Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

I've always found the basic attack replacers largely good and worth taking, but that might just be down to the circles I ran around in :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
RHoD is funny because I'm pretty sure there's been like a dozen attempts by people to run it here, and every single one has fallen apart (not because it's bad, but because of course a 1-20 super adventure isn't going to work in PBP). Never played it myself.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
It's not even 1-20, it's like 5 to 10. Part of it's just the nature of D&D PbPs though, where you have weeks-long battles with a pile of goblin mooks. It took over six and a half years for the GitP guide writer to run it in PbP and that included fast-forwarding through most of the last chapter.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

starkebn posted:

I wrote these instructions ages ago, don't know if it will still work, but give it a try

https://rogue-elements.obsidianportal.com/wikis/offline-character-builder

So I went to the link and the 4share says the file link is not valid. Any idea where I could find the :filez:?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

There is a discord here that could probably help you out finding the character builder and offline compendium

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So I went to the link and the 4share says the file link is not valid. Any idea where I could find the :filez:?

just googled the file name

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~macmog/DnD4E/

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Has anyone done sufficient playing with dragonshards and/or mounts? If so, any feedback on these?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Widening my earlier question :

What is the absolute most broken fighter build short of like infinite damage combos and poo poo? Just curious.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

What is the absolute most broken fighter build short of like infinite damage combos and poo poo? Just curious.

Fighters are more about shutting stuff down. IIRC the only truly broken build was class independant and abused the rebreather item.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Xiahou Dun posted:

AT what level?

If you're talking level 30, it's probably something to do with stunlocking.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, nothing in 4e is 3e style straight up broken, and very little is 3e style overpowered. You need to get into rebreather shenanigans or the like to be grossly overpowered, and to be frank, true 4e optimization happens on a party level. Unlike 3e where you actually were just this vague group of individuals who are coincidentally near each other during the fight, 4e expects you to be a group, and no individual character can really set the whole game revolving around them, whereas a group that's optimized together will murder anything and everything in their path.

Like I'm pretty sure the actual most overpowered character are certain leader builds - not because they're super powerful characters on their own, because they can turn like two or so melee characters into a goddamn Doom-style chainsaw.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For my money the best fighters (not op) are Wisdom-secondary, which is not always an obvious path to take with them when the game suggests that you go Dex or Con.

- Superior Will qualification
- High attack bonus on mark punishments
- Encouraging Shield gives you really high Will
- Polearm stuff
- Hybrids well

quote:

Like I'm pretty sure the actual most overpowered character are certain leader builds - not because they're super powerful characters on their own, because they can turn like two or so melee characters into a goddamn Doom-style chainsaw.

The established "best" leader is the warlord, because of this. It's just a purely stronger option than what the other leaders specialize in, because free attacks (that often also get bonuses) are really powerful. Cleric and bard are also very, very strong in their own ways.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
When you have a non-self-buffing healer build nicknamed "killswitch" you know you've got something going on.

I've played a lot of fighters. I'd recommend only caring for damage as a "Well it'd be nice to do damage." Fighters are really good at being huge dicks that stops the enemy from doing what they want to do.

Embrace your inner jerk. Become the rear end in a top hat you always wanted to be.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goliath arena fighter, taking the spiked chain and quarterstaff as your arena weapons, though the spiked chain is the only one you actually use. Staff expertise to give your spiked chain +1 reach. Stoneblessed paragon path for another +1 reach at level 11, and one round of threatening reach per encounter at level 12.

The best build? No, definitely not. But I've wanted to try it out for a long time.

Just, uh... gotta make sure your GM agrees about the staff expertise thing.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I'm going to be running Slaying Stone in a few months so I made these sprites here: (click for a link to the album where they are transparent)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
One of our group's campaigns is switching back to 4e, and I think I want to play a Str/Dex brawler fighter. It seems like there's a lot of synergy between the Brawler powers and Flail feats/powers, between all the sliding and prone-ing and grabbing. Trying to figure out if I should do like, a three-headed flail and regular unarmed, or bring something like a Net or Whip and use the Monk multiclass feat to get unarmed combatant.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 10, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Reik posted:

One of our group's campaigns is switching back to 4e, and I think I want to play a Str/Dex brawler fighter. It seems like there's a lot of synergy between the Brawler powers and Flail feats/powers, between all the sliding and prone-ing and grabbing. Trying to figure out if I should do like, a three-headed flail and regular unarmed, or bring something like a Net or Whip and use the Monk multiclass feat to get unarmed combatant.

I did the latter - without the net or whip, so pure unarmed - and I've had a lot of fun. The DM tends to treat "marked" as aggro, so I don't get a lot of chances to do mark enforcement or OA stuff, but that's not the fault of the class by any stretch. There have been times when I've wondered if a flail brawler wouldn't have been more effective because of that, but chokeslam dragons all day 4ever so gently caress it, it's awesome.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Just watch out because brawler is pretty feat intensive. Adding another combat style on top of it might feel a little constrained. Make sure the bits you need will come online in a timely manner for the level the campaign is set at.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I did the latter - without the net or whip, so pure unarmed - and I've had a lot of fun. The DM tends to treat "marked" as aggro, so I don't get a lot of chances to do mark enforcement or OA stuff, but that's not the fault of the class by any stretch. There have been times when I've wondered if a flail brawler wouldn't have been more effective because of that, but chokeslam dragons all day 4ever so gently caress it, it's awesome.

If you take the Monk multiclass feat for Unarmed Combatant as a Brawler Style Fighter and you wear a shield, are you considered to have an "open hand" if you have your shield and your monk unarmed combatant weapon equipped?

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 11, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Reik posted:

If you take the Monk multiclass feat for Unarmed Combatant as a Brawler Style Fighter and you wear a shield, are you considered to have an "open hand" if you have your shield and your monk unarmed combatant weapon equipped?

I too am interested in making a Captain America Brawler so either this or counting a shield as a weapon is something I'm interested in.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Moriatti posted:

I too am interested in making a Captain America Brawler so either this or counting a shield as a weapon is something I'm interested in.

I feel like while it makes "sense" you have an open hand, you technically have a weapon and shield equipped, your weapon is just "monk unarmed combat". Otherwise you could stack the Brawler AC and Fort bonuses with shield bonuses which seems inappropriate.

Essentially your character meets the following qualifications if this is the case:
-Has an open hand
-Has a shield equipped
-Has a weapon equipped

from the Martial Power 2 sidebar on open hand

ONE HAND FREE?
Many fighter powers require a hand free. For your hand
to be considered free, you can't be using it for anything
else-that means no off-hand weapons (except for a
spiked gauntlet), no two-handed weapons, no shields,
and no items, such as sunrods or lanterns.

Already Grabbing: You can grab only one creature at
a time unless both your hands are free, in which case you
could grab two creatures at once. You must spend a minor
action to sustain each grab, though.

Versatile Weapons: If you use a versatile weapon,
Switching your grip from one hand to two hands is a free
action. However, if a power requires you to have a hand
free, you must keep that hand free for the entire attack
or until you use the hand for something that is part of the
attack, such as grabbing an enemy.

Spiked Gauntlet: Your hand is free if you wear a spiked
gauntlet (Adventurer's Vault, pages 9-10), even if you use
the gauntlet to attack during your turn.

I think the Spiked Gauntlet caveat could also apply to Monk unarmed combatant?

If you grab someone with that hand though, you probably wouldn't be able to use it as a weapon while the grab was going.

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 11, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Moriatti posted:

I've been working on this problem with Reik on Discord and while I'm not completely sure on the first part, there's a Spiked Shield in Adventurer's Vault that can be used as a weapon.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've been working on this problem with Reik on Discord and while I'm not completely sure on the first part, there's a Spiked Shield in Adventurer's Vault that can be used as a weapon.

Adventurer's Vault
Level 6
Throwing Shield
Item Slot: Arms
Rarity: Uncommon
Power (At-Will): Standard Action. Make an attack: Ranged 10; Strength + 2 vs. AC; on a hit, the target takes 1d8 + Strength modifier damage. The shield automatically returns to your grip after the attack.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power after you hit a target with this shield's ranged attack. The target is pushed 1 square.

That on a spiked shield solves your ranged and melee problems in one go, it's not GREAT, but it at least lets you lean into that Captain America style. Spiked shield gets you proficiency bonus to the thrown attack where the other shields don't, so the attack is actually decent to hit at least.

The enchantment itself doesn't offer an enhancement bonus, so you'd have to rely on inherent bonuses to keep it up to par. You're also missing out on being able to use arms items, but thems the breaks when you wanna build something super gimmicky haha.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Successful Businessmanga posted:

The enchantment itself doesn't offer an enhancement bonus, so you'd have to rely on inherent bonuses to keep it up to par. You're also missing out on being able to use arms items, but thems the breaks when you wanna build something super gimmicky haha.

Good news, at least assuming that wiki is accurate:

quote:

Although a character cannot use two shields at the same time, a character wielding a spiked shield enchanted as a weapon can employ arms slot items such as bracers.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Adventurer's Vault
Level 6
Throwing Shield
Item Slot: Arms
Rarity: Uncommon
Power (At-Will): Standard Action. Make an attack: Ranged 10; Strength + 2 vs. AC; on a hit, the target takes 1d8 + Strength modifier damage. The shield automatically returns to your grip after the attack.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power after you hit a target with this shield's ranged attack. The target is pushed 1 square.

That on a spiked shield solves your ranged and melee problems in one go, it's not GREAT, but it at least lets you lean into that Captain America style. Spiked shield gets you proficiency bonus to the thrown attack where the other shields don't, so the attack is actually decent to hit at least.

I've been looking into AV2's rebounding weapon, I'm running said game so I'm more willing to combine or homebrew loot, I'm 80% sure I'll have a brawler fighter in the party too.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Good news, at least assuming that wiki is accurate:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Throwing Shield is unfortunately a shield enchantment — not a weapon enchantment — and magic shields always occupy the arms slot by RAW. Of course, you and your DM are free to houserule whatever you agree upon and want to.

The wiki's also wrong about dual wielding shields; nothing stops you other than opportunity cost (since typed bonuses such as shield bonuses don't stack).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Throwing Shield is unfortunately a shield enchantment — not a weapon enchantment — and magic shields always occupy the arms slot by RAW. Of course, you and your DM are free to houserule whatever you agree upon and want to.

Spiked shields are light blades, so they can be enchanted as Farbond Spellblades. :smugwizard::hf::dota101:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 12, 2018

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Something I've been bouncing around in my head is changing the enhancement bonus to attack and damage from being on the weapons themselves to being on your arms slot item. The idea behind it is reducing the math complexity for players, so if they're attacking with a weapon they're proficient in they always know what their attack bonus is going to be (assuming the same ability modifier and no weird bonuses of course). Anyone want to weigh in on if that would help or not? I know the real answer is just Use Inherent Bonuses, but I'd like to reduce the amount of conditionals I have to give out every time I tell someone to make a new character.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Just use Inherent Bonuses. You can check a single box in the character builder and it will handle it for you - I'm not sure what you predict making a custom item gets you beyond that. Properties so you can have Lightning Armbands and get Lightning on every weapon you wield?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That owns as a concept, actually

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RyuHimora posted:

Something I've been bouncing around in my head is changing the enhancement bonus to attack and damage from being on the weapons themselves to being on your arms slot item. The idea behind it is reducing the math complexity for players, so if they're attacking with a weapon they're proficient in they always know what their attack bonus is going to be (assuming the same ability modifier and no weird bonuses of course). Anyone want to weigh in on if that would help or not? I know the real answer is just Use Inherent Bonuses, but I'd like to reduce the amount of conditionals I have to give out every time I tell someone to make a new character.

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/simplified-modifiers-for-dd-4e/

Alternatively, your intended bonus from [Half-Level + tier bonus + magical items] is always [character level x 0.8]

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I don't really see how tying enhancement bonuses to the arm slot simplifies things beyond inherent bonuses, other than possibly removing the arms slot for anyone who'd want another item there. Having fewer options does simplify things, but I'd probably get annoyed if I lost a slot like that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Seriously.
If you're decoupling them from weapons, go the whole hog and just decouple them entirely.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone toyed with using the 5e Combat Advantage system in 4e? Would it just shatter the math?

I much prefer the idea of 2d20 & pick highest, over yet another +2. It feels like a much bigger deal and I think it'd feel more special to the player who has it.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The Avenger class is in fact based around that whole concept.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did, but 4E allows for situations where you set big attacks up with stacking bonuses to your attack and penalties to enemy defenses and that's a level of teamwork the system thrives on and that you just can't replicate with advantage/disadvantage.

Plus yeah it probably does things to the math, 2d20 pick higher is generally speaking a much better bonus than +2 to the roll so it would increase the power of all those effects by a lot and devalue all those abilities that already grant rerolls that feel special now.

e: very much including the Avenger class which would lose its whole gimmick

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise T Rex posted:

Has anyone toyed with using the 5e Combat Advantage system in 4e? Would it just shatter the math?

I much prefer the idea of 2d20 & pick highest, over yet another +2. It feels like a much bigger deal and I think it'd feel more special to the player who has it.

One issue is that there are already abilities/effects that replicate the effects of gaining Advantage (especially the Avenger class), so you'd have to find a way of dealing with that.

I don't know if I would use the term "shatter the math" - it does make Combat Advantage that much more powerful - whereas normal CA is a 10% improvement, 2d20k1 is akin to a +5 bonus, which would possibly guarantee hits a lot of the time that you normally wouldn't be able to achieve except with much higher levels of teamwork and character optimization.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

One issue is that there are already abilities/effects that replicate the effects of gaining Advantage (especially the Avenger class), so you'd have to find a way of dealing with that.

I don't know if I would use the term "shatter the math" - it does make Combat Advantage that much more powerful - whereas normal CA is a 10% improvement, 2d20k1 is akin to a +5 bonus, which would possibly guarantee hits a lot of the time that you normally wouldn't be able to achieve except with much higher levels of teamwork and character optimization.

Realistically,there would have to be some sort of stop gap, a thing that could represent a bonus not as good as Advantage. Dare I say it, some sort of boon...

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The real problem is it more or less doubles your crit rate which makes perma CA mandatory given how good crits are in 4E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I've always felt that crits in 4e were weaker than their 3x 5e cousins?