Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Aragon show is apparently $99.50 + fees. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sleepwalkers posted:

if you're someone who has a disability that limits your ability to get around or stand/wait for long periods of time... sorry, I guess? Hope there are still some affordable (lol) or ADA or existant tickets for you later?
This applies to me and it's like thanks, Trent. You're really making this inconvenient on your fans unless they meet specific criteria. I'd be totally fine if I could buy a ticket online like every other loving concert and show up early the night of and get a good spot on the railing, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility here, so I'm probably gonna have to pass.

There isn't even GA at the theater they're playing here, only reserved seating, so there wouldn't be any railing spots, which wouldn't be terrible I guess except the only ticket level I could even conceivably afford would be way the gently caress up in the balcony and it wouldn't even be close to the same experience. Why would I want to pay a ton of money for that?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just looked up pricing on the website of the theater they're playing here:

And that's before fees!

:laffo: Yeah, it's looking more and more like I won't be going to this one. Sorry, Trent.

$175? That's The Perfect Drug live money.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Caseman posted:

They were in Orlando.

No one checked my ID at the Houston show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
This does not seem like a good solution to the whole "buying tickets for big shows is a loving nightmare" issue, and I really hope it doesn't catch on.

Sucks that in the UK he seems to only be playing 2 relatively small shows in London and I tried and failed to get tickets for both. Intimate shows are a cool thing for diehard fans if you play the UK a lot, but I'm pretty sure the last time NIN did the UK was 2014, and that was a full run of arenas.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

No Seattle show so w/e.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

nomapple posted:

This does not seem like a good solution to the whole "buying tickets for big shows is a loving nightmare" issue, and I really hope it doesn't catch on.

Sucks that in the UK he seems to only be playing 2 relatively small shows in London and I tried and failed to get tickets for both. Intimate shows are a cool thing for diehard fans if you play the UK a lot, but I'm pretty sure the last time NIN did the UK was 2014, and that was a full run of arenas.

If Trent is bothered by ticket scalping, then he could just sell tickets with names only. Wacken Open Air did it a few years ago and it worked out (although they've switched back since).

I don't see how making you show up in person solves anything, since ticket scalpers have the highest incentive to be there first

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think this us just a dumb gimmick to get attention and little more

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
NIN hasn’t come anywhere near me in over 10 years but it’s cool to see that even if I wanted to do a roadtrip to Chicago I’d be hosed too.

Also “poo poo mirror” immediately makes me think of “pussygrinder”

Pops Mgee fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 11, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I miss mid-00s Trent. He was cranking out material and the experiments weren't all half-baked like they are now.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I miss mid-00s Trent. He was cranking out material and the experiments weren't all half-baked like they are now.
I thought the eps were solid. I just would've rather had full albums had I known the wait between them. Looks like I got my wish now, although I can't really see how you can justify calling a 6 track release an album.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Leon Einstein posted:

I thought the eps were solid. I just would've rather had full albums had I known the wait between them. Looks like I got my wish now, although I can't really see how you can justify calling a 6 track release an album.

Sleep just did it, and it’s amazing. Lots of bands do it, but NIN doesn’t really do long songs. I’d love a NIN release with songs all 7-13 minutes long, but I don’t know if he has it in him or not.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Einstein posted:

I thought the eps were solid. I just would've rather had full albums had I known the wait between them.

This one's only about 3 months late and it's apparently a full-length instead of an EP, so I don't get that. This is a higher concentration of NIN than we've gotten in a while. 3 full albums in this amount of time would've been insane.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wasn't that thrilled with the 2 EPs for the most part and that's the only real NIN we've gotten in the past five years. We'll see what this release is like I guess.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You guys need to listen to more bands with full LPs that are like 6 songs long but long as hell

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh yeah, lining up at 6 in the morning on a Saturday to buy overpriced concert tickets sounds like a blast :roflolmao:

I mean, that's how we used to get tickets to shows. It was normal to plan on waking up rear end early to get in line for tickets. That's how I saw NIN the first three times iirc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

I mean, that's how we used to get tickets to shows. It was normal to plan on waking up rear end early to get in line for tickets. That's how I saw NIN the first three times iirc.

And was it a blast?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

a mysterious cloak posted:

I realize that but it's not 20 years ago anymore. Apparently Trent wants it to be, but I'm not about that when getting a ticket to just about any other concert online is a loving breeze for me.

Hell, I've gotten tickets online for NIN shows before and had no problems getting those.

Just don't use Ticketmaster. Send out special codes for email list subscribers only. Password protect access to buying tickets with something only fans would know. I don't know, but there's gotta be SOME way to prevent scalping that doesn't involve inconveniencing lots of people.

Trent's always on the cutting edge of technological poo poo. He (or his team) should know some kind of way around having your tickets mass-purchased by scalpers that doesn't remove technology from the equation entirely.

That said, even if there was no dumb physical presale thing, I probably still wouldn't go considering a bad seat would run me like $100 after fees and that's not at all how I want to experience a NIN show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do wonder if scalpers are just going to use old school tactics and hire homeless people to wait in line for them

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

glam rock hamhock posted:

I do wonder if scalpers are just going to use old school tactics and hire homeless people to wait in line for them
I already saw friends of mine on Facebook earlier asking people who weren't even planning to go to the show if they could pay them to stand in line/buy their ticket for them because they had to work and couldn't be there themselves.

At least that press release acknowledged that this system would probably suck, I guess.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Makes me laugh seeing american's complaining about expensive concert tickets, $70ish is CHEAP here

GG australia getting hosed on again.

I cannot wait to hear 01. poo poo MIRROR

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bang3r posted:

Makes me laugh seeing american's complaining about expensive concert tickets, $70ish is CHEAP here

GG australia getting hosed on again.

I cannot wait to hear 01. poo poo MIRROR

Yeah, I think tix to the last tour (coheadline with QOTSA) was around about 130ish? Which is still stupidly cheap considering a standalone show by either of those bands is gonna usually cost $100 minimum.

I also remember previously buying tix through NIN.com and just needing ID at the doors - not sure why it isn't "hey, 50% of tickets are available in person only, and 50% are available online through portals we totally control, good luck" but as someone who has slept overnight for festival tickets and other shows in the past, it's not the end of the world. If you've seen NIN five times already, maybe reconcile the fact that the ticket you miss out on will go to some 18 year old kid who's got the spare time to camp out and has never seen them before and is gonna have a rad time :shobon:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You loving realize that most of the big venues have deals with live nation right like that’s why ticket sales are one of the most hosed things in the country. They own Ticketmaster AND stubhub. Personally I think it’s admirable that they chose these venues that allow them to do this since it’s almost self suicide in the age of the internet.

With the prices of the show being what they are it’s gonna be the people that want to go the most go, and evens the playing field in a way people have a chance to fight scalpers getting all the best seats/GA tickets immediately.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No, it's going to be the people that have the money and time to spare. Saying people that can't afford this financially or time wise "just don't want it enough" is the dumbest loving bullshit. It's a loving concert. People shouldn't have to make sacrifices to prove that they are worthy to see a band play music. The sacrifices in question should not disproportionately affect those that are less fortunate.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean at the prices they're demanding you're still getting the tickets at scalped prices, they just took out the middleman here

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
all this discussion is basically as anti-rock show as that guy in the thread who got annoyed at people standing up in the stadium seating during the last tour

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

all this discussion is basically as anti-rock show as that guy in the thread who got annoyed at people standing up in the stadium seating during the last tour

It isn't "rock show" to be happy about the fact tickets will go to scalpers.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

lol 'pls buy vinyl' :qq:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Molestationary Store posted:

lol 'pls buy vinyl' :qq:

That's another annoying poo poo. I buy vinyls, because I think they're nice to look at, and it's a little ritual to play one. It isn't a magical loving thing that only creates wonderful sounds.
Trent sometimes comes off as an insufferable hipster audiophile who will soon by singing the praises of wax cilinders.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
You know you'll be able to buy it digitally on release, right? I'm not sure why them selling in on vinyl as well is so bothersome to you.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

You know you'll be able to buy it digitally on release, right? I'm not sure why them selling in on vinyl as well is so bothersome to you.

It isn't. It's the whole woo woo that Trent is doing about physical media vs digital.
Once again, I like vinyls, it's the preaching audiophile crap that gets old.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Eh, if it's "anti-rock show" to feel bad that people with disabilities basically can't participate, then that's fine by me.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Eh, if it's "anti-rock show" to feel bad that people with disabilities basically can't participate, then that's fine by me.

It mostly surprises me because America is loving huge. You can cross some European countries in the time it might take you to cover only part of a state. Seems like a dick move to do this.

Also, electronic ticketing available on several parts of the country predates the internet, so Trent isn't even going back to 89, he's returning to the late 50s.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Non Serviam posted:

It isn't. It's the whole woo woo that Trent is doing about physical media vs digital.
Once again, I like vinyls, it's the preaching audiophile crap that gets old.

As a trained audio engineer professional, I completely agree with this.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

*preaches analog superiority, sends all his inputs to FOH using DANTE*

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

And was it a blast?

It wasn't a laugh riot, but it was hanging out with friends, talking to people in line who'd maybe never seen that particular band (or has seen a show we hadn't that was awesome). Trying to guess who was spending big money for front row seats, or listening to people who'd bought tickets as they walked by to see if they mentioned anything like such and such seats were sold out, etc.

It was just a lot more social. Of course, we didn't have any other choice, but we still made the best of it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I really wish thread titles could be long enough for "NINE INCH NAILS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER, LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND GOOD TIMES.**"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

And I was the person that got yelled at for not sitting down yet I guess the reason I probably can't make this show is I don't want it enough.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

No, it's going to be the people that have the money and time to spare. Saying people that can't afford this financially or time wise "just don't want it enough" is the dumbest loving bullshit. It's a loving concert. People shouldn't have to make sacrifices to prove that they are worthy to see a band play music. The sacrifices in question should not disproportionately affect those that are less fortunate.

I'm not sure if I'm telling you something you don't already know but unfettered capitalism got hold of the concert ticket market years ago. They will charge as much as they possibly can and if you can't afford it, gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Barry posted:

I'm not sure if I'm telling you something you don't already know but unfettered capitalism got hold of the concert ticket market years ago. They will charge as much as they possibly can and if you can't afford it, gently caress you.

yeah no poo poo, but i think the point here is that this specific move being made by NIN makes the situation worse (while coming with a bunch of bullshit about making it better). for a guy that has so often framed himself as fighting "the industry" in various ways it just rings really hollow. i mean yeah, obviously we live in a capitalist society and that governs how music and ticket sales work, but some artists try to work around that and make things more accessible for their fans to varying degrees. this is kind of the opposite