Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Things Never Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
ICAC people hate being called I-cack

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
All Cops Are Incel

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Then the Guardian style guide is wrong, and they have a complete muppet setting the rules

LASER

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
'bus, 'phone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for April:

Can't weed, committing Islam!

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also reminder that the Guardian style guide insists that ICAC is written Icac.

I had to see this for myself. loving scrubs.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

fine aged post

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Can't weed, committing Islam!

Centrelink? Can't weed. Committing fraud!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Nah that's more bureaucratic indifference.

Think Brazil more than 1984.

If a system operates as viciously punitive to the poor for no reason, the personal intention or lack there of is immeterial and it should be stopped

Also, with indigenous Australians comprising the world's most imprisoned population, it doesn't really matter whether or not the given functionaries responsible for these conditions are wilfully or unwilfully attacking them because they're racist or not, they simply are attacking them, and should be stopped

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 10, 2018

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for April:

"Mr Day debt fraud" is a pretty appropriate phrase to stick in South Australia

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Peccadillo posted:

If a system operates as viciously punitive to the poor for no reason, the personal intention or lack there of is immeterial and it should be stopped

Also, with indigenous Australians comprising the world's most imprisoned population, it doesn't really matter whether or not the given functionaries responsible for these conditions are wilfully or unwilfully attacking them because they're racist or not, they simply are attacking them, and should be stopped

I'm sorry sir, that's a 81-B complaint form on red paper. You want a 117-F complaint form on yellow paper. You can get those from the Ministry of Information across town. They're open every second Tuesday.

They'll also tell you that they'll need a certified referral slip to give you the 117-F form so we'll be seeing you in a fortnight to start this over.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Bins Bad

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Also what would have happened if someone wasn't there to film it?

You'd have never heard about it. They've probably being doing it for years but now camera phones are everywhere. They'll make it illegal to film cops with them soon enough.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Tasmania: Worst Greens, best wordcloud :thunk:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Not sure if this should be surprising or not but MrsMachineGun watched ten news last night - no mention of coppers running people over.

Open IE this morning (GPO means we can't change the homepage) and the MSN news scroller didn't have any mention of it either :thunk:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not sure if this should be surprising or not but MrsMachineGun watched ten news last night - no mention of coppers running people over.

Open IE this morning (GPO means we can't change the homepage) and the MSN news scroller didn't have any mention of it either :thunk:

It's on the Guardian at least. Unsurprising that most news orgs would ignore it though

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That 100 year old scientist David Goodall who got fired from Sydney University because he kept trying to kill himself threw up his hands and said "fine, I'll just buy a suicide in Switzerland" and is now dead

Good for him I s'pose

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 11, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-10/david-goodall-ends-life-in-a-powerful-statement-on-euthanasia/9742528

David Goodall, who is 104 years old, is travelling to Switzerland for euthanasia due to age rather than illness.

What's everyone's view on this?

I have a grandmother whose health has gone downhill the past 18 months, going from someone who was relatively mobile and able to do most things by herself to being petrified about going out of her room or to the toilet without assistance from a nurse or relative and spends most of her time in a bed or chair. She has mentioned a number of times the past few months that she just wants it all to end and wants to meet up with her parents and husband in the afterlife. Should Victoria's euthanasia laws be adjusted to allow people who are of sound mind, which she still is, to just go "well, I am 90+ years old, but it's time to clock out" rather than just wasting away?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mandatory euthanasia at 50 years of age.

Failing that yes an old person should be able to throw their hands in the air and say gently caress this of their own volition.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I definitely think there should be an old age option for voluntary euthanasia. Once you get to a point when you can't do your favourite activities anymore or really do anything independently and there's objectively no real hope of improvement in quality of life, a peaceful death on your own terms should definitely be available.

there are the obvious issues where people could be pressured into it by impatient and/or callous family members but a bit of policy thought could probably account for that

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-10/david-goodall-ends-life-in-a-powerful-statement-on-euthanasia/9742528

David Goodall, who is 104 years old, is travelling to Switzerland for euthanasia due to age rather than illness.

What's everyone's view on this?

I have a grandmother whose health has gone downhill the past 18 months, going from someone who was relatively mobile and able to do most things by herself to being petrified about going out of her room or to the toilet without assistance from a nurse or relative and spends most of her time in a bed or chair. She has mentioned a number of times the past few months that she just wants it all to end and wants to meet up with her parents and husband in the afterlife. Should Victoria's euthanasia laws be adjusted to allow people who are of sound mind, which she still is, to just go "well, I am 90+ years old, but it's time to clock out" rather than just wasting away?

Just develop a drug habit ffs. Instead of flying to England to take boring drugs to die why not just take some ecstasy in the desert?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you’re sound of mind and not under coercion then I fully support your right to kill you are self

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Even the innocent are lost to this virtual lynch mob

Eric Schneiderman, the attorney-general of New York who resigned on Monday just hours after being accused of sexual misconduct, apparently suffers from Portnoy’s Complaint, which Philip Roth defined, on the first page of his novel by that name, as “a disorder in which strongly felt ­altruistic impulses are perpetually warring with extreme sexual longings, often of a perverse ­nature”.

Readers of that book — whose success in Australia was assured by attempts to ban it so ham-fisted that they brought the censorship of literary works to an end — will remember its hero, Alexander Portnoy, indulging his fantasies with the girlfriends he called the Pumpkin, the Pilgrim and the Monkey.

But when Portnoy wasn’t tied up (or, more likely, tying up), he was championing the poor and dispossessed as Assistant Commissioner of Human Opportunity for the City of New York.

Now Schneiderman, who hailed the #MeToo movement while launching fierce legal attacks on the Trump administration, has been “outed” in The New Yorker by a string of former companions who credit him with sexual preferences that would have made Portnoy blush.

Of course, Schneiderman’s is merely the latest scalp in an ever-mounting pile, joining that of Junot Diaz, the Pulitzer prize-winning Dominican-American author who met his doom last Friday at the Sydney Writers Festival. Diaz, his accusers say, is a serial offender whose misdeeds range from unwanted advances to yelling at (female) graduate students.

Whether one ought to feel a great deal of sympathy for Schneiderman or Diaz is debatable. But it is difficult not to be disturbed by the way they, and myriad others, have been thrown under the wheels of #MeToo’s Oblivion Express.

Schneiderman, for example, claims that the relationships The New Yorker details were entirely consensual and did not involve any inequality of bargaining power. Even were his claims correct, it would still be hard to reconcile his private behaviour with his vocal support for #MeToo, which included suing Harvey Weinstein.

But as hypocritical as Schneiderman may be, it is not illegal for consenting adults to engage in forms of sex one might regard as distasteful, if not positively immoral. Vice, in other words, is not crime — at least not yet. Moreover, that distinction, which separates us from theocratic regimes such as Iran’s, has long been a fundamental element in the Western political tradition.

As John Locke famously wrote in 1689: “Many things are sins, which no man ever said were to be punished by the magistrate. The reason is because they are not prejudicial to the rights of others, nor do they break the public peace.”

Every bit as disturbing as the confusion between immorality and illegality is the disappearance of any notion of proof and due process, with mere allegations being treated as compelling evidence. That is all the more important as history shows these kinds of allegations readily snowball. Once the initial steps are taken, all those nursing a grudge seize their chance, often anonymously: with revenge a dish best served cold, its simple appearance on the menu can provoke an outpouring of grievances that converts a single plate into a veritable smorgasbord.

And nowhere are the risks of vengeance overwhelming truth greater than when ex-lovers are involved, as the passage of time and the blurring of memories hardens resentments as frequently as it heals them.

None of that is meant to downplay the seriousness of the allegations or suggest they necessarily lack merit. On the contrary, that the right to bodily integrity is the first of all rights is as fundamental to the Western political tradition as the distinction between vice and crime.

But Kant, who more than any other thinker emphasised the foundational nature of that right, placed immediately next to it each person’s right to be “beyond reproach”: that is, to not have one’s good name — and hence one’s ability to stand as an equal in society — unfairly tarnished.

It is no accident that the word “diabolical” descends from the Greek word diaballo, which means to defame; and the fact the consequences of #MeToo’s denunciations have indeed been hellish only underscores the need to ensure allegations are properly tested. The court of public opinion has never been reliable in that respect. Manipulative language has been around as long as public debate, as has the fear of swimming against the tide.

But the virtual crowds swirling on the internet are as deadly a lynch mob as any previous form of mass hysteria. The unwillingness or inability to differentiate between genuine abusers, such as Weinstein, and cases that involve little more than boorishness then compounds the damage.

That many women are justifiably angry is obvious. And it is also obvious that social change, including women’s rapidly growing power in society, means harassment is no longer tolerable. However, that cannot justify a proliferation of executions based on scant evidence and summary judgments.

Nor can the problems be dismissed as simply the price of revolutions, which invariably veer to excess. The reality is that excess is why revolutions invariably fail, causing much needless suffering along the way; if failure is all those who support #MeToo can look forward to, they should abandon their revolution now, before it too devours its young.

As long ago as 450BC, Aristophanes deplored the ability of “sycophants” — a term that referred to gangs of slanderers who spent their time intimidating innocent citizens — to work Athenians into a rage against alleged miscreants.

Yet Aristophanes believed women might take fairness more seriously than men. When Athens’ women seized power in his play The Assemblywomen, they therefore moved to punish slander and dismiss unfounded allegations.

More than 2000 years later, a glance at #MeToo would have taught him better.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/op...7fe531bab5d20c7

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

I definitely think there should be an old age option for voluntary euthanasia. Once you get to a point when you can't do your favourite activities anymore or really do anything independently and there's objectively no real hope of improvement in quality of life, a peaceful death on your own terms should definitely be available.

there are the obvious issues where people could be pressured into it by impatient and/or callous family members but a bit of policy thought could probably account for that

Sam Simon talked about this before dying of cancer. His life was becoming more and more lovely but he said something along the lines of "I've got five favourite things and they're all ruined except for lying down watching tv. When that gets too hard I'll go" and he did. If you can't do a single thing that gives you some pleasure or respite it's fair to want to check out.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

quote:

But the virtual crowds swirling on the internet are as deadly a lynch mob as any previous form of mass hysteria

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The US media has just discovered that Scott Pruitt, the corrupt arsehole who heads the EPA, has been spending time with George Pell.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

Mr Morrison dubbed Mr Shorten "Unbelieva-Bill" and questioned the value of his promises.

Kill Bill attempt #4069392

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Wow.

I'd say "what the gently caress, Australian?", but it's The Australian.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The US media has just discovered that Scott Pruitt, the corrupt arsehole who heads the EPA, has been spending time with George Pell.

George Pell on the lolita express

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

Sam Simon talked about this before dying of cancer. His life was becoming more and more lovely but he said something along the lines of "I've got five favourite things and they're all ruined except for lying down watching tv. When that gets too hard I'll go" and he did. If you can't do a single thing that gives you some pleasure or respite it's fair to want to check out.

Sleeping is one of my favourite things so I'm set

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

Sleeping is one of my favourite things so I'm set

Yeah until you can't sleep for more than an hour or two due to being in hospital or pain. Poor buggers can't even enjoy the most basic human functions.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

JBP posted:

Yeah until you can't sleep for more than an hour or two due to being in hospital or pain. Poor buggers can't even enjoy the most basic human functions.

gently caress

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

You'd have never heard about it. They've probably being doing it for years but now camera phones are everywhere. They'll make it illegal to film cops with them soon enough.

Yeah sounds like they put out the "man collided with police vehicle" thing out after the first video went on facebook and stood down the officer only after the second video appeared

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Looks like Anne Aly might be in citizenship trouble as well, her seat is only on a 0.7% margin

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Looks like Anne Aly might be in citizenship trouble as well, her seat is only on a 0.7% margin

If she is getting looked at then at least three more libs should get looked into as well :
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-19/whos-next-in-the-dual-citizenship-mess/8819510

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
hmm yes I believe it was socrates who said “i like rape”, a truism lost on the #metoo hordes.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

What're the arguments against assisted suicide from the disability community? I can't remember

Remember when Peter Singer played ersatz doctor with that depressed guy and urged him to kill himself over the 'phone? What a fucker

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

froglet posted:

Oceans swallowing seaside towns, locals want the government to buy back their properties, government has no plan to do so.

https://amp.watoday.com.au/national...508-p4ze3z.html

Edit: this is what they get for angering Poseidon.

I feel as if the locals might have a legal footing to sue the government for it's lack of willingness to combat global warming. Their love of coal has directly impacted upon their property prices. Real estate investors versus mining companies, who will win!!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Peccadillo posted:

What're the arguments against assisted suicide from the disability community? I can't remember

I'm not well versed on it, but noted excellent person Liz Carr wrote a fairly nuanced article about this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/09/legalising-assisted-dying-dangerous-for-disabled-not-compassionate

• Locked thread