Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Holy poo poo it feels like Compendium Ranked murdered the gently caress out of normal Ranked. Hope you like waiting 15-20 min for a game that's worse than what you get in LPQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Ive been carrying games with warlock recently. Brown boots, clarities, midas first. Then aghs refresher whatever. His +60% xp talent is bonkers.

His golems do insaaaannee damage. A smidge of micromanagement to send them around pushing lanes / creep camps after engagements make you Very Farmed.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

DNK posted:

Ive been carrying games with warlock recently. Brown boots, clarities, midas first. Then aghs refresher whatever. His +60% xp talent is bonkers.

His golems do insaaaannee damage. A smidge of micromanagement to send them around pushing lanes / creep camps after engagements make you Very Farmed.

60% lmao. That's absurd. I got used to doing this when he had a 20% talent and it was still pretty effective. Is upheaval any value early game?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Upheaval totally depends on enemy comp. It is an amazing skill in the right situations, though. I’ve gone 0/2/4/1 before against like Sven / Shadowshaman / Viper.

The AOE shadow word is also a very good talent if you’re not being picked off constantly. It allows you to push waves really hard AND be a pretty big source of team healing. I still think the default is the on-death golem (it’s a huge AOE stun and those golems are NUTS!), but if you’re not dying the AOE is good.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just had a very confusing game looking for bounty runes every two minutes before I noticed the patch

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Did they finally kill runes?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
do they actually desire 75 minute games or do they just keep patching to make the game slower as some kind of long form troll

i love that even turbo games regularly go 40-50 minutes

nothing like telling someone new "actually we have to sit here and get our poo poo pushed in for 40 more minutes because 'you can always come back in dota'"

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Do bounty runes speed up game finish really?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

flashman posted:

Do bounty runes speed up game finish really?

may 10th

* Melee Creeps base gold bounty reduced by 2
* Range Creeps base gold bounty reduced by 1
* Range Creeps gold bounty increase per upgrade changed from 1 to 3 (With these changes, the total gold difference on the map at 40 minutes is 2052 less gold)
* Melee Barracks team bounty reduced from 225 to 175
* Ground Courier bounty reduced from 175 to 125 (Flying Courier is still 175)
* Tower denies now remove all gold instead of just half (previously it gave 50/60/70/80 for tier 1/2/3/4 denies)

april 12th

* Aegis now has an alt tooltip that explains how to pronounce the item

* Tier 1 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 120 to 100
* Tier 2 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 200 to 120
* Tier 3 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 200 to 140
* Tier 4 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 200 to 160
* Range barracks team bounty reduced from 150 to 100
* Filler buildings gold bounty from 125 to 75

* Ranged creep average gold bounty reduced from 57 to 54

* Glyph duration increased from 5 to 6
* Melee Barracks HP increased from 1500 to 1800

* Shrines HP increased from 1500 to 1750
* Shrines now have 5 HP regen

just seems like every patch has a couple of these notes in it . who's sitting around in the dota offices in 2018 saying "you know what we need, slight adjustments to ensure the game goes longer", it feels like they are aiming for like an average 60 minute match and if that average dips for any reason they will adjust the game to get it back to there. i dont know, i dont have any other reasons i can come up with for why this keeps happening

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 10, 2018

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you can replace your regular wangsbig mousepad with a wangsbig was right as hell about dota for years mousepad available soon at online retailers near you

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the only right thing youve said that i can recall is 'dota is easy'

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

When it was easy to get gold people complained and now that its harder to get gold people are still complaining.

I haven't actually played dota in ages so i don't know who's right anymore.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

self unaware posted:

i love that even turbo games regularly go 40-50 minutes

What MMR is this lmao. Mine always go 10 to 20 and I've been playing them a lot due to caverns working with turbo

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

turboraton posted:

What MMR is this lmao. Mine always go 10 to 20 and I've been playing them a lot due to caverns working with turbo

i dont play ranked so i have no idea but im pretty bad. im exaggerating (prolly average game time closer to 20 min) and only really play turbo, i just forgot how long these loving games take

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

self unaware posted:

may 10th

* Melee Creeps base gold bounty reduced by 2
* Range Creeps base gold bounty reduced by 1
* Range Creeps gold bounty increase per upgrade changed from 1 to 3 (With these changes, the total gold difference on the map at 40 minutes is 2052 less gold)
* Melee Barracks team bounty reduced from 225 to 175
* Ground Courier bounty reduced from 175 to 125 (Flying Courier is still 175)
* Tower denies now remove all gold instead of just half (previously it gave 50/60/70/80 for tier 1/2/3/4 denies)

april 12th

* Aegis now has an alt tooltip that explains how to pronounce the item

* Tier 1 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 120 to 100
* Tier 2 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 200 to 120
* Tier 3 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 200 to 140
* Tier 4 Tower Team Bounty reduced from 200 to 160
* Range barracks team bounty reduced from 150 to 100
* Filler buildings gold bounty from 125 to 75

* Ranged creep average gold bounty reduced from 57 to 54

* Glyph duration increased from 5 to 6
* Melee Barracks HP increased from 1500 to 1800

* Shrines HP increased from 1500 to 1750
* Shrines now have 5 HP regen

just seems like every patch has a couple of these notes in it . who's sitting around in the dota offices in 2018 saying "you know what we need, slight adjustments to ensure the game goes longer", it feels like they are aiming for like an average 60 minute match and if that average dips for any reason they will adjust the game to get it back to there. i dont know, i dont have any other reasons i can come up with for why this keeps happening

one of the biggest issues they had was making the game so snowbally that comebacks only came from the attacking team's mistake, rather than the defending team's disciplined play. reducing the gains from towers and things gives smaller advantages to teams who capitalized on early game mistakes and, generally speaking, allows the actually better team win more often than before. I've had lots of issues with how they've patched the game, but this is finally something in the right direction. Problem was, its 2 years too late. It needed to have came along when hero kill comeback gold became a thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JollyPubJerk posted:

one of the biggest issues they had was making the game so snowbally that comebacks only came from the attacking team's mistake, rather than the defending team's disciplined play. reducing the gains from towers and things gives smaller advantages to teams who capitalized on early game mistakes and, generally speaking, allows the actually better team win more often than before.
yeah it owns that putting effort in during the laning stage is mostly just a pointless waste of mental energy now. that sounds like the play to encourage (??)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Idk if it's just me but it seems like early kills don't mean so much now. I can roamin gankin kill the gently caress outa some dude and it don't matter. Maybe that's why trilanes in the safe are so.common now kuz the only thing that matters is getting cs on ur big man.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

Idk if it's just me but it seems like early kills don't mean so much now. I can roamin gankin kill the gently caress outa some dude and it don't matter. Maybe that's why trilanes in the safe are so.common now kuz the only thing that matters is getting cs on ur big man.
right which is why I think I've lost hundreds of MMR this last 2 versions. It feels like roamers have 0 positive impact on how the game plays out for a team atm which is Fail if you like playing them.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jBrereton posted:

yeah it owns that putting effort in during the laning stage is mostly just a pointless waste of mental energy now. that sounds like the play to encourage (??)

eh, I see it as getting back to its roots where advantages were tiny between teams and you had to sustain better play over the course of a long period of time to get to a snowbally state. Doesn't mean keeping enemy carry down is fruitless- it's that you have to sustain the pressure on him-- you don't just get a jackpot for killing him once and then have all your items completed and everyone is 5 man pushing lanes against no contest for 5 minutes until they base push you.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You should lose your free TP if you die, I think.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hail Satan, my gf I'd going to a bachelorette. I am alone all weekend starting Friday and between soccer, copious amounts of alcohol and casual drug use I'm gunna play some DOTA. I haven't played since like....TI3? I have one of the original mystic weapons they gave out at ti2 actually. I like to play Axe. Should I still be an aggressive poo poo and rush blink dagger

Could someone brief me irt wtf is up wth all these changes and game modes and bullshit?

E: seems like the landing stage is less important and it'd harder to snowball. As an Axe player who seeks to dominate early this makes me sad. I have about 20 mins to ball hard enough to hand the end game to my team but seems like heroes am that peak early are gunna have a harder time turning that into a finish

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 21, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dota friends, I present the 90k gold lead.

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/3904474494

Of course the game would've been over way earlier if we had just grouped up and done poo poo but I had fun global concuss spamming w/ bounty hunter + treant aghs vision.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
there is no suffering worse than playing position 5s in low mmr.
even if im playing out of my mind, im still dependent on my 4 lovely cores to be somewhat competent. ive been mad about a game for 12 hours. :(

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine playing position 5 in turbo mode on the SEA server. That's the best kind of hell.

I live in it daily.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Thom and the Heads posted:

there is no suffering worse than playing position 5s in low mmr.
even if im playing out of my mind, im still dependent on my 4 lovely cores to be somewhat competent. ive been mad about a game for 12 hours. :(

Depends what support you're playing. I've been on a hot streak with wyvern lately and getting a good winter's curse off is satisfying as hell all game long. Plus if your team sucks and the enemy tries to take towers early, she's still annoying as hell to push into.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Angrymantium posted:

Depends what support you're playing. I've been on a hot streak with wyvern lately and getting a good winter's curse off is satisfying as hell all game long. Plus if your team sucks and the enemy tries to take towers early, she's still annoying as hell to push into.

i play a lot of lich. i was nailing 5 man chain frosts all game but a few bkbs neuters the gently caress out of me so i just became a frost armor dispenser at some point. ive played a little bit of wyvern - think ill give her a whirl tonight.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Shadow Shaman and Lion are fun supports that can be relevant all game. If you off lane one of them and get six quick enough you can tp to the opponents safe lane for a free kill on their level 4ish carry

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Chain disabling a carry as Lion before they can activate BKB is still the best feeling. God bless instant hex

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shaman is too much fun. Please vote for him to get an arcana. Thanks and godbless.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Thom and the Heads posted:

i play a lot of lich. i was nailing 5 man chain frosts all game but a few bkbs neuters the gently caress out of me so i just became a frost armor dispenser at some point. ive played a little bit of wyvern - think ill give her a whirl tonight.

I don't actually play this game anymore but I'm reading his talents and I'm really not sure how +120 damage and 180 gpm hero falls off. Especially if you're talking about a level where you can't rely on carries to farm much at all (ideally you are securing this for them but yeah it's dota) I feel like that's enough value that you should be able to keep up in the game longer than you're implying

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Death Bot posted:

I don't actually play this game anymore but I'm reading his talents and I'm really not sure how +120 damage and 180 gpm hero falls off. Especially if you're talking about a level where you can't rely on carries to farm much at all (ideally you are securing this for them but yeah it's dota) I feel like that's enough value that you should be able to keep up in the game longer than you're implying

Carry lich is hilarious but you have to decide you are doing it right at the start. Going straight for attack speed and suddenly getting a mid-game 120 damage boost makes you incredibly dangerous to people not expecting it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IIRC the L25 talent goes through BKB/immunities too, good poo poo.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

i had 4 cores on my team. only my AM was farmed - coincidentally i supported him top and we wrecked our lane. the other 3 cores were p useless. i went for cast range over GPM and the game ended before i got 25. somehow i still managed to do more hero damage than a tinker and a bloodseeker. our bristle only did 2k more

i couldve just farmed more i guess but my team was getting shredded by a slark so it felt like i spent the last 15 minutes of the game just warding and dewarding while trying to stop my team from getting picked off. it didnt work.

here's the game if you wanna look at it
https://www.opendota.com/matches/3904212565

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just smacking some damage on an int support who's usually built to fire off a few spells before dying doesn't necessarily make them a good right clicker. Although the Techies +251 damage talent is pretty funny because his attack range is so long.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It’s incredibly rare to actually get multiple seconds of autoattacking in a teamfight. The heroes that CAN autoattack consistently are usually incredibly mobile (morphling, void, slark, clinkz) or incredibly durable (medusa, morph). Even then, clicking heroes need BKBs.

Lich is neither durable nor mobile. You need to itemize for mobility, range, and durability in order to make him capable. That’s pretty tough to do, and if you do it all correctly you’re basically a worse sniper (owned hard by the same counter heroes) with a better teamfight ultimate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd say that the difference is that Lich has a dramatically better earlygame, but that barely matters outside of tourney play now (especially with tower and creep gold getting chipped at), rip semicarries

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Semi-carries, I've missed that term

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Emerald Warden the Semi-Carry

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe