Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

A ton of Warhammer stuff is way closer to 32mm than actual 28mm. Warmachine is 32mm and they aren't that far off from each other.

Isn't Warmachine 30mm? 30/40/50 are the base sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
If the idea of drawing as a resolution mechanic for a Supers RPG interests anyone, Is It A Plane!? might interest you. It's by a guy I know who last year successfully kickstarted a rather awesome game called I Love The Corps (sci-fi action horror game inspired by Aliens, Doom and a few other sources). I haven't had the chance to play it, unfortunately, but I've heard good things from those who have.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

homullus posted:

but her extra four millimeters

It sounds like not much, but it is definitely something you can tell even from table distance

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

It sounds like not much, but it is definitely something you can tell even from table distance

Yeah, going from 28mm to 32mm is an increase of one seventh of the original height. That's like having somebody who's 5 foot 3 standing next to somebody who is 6 feet tall.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For reference, at my particular scale the difference is roughly equivalent to the 28mm guy next to the HLBS in terms of disparity. You really can't use the two together except for with monsters, special heroes, and poo poo - they aren't just taller, they're a completely different order of magnitude.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

rydiafan posted:

Yeah, going from 28mm to 32mm is an increase of one seventh of the original height. That's like having somebody who's 5 foot 3 standing next to somebody who is 6 feet tall.

otoh this does illustrate that you *can* mix in 32mm guys, you just have to be okay with them registering as particularly tall

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It works better in fantasy or ancients, but once you hit mass production it starts looking weird when the tall guy's Thompson SMG is 25% larger than the rest of his squad's.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think I missed any discussion on Black Rose Wars, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lmstudio/black-rose-wars , looks like a Renaissance take on Mage Wars? Does anyone have a read on it?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

homullus posted:

but her extra four millimeters

It sounds ridiculous but if you have a 28mm mini and a 32mm mini and stand them next to each other it's really very noticeable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Haven't seen this posted in here...Queen Games is doing a Kickstarter for a new edition of Alhambra; The Designers' Edition

Long story short, there's something like 9 or 10 expansion modules exclusive to this campaign, they're doing an art redesign on the game, and there's a "Mega Box" edition that's going to include every single old expansion, all the new expansions, some tile towers, oh; and all the tiles are slightly larger than a normal edition of Alhambra.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There's a whole lot of cool things happening in this kickstarter from Laser Terrain. The EL panels look interesting and I love the look of the Two Towers a lot. gently caress me it's so drat pricy though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

Isn't Warmachine 30mm? 30/40/50 are the base sizes.

poo poo you're right. And I know that too, I dunno what the hell got into me. Thanks for the correction. I guess either way, GW hasn't really been 28mm since like the late nineties or something anyways :v:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jivjov posted:

Haven't seen this posted in here...Queen Games is doing a Kickstarter for a new edition of Alhambra; The Designers' Edition

Long story short, there's something like 9 or 10 expansion modules exclusive to this campaign, they're doing an art redesign on the game, and there's a "Mega Box" edition that's going to include every single old expansion, all the new expansions, some tile towers, oh; and all the tiles are slightly larger than a normal edition of Alhambra.

This kills me because Alhambra is one of my favorite board games but gently caress supporting Kickstarter exclusive bullshit.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I don't recall seeing much talk about it, but I finally decided to back The Faceless -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alterego-games/the-faceless. It is one of the most innovative attempts at a board game that I've yet seen. I mean, magnetics have been used before in some pretty interesting ways, but this blows those away. Plus, it looks like it will probably be fun to play as a bonus.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That looks pretty interesting to play with kids. I dont know what this social media gold star stretchgoal crap is?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

yegods posted:

I don't recall seeing much talk about it, but I finally decided to back The Faceless -- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alterego-games/the-faceless. It is one of the most innovative attempts at a board game that I've yet seen. I mean, magnetics have been used before in some pretty interesting ways, but this blows those away. Plus, it looks like it will probably be fun to play as a bonus.

Get your money out, now. Neodymium magnets should be considered a warning sign.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I definitely think it’s either a con, or they’re just woefully underfunding themselves.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Aren't those the magnets that are really good at killing kids if they swallow them? Which seems like a poor choice to include in a kids game.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Aren't those the magnets that are really good at killing kids if they swallow them? Which seems like a poor choice to include in a kids game.
More or less, yeah.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

8one6 posted:

This kills me because Alhambra is one of my favorite board games but gently caress supporting Kickstarter exclusive bullshit.

Alhambra is an excellent game at the base. I've never played with an expansion to it that actually made it a better game, just a busier or more disjoint game. (Kind of like Carcassonne, excepting the first couple of expansions, or Settlers.) So this Kickstarter is, like, triply not for me, but it does make me want to put Alhambra out on the game table, which is like the Bat-signal for "I want to play this soon" in our house.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosscowman/bff-the-rpg-of-girlhood-friendship-and-adventure/description BFF is amazing looking. Wow wow wow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

They're also prone to chipping and have strong enough pull that injuries are possible if you're not careful. On top of that, they're on the prohibited list for aeroplanes.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
maybe it's just their promotional angle but it seems pretty clear that the thought process for magnet game was "how can we use magnets as much as possible" and not "what would using the magnets do for the game"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also the premise of the game is a straight ripoff of Stranger Things, and why would you want to support that?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Leperflesh posted:

Also the premise of the game is a straight ripoff of Stranger Things, and why would you want to support that?

Cause the real Stranger Things game is Stanger Things Monopoly

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

REFUND POLICY
If you'd like a refund before your item is produced, you have until one week before the scheduled manufacturing production date to request one.
We will inform you about the definitive starting date of production in our website (https://www.alterego-games.com).
We can send you back 90% of the amount since Kickstarter retains about 10% of your pledge for various fees. Please consider we are always happy to replace or exchange it if needed. If a refund is preferred and there is no defect with the product, you'll be responsible for shipping it back to us. Upon receipt of the returned item, we'll issue you a 90% refund. Refund requests must be made within 30 days of the date the item was delivered to you.

This isn't going to stop anyone getting a chargeback whenever they want, is it?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ettin posted:

This isn't going to stop anyone getting a chargeback whenever they want, is it?

Considering it's their policy and not the card processors, no it will not. Chargebacks are up to your issuers policies, not the merchants. Also a dick move on their part not eating the 10%.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I ran a session of BFF today and it was oddly sweet. This would be a great First RPG for people of any age from 9 to their mid 40s probably.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Confrontation Kickstarter updates always have a weird "Please don't leave" vibe about them. I checked their numbers and it looks like a lot of backers unsurprisingly jumped ship when they were waiting to hear what kind of plastic they were doing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also loving itself by still not having individual factions available for no clear reason.

They made it a stretch goal that's impossible to achieve because there's nothing backers can buy to get the.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Golden Bee posted:

I ran a session of BFF today and it was oddly sweet. This would be a great First RPG for people of any age from 9 to their mid 40s probably.

Deets? I'm interested, but I'd appreciate knowing more about how this plays and if it has value for more experienced gamers. (I like HotD's other stuff, although I've never actually managed to get anyone to play them with me, so maybe that should be a sign not to blow $50 on another Neat Thing...)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Deets? I'm interested, but I'd appreciate knowing more about how this plays and if it has value for more experienced gamers. (I like HotD's other stuff, although I've never actually managed to get anyone to play them with me, so maybe that should be a sign not to blow $50 on another Neat Thing...)

It’s not going to give you a tactical experience by any means! Watch the actual play for rules explainer. It’s only good if you want to play in that kind of setting.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
BFF looks cute as hell; backed.

Will play it with my daughter.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 12, 2018

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
This looks like it's going to be an amazing trainwreck until the creator rage quits and takes it down.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

cyberia posted:

This looks like it's going to be an amazing trainwreck until the creator rage quits and takes it down.

That has to be a joke

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm trying to decide which part is the funniest - the fact that this guy's studying Midwest Ethnobotany, the fact that 'community' is spelled two different ways in the same paragraph, that loving character sheet, or the fact that he's got a yahoo e-mail account.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mojo Jojo posted:

That has to be a joke

I wasn’t thinking so until I watched the video. It really does look like someone’s pet RPG project they’ve been working on for years. That part I believe. It’s the seriousness of the project that just can’t be real.

Then again I’ve known people like this and if there were such a thing as Kickstarter at the time they probably would have done something like this so... I dunno. I kind of hope it’s real. :stare:

Leraika posted:

I'm trying to decide which part is the funniest - the fact that this guy's studying Midwest Ethnobotany, the fact that 'community' is spelled two different ways in the same paragraph, that loving character sheet, or the fact that he's got a yahoo e-mail account.

Probably that that game itself is spelled two different ways.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 12, 2018

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

cyberia posted:

Wow, who knew it only costs $500,000 to make a full MMORPG?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Leraika posted:

I'm personally loving all of the low-quality photos of pages from his binder that haven't been rotated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"At the age of 12 I was considered to be one of the most creative/inventive people in the United States (within 98-99% according to TCAP)." :crossarms:

TCAP? Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program? Are... are they literally saying "a teacher told me I was special when I was a child, therefore give money?"