Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I will drone on endlessly about issues of pedestrian and cyclist safety, but the fact of the matter is that in our extremely stupid and hosed up country even something as dumb as how you get around has become an us-vs-them identity politics touchstone and I have no doubt in my mind that there are chuds out there fantasizing about killing a fruity liberal footuser with their trucks and getting an erection over the idea.

you’ve just described shaggar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

like i said i don't think they necessarily have to be any more dangerous than what we already use, i just think that will take careful design and regulation as well as developing new procedures or tools for first responders. the fact that the NTSB is investigating this at all tells me we're proobably not quite there yet

right but my interpretation was that the ntsb was investigating it because the door handles don't open from the inside or something, not just because of the batteries.

i guess they might just be gathering data on battery fires in general since lithium electric cars are relatively new.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its also entirely possible that its a problem with lack of protections for the lithium cells. like that fiesta or w/e that exploded when you hit it from the back.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

right but my interpretation was that the ntsb was investigating it because the door handles don't open from the inside

the article heavily implies this but yeah it might not be

or maybe it's anything they can find now since the muskman hung up on them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

couldnt earlier models of the prius electrocute people replacing the 12v battery due to the way the hybrid battery charged it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

like that fiesta or w/e that exploded when you hit it from the back.

keep my mom out of this tia

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I know there was a meme going around back in the day for Priuses because there was a worry that mechanics would electrocute themselves since there were much higher power systems in it than they were used to dealing with?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

I know there was a meme going around back in the day for Priuses because there was a worry that mechanics would electrocute themselves since there were much higher power systems in it than they were used to dealing with?

Yeah, the prius had 288 volts DC at virtually unlimited amps. Drop a wrench across a car battery and it arcs and pops and heats up. Drop a wrench across a Prius pack and it explodes in your face

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

keep my mom out of this tia

hehehe

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the software people leak so hard on tesla's though since a bunch of emergency procedures are of the lazy "since this is technically possible, its the same thing as the issue being solved" variety

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"the doors only work with power"
"yeah but if there's no power the car wont work so who cares; CLOSED/WONTFIX"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
laziness being considered a positive trait seems to make software people the masters of deflecting and avoiding work

definitely the people you want around for safety critical things

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i get too much pleasure out of smugly driving the speed limit in school zones and watching the car behind me race up only to helplessly ride my slow rear end for 200 yards

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah pettiness :perfect:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

darn tootin

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

i get too much pleasure out of smugly driving the speed limit in school zones and watching the car behind me race up only to helplessly ride my slow rear end for 200 yards

same, but with all residential areas

your rear end can slow the gently caress down, there's kids playing around here you impatient fucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I was 16 and in mom's grand am, doing about 55 in a 25, a cop was on a DV call and ran to his car to pull me over, i got screamed at for an hour but he had radar off so couldnt ticket i guess

i never again sped in residentials

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stop getting shaggared and pour out a lil of your nitro coldbrew la croix for a true innovator who just coincidentally happens to be shutting down the day before the gdpr takes effect

quote:

I’m writing to let you know that Lithium has made the decision to sunset the Klout service, effective May 25, 2018.

Lithium is committed to providing you with the technology and services that will enable you to differentiate your customer experience. Our recent launch of Lithium Messaging is evidence of our focus on this mission. The Klout acquisition provided Lithium with valuable artificial intelligence (AI) and machinelearning capabilities but Klout as a standalone service is not aligned with our long-term strategy.

Our goal with these AI and machine learning investments is to improve our customer care capabilities across the board, whether that’s self-service, peer-to-peer, or direct-to-brand. In the near-term, for example, we will be looking to improve agent productivity within SMM and improve the overall user experience in Community through the application of AI, while we are also planning the launch of a new social impact scoring methodology based on Twitter.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dumbest driver I remember was some lady losing her loving mind cause I was slowly coasting to red lights (as opposed to driving and stopping quickly for no reason?) so much screaming and gesticulating, hated that I kept getting ahead of her while going slower. do cars gently caress with peoples brains or just bring to light what was already there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OldAlias posted:

do cars gently caress with peoples brains or just bring to light what was already there
the tom vanderbilt book on traffic goes into this. he argues that most human interaction and signalling is through verbal language, body language, and especially eye contact - none of which you have when youre interacting with other drivers on the road. youre in your sealed pod, not interacting in any social or personal way with the people in other sealed pods around you, and all the hundreds of thousands of years of evolved social cues just disappear completely, and lots of people default to howling and screeching

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
jokes on them cuz thats my default anyways.

or at least when walking around on busy sf sidewalks i howl and screech when people waddle around swerving in the middle of a narrow sidewalk on their phone not letting people around or randomly stop walking in the middle to check their phone while there's 5 people right behind them adfdsfsdd

phoens are a cancer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like watching idiots get shoved on sidewalks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

OldAlias posted:

dumbest driver I remember was some lady losing her loving mind cause I was slowly coasting to red lights (as opposed to driving and stopping quickly for no reason?) so much screaming and gesticulating, hated that I kept getting ahead of her while going slower. do cars gently caress with peoples brains or just bring to light what was already there

i do this a lot and people loving scream and rage and race me it's goddamn hilarious

sorry i know how urban traffic lights work and will roll five under so i'm going 20mph when it turns green right after you race up and slam on the brakes?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

i'd say it happens approximately with the same frequency as electric cars having total thermal runaway incineration events

yeah we've read about a few teslas burning up in the last few months but only because they're novel. gas cars burn to the ground all the time and everyone just goes "well, it was gasoline, after all"

there are plenty of things actually wrong with teslas to complain about. you don't have to be a nimby luddite about new types of energy storage that aren't any more dangerous than what we currently use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNqX7Vc8-bU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, the prius had 288 volts DC at virtually unlimited amps. Drop a wrench across a car battery and it arcs and pops and heats up. Drop a wrench across a Prius pack and it explodes in your face

you have to work really hard to get to a prius pack

for the last decade at least the prius wont charge the 12v battery off of the hybrid battery if the 12v is dead; car won't engage the hybrid battery without the tiny 12v battery to turn on the rest of the systems

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS

THERE'S NO BAD DOGS ONLY BAD OWNERS

Dog shoots man: Iowa pet pulls trigger on owner

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/10/iowa-dog-shoots-man

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

qirex posted:

stop getting shaggared and pour out a lil of your nitro coldbrew la croix for a true innovator who just coincidentally happens to be shutting down the day before the gdpr takes effect

i see words but they don't make any sense??

its either a stroke or tech

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

irresponsible treatment of gun by owner, dog remains good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bulgakov posted:

i see words but they don't make any sense??

its either a stroke or tech

there are new EU regulations regarding data retention and privacy that all companies have to comply with if they have EU customers

Klout has chosen to shut the gently caress down rather than comply

the fines are purposely set to be Crippling

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roosevelt posted:

yeah same. i generally drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit but i absolutely refuse to speed through an active school zone

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
more pixie-dust-and-unicorn-farts investor storytime from uber - todays, its the high tech flying car terminals of the future

quote:

John Badalamenti, Uber’s head of design for advanced programs and aviation, called the designs a “culmination of hundreds of designers and engineers that have created dozens of designs for a highly efficient and modular Skyport.” He added, “While uberAIR might feel like a far away dream, it’s closer than you think and urban infrastructure has to start to evolve now to keep up.”
thats right you cities need to start reconfiguring your infrastructure toot sweet in order to accommodate these fairy princess castles made of spun dreams that will never come close to ever being built. or else!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
alternatively: uber plans to deal with heightened regulatory scrutiny in the usa by moving abroad and reincorporating the company on naboo

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol thats so fuckin' dumb

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you gotta speed through school zone so your car is a threat for a shorter period of time tho

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
you know what the faa loves?

airports in the middle of cities and planes just flying around tall buildings flouting regulations willy nilly

they love that poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when did uber hire dahir insaat

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you know what the faa loves?

airports in the middle of cities and planes just flying around tall buildings flouting regulations willy nilly

they love that poo poo
well thats why cities need to start tearing themselves apart now and completely rebuild themselves to accommodate these entirely real and absolutely just around the corner uber flying cars. didnt you see what that one uber guy was saying?!?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

more pixie-dust-and-unicorn-farts investor storytime from uber - todays, its the high tech flying car terminals of the future

thats right you cities need to start reconfiguring your infrastructure toot sweet in order to accommodate these fairy princess castles made of spun dreams that will never come close to ever being built. or else!

https://i.imgur.com/ux9EMSe.mp4

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lol

i'm still waiting on the post mortem (haha) in to what the autonomous engine was thinking when it hit that ped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

This is like someone took generic art from SimCity/Anno 2205 and slobbed Uber logos and Hexagons across everything. But I understand that it is all part of the same overall appeal?