Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Teeth are only optional in the circles you run in dude.

Ouch, dude.

Fermented Tinal posted:

My Home Depot took away their threader two year ago, citing that only a licensed pipe fitter can cut threads on iron pipe meant for gas lines and that they were getting sick of people building furniture out of iron pipe and having them do shitloads of cut and threads. First cut and thread for each purchased standard length was free and I think they were sick of doing it.

All I'm trying to do here is get a piece of 1/2" PA66 30% pipe threaded on the outside with 1/4"x18NPT/NPS (tapered or not I don't really care at this point). Basically it's the plastic lance from a pressure washer, and the only part you can't easily replace (you can get a trigger assembly and nozzles easily, just not the piece that connects the two, only Princess Auto has them, as part of a $100 pressure washer wand set). I got it in my head I could just cut the lance behind the permanently attached (and hosed) nozzle, put a quick coupler on it and use normal pressure washer nozzles instead of these weird proprietary assemblies that I can't repair. Instead I've spent two days driving around this city to various places trying to find a die in the one size that nobody in this city apparently loving has.

Tried two plumbers, neither could help me, waiting on a call back from a third. Machine shop has taps but not dies. Tool rental place has a pipe threader for rent, $25/day, smallest die in their set is 1/2". Stores don't carry any NPT dies aside from the 1/8"x27NPT that you'd probably find on various lines and fittings in an engine bay. $50 + 2 weeks lead time to order a die from the industrial supplier, $12 and 4 days for a NPS die off amazon.

My neighbour across the street is a licensed pipe fitter, when he gets home from work I'm gonna ask him.

E: Slung suggested I go buy an iron pipe cap and fabricobble a die out of that since I'm only cutting nylon and iron pipe is hard.

Guess we don't have the pipe problem here, or they're, you know, happy for the business.
Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I have a 1/4-18 NPT tap, but no die.

This 1/4" NPT die is $8 with Prime One-Day shipping. NPT rather than NPS, though.

You want frustrating? Try attempting to find out what threads airbrush fittings are, and then setting up a quick-connect and manifold system for using a bunch of airbrushes at once (T-shirt artists.) Airbrushes use a bunch of special snowflake threads, depending on brand. Best thing you can do is find the right adapter, and convert everything to standard air fittings. Iwata airbrushes are 1/8" BSP, BTW, and no one wants to tell you that. They just want to sell you an adapter from Iwata to whatever.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:iceburn:

Made me chuckle.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seminal Flu posted:

filling in the holes

That's his plan!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I have a 1/4-18 NPT tap, but no die.

As do I, and most people who own a tap and die set. NPT taps are easy to come across, princess auto even has a set of only NPT taps that goes up to 1 1/2".

I've actually managed to locally find dies from 1/8" all the way up to 2", excepting ONLY 1/4".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You got a problem with D4VE or something?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Basically it's the plastic lance from a pressure washer, and the only part you can't easily replace (you can get a trigger assembly and nozzles easily, just not the piece that connects the two, only Princess Auto has them, as part of a $100 pressure washer wand set). I got it in my head I could just cut the lance behind the permanently attached (and hosed) nozzle, put a quick coupler on it and use normal pressure washer nozzles instead of these weird proprietary assemblies that I can't repair. Instead I've spent two days driving around this city to various places trying to find a die in the one size that nobody in this city apparently loving has.

Have you tried buying a new lance (or parts) from an actual parts place that specialized in pressure washer stuff for the fleet washing industry? I have bought parts numerous times from this place - http://pressureequipmentsales.com/ and I'm sure most large metro areas have businesses like that. A search on "Pressure Washer Parts" in Google brings up at least two dozen similar businesses in the Phoenix area.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

With her? It's a done deal then unless you've got 2 left feet...
Gotta agree. If you're going out with her for a night of dancing (or better yet - dancing class), yeah, you're already home free. At the end of the night assuming you don't bruise her feet, give her a "spontaneous" peck on the cheek and see how she reacts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's his plan!

<George Takei> Ohhh, myyy! <\George Takei>

Fermented Tinal posted:

As do I, and most people who own a tap and die set. NPT taps are easy to come across, princess auto even has a set of only NPT taps that goes up to 1 1/2".

I've actually managed to locally find dies from 1/8" all the way up to 2", excepting ONLY 1/4".

Well, of course, because you need that one. That's really weird, though. The universe is fcuking with you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fermented Tinal posted:

My Home Depot took away their threader two year ago, citing that only a licensed pipe fitter can cut threads on iron pipe meant for gas lines and that they were getting sick of people building furniture out of iron pipe and having them do shitloads of cut and threads. First cut and thread for each purchased standard length was free and I think they were sick of doing it.

All I'm trying to do here is get a piece of 1/2" PA66 30% pipe threaded on the outside with 1/4"x18NPT/NPS (tapered or not I don't really care at this point). Basically it's the plastic lance from a pressure washer, and the only part you can't easily replace (you can get a trigger assembly and nozzles easily, just not the piece that connects the two, only Princess Auto has them, as part of a $100 pressure washer wand set). I got it in my head I could just cut the lance behind the permanently attached (and hosed) nozzle, put a quick coupler on it and use normal pressure washer nozzles instead of these weird proprietary assemblies that I can't repair. Instead I've spent two days driving around this city to various places trying to find a die in the one size that nobody in this city apparently loving has.

Tried two plumbers, neither could help me, waiting on a call back from a third. Machine shop has taps but not dies. Tool rental place has a pipe threader for rent, $25/day, smallest die in their set is 1/2". Stores don't carry any NPT dies aside from the 1/8"x27NPT that you'd probably find on various lines and fittings in an engine bay. $50 + 2 weeks lead time to order a die from the industrial supplier, $12 and 4 days for a NPS die off amazon.

My neighbour across the street is a licensed pipe fitter, when he gets home from work I'm gonna ask him.

E: Slung suggested I go buy an iron pipe cap and fabricobble a die out of that since I'm only cutting nylon and iron pipe is hard.
Not quite sure I am following you, but depending what the thread is on your pressure washer itself, can you just get a standard 3/8 hose with NPT ends and then use regular industrial fittings from there? That's commodity stuff for hose shops like me and then you can use "real" wands and nozzles.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Gimme a few to take some pictures. It'll make explaining what I'm trying to do here a bit easier.

E: moved to its own post.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 10, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

slidebite posted:

Gotta agree. If you're going out with her for a night of dancing (or better yet - dancing class), yeah, you're already home free. At the end of the night assuming you don't bruise her feet, give her a "spontaneous" peck on the cheek and see how she reacts.

It's a group thing. Also same event we met her at last Thursday.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Give her a peck on the cheek and if she looks at you and goes "WTF" just say "What? I kiss everyone" and then give EVERYONE a peck on the cheek, dudes included.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

First STR and now Adiabatic..if cursedshitbox switches teams I won't be able to take it.

neither will she

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wear your best fedora.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Excuse you. Mrs. Adiabatic is still in my life and he is still a wonderful burly man.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Okay.

I was given this electric pressure washer because the nozzles are trashed. A new one is around $230 (CAD), keep this in mind when suggesting I buy a whole new hose and wand since I'm already like $80 into this just for nozzles.

The business end comes in two pieces, the trigger and hose are one of these two. Note that it is not easily removed from the hose, replacing the hose means I would have to replace this, I'm trying to save some money by not replacing this part since it works just fine.

The second half of the equation is made up by three different attachments that slot in using this style of fitting as opposed to newer machines that use standard screw fittings. A new trigger valve would mean buying at least one of these to go with it since while adapters exist, it's the nozzles that are hosed not the valves or pump unit. I cannot easily find replacements for this style or the current style, excepting a kit sold at Princess Auto for about $100 that seems to be cheese grade quality. I could source the newer style parts online, but once again, we're talking about a $230 pressure washer, it's not worth it to buy a bunch of parts. At least with the new nozzles I can use them on other washers.

Instead, I cut the nozzle off one of the two sprayer lances.

I want to put a 1/4" quick coupler on it so I can use the standard nozzles I got for it.

My problem is getting the lance threaded for the coupler locally.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

First STR and now Adiabatic..if cursedshitbox switches teams I won't be able to take it.

Hello there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

Excuse you. Mrs. Adiabatic is still in my life and he is still a wonderful burly man.

Scandalous.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

I just wanted to make a dick joke!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm thinking of going back to a 2 seater this year and maybe having a baby by next year, bad plan? It seems like they really want kids to be in the backseat until the age of two. I'd have my wife's car too so most of the time I'd have a back seat, but I can see something happening and occasionally needing to use my 2 seater.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm thinking of going back to a 2 seater this year and maybe having a baby by next year, bad plan? It seems like they really want kids to be in the backseat until the age of two. I'd have my wife's car too so most of the time I'd have a back seat, but I can see something happening and occasionally needing to use my 2 seater.

only do a 2 seater as a weekend car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Okay.

I was given this electric pressure washer because the nozzles are trashed. A new one is around $230 (CAD), keep this in mind when suggesting I buy a whole new hose and wand since I'm already like $80 into this just for nozzles.

The business end comes in two pieces, the trigger and hose are one of these two. Note that it is not easily removed from the hose, replacing the hose means I would have to replace this, I'm trying to save some money by not replacing this part since it works just fine.

The second half of the equation is made up by three different attachments that slot in using this style of fitting as opposed to newer machines that use standard screw fittings. A new trigger valve would mean buying at least one of these to go with it since while adapters exist, it's the nozzles that are hosed not the valves or pump unit. I cannot easily find replacements for this style or the current style, excepting a kit sold at Princess Auto for about $100 that seems to be cheese grade quality. I could source the newer style parts online, but once again, we're talking about a $230 pressure washer, it's not worth it to buy a bunch of parts. At least with the new nozzles I can use them on other washers.

I want to put a 1/4" quick coupler on it so I can use the standard nozzles I got for it.

Those things are pretty useless, don't sink a bunch of money into it. It sounds like you're trying to thread metal onto plastic in a ~1600 psi application which doesn't seem like a good idea. it looks like you get a couple shots at it, You could try heating the quick connect(or better yet a fitting with the same thread) and threading it on.

What is the inner diameter? could you thread a male-male onto the inside of it and go from there?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

neither will she

Not a snowballs chance in hell buddy.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 10, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MomJeans420 posted:

Bad idea. You want not only a back seat but 4 doors, IMO. It's still tight in my GTI because the back seat is small, but it works (for now). You want the baby in the middle if possible too, which may be worse for front seat adjustability. Mine is touching the infant carrier and I'm only 6'1". I hope it doesn't get worse with the rear facing seat that's coming soon.

I think if I were to do it over again, I'd just get a CX5,9, or a wagon/SUV of some sort.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, that's kind of what I figured.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

Those things are pretty useless, don't sink a bunch of money into it. It sounds like you're trying to thread metal onto plastic in a ~1600 psi application which doesn't seem like a good idea. it looks like you get a couple shots at it, You could try heating the quick connect(or better yet a fitting with the same thread) and threading it on.

What is the inner diameter? could you thread a male-male onto the inside of it and go from there?

I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it, that's why I bought nozzles that I can ostensibly use on any washer that has a wand with a quick disconnect. They're my largest investment in this so far. Also on the money front, I could buy a die online or I could buy a 1/4" pipe nut and do something crazy, right?

I'm not terribly worried about the metal to plastic threading, the plastic is PA66 GF 30% so it will either hold up or fail spectacularly and I'm considering using epoxy during final threading. I have rx safety squints, I'll be fine.

E: You are now looking at the only 1/4"-18 NPS die I've managed to come across. Cost me $1.50 and about 5 minutes of making my fingers cramp.

EE: It's working, but it looks like I'll need to try it again with some heat and a little more material removed from the OD of the wand.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 10, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I suspect you probably meant to put this in the tool thread...

Try it your way but here's what I would do. I would cut that hose right at the end and get a male pipe thread fitting crimped on properly. If you talk nice to a guy to hose shop you can probably get it done for 10 or so bucks including the fitting. Same guy might be able to sell you a proper wand which will fit on that end for 20ish bucks which may or may not have a nozzle.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh. Getting a little thin on the crown. Made a bit worse that I have a double cowlick with wavy hair. SO I start looking at the side effects of minoxidil and finestiride (or however you spell it). I think I'd rather just continue with thinning hair. As much as I'd like to just buzz it, I have an ugly shaped head.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slidebite posted:

I suspect you probably meant to put this in the tool thread...

Nope. :justpost:

My way appears to be working.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Keep with it thinning as long as dignity allows, then just shave your head. You'll get over thinking your head is odd shaped, and embracing it is a better look than pulling a Trump.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where is everyone getting the glitchatars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

Ugh. Getting a little thin on the crown. Made a bit worse that I have a double cowlick with wavy hair. SO I start looking at the side effects of minoxidil and finestiride (or however you spell it). I think I'd rather just continue with thinning hair. As much as I'd like to just buzz it, I have an ugly shaped head.

How's your diet? Do you drink copious amounts of booze every week?

How about your mental health? Are you depressed about anything?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 10, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Liquid Communism posted:

Keep with it thinning as long as dignity allows, then just shave your head. You'll get over thinking your head is odd shaped, and embracing it is a better look than pulling a Trump.

This, shaving your head is liberating after years of fussing over going bald.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

How's your diet? Do you drink copious amounts of booze every week?

How about your mental health? Are you depressed about anything?

I think you meant to quote the post below his.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Okay.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QMKHNM0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_1Dl9Ab9BBZFMV

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think you meant to quote the post below his.

Ayup.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

It's a group thing. Also same event we met her at last Thursday.

If you want to impress, tell her that you're a moderator on the SomethingAwful forums.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fermented Tinal posted:

This, shaving your head is liberating after years of fussing over going bald.

Pretty much. And you can still grow out fuzz and look normal.

There's nothing in the world more sad than a dude trying to hide his baldness. I did it for about a year, then just said gently caress it and shaved it. That was 2 years ago, and I've been so much loving happier.

Also, thinning from the crown is easier to deal with. Well, if you're 6' or taller anyway and your hair has decent texture. If you have thin hair to begin with, you're hosed no matter what.

Some of the chemical poo poo does indeed work, but know that you can never, ever stop using it once you start because the effects will reverse back immediately.

Embrace the chrome dome.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Where is everyone getting the glitchatars?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854284

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Okay.

I got lucky and my trash-find electric power washer, which has basically the same wand system, possibly exactly the same (mine's not Karcher-branded - it's the cheaper house brand from Lowes or HD, I think - but it wouldn't surprise me if they made it,) came with the adjustable wand. It's not as good as the actual tips, but it goes from needle to a fairly wide fan with a twist.
You've hit on the problem with these cheapie power washers - they don't use any standard parts like the bigger boys.

• Locked thread