Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
How I feel about xcoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB_oU68Q9zA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which data structure should they build a cult around next?

BLOBs

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
JSON, the only truly cross-platform, web scale, universally readable data structure. :v:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

XML. It holds your data without limitation, can be encrypted, can be sent anywhere*, instantly**, for zero fees, is universally recognized and globally adopted by intrinsically valuable industry and banksters alike, and is also the easiest to execute malicious attacks through

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Skip lists. They have been around for ages but are pretty obscure. They technically solve the problem they are designed to do, but there are better solutions for the problem they (try to) solve.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I got a guy that’s a friend at my brew pub, sitting next to me now lol.

He’s just said he bought a new car off of eutherurum or whatever. I shook my head and said btc lol. He said it’s all different and not subject to the hacks, the power consumption, the risks, etc. I said crypto today is bullshit. Is he right? Lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yes, buy Ethereum now. The price can only go up.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Burt Sexual posted:

He said it’s all different and not subject to the hacks, the power consumption, the risks, etc. I said crypto today is bullshit. Is he right?

He’s full of poo poo. “Ethereum is an open-source, public, blockchain-based distributed computing platform”

The only notable difference is it added a scripting language to make making smart contracts easier* than the original bitcoin implementation

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clockwerk posted:

He’s full of poo poo. “Ethereum is an open-source, public, blockchain-based distributed computing platform”

The only notable difference is it added a scripting language to make making smart contracts easier* than the original bitcoin implementation

He just said proof of work is bad, his is proof of ? I didn’t want to follow up.

E is tether involved in this poo poo too lol?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Why not make Coincoin?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

He has a free car, you’re posting in GBS asking if crypto is good... Yikes Sherlock how we gonna crack this case, is crypto good!!!??

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

He has a free car, you’re posting in GBS asking if crypto is good... Yikes Sherlock how we gonna crack this case, is crypto good!!!??

Hi cfs

Please help me answer my questions. You know a lot about this. Tia

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Shinjobi posted:

Why not make Coincoin?

Its called Tether

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Proof of work is bad but also the one clever thing that pulls everything together to make bitcoin something novel. I have heard of proof of stake, but while solving the wastefulness issue, weighs itself upon the fact that someone holding a majority of existing assets wouldn’t do something selfish because it would be detrimental to the network. Lol

What proof system secures blockchain? I’m legitimately curious

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Anti-climate destruction on the mining side, anti-climate destruction on the consumption side. It’s a win-win!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Proof of stake. I said what is that. He said I promise to make good validations of transactions. I said so don’t and what happens. Stare.

I asked what hash algorithm it uses aes or sha, and what variation, he said btc uses sha, but not eurothro. He didn’t know what aes was or what eurotrash uses Lol

I mentioned I was a comp sci grad and systems guy for work. He’s v angry that I don’t “get it”. He did say he didn’t care about the energy anyways, world is going to burn anyways, lol dude used fygm and is a kinda hippy enviro young guy.

Lastly he tried to explain stake as urethra uses a “gold” mining metaphor. I said so it’s Wow gold. He left :(

That concludes my live blog crypto interaction

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clockwerk posted:

Proof of work is bad but also the one clever thing that pulls everything together to make bitcoin something novel. I have heard of proof of stake, but while solving the wastefulness issue, weighs itself upon the fact that someone holding a majority of existing assets wouldn’t do something selfish because it would be detrimental to the network. Lol

Random guessing through hashing, I still don’t know what ureacoin proof is.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Ethereum encryption algorithm is a roll your own implementation. I don’t know what name it’s been given by vitalik.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clockwerk posted:

Ethereum encryption algorithm is a roll your own implementation. I don’t know what name it’s been given by vitalik.

Encryption != hash

gently caress

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/pow-cheapest/

Nothing is Cheaper than Proof of Work

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Holy gently caress I ain’t reading that

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Clockwerk posted:

there’s no proof of x in blockchain, it’s exactly what I said about signed emails

people equate bitcoin with blockchain but they are separate

neither thing is useful, but they are two totally different things hth

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes, bitcoiners love to point to proof of stake as solving bitcoin's horrible wastefulness but that's a pipe dream pushed by idiots who don't know how any of this poo poo works

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

let it mellow posted:

there’s no proof of x in blockchain, it’s exactly what I said about signed emails

people equate bitcoin with blockchain but they are separate

neither thing is useful, but they are two totally different things hth

I meant to ask what proof of 'x' did he claim secures the blockchain for whatever coin that guy was talking about

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
truthcoin.info :thunk: i like it. has anyone made truthcoininfocoin yet?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
It's that day of the week again

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah, the classic Friday drop!

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

quote:

Bitcoin is not the currency of the future

We need to stop listening to self-proclaimed experts and hack economists who say

Bitcoin will change the world

The Bitcoin experiment has finally been resolved. Everybody was wrong:

Bitcoin is dead.

Mike Hearn said ‘farewell to Bitcoin’ and took a job with Goldman Sachs because he thought

‘Bitcoin is just an experiment.’

Circle CEO Jeremy Allaire says nobody will be using Bitcoin in 5 years because

It’s still early days. Something better will come along and replace it.

People were wrong when they said

Bitcoin will bring reliable self-banking to the unbanked in third world countries.

Smart people understand that

Bitcoin challenges central banking and undermines the ability of governments to keep financial tabs on their citizens.

In order to fight terrorism, the government tracks everything you do online.

Personally, I’m tired of living in a world where

Hackers, drug dealers and terrorists can use Bitcoin to get away with their crimes.

It’s actually just a myth that

Bitcoin is good for the world.

That’s dead wrong.

You aren’t smart enough to use Bitcoin; it will never be adopted by the masses.

Economists like Paul Krugman keep saying

Bitcoin is evil.

I don’t believe that

Bitcoin can make the world a better place by empowering people.

All you can do with Bitcoin is buy drugs. And maybe a hitman.

It just isn’t true that

Bitcoin can be used for good as well as bad.

It is true that Bitcoin is riddled with scams and crooks. Mt. Gox blew up, Ross Ulbricht went down. Hardly a day goes by without somebody getting hacked or handcuffed. We all know

Bitcoin was born in sin.

Charlie Stross wants Bitcoin to die in a fire. He says

Bitcoin is evil.

I’m tired of hearing that

Bitcoin is actually close to mass adoption.

The price of Bitcoin today is nearing an all-time high, but the Economist Magazine says it’s just a bubble — Like tulip mania. The smart money says

The experiment is over — Bitcoin has failed.

But wait isn’t this all backwards?! Read the article in reverse: Only fools believe that...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

🤯

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Invest in GÜNE coin

1) Blockchain 4.1 Technology
2) Evolutionary Tokenomics
3) Quantum entanglement security base layer
4) Atomic q-bit interchange protocol
5) Game-theory optimal reactive calibration AI

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finally, a coin for goons

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-09/bunkers-for-the-wealthy-are-said-to-hoard-10-billion-of-bitcoin

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-bitcoin-investment/

Bitcoin Towers Above Its Peers
Compared to stocks or bonds, trading activity and market capitalization among cryptocurrencies are very concentrated within a small group of players. While Bitcoin has become less of an outlier in recent months amid the rise of so-called alt-coins like EOS and Litecoin, the original still towers above its peers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Towers above its peers in electricity usage lol

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I've been thinking recently

Bitcoin (or an equivalent, a more flexible, faster and efficient one), with its value as an actual currency, would probably be a pretty good solution for a brand new nation state that starts printing money.

Make it so only the central bank can "mine" and make it easier to do so, getting rid of the guessing game and applying only processing power for transactions, and you have a currency where you can attribute a number to someone and keep an absolute history of their transactions. Maybe make each person's history private and tied to biometry, but judicial procedures open their history.

It'd be pretty nice for stuff like laundering and tax evasion

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i still don't think it makes sense

Khorne
May 1, 2002

orange sky posted:

Bitcoin (or an equivalent, a more flexible, faster and efficient one), with its value as an actual currency, would probably be a pretty good solution for a brand new nation state that starts printing money.

Make it so only the central bank can "mine" and make it easier to do so, getting rid of the guessing game and applying only processing power for transactions, and you have a currency where you can attribute a number to someone and keep an absolute history of their transactions. Maybe make each person's history private and tied to biometry, but judicial procedures open their history.

Or you could just not use a blockchain and like loving magic have a way better centralized digital currency system.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah sure but I guess integrity is p hard to ensure, and this system has that

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

orange sky posted:

this offers zero advantage over traditional fiat currency while possessing an amazing large amount of disadvantages (e.g. having to mine your own loving currency)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nation-states love uncontrollable currencies, what kind of loser would like having predictable macro-economics.