Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chomskyan posted:

https://twitter.com/PortlandDSA/status/994396788185432064

If any of you all in Oregon can make it this evening, we're trying to roll back the Mayor's proposal to cut parks and other spending (and hire 60 new cops)
It was revised yesterday to 49 new cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

anthonypants posted:

It was revised yesterday to 49 new cops.

49 too many

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There's nothing wrong with cops as long as they're disarmed and minorities like God herself.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Feels like every op-ed from businesses opposing the head tax basically goes "we want to end homelessness but we don't want to do it like this :qq: "

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

There's more poor people than rich people so if they just taxed the poor more then they would have their budget windfall. Simple economics really.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/BetsBarnes/status/994717759987580928

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We need to do something about these transplants, who are taking are jobs https://twitter.com/ThePortlandTrib/status/994972263878361088

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Someone needs to give that kid a wedgie.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also Chrissy Teigen's husband is on Twitter posting about the Washington County DA race for some reason https://twitter.com/johnlegend/status/995030452929871872

Here's an OPB article about the race, written by a good journalist who once worked for the Mercury, and the Oregonian up until recently

If you don't know who this guy is he's in a lot of Chrissy Teigen's tweets and instagrams https://twitter.com/chrissyteigen/status/995144154249244673

do you really trust THIS man to give you political advice???????????????

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 13, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Chrissie Teigens husband? Lol.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

We need to do something about these transplants, who are taking are jobs https://twitter.com/ThePortlandTrib/status/994972263878361088

Seeing what Oregon politicians do on a daily basis, it isn't like he could do worse than your local guys.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

anthonypants posted:

quote:

"I am currently in an undisclosed location that is not a normal residence avoiding detection by the New Jersey authorities who want to throw me in jail for political reasons," Hafner said. "So, the last place I am going to show up right now is somewhere that it would be very easy to tie me to. But if I win the primary, and by default the general election, that could change things."

gently caress it, sounds like he’ll fit right in

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I need all my local office politicians operating out of undisclosed bunkers.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

He's going up against Earl Blumenauer for not being sufficiently pro-marijuana.

It would be impressive if he didn't try to style himself after Tony Soprano.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think "I'm running for local office probably 3000 miles away but an undisclosed location" might be peak internet.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Seattle City Council votes 9-0 for scaled-down head tax on large employers

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-votes-9-0-for-scaled-down-head-tax-on-large-employers/

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Get hosed Bezos

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Heh, I jumped on the Seattle Reddit and they are so loving mad about the tax. I'm glad we got something out of Amazon, it can always be dialed up later.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Peachfart posted:

Heh, I jumped on the Seattle Reddit and they are so loving mad about the tax. I'm glad we got something out of Amazon, it can always be dialed up later.

Since Reddit is mad I will assume this tax is a good thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I've witnessed an argument against it that didn't at least implicitly include "poor plucky amazon can't afford a tax that amounts to $0.24 an hour wage increases"

The closest I've seen is "this is not the optimal solution to this problem" which if it were the real belief would amount to a sort of half-hearted opposition not full-throated

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also Amazon's official response is "we're ontinuing the construction which we said we'd stop but maybe we'll still stop after all! who knows!" which I read as it having been an empty threat all along

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you know someone who believed Amazon's threat, they are either lying or stupid. Amazon won't leave Seattle over a tiny tax such as this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean I'm not convinced I've heard a sincere argument against is that wasn't from amazon itself saying "gently caress you we want money"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's like we refused to learn any lessons from Boeing other than "placate big business so they can keep loving us".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
horns.aiff

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-returns-to-wells-fargo-no-other-bank-wants-citys-business/

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bob Hasegawa may not have had much else going for him in the mayoral race, but his idea for a public bank was not a bad one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Bob Hasegawa may not have had much else going for him in the mayoral race, but his idea for a public bank was not a bad one.
Yeah, I really wish he would have focused on that instead of running for mayor.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Here are some results from yesterday's election. To me at least, its more about who lost than who won.

https://twitter.com/OPB/status/996624170673815555
The Republican lost the race for labor commissioner

https://twitter.com/wweek/status/996602448507621377
Landlord Senator Rod Monroe lost his primary to a progressive democrat

https://twitter.com/wweek/status/996607123021643781
Noted racist white lady Felicia Willians lost the race for city council (not that anyone expected her to win)

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 16, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I was disappointed but not terribly surprised by the outcome for the Washington County DA. There was another race though where I went looking up the candidates and had to spend some extra time thinking about it because they were both formerly public defenders.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

We're so close, we're SO close.

If we can defeat him this time, it should be the end of the curse.

http://www.maplevalleyreporter.com/opinion/eyman-risks-retirement-funds-on-car-tab-initiative/

quote:

Tim Eyman is so convinced his latest initiative attack on car tabs is a winner, he’s tapping the one source of money he can count on these days to finance the effort — his own.

Eyman said he is draining $500,000 from an investment account earmarked for retirement and using it to hire a professional signature-gathering firm to help get the proposed $30 car tab measure in front of voters. Details were to appear in reports to be filed May 10 with the state Public Disclosure Commission.

“It’s an absolute risk,” he said. “I am willing to risk a half-million dollars that this will deliver the tax relief it promises.”

Dramatic or desperate — depending on one’s perspective — the move is tacit recognition the initiative industrial complex constructed by Eyman the past two decades has crumbled.

There is no longer a bevy of anti-tax, anti-government capitalists on which he can rely to underwrite these annual ventures. Absent this sturdy financial foundation, he must get a bunch more of his loyal followers to write checks for a bunch more than $50 to succeed.

It didn’t happen in 2016 or 2017 and, as a result, Eyman-backed initiatives to reduce car tabs didn’t come close to qualifying for the ballot.

And at the start of April, when Eyman announced signature-gathering had begun for Initiative 976, the landscape looked eerily familiar.

On the policy side, he is once again pushing a measure to lower car tab fees on passenger vehicles to $30 and eliminate the voter-approved motor vehicle excise tax collected by Sound Transit. The proposed initiative also would get rid of weight fees imposed by the state and vehicle fees charged by cities for what are known as Transportation Benefit Districts.

On the money side, it again looked bleak. Voters Want More Choices, the political committee through which this and all Eyman initiative campaigns are funded, reported having only about $30,000 in the bank. It takes around $1 million these days to qualify an initiative.

Eyman said he loaned $100,000 to the committee in April and will put in another $150,000 in May. The remaining $250,000 will be funneled to the political committee’s coffers in coming months as needed, he said.

Ultimately, he said in an interview and email to supporters, it will take another half-million dollars to pay professionals to round up the 259,622 voter signatures required to qualify.

“I got them out there,” he said. “But we need to raise more to keep them out there.”

Interestingly, Citizen Solutions is the company hired to get signatures for I-976. Eyman and the firm are locked in a legal battle with Attorney General Bob Ferguson who has accused them of politically corrupt acts when they teamed up on two initiatives in 2012.

Eyman faces civil charges of secretly moving funds between the two campaigns and receiving $308,000 in kickbacks from Citizen Solutions. Eyman denies wrongdoing and the case could go to trial this fall.

Meanwhile, Eyman is pushing two initiatives this year as well. His second one would make state lawmakers subject to Washington’s public records law.

He insisted his energy — and his money — is all directed toward the car tab measure. Because it is an initiative to the Legislature, he has until Jan. 4, 2019, to get signatures. If successful, it would wind up on a ballot in November 2019.

“I’ve got faith supporters will be there to raise the additional funds.” he said. “I’ve got faith voters will pass it. I’ve got faith it is crafted well enough to deliver promised savings.”

He’s betting a bit of his future on it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I hope he dies poor.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I hope he’s walking down the street and an old af Honda Civic rolls by him and the license plate flies off the front of it and wildly spins right by his jugular but misses. Then the glue on the tab gives way and his relief from not getting Kung Lao’d causes him to inhale the tab and he chokes on it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nah, poor and forgotten would be perfect.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I hope the state of Washington names the building that issues car tabs after him in a final 'gently caress you' to him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It costing a million dollars to get an initiative on the ballot feels like it goes against the spirit of initiatives but on the other hand if it keeps Eyman off then good riddance

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

cheetah7071 posted:

It costing a million dollars to get an initiative on the ballot feels like it goes against the spirit of initiatives but on the other hand if it keeps Eyman off then good riddance

It doesn't when you don't have to literally pay people to force a ballot initiative on because you are almost universally hated by everyone.

Remember this rear end in a top hat is why all our ballets have that stupid "the legislature, funded the government WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PEOPLE" advisory statemrnts.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If getting an initiative on the ballot was trivial you'd have dozens, maybe hundreds on there each time, many of them from whackadoodles. It's just not practical.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I get that it shouldn't be trivial but it also shouldn't be buyable. But, since having money is basically a cheat code in capitalism, money can substitute for effort basically no matter how the rules are written. A problem but not one with an easy solution.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I mean, the less popular a potential initiative is, the more expensive it is (and vice-versa). And below a certain level of popularity it becomes impractical or even impossible to get it on the ballot.

But yeah ideally there'd be a way less dependent on money. I'm just not sure of what such a method would be that would actually be an all-around improvement on the current setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Not sure how to crack the nut of making referendums accessible while keeping out the crazies, but I know intuitively what the solution, whatever it may be, will look like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!