take the whole NAS even if the disks are encrypted?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

For your tin foilness: The B2 system does encryption locally then uploads.
I appreciate the help,but this doesn't solve my concern about my NAS/PC being stolen and someone getting enough info to commit serious identity fraud.

Agreed that my photos are irreplaceable, but I have enough redundancy to protect against that.

necrobobsledder posted:

The pricing of AWS services should always consider the cost to migrate away from them by retrieving your data - think of it as a cancellation fee that’s implicit. So even though 100 GB of Glacier is only $.40 / mo USD retrieving it will cost you $9.

For me to lose my local photos, it would take 4 discreet hard drives to all fail for me to lose all copies.
Even a fire is probably okay as I have a rated firesafe that should survive.

If my entire apartment is utterly destroyed, then I would buy a new Synology NAS and download all the Glacier copies. Doesn't matter what it costs becuase I think I could claim it on household insurance.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, unless you have to enter a decryption key every time they boot the NAS, wouldn't they effectively have that if they take the whole NAS even if the disks are encrypted?

Yes, Synology lets you choose whether the encrypted folders are automatically mounted at start-up or not.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cool, thanks!

Matteyo
Jul 19, 2009
Has anyone taken a look at this Ubbey box? It is as if life is imitating fiction. Though I am sure someone was thinking about/developing these peer storage concepts well before the Silicon Valley show made them popular.

http://ulabs.technology/

It reminds me of Pied Piper' pivot to store enterprise data on cell phones/refrigerators mated with the Gavin Belson's signature Box III.

Seems like a not-so-great idea without middle-out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They managed to get 'blockchain' and 'private cloud' into the same advert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
"let other people store whatever data they want to on your storage what could possibly go wrong with this scenario"