Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I was surprised to find Syndicated and Videology on there, but there's no way Film Noir or Spectacle would ever get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Chicago's indies are mostly onboard too, but even if it'd save me money I'm already at critical mass with monthly subscriptions

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MoviePass and all those other services just read off of Fandango. So my two little local theatres aren’t o it :/ I cancelled my subscription today though

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Empress Brosephine posted:

MoviePass and all those other services just read off of Fandango. So my two little local theatres aren’t o it :/ I cancelled my subscription today though

You fool.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
In the movie "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowships of The Rings", why did Frod have to continue the trip to Mort on his own? And why was the mandate that he has to continue the trip to mortar so lax that the movie instantly breaks that rule by sending Sam as well? And if they could send Sam, why couldn't they also send the Ranger formerly and confusingly known as Strider, Aracorn as well?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The Scientist posted:

In the movie "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowships of The Rings", why did Frod have to continue the trip to Mort on his own? And why was the mandate that he has to continue the trip to mortar so lax that the movie instantly breaks that rule by sending Sam as well? And if they could send Sam, why couldn't they also send the Ranger formerly and confusingly known as Strider, Aracorn as well?

Have you seen the first film? Boromir was the reason since if he wasn't alone other dudes would just get seduced/possessed by the ring then steal it and the whole mission is hosed. Sam is just retarded or wayy too inlove with Frodo to care. He realized this after it almost happened to him at the end of the movie.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Oh, ok. Thanks.

But then they choose known ring fetishist Smeagol and Gollum to come along?

Here's how I see it:

List of creatures that never show even the slightest interest in the ring beyond destroying it:
1. Gimli
2. Legolast
3. Strider and Agracorn
4. Merryn
5. Pipen

List of creatures motivated by repressed crypto-homosexual lust, who eventually become overcome by the ring's power even though that was supposed to be the sole reason they were chosen:
1. Froto
2. Sam

List of creatures that are the reason for the ring wraiths attacking the Shire, nearly killing Froto, drawing the attention of Sauronoman and the eyeball Suriname on Froto, known to murder for the ring, and also motivated by repressed crypto-homosexual lust:
1. Smeagol and Gollum

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Agracorn

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Toebone posted:

You could try, but the moviepass terms and service agreement says they can do pretty much whatever they want with the service. Go see those movies now.

wouldn't it be more the CC company's call?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jesus was a Agracorn
he hate organist feuds

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Alan Smithee posted:

wouldn't it be more the CC company's call?

Your CC company will have certain terms and conditions for doing a charge back; if moviepass hasn't broken the rules you agreed to when you signed up they're probably not going to do diddly.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Toebone posted:

One of the nicer perks of MoviePass is that it works at all the little NYC indie and arthouse theaters, in addition to the big chains.

And Drafthouse! Makes me feel a lot better about spending 9 bucks on middle of the road queso.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Is there any way to watch the Hobbit trilogy in 48 FPS or should I just turn on motion interpolation on my TV and watch the Blu Rays?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Probably just watch som'n else, Boinks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Unmature posted:

And Drafthouse! Makes me feel a lot better about spending 9 bucks on middle of the road queso.

This was the Moviepass pitch to the theater chains: if you partner with us, people will be willing to buy more concessions when they're seeing a movie for "free". But the theater chains are wary as hell of anyone loving with their racket and will not negotiate on any innovation they can't control root and branch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the theatrical version of LOTR at least, I think Sam was the only character in possession of the ring who ever gave it back without hesitatation. He was never tempted by its power.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Isn't that because Sam only wanted to have a kickass garden, and the ring couldn't help with that?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's because Sam is the only one in the Fellowship who isn't bougie as gently caress. He's the everyman who isn't tempted by power because he's too busy earning slave wages from Mr. Frodo.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In the book, while Sam is carrying the ring it tries to tempt him with visions of the greatest, most powerful garden of all time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I was surprised to find Syndicated and Videology on there, but there's no way Film Noir or Spectacle would ever get involved.

Is Videology a theater now? When I lived in W’burg it was a video store

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's been various degrees of microcinema for about 5 or 6 years. The back room started out as a space for comedy shows and movies playing in the background while people hung out and drank and talked, then moved into specialty events screening popular movies with drinking games or comedy commentary or whatever, then into (illegal) regular curated screenings of repertory cinema. About two years ago they occasionally started playing first-run indie movies. So they're a bit of a mix of all of that, these days.

Definitely not the sort of place I would assume would accept Moviepass.

I think they still have video rental but it's barely visible. I feel like that's only for film nerd street cred these days.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weird, I moved away in 2011 so I missed all that

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered: but why do some movies have extended opening credits while others just go right into the movie without credits until the end? Is that something that is negotiated for every film and/or production company?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Caustic posted:

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered: but why do some movies have extended opening credits while others just go right into the movie without credits until the end? Is that something that is negotiated for every film and/or production company?

Purely a matter of taste on the part of the producers and/or director.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Peccadillo posted:

Probably just watch som'n else, Boinks

My wife's friend came to visit and for some reason they wanted to watch The Hobbit.

All of it.

To be fair, I was only there for for of An Unexpected Journey, but I still find a lot to like. Part of me views a lot of it through a "Good stories deserve a little embellishment" lens, with Bilbo as an unreliable narrator exaggerating the events that he witnesses, which is basically just a defense mechanism to counter the ridiculousness. But I also love Ian McKellan, so I enjoy how they took the parts where Gandalf was absent in the book and used it to fill in the backstory leading up to The Fellowship of the Ring. I just feel like they didn't do a great job mashing these two things together.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot they hosed up. But there's still a lot to enjoy, too, and it still looks fantastic. Speaking of which, they also watched The Fellowship of the Ring, and it still looks gorgeous too. I think it might be my favorite one, because it had the least amount of action-hero Legolas but still showed how otherworldly he is (like walking on top of the snow while the other trudge through it), and Gimli isn't just played for laughs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The third one is one of the dullest films I've ever seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

Purely a matter of taste on the part of the producers and/or director.

Isn't the thing about the DGA fining Star Wars' 77 for not having credits at the beginning just apocryphal? That doesn't exactly make sense considering the Citizen Kane, '56 Around the World in 80 Days, West Side Story, and 2001: A Space Odyssey all have credits at the end (80 Days doesn't even have the title at the beginning). William Dieterle seemed to like eschewing specific credits entirely on his 40s films - The Devil and Daniel Webster simply has a list of names in alphabetical order covering the cast and crew.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Egbert Souse posted:

Isn't the thing about the DGA fining Star Wars' 77 for not having credits at the beginning just apocryphal? That doesn't exactly make sense considering the Citizen Kane, '56 Around the World in 80 Days, West Side Story, and 2001: A Space Odyssey all have credits at the end (80 Days doesn't even have the title at the beginning). William Dieterle seemed to like eschewing specific credits entirely on his 40s films - The Devil and Daniel Webster simply has a list of names in alphabetical order covering the cast and crew.
This makes it sound like the dispute was over The Empire Strikes Back, and the issue was that they were counting "Lucasfilm" (which does appear before the movie) as a personal credit, which they didn't like.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It made me laugh that the huge cliffhanger from 2 is solved in like 10 minutes and then it's just a new movie. The rest of it is mostly just dull rear end white noise.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My wife's friend came to visit and for some reason they wanted to watch The Hobbit.

All of it.

To be fair, I was only there for for of An Unexpected Journey, but I still find a lot to like. Part of me views a lot of it through a "Good stories deserve a little embellishment" lens, with Bilbo as an unreliable narrator exaggerating the events that he witnesses, which is basically just a defense mechanism to counter the ridiculousness. But I also love Ian McKellan, so I enjoy how they took the parts where Gandalf was absent in the book and used it to fill in the backstory leading up to The Fellowship of the Ring. I just feel like they didn't do a great job mashing these two things together.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot they hosed up. But there's still a lot to enjoy, too, and it still looks fantastic. Speaking of which, they also watched The Fellowship of the Ring, and it still looks gorgeous too. I think it might be my favorite one, because it had the least amount of action-hero Legolas but still showed how otherworldly he is (like walking on top of the snow while the other trudge through it), and Gimli isn't just played for laughs.

I agree with all of this. I can't hate the Hobbit trilogy and I genuinely enjoyed Justice League: Middle Earth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a good 2-3 hour movie in the Hobbit trilogy somewhere

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I watched the first Hobbit movie on a plane and I disliked it enough to not want to watch the rest. Hell, I watched the lovely Robocop remake on that same flight and I think I enjoyed it more lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The first one physically hurt my butt. I started getting angry at a theater chair.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I watched the first Hobbit movie on a plane and I disliked it enough to not want to watch the rest. Hell, I watched the lovely Robocop remake on that same flight and I think I enjoyed it more lol

got talk about an actively mediocre movie. Unnecessary and not even bad movie night material

it was basically a Fox tv show that got cancelled after season 1

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's an impossible situation. Huge, prolonged battles just aren't exciting, but they couldn't skip it. Everyone makes fun of Tolkien knocking out Bilbo for the duration, but it's BETTER that way. Anyway, yeah, I agree. The huge action scenes drag the film down.

I'd love to see the Bilbo story as a separate cut. The wackiness would be consistent and you'd avoid the tonal whiplash the film has as currently cut, and you could keep the extra songs and stuff from the extended version. The introduction to Smaug remains great, by the way.

(And yes, they watched the extended cuts of all four films. Lotta loving moviewatching, that is.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

I've always heard that Lucas got fined and rage quit the Director's Guide as a result. It's entirely possible directors like Kubrick and Wells just paid their fine or got away with it because the governing body liked them more. It may have also mattered that Star Wars was the biggest film ever, so there was more attention paid to Lucas.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a good 2-3 hour movie in the Hobbit trilogy somewhere

There was a Tolkien Edit that took all three movies and cut it down to a 4 hour movie. Never watched it, but it sounded like a better way to consume the trilogy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm sure it's better than the theatrical, yeah, but those movies are rotten to their core. Their wrongheaded tone, piss-poor humor, and lack of character development are impossible to salvage. You can't fan-edit-away the fact that 12/14 of your main cast members are pieces of cardboard or that your source fantastical children's story with talking animals has been written and shot as a gritty fantasy war epic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A good half of both the second and third film was added in reshoots since they were meant to be one film.

I think the original plan was to end the first film with Smaug going out to attack Laketown. I know the love triangle is entirely a reshoots thing so even the first film has a bit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure it's better than the theatrical, yeah, but those movies are rotten to their core. Their wrongheaded tone, piss-poor humor, and lack of character development are impossible to salvage. You can't fan-edit-away the fact that 12/14 of your main cast members are pieces of cardboard or that your source fantastical children's story with talking animals has been written and shot as a gritty fantasy war epic.

We were talking about this in another thread recently, and I think it was HUNDU who pointed out just how soulless and mercenary they are. That Jackson really, really, really didn't want to do them is transparent on the screen, he just did not give a poo poo.