Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
ehh, so I reinstalled after playing some of the new Battletech game and getting the itch to pilot stompy death robits again. I saw they added Solaris. Is it any good? Wait... it's PGI so there's probably no way it's good.

Have there been any other major changes since the mechlab overhaul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

hoo boy, the Triple nipple 9a1 is actually a really good mech right now. Pop those CTs left right and centre.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Rape Stink posted:

ehh, so I reinstalled after playing some of the new Battletech game and getting the itch to pilot stompy death robits again. I saw they added Solaris. Is it any good? Wait... it's PGI so there's probably no way it's good.

Have there been any other major changes since the mechlab overhaul?

Solaris is incredibly frustrating unless you have a mech you're very good with AND it happens to be the meta mech in that division. Usually people will play 2-3 games of Solaris and come to .. rather obvious conclusions. One of those conclusions being that the matchmaker will set you up for defeat if you happen to win too many games in a row.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

hoo boy, the Triple nipple 9a1 is actually a really good mech right now. Pop those CTs left right and centre.

I'm tempted to do the triple nipple, but I'm a pretty big fan of my quad nipple annihilator.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Would some generous individual explain ATMs to me? Starting with what it stands for... google is giving me some conflicting ideas about what they are and are good for.

Okay, so ATMs (Advanced Tactical Missiles) are clan's answer to MRMs. They're meant to be used at a shorter range than lrms, but not point blank like srms.
Range brackets are as follows (can be extended with skill tree)
0-150m: 0 dmg.
150-270m: 3 dmg per missile.
270-550m: 2 dmg per missile.
550-1100m: 1 dmg per missile.
Upsides, ATMs have a low firing arc that allows you to arc them under cover, such as hpg basement or the parking garage on crimson strait. If you can stay in your optimal damage range they absolutely poo poo damage. Per ton they are incomparable. They track sharply too so they are much more useful for hitting faster mechs than lrms (especially since you're closer to begin with).
Downsides, they're still missiles. Proper cover use or just charging you makes them worthless. They have half the ammo-per-ton of lrms and only barely more than srms. If you ever fire them outside 500m you might as well just punch yourself in the dick at the same time. Did I mention theyre still missiles? AMS is a thing. Also damage spreading.

Overall, ATMs have a very hard niche and should never ever be carried without backup weapons. The MDD carries them pretty well. There are a few mediums that carry them well at the cost of longevity (not much ammo space). There are a couple of assaults that carry them decently due to their ability to have shitloads plus backup weapons. (Pray you never get caught at 200m by an atm48 heavy laser supernova).
If you're still a relatively new player, ATMs are a hard avoid. If you genuinely feel you're good enough AND you have a decent amount of missile experience already, they're interesting and worth trying out.

Hope this wall of text helps.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
One way to get your feet wet with ATMs (and my preferred mech for them at the moment) is with the cougar. It can carry 2 ATM9s, a decent number of backup lasers, ecm, JJs, and an active probe; you have some flexibility if you want bigger backup weapons by sacrificing the JJs or probe, or you can swap in a light tag.

Standard cougar advice applies - stay with the pack, share your ecm, gather locks, and don't fire the atms until you're punching 54 damage a volley (or at least 36).

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 10, 2018

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Cool, thanks for the advice.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
On the note of ATMs, one of the mechs I've had fun using them on is the SCR-D. This mech used to do great as an SRM bomber, or a light-killer with streaks. Not so much anymore, since it's hit-boxes always kinda sucked, and it's a bit of a glass cannon.

Where the speed and agility of the SCR still work is a skirmishing instead of brawling playstyle. Being able to reposition quickly with ATMs is great, and the Godhand of 6 c-ersl really does the trick, both for adding some pinpoint finishing damage at your missile optimal, and for legging lights that manage to underrun you.

Max firepower, cool run, and the rest to taste. I'm currently on max armour tree, with NARC nodes and no mobility, but speed tweak can be a good move too.

RE: my previous post. Beefy, I wasn't trying to say anything bad about the act of purging, or those who did (do) it. I was pointing out how the whole 'invite cost scales on unit size' idea is bad. I think it's a heavy-handed response (probably) to allay goon-fear in the early days.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
That Stormcrow looks wacky. I may have to give it a try!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Help I’m addicted to MRM40

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

That Stormcrow looks wacky. I may have to give it a try!

It's ok, but the nice thing about the stormcrow is that it's an omni-mech, so you can mix and match omnipods for different builds easily.

The downside is that it's not a mech that can take much damage. Ironically, it's a champ at twisting, but it's almost impossible to hide your giant nose in a brawl.

So, it's niche is really in the peek-and-poke phase (NOT long-range with ATMs plz) where you use your agility to get favourable trades. Once it comes down to the brawl though, I'm usually limping around on one leg with no armour left in short order.

Oh, and the high missile hardpoints on the shoulders allowing you to fire over hills a little better is the only reason I put ATM on it in the first place.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2018

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol i just legged someone with collision damage with both my side torsos gone

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
guess melee attacks are ingame after all

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Help I’m addicted to MRM40

Wonder what MRMs plus UAC20s would be like on a kcrab or something

Btw is the nightstar any good does anyone know?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
BSW-P2 with 4 pulse mediums and a mrm40

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Wonder what MRMs plus UAC20s would be like on a kcrab or something

Btw is the nightstar any good does anyone know?

It's pretty ok on the Atlas. So I couldn't imagine it would be bad on the KGC.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Battletech has made me want a Highlander. Can anything decent be done with them or are they just irredeemable?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Axetrain posted:

Battletech has made me want a Highlander. Can anything decent be done with them or are they just irredeemable?

HGN-733
HGN-733P
HGN-733P

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Highlanders are trash

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
All this poo poo is 40% off: (this is just the regular C-Bill mechs, there are a bunch of heroes on sale too)

quote:

Mech - BUSHWACKER BSW-X1
Mech - BUSHWACKER BSW-X2
Mech - BUSHWACKER BSW-S2
Mech - BUSHWACKER BSW-P1
Mech - BUSHWACKER BSW-P2

Mech - SUPERNOVA SNV-1
Mech - SUPERNOVA SNV-3
Mech - SUPERNOVA SNV-A
Mech - SUPERNOVA SNV-B
Mech - SUPERNOVA SNV-C

Mech - BLACKJACK BJ-2

Mech - STALKER STK-3FB

Mech - HELLBRINGER HBR-F

Mech - SUMMONER SMN-F
Mech - SUMMONER SMN-M

Mech - ASSASSIN ASN-21
Mech - ASSASSIN ASN-23
Mech - ASSASSIN ASN-101
Mech - ASSASSIN ASN-26
Mech - ASSASSIN ASN-27

Mech - ROUGHNECK RGH-1A
Mech - ROUGHNECK RGH-1B
Mech - ROUGHNECK RGH-1C
Mech - ROUGHNECK RGH-2A
Mech - ROUGHNECK RGH-3A

Mech - JAVELIN JVN-10N
Mech - JAVELIN JVN-10F
Mech - JAVELIN JVN-10P
Mech - JAVELIN JVN-11A
Mech - JAVELIN JVN-11B

Mech - UZIEL UZL-3S
Mech - UZIEL UZL-2S
Mech - UZIEL UZL-3P
Mech - UZIEL UZL-5P
Mech - UZIEL UZL-6P

Mech - ANNIHILATOR ANH-2A
Mech - ANNIHILATOR ANH-1A
Mech - ANNIHILATOR ANH-1E
Mech - ANNIHILATOR ANH-1X
Mech - ANNIHILATOR ANH-1P

Mech - COUGAR COU-PRIME
Mech - COUGAR COU-C
Mech - COUGAR COU-D
Mech - COUGAR COU-E
Mech - COUGAR COU-H

Mech - MAD CAT MK II MCII-1
Mech - MAD CAT MK II MCII-2
Mech - MAD CAT MK II MCII-4
Mech - MAD CAT MK II MCII-A
Mech - MAD CAT MK II MCII-B

Mech - MIST LYNX MLX-G

Mech - ARCTIC CHEETAH ACH-E

Mech - ICE FERRET IFR-P

Mech - SHADOW CAT SHC-H

Mech - MAD DOG MDD-H

Mech - EBON JAGUAR EBJ-D

Mech - HELLBRINGER HBR-P

Mech - GARGOYLE GAR-E

Mech - EXECUTIONER EXE-E

Mech - OSIRIS OSR-3D
Mech - OSIRIS OSR-4D
Mech - OSIRIS OSR-1V
Mech - OSIRIS OSR-2V
Mech - OSIRIS OSR-1P

Mech - NIGHTSTAR NSR-9J
Mech - NIGHTSTAR NSR-9FC
Mech - NIGHTSTAR NSR-9S
Mech - NIGHTSTAR NSR-9P
Mech - NIGHTSTAR NSR-10P

Mech - ARCTIC WOLF ACW-PRIME
Mech - ARCTIC WOLF ACW-A
Mech - ARCTIC WOLF ACW-P
Mech - ARCTIC WOLF ACW-1
Mech - ARCTIC WOLF ACW-2

Mech - NOVA CAT NCT-PRIME
Mech - NOVA CAT NCT-A
Mech - NOVA CAT NCT-B
Mech - NOVA CAT NCT-C
Mech - NOVA CAT NCT-D

Mech - THANATOS TNS-4S
Mech - THANATOS TNS-4P
Mech - THANATOS TNS-5P
Mech - THANATOS TNS-5S
Mech - THANATOS TNS-5T

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 11, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

:siren: Urbie K-9 is on sale! :siren:

:siren::siren:
:byobear:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The ACW sells for more than it's worth AGAIN, get in on it while you can, the ACW-1 in particular I think.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yardbomb posted:

The ACW sells for more than it's worth AGAIN, get in on it while you can, the ACW-1 in particular I think.

so what just keep buying and selling it for free c-bills?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

ROFLMAO!!!!

The ACW-1 costs 4,297,855 CB and sells for 5,685,481 CB for a PROFIT of +1,387,626
The ACW-2 costs 4,155,685 CB and sells for 5,580,481 CB for a PROFIT of +1,424,796
ACW-P doesn't work.
(didnt bother testing the others)

so basically you can rake in 2.81 mill per transaction.

I just tested this and made a cool +10mil LOLOLOLO

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 11, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Oh cool infinity space bucks.

E: Sweet went from about 20 mil to 120 in like 25 minutes.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 11, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:gary:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 11, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah its deceptive at first because it looks like it sells for 2.5 or something but thats before you can sell the equipment which doubles that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm exploiting the christ out of this, it's worth risking a ban hahaha.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
Thanks thread, made a quick 50 mil space bux before work this morn.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this is hilarious and awesome, worst case scenario would be them taking back the money right?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They'll probably take the money back. That's what they usually do.

They might also ban you, but that's an outside chance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
That’s bullshit I’m arms smuggling in faction play

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

PGI seem pretty content to put the blame on themselves every time a c-bill exploit gets out, worst they've done the past like 6 times was bust your money, BUT they won't take back things you bought so.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 11, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Send some of your ill-gotten gains to the WoL coffers please.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
This match score event is making people play like idiots (worse than usual), I swear. Teamwork goes out the window everytime there's a KMDD or match score event.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo i'm bad at clan mechs

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So instead of setting up a shadow cat for machine gun and laser fun I did up an arctic cheetah instead cause I think lights are my favorite thing to play. 6 Machine guns, three heavy medium lasers, and 140 kph is fun.

As usual the builds in the OP are quality, so thanks for that. Too bad my skills are still so awful. Close to moving up to Tier 4 though haha.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
So it looks like they removed the ACW-2 from the sale. However, the ACW-1 is still on sale and still turns about a 1,000,000 C-Bill profit. Have fun.

Edit: Not 3 minutes later they removed the ACW-1 from the sale. Welp.

Corn Burst fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 11, 2018

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Actually I better get spending this booty, I pretty sure they will do a C-Bill reset. I did drop 20 mil in the unit coffers though and it looks like someone else donated even more so WoL should have plenty of walking around money for now at least.

E: whats the best Nightstar? I already have most of the good mechs so now im just gonna blow 100mil on stupid poo poo.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
Nightstar-9P is aight, I use 3x AC-10s + 1 light PPC to great pinpoint effect.