Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

I got lucky and my trash-find electric power washer, which has basically the same wand system, possibly exactly the same (mine's not Karcher-branded - it's the cheaper house brand from Lowes or HD, I think - but it wouldn't surprise me if they made it,) came with the adjustable wand. It's not as good as the actual tips, but it goes from needle to a fairly wide fan with a twist.
You've hit on the problem with these cheapie power washers - they don't use any standard parts like the bigger boys.

Mine came with an adjustable wand too, which doesn't adjust and is permanently stuck on a wide and rather weak spray.

As for my repair, I've done almost all of my backyard's concrete so far, and it's holding up just fine. Definitely need to take it apart again and use epoxy for final assembly though, it's a little leaky around the threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm thinking of going back to a 2 seater this year and maybe having a baby by next year, bad plan? It seems like they really want kids to be in the backseat until the age of two. I'd have my wife's car too so most of the time I'd have a back seat, but I can see something happening and occasionally needing to use my 2 seater.

On the one hand, just make sure it has an airbag defeat system. An airbag going off is instant death to a baby.

On the other hand, everything I read said no kids in the front until they're at least 4'9" or over 90 lbs which is when they can come out of a booster. This is usually around age 8 to 10. Ironically my daughter didn't hit 4'9 until she was like 13 and even now at almost 16 still doesn't weigh 90 lb. She was in a booster well into junior high, which sucked for her.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

For $12, I'll take a chance it won't fit on mine. Thanks!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

Okay.

I was given this electric pressure washer because the nozzles are trashed. A new one is around $230 (CAD), keep this in mind when suggesting I buy a whole new hose and wand since I'm already like $80 into this just for nozzles.

The business end comes in two pieces, the trigger and hose are one of these two. Note that it is not easily removed from the hose, replacing the hose means I would have to replace this, I'm trying to save some money by not replacing this part since it works just fine.

The second half of the equation is made up by three different attachments that slot in using this style of fitting as opposed to newer machines that use standard screw fittings. A new trigger valve would mean buying at least one of these to go with it since while adapters exist, it's the nozzles that are hosed not the valves or pump unit. I cannot easily find replacements for this style or the current style, excepting a kit sold at Princess Auto for about $100 that seems to be cheese grade quality. I could source the newer style parts online, but once again, we're talking about a $230 pressure washer, it's not worth it to buy a bunch of parts. At least with the new nozzles I can use them on other washers.

Instead, I cut the nozzle off one of the two sprayer lances.

I want to put a 1/4" quick coupler on it so I can use the standard nozzles I got for it.

My problem is getting the lance threaded for the coupler locally.

I see a broken plastic pump housing in your future.

Source: my wife snagged a Karcher electric pressure washer that had been used half a dozen times when her grandmother passed and we got maybe 4 months use out of it before the pump housing cracked.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

How's your diet? Do you drink copious amounts of booze every week?

How about your mental health? Are you depressed about anything?

Diet is good. Very little sugar and processed crap. About the only sugar I have is a bit in my coffee in the morning. Very rarely eat out/fast food. Pretty much just a paleo diet type eater. Lots of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, fish. No pastas, breads, etc. Booze? Not so much. Couple beers / drinks on weekends, but rarely during the week. Stick to light beers, bourbon, bloody mary, or screwdrivers. I run, bike, or workout regularly. I don't have a set exercise plan, other than get 30 plus minutes of good exercise a day.

As far as mental health / depression / stress? No more than anyone else, I guess. Generally a pretty happy guy. I've got the same stressors as anyone else, more or less.

It's not really a new thing (the thinning). It's been every so slowly thinning over the last 10 years. I'm 46, so I suppose it's time. I have very little grey, and I'm not a hairy person to begin with. Basically thin, blonde (wtf?) hairs on my arms, not much hair on my legs. Never have had much. The hair on my head is almost black. My beard is a weird mix of blonde, red, dark brown, and grey. I can grow a decent beard, oddly enough. It's just every now and then I check out the back of my head to see what it's up to and bitch about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've been losing hair since my mid 20s. I don't really understand why people get worked up about it, like going grey, it's just a normal thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

Diet is good. Very little sugar and processed crap. About the only sugar I have is a bit in my coffee in the morning. Very rarely eat out/fast food. Pretty much just a paleo diet type eater. Lots of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, fish. No pastas, breads, etc. Booze? Not so much. Couple beers / drinks on weekends, but rarely during the week. Stick to light beers, bourbon, bloody mary, or screwdrivers. I run, bike, or workout regularly. I don't have a set exercise plan, other than get 30 plus minutes of good exercise a day.

As far as mental health / depression / stress? No more than anyone else, I guess. Generally a pretty happy guy. I've got the same stressors as anyone else, more or less.

It's not really a new thing (the thinning). It's been every so slowly thinning over the last 10 years. I'm 46, so I suppose it's time. I have very little grey, and I'm not a hairy person to begin with. Basically thin, blonde (wtf?) hairs on my arms, not much hair on my legs. Never have had much. The hair on my head is almost black. My beard is a weird mix of blonde, red, dark brown, and grey. I can grow a decent beard, oddly enough. It's just every now and then I check out the back of my head to see what it's up to and bitch about it.

I ask because 12 years ago I started losing my hair from the crown like, super bad. I developed a bald spot the size of a drink coaster and began using rogaine. It worked for a time and then I went through a really bad breakup. At the end of the tunnel I realized I was in the middle of a massive bout of depression and I was living off what I ate and drank at the bar I worked at. As soon as I got past that I stopped using the products and whoa, my hair didn't fall out. My doctor later told me that bad diet and excessive daily drinking can lead to hair loss.

But sounds like your situation is different than mine was, unless you can't deal with the idea of hair loss I would say don't mess with hair restoration products. My scalp would burn randomly and it definitely messed with my body chemistry.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

My Home Depot took away their threader two year ago, citing that only a licensed pipe fitter can cut threads on iron pipe meant for gas lines and that they were getting sick of people building furniture out of iron pipe

Lol wat

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Stopped fighting the loss of hair about 8 years ago. I've been rocking a buzz cut ever since, and don't regret it a bit.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
If Auntie Mabel's husband was bald, there's sod all you can do about anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hey out of left field, but is your son into Transformers at all?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

For $12, I'll take a chance it won't fit on mine. Thanks!

You still have to buy the standard 1/4" nozzles to go with that. The lobes on it are a different shape from mine and the coupling has a different profile as well.

Geoj posted:

I see a broken plastic pump housing in your future.

Source: my wife snagged a Karcher electric pressure washer that had been used half a dozen times when her grandmother passed and we got maybe 4 months use out of it before the pump housing cracked.

This one's a few years old and has seen a lot of use. The only problem with it was the nozzles being hosed. It's kinda wimpy, but at least now I have a better set of nozzles that I can keep when it dies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Hey out of left field, but is your son into Transformers at all?

I don't know if he's ever really been introduced to them, I'm not much of a fan, and he's never seen the movies but he doesn't really watch movies much at all anyway.

He loves cars though, so I'm sure he'd dig the autobots. All his toys these days are pretty much car related lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't know if he's ever really been introduced to them, I'm not much of a fan, and he's never seen the movies but he doesn't really watch movies much at all anyway.

He loves cars though, so I'm sure he'd dig the autobots. All his toys these days are pretty much car related lol.

Well this is totally nuts but I thought of you when I saw this. There's this whole industry of 3rd party, unlicensed Transformers and this company is releasing an updated version of a 1985 toy. And it turns into something you'd totally appreciate.

The bummer is, it's $80.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha that's awesome, nice find. Yeah a bit too expensive for me tho, if we were hardcore fans maybe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The fact that it comes with the bike is excellent. The Japanese original had the bike back in '85 but they dropped it for the US release. On the plus side, this stuff does tend to drop in price pretty dramatically so it may be half price in a year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is the scooter actually part of the transformation tho? Like does it turn into a cannon or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is the scooter actually part of the transformation tho? Like does it turn into a cannon or something?

It's not clear yet but it'll probably be a gun or something. There's a gallery of renders here.
http://www.thechosenprime.com/XTransbotsSavant

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

angryrobots posted:

If you want to impress, tell her that you're a moderator on the SomethingAwful forums.

:smugdog:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Stuff like this is super pinterest DIY popular. I could see it getting pretty annoying fast if you've got even a few hipsters a week coming in with exacting plans and needing every little peice threaded.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That looks horrible. Besides, wouldn't it be cost effective to just buy a loving pipe threader if you're going to build a bunch of furniture?

Never mind, that makes too much sense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Other than the casters, I think that looks decent.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Home Depot doesn't charge for the first cut on a given piece, some token fee for each one after that. At least that's how it was when they still did cut and thread for pipe. I can totally see some hipster demanding that they cut a pile of 2' pipes to whatever length they needed instead of buying an 8' and having it cut into several pieces so they can save money without realizing that buying pipe in 2' lengths is more costly in the end.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

You still have to buy the standard 1/4" nozzles to go with that. The lobes on it are a different shape from mine and the coupling has a different profile as well.

I know it works with the HF and a bunch of other electric pressure washers with that style wand. Mostly it makes it easy to pop on a cheap foam cannon that uses the standard 1/4" quick connect.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

slidebite posted:

The minute you start rolling that thing around, something is going to fall and break.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh, I don't think it's practical. Any liquor cart is of dubious utility. I just don't think it looks that bad is all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tide posted:

The minute you start rolling that thing around, something is going to fall and break.

Just like the person drinkin from it :haw:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've looked at that picture closely for what might have been too long. Everything about that cart makes me angry.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They have bad taste in liquor, except the Makers Mark, that's for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tide posted:

They have bad taste in liquor, except the Makers Mark, that's for sure.

I used to be a snob in my heavy drinking days. Then I learned that the well poo poo gets you drunk just as good as the top shelf junk.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just had my first phantom poop in months. Not drinking for me has really paid off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I just had my first phantom poop in months. Not drinking for me has really paid off.

I....

your rear end is haunted?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where you poo poo so perfectly it slides past the bowl into the bend, and it's so clean when you wipe there's nothing. The phantom poop.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

I used to be a snob in my heavy drinking days. Then I learned that the well poo poo gets you drunk just as good as the top shelf junk.

I drink at home to enjoy the booze, especially the flavor

If I'm at a bar, anything goes

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I....

your rear end is haunted?

Holy poo poo.

My go to these days is Titos vodka, Buffalo Trace bourbon, Bulliet bourbon, or Woodford Reserve. Never really been into gin, scotch, tequila, or rum.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bulliet is best per dollar imo.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like Knob Creek, but I feel like I'm in the minority

I'm starting to go towards Irish Whiskey, going back to my roots

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Crown's not bad (and locally produced for me) but my preferred drink is a simple rum and coke. Black spiced rum and Mexican coke on the rocks is just perfect.

I tried some higher end rums and it turns out they're wasted on me, I prefer the taste of the cheap stuff I'm used to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

I drink at home to enjoy the booze, especially the flavor

If I'm at a bar, anything goes

I didn't drink to enjoy flavor, it was to blot out how much I hated myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slidebite posted:

You know that poo poo is never, ever getting dusted.

• Locked thread