Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I really hope science ships going through subspace can cause events that go "You done hosed up! You done gone looked in places mortals were never meant to see!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Libluini posted:

I'm wondering about this kind of thing, too. I've had a run where an Exterminator purged one of my neighbours (Humans) and even though they went from enemies to our best friends (including a defensive pact and a migration treaty), none of them ever tried to run away from the purges. There wasn't even a single pop migrating normally during the time mankind went slowly extinct.

I had 1-2 planets prepared for their preference, but all for nothing. They all died. Considering I used a mod to make my machine empire able to take in organics, I assume it's possible the mod is bugged. :shrug:

I think it is possible though; playing as the Exterminators, I would take planets from organics and always use the Extermination purge type (for whoever was asking several pages ago, I never ever saw this take more than 5 years, and never got a single revolt while purging a large galaxy of organics) and while they would reliably get wiped out, sometimes 1 or 2 pops would disappear 'early'. I assume they must have been displaced to somewhere.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

I really hope science ships going through subspace can cause events that go "You done hosed up! You done gone looked in places mortals were never meant to see!"

Solid opportunity for a reference to The Jaunt. Could add Maniacal to the science officer at the cost of decreased lifespan?

I kinda hope construction ships get some equivalent navigation option, maybe have it only apply within your own territory or something. I find myself constantly building construction ships for a single task and then deleting them because it's so much faster than trying to move them around until the gate network is up.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Ms Adequate posted:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Ms Adequate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

(Not sure if this works while phone posting)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So this basically adds in a worse version of jump drives that takes forever but is available much earlier? That's kinda cool.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Worse version of jump drives that also have the perk of not causing horrible blue monstermen from the great beyond to flood into our reality for daring to have the hubris to cross into their domain.

That's a nice perk IMO.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's only for science vessels but I kinda hope that can be modded.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Someone mod in an Infinite Improbability Drive with a random chance of your ship ending up in a random system, or turned into a space whale

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gadzuko posted:

I kinda hope construction ships get some equivalent navigation option, maybe have it only apply within your own territory or something. I find myself constantly building construction ships for a single task and then deleting them because it's so much faster than trying to move them around until the gate network is up.

Holy poo poo this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Idea: every starbase comes with a construction ship with no upkeep while docked but also no hyperdrive, on the premise that it's the base's automated support drone. You should then only need manual construction ships for building the starbases themselves, megastructures and maybe observation posts.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Idea: every starbase comes with a construction ship with no upkeep while docked but also no hyperdrive, on the premise that it's the base's automated support drone. You should then only need manual construction ships for building the starbases themselves, megastructures and maybe observation posts.

Whoa yeah, worker drones at starbases would be a great idea.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Psychotic Weasel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

(Not sure if this works while phone posting)

I really hope they add more eldritch horror type events in the game like the Horizon Signal event chain.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I don't know why so many goons are like scared of space or whatever but like, it's amazing that when people envision exploring the stars they just imagine psychic dragons and horrors from the warp

And it's presented like a fun thing yaknow haha I'm scared of made up poo poo in a videogame oh so scaaary the text could easily be something bad

whatever knock yourselves out with how scared you are of this totally scary scenario in a videogame about harnessing the power of the sun and blowing up planets because you feel like it

have you considered... the boogeyman... in space? :psyboom:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Arrath posted:

Whoa yeah, worker drones at starbases would be a great idea.

It was apparently one of the ideas they had during the 2.0 rework. Mining bases and poo poo would just get built automatically and for free by the starbase, since every system is guaranteed to have one anyway.

I think they probably should have done it - yeah it's a big change, but nothing of value would be lost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they aren't really scary they're just fun. What's not fun about building a big fleet of spaceships to go blow up azathoth?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's not that big unknowable things or psychic space dragons or whatever are scary, it's that fighting them with your fleets is rad

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They may not have had the chance to flee, if migration was banned under in their former 'main' empire there would be no way for them to get to you (also check your own migration and refugee policies to make sure they're compatable). And unlike Displacement purge which encourages them to get out the actual extermination purge may not have left enough time to get anyone out before they got turned into hamburger.

Also, today's diary on the Niven update:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...gation.1096931/

Some of them should be able to independently acquire means to emigrate even if it's banned imo. I am literally exterminating a species I don't think they'd care too much about following my prohibitions against finding whatever flying scrap heap they can find and attempting to flee by whatever means necessary.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It was apparently one of the ideas they had during the 2.0 rework. Mining bases and poo poo would just get built automatically and for free by the starbase, since every system is guaranteed to have one anyway.

I think they probably should have done it - yeah it's a big change, but nothing of value would be lost.

Even if I still have to pay for them, being able to right click a system or planet with resources and tell the station to build a mine with some little local construction drones would be nice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So I'm going to give a super tall empire another shot I think. How in the hell am I supposed to deal with research? A guy on reddit that had all traditions by 2320 used a 1000 star galaxy, whereas my previous attempt was 800 and I ran out of stars to research and anamolies to give me research points. Or am I supposed to just give up until all my traditions are finished and then spam habitats w/ full research labs?

Then I guess I have to figure out what I'm going to do after I'm done. Maybe I'll go on a vassal spree.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Even if I still have to pay for them, being able to right click a system or planet with resources and tell the station to build a mine with some little local construction drones would be nice.

Yeah it would kill a bit of micro to have that handled by starbases instead of maneuvering a boat around

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vasudus posted:

So I'm going to give a super tall empire another shot I think. How in the hell am I supposed to deal with research? A guy on reddit that had all traditions by 2320 used a 1000 star galaxy, whereas my previous attempt was 800 and I ran out of stars to research and anamolies to give me research points. Or am I supposed to just give up until all my traditions are finished and then spam habitats w/ full research labs?

Then I guess I have to figure out what I'm going to do after I'm done. Maybe I'll go on a vassal spree.

What do you mean by "super tall"?

One planet runs are not really a thing any more, if that's what you're trying. However, you can run quite tall with ~3-5 planets and ~20-30 claimed systems, and do well. The trick, just like with the old one planet runs, was to NOT DIE before your tech and unity lead becomes insurmountable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

What do you mean by "super tall"?

One planet runs are not really a thing any more, if that's what you're trying. However, you can run quite tall with ~3-5 planets and ~20-30 claimed systems, and do well. The trick, just like with the old one planet runs, was to NOT DIE before your tech and unity lead becomes insurmountable.

Yeah like 3 planets and 15-20 systems tops I guess.

Guess it really is as simple as it seems, I'll just hope ye olde randomizer puts me in a quiet part of the galaxy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vasudus posted:

Yeah like 3 planets and 15-20 systems tops I guess.

Guess it really is as simple as it seems, I'll just hope ye olde randomizer puts me in a quiet part of the galaxy.

Spawning next to any total war civic is going to suck. But in almost any other situation you can throw research agreements and favorable trade deals at your neighbors until they love you, especially if you are xenophile or have a charismatic leader.

Once you get into a couple of NAPs you're golden.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why is everyone talking about bullshit that's not :swoon: TAME SPACE AMOEBA :swoon:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Why is everyone talking about bullshit that's not :swoon: TAME SPACE AMOEBA :swoon:

Until it's confirmed that I can farm void clouds for lightning I'm not interested.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Until it's confirmed that I can farm void clouds for lightning space farts I'm not interested.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't know why so many goons are like scared of space or whatever but like, it's amazing that when people envision exploring the stars they just imagine psychic dragons and horrors from the warp

And it's presented like a fun thing yaknow haha I'm scared of made up poo poo in a videogame oh so scaaary the text could easily be something bad

whatever knock yourselves out with how scared you are of this totally scary scenario in a videogame about harnessing the power of the sun and blowing up planets because you feel like it

have you considered... the boogeyman... in space? :psyboom:
Warhammer 40k ground a lot of grooves into people's brains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nessus posted:

Warhammer 40k ground a lot of grooves into people's brains.

Cos it's great, like it's a stupid cash cow sure but it makes for good fights when you put it in a videogame.

Splicer posted:

I'm more wondering if enemies will respawn, cos hunting stuff would be more interesting that way.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm more wondering if enemies will respawn, cos hunting stuff would be more interesting that way.

There do need to be more respawning enemies, and I'm not talking about just pirates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Similar to pirate bases it'd be neat if some of the aliens had nests and stuff.

Course I also want uninhabitable/unclaimable areas of space due to terrain hazards which function as no mans land and fill up with pirates so it'd go well with that too.

With the new disconnected sectors thing it'd be neat to have some that are full of horrible gribbler nests.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There's already code for monster respawn by default. The trouble is they can only spawn in areas where you or anyone else has zero intel.

# Space Monster respawn
event = {
id = galactic_features.362
hide_window = yes

is_triggered_only = yes

immediate = {
random_system = {
limit = {
has_star_flag = blue_system
NOT = {
any_ship_in_system = {
exists = owner
owner = { is_country_type = crystal }
}
any_country = {
intel_level = {
level > low
system = prev
}
}
}
}

Which is nowhere.

The file is galactic_features_events.txt, and almost all the space monsters are treated similarly to this example. Now, it used to be that this event was called by 00_on_actions.txt to fire it every so often, but that doesn't seem to be controlled from there now. I don't know where it's called, IF it's called.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 10, 2018

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The problem with respawning monsters is they have to happen in unclaimed space, and right now by mid game the costs of leaving neighboring systems unclaimed is higher than the cost to just claim them. By the time you undock your fleet and catch up to pirates they have blown up 500 minerals worth of mining stations and cost you maybe another hundred in increased fleet maintenance costs and lost income.

What would make more sense is if systems cost more upkeep the further they were away from a colonized planet. 1-2 systems away: normal maintenance, 3-4: double energy upkeep for starbases & mining / research stations, 5+: triple upkeep and double the effect on tech & unityc costs. This would both give an incentive to spread out colonies in large empires, and for small-medium empires not to just grab every system.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^With nebulas blocking vision, monsters should have at least some places to spawn that are intel-less right?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah the free part isn't crucial to the idea. Just making it work like in Sins of a Solar Empire (select system -> push mine button -> local construction ship builds mines) would help a lot already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or again terrain modifiers that make claiming an area impossible/even more undesirable. It's a common sci fi trope and makes an interesting one in stellaris because it affects empire borders. You could limit the pirate activity in said space too so that it's not a complete pain, only small raids, enough to be contained by a few defence platforms, but if you go into the area it will draw bigger pirate/monster fleets or perhaps a kind of leviathan that only patrols within that area.

If you wanted to you could even make it a late game thing that some of those spaces could be made habitable, like say there's some funky nebula making all systems in it uninhabitable, you can have a megaproject to stabilize the nebula in each system and maybe they have good resources in them. Adds a late game gold rush sort of thing for people to play around with.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 11, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

^^With nebulas blocking vision, monsters should have at least some places to spawn that are intel-less right?

You have no reason to not build Starbases in those areas because of the eventual Nebula Refineries, which also tend to become Anchorage-heavy if one's in your territory.

They'd have to be beyond a Fallen Empire territory or some such to be fully inaccessible.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

You do end up with no dead space very early sadly that's true. That's the downside of "no bad systems".

The way SotS created dead space was by simply having signifcant chunks of the galaxy be not useful to the player race but potentially useful to the AI, with some bits not useful to anyone. The bits that were contested ended up dead space if the "not useful" side won, and the bits that weren't good for anyone were good breeding grounds for minor menaces like space bees. With those local space animals spilling into empire space if they fill up their natural habitat.

Every system having enough space-based resources in it to make it worth claiming, and everyone living on more or less the same planets means every empire wants to expand, always and in every direction - and can actually do so.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
I can't stop playing this game!

Also, that sense of "what's out there?" when you first start a new game really hits the spot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gekkoh posted:

I can't stop playing this game!

Also, that sense of "what's out there?" when you first start a new game really hits the spot.

Yeah, unfortunately that dies off pretty early on as the game transfers from exploration to bureaucracy. Hopefully that's what Distant Stars aims to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Finally got around to take the psionic path and dick around in the Shroud. Here's my track record:

1. Got psi shields,
2. Got thrown out,
3. Got a malus to research,
4. Got thrown out again,
5. Got a malus to unity,
6. Accidentaly listened on some ancients talking and pissed off the Materialist FE,
7. Summoned an angry psionic Avatar i couldn't control (appeared in my fortress system and got blown out of the sku before I could even take a look).

Still didn't talk to any Chaos Gods - they're probably avoiding me, afraid that my Shroud luck is contaigious..