Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

internet celebrity posted:

I thought Oxenfree also fell completely flat at the end, much more so than NitW and LiS.

I thought I knew what was going to happen when I saw "continue timeline" after finishing the first playthrough. I was going to go back in time with full knowledge of the events that unfolded. I was going to enter the triangle and the spirit of Maggie Adler was going to help me free the submarine ghosts once and for all. All kinds of crazy radio and VHS poo poo would happen. The ghosts would make me watch my friends and brother die in horrible ways and it would be creepy and unsettling as gently caress. But I would pull through, free the ghosts somehow, and the curse of the island would be lifted. Everyone would survive and the plot would resolve nicely.

But after finishing the second time with only a few new pieces of dialogue, a sense of deja-vu, and some extra VHS tracking errors I was just disappointed. I even collected all the letters and anomalies hoping for a true ending.

There is actually a (sort of) good ending. I want to say it was something added later in a patch, though. But on a NG+ or new loop playthrough or whatever you want to call it, there is an option at one point to send out a radio message which will get to Alex at the start of the next loop before they leave for the island. There's a few options, but I think you have to pick the one that pretty specifically says not to go to the island, in which case next loop Alex will decide that they should just go get pizza instead. Of course this still leaves you with no chance to revive your dead brother and I guess Clarissa and Nona are screwed, but it's a horror game so a real happy ending was probably never in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the ideas people have as to how more stories could be written in the Arcadia Bay LIS universe are terrible and would result in uninteresting games that wouldn't sell. Here are a few non terrible ones, although I don't believe Dontnod will ever return to these original characters or location:

1: Max and Chloe ride out of of the devastated Arcadia Bay and get in new adventures. We're going to assume here that Chloe doesn't continue to die every day, since that would just make this new season a repeat of the previous one. Some new interesting story could be told using these two characters in a different location, and there are endless possibilities here. Max, of course, still has time travel powers.

2: Max continues on in her life with Chloe dead. The interesting story here is that she's still Max Caulfield the Time Lord, but she refuses to use her powers since the last time she did it brought a massive tornado in that almost destroyed the whole town, and she's clearly accepted the fact that she was not meant to use those powers. And then something happens which leads to her finding out why she got the powers in the first place, and what she was truly meant to use them for. Perhaps the universe lets her use time travel without wreaking havoc, as long as she uses it as intended.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Oxenfree had a weak script and some distractingly poor voice acting, particularly Alex's friend Ren.

Ren is loving obnoxious. Oxenfree would be a much better game if you could just throw him off the boat at the beginning

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Orange Sunshine posted:

We're going to assume here that Chloe doesn't continue to die every day, since that would just make this new season a repeat of the previous one.

I'm pretty sure the devs said in some interview (that I can't find any more) that canonically the universe's vendetta towards Chloe stops after the tornado. If you let it go through, that balances the cosmic scales, or placates the reaper, or pick your metaphor. I kind of wish they'd have put some hint of that in the game, even a brief bit of ending text or Max voiceover or something. Could have filled out that empty ending a little, and given you a flicker of hope for the future while driving through the death and destruction zone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

Ren is loving obnoxious. Oxenfree would be a much better game if you could just throw him off the boat at the beginning

For the life of me I don't understand how people can think Life is Strange's dialogue is "not how real teenagers speak" and hold Oxenfree up as a more natural example, with the most "I am obviously a voice actor pretending to be stoned" performance in the history of the medium.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm pretty sure the devs said in some interview (that I can't find any more) that canonically the universe's vendetta towards Chloe stops after the tornado. If you let it go through, that balances the cosmic scales, or placates the reaper, or pick your metaphor. I kind of wish they'd have put some hint of that in the game, even a brief bit of ending text or Max voiceover or something. Could have filled out that empty ending a little, and given you a flicker of hope for the future while driving through the death and destruction zone.

To be fair, aside from Rachel and a few brief moments of happiness Chloe's life kind of sucked even before the events of the first game. Her cat gets run over by a car, her dad gets killed in an accident, Max leaves for Seattle and her mom brings home David who kind of treats her like crap (all of this happens in the same year mind you). 2 years later, Max falls out of contact with her despite her earlier promise, Chloe gets expelled from school for trying to help Rachel, takes a job from Frank that winds up getting Drew or Mikey hurt, finds out a guy she knew since kindergarten is actually a psycho and almost gets herself killed trying to help rescue the mother of a girl she's known for less than a week. Finally, a few years later Rachel disappears without a trace. The universe already seemed to have some kind of personal grudge against this poor girl that only intensified after Max saved her in the bathroom.

Though I agree things (hopefully) got better after the ending. While everyone she knows and loves besides Max is (presumably) dead if you sacrifice the Bay and there's probably some lingering resentment/guilt there she also now has a chance to start her life over, now much wiser and stronger than before and doesn't have to hide her emotions anymore. If you chose to Sacrifice Chloe, she's free of her burdens and lives on as the blue butterfly, watching over Max much like William did for her years ago.

That's said, I'm very curious to see how the upcoming comic handles things (though based on the description it doesn't sound like it's going to be a very pleasant experience, mostly it's the "only dust will remain" line that kind of worries me). But then again, Life is Strange and human misery kind of go hand in hand with each other anyway so this isn't really anything new.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 11, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Her terrible life is a big part of why saving Chloe is the only ending I can ever go for. She's had so much poo poo dumped on her that her karmic scales are massively out of whack. If anyone deserves to have Max intervene and balance things out by saving her from a miserable death in a bathroom, it's Chloe. Plus in a way that ending is the only one that saves Max, as well. At least the Max we know. Hitting the reset button and doing nothing is almost certainly going to shatter the person Max became over the course of the week of adventure. No more newfound confident and strong Max. She'll learn that the only viable choice in life is to cower in hiding, even while your friend is bleeding out a few feet away. Too grim for me to even consider it. At least the save-Chloe ending has an element of accepting the consequences of your actions and moving forward with your life.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
As soon as Max visited Chloe in ep 3?4? where she was paralysed, I knew I had to put her down. I didn't hesitate at all. It's what any good friend would have done. Right?

edit: also, Bay.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

redreader posted:

As soon as Max visited Chloe in ep 3?4? where she was paralysed, I knew I had to put her down. I didn't hesitate at all. It's what any good friend would have done. Right?

Right. The only thing that makes that choice hard for me is thinking of Joyce and William coming in and finding her like that. That's pretty rough. But yeah, someone should absolutely have rights over their own body and second guessing her wishes there would be cruel and insulting. Doesn't stop that scene from being an icepick through the heart every time, though.

redreader posted:

edit: also, Bay.

Nah.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's pretty interesting to compare what people choose: leave/euthanize paralyzed Chloe, and bay/bae. The first choice is pretty much a practice round for the last. Do you respect Chloe's wishes even if you don't necessarily agree with her?

Personally, I went with what I thought Max would do at that given time. Leave/Bae.

I also chose not to tell at the end of Farewell. 'My' Max was just not a 'strong' person, and in the end it felt she was mostly running on a mix of shame and regret, channeled into full-blown Chloe obsession.

Edit: Although, the bae choice also has an element of 'screw you fate, do your worst' to it.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 12, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The critical difference between euthanizing Chloe via morphine or time travel is that the Chloe you condemn at the end of Episode 5 dies cold, alone and abandoned, having never understood her greater role in events or reunited with her best friend. I think there's no way Max allows that to happen given all the trauma they've experienced together.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

I didn't find the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending to be a downer ending at all.

If you pick this ending, the game is about (among other things) acceptance of one's limitations, and acceptance of death. When someone dies in real life, we often don't want to accept it. We can endlessly fantasize about how things could have gone differently, about what we could have done differently, if only we made a phone call at the right time or if only he didn't get in the car that day. We can try to live in fantasies of that person still being alive, we can offer prayers or bargains to God to please let them be back in our lives. But in the end, they're still dead, and the only peace we're ever going to get comes from acceptance of this.

Chloe was shot to death by Nathan in the bathroom, and none of Max's time travel powers could save her because there are no time travel powers, and when someone dies they just stay dead forever. The game pretends to give you super powers, to let you play God and mold the universe to your liking, only to show you why this would be a bad thing, and in the end leaves you in the same place that every person is in when someone they love dies.

The emotional tone of the Sacrifice Chloe ending is one of peace and serenity. Max has finally given up her impossible fight and is at peace, though of course she'll miss Chloe, of course she will be sad. And all of this was not for nothing - Max is a changed person as a result of the events of the game. She has grown up. She started a shy girl, uncertain of herself, and by the end, she's a strong young woman.

Life is Strange is an unusual game, it's an unusual story, with themes that we're not used to seeing in western storytelling. We think we're playing one kind of game, and eventually realize it's quite another. We're think we're the superhero valiantly battling the forces of evil, and eventually learn that there are no superheros and we have to just be a person.

Couple of pages back I know, but I really think you have it wrong. Or rather, you have the themes wrong, you just sort of slip on the finish line.

The game is absolutely about acceptance of limitations, and of death, but the Bay ending is the bad ending precisely because it is the ending where Max doesn't accept what is happening. Acceptance is acknowledging things that are beyond your control, and living with the consequences, not getting one more do over to go fix them. The bay ending isn't about Max accepting Chloe's death, it is just another variant on the William issue, where going back to 'fix' things, makes her life measurably worse.

It is important to remember that, despite having magic time rewind powers, Max's experience of time is still pretty much linear and determinative. Just as importantly, it is worth remembering that the first time Max uses her power isn't a choice, it is an instinct, like catching a falling glass. As a result, as far as Max is concerned, she was always going to save Chloe in the bathroom, and there was always going to be a storm. That is the 'original' timeline, even though it does involve time travel voodoo magic.

Now what happens every single time Max attempts to go back and 'fix' something bad that happened in her past? The situation with Chloe is just another William. It is a terrible thing that was always going to happen, that neither of them want to happen. And just like with William, Max has a choice. Accept things as they are, or try to change them. Because going back to stop herself from time travelling is just one more attempt to 'fix' consequences that she doesn't like.

Likewise, I can't really say I agree with your opinion on Max being serene. I did a bit of an effort post on the music, back after the end of episode 5, and there really isn't much of a question of which ending the developers thought was hopeful and optimistic, and which they thought was depressing as hell, if you go by the music choice. Bay ending gets Spanish Sahara, a song about a nightmarish, desolate wasteland, whose primary theme is that there is some trauma you cannot get over, trauma that multiplies and consumes you. Bae ending, by contrast, gets Obstacles, a song about maturing and persevering through troubling times. The Max that leaves the ruins with Chloe is hurt, but they drive off together into a literal sunset. The Max that attends the funeral has to listen to someone she loves bleed out on a bathroom floor, alone and unloved, and the only thing that makes her smile at the end is a butterfly that reminds her of Chloe. She is messed up for life, without a doubt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Caros posted:

Couple of pages back I know, but I really think you have it wrong. Or rather, you have the themes wrong, you just sort of slip on the finish line.

The game is absolutely about acceptance of limitations, and of death, but the Bay ending is the bad ending precisely because it is the ending where Max doesn't accept what is happening. Acceptance is acknowledging things that are beyond your control, and living with the consequences, not getting one more do over to go fix them. The bay ending isn't about Max accepting Chloe's death, it is just another variant on the William issue, where going back to 'fix' things, makes her life measurably worse.

It is important to remember that, despite having magic time rewind powers, Max's experience of time is still pretty much linear and determinative. Just as importantly, it is worth remembering that the first time Max uses her power isn't a choice, it is an instinct, like catching a falling glass. As a result, as far as Max is concerned, she was always going to save Chloe in the bathroom, and there was always going to be a storm. That is the 'original' timeline, even though it does involve time travel voodoo magic.

Now what happens every single time Max attempts to go back and 'fix' something bad that happened in her past? The situation with Chloe is just another William. It is a terrible thing that was always going to happen, that neither of them want to happen. And just like with William, Max has a choice. Accept things as they are, or try to change them. Because going back to stop herself from time travelling is just one more attempt to 'fix' consequences that she doesn't like.

Likewise, I can't really say I agree with your opinion on Max being serene. I did a bit of an effort post on the music, back after the end of episode 5, and there really isn't much of a question of which ending the developers thought was hopeful and optimistic, and which they thought was depressing as hell, if you go by the music choice. Bay ending gets Spanish Sahara, a song about a nightmarish, desolate wasteland, whose primary theme is that there is some trauma you cannot get over, trauma that multiplies and consumes you. Bae ending, by contrast, gets Obstacles, a song about maturing and persevering through troubling times. The Max that leaves the ruins with Chloe is hurt, but they drive off together into a literal sunset. The Max that attends the funeral has to listen to someone she loves bleed out on a bathroom floor, alone and unloved, and the only thing that makes her smile at the end is a butterfly that reminds her of Chloe. She is messed up for life, without a doubt.

I agree with all this but I also think the Bae ending isn't necessarily a happier choice when you think about what will become of Max and Chloe after the storm. From Max's point of view you have someone with a supernatural ability who has sacrificed absolutely everything to help her best friend live, who has seen her die countless times already, and would stop at nothing in service to this one goal. From Chloe's perspective she's seen everything about her life literally destroyed, all friends and family likely dead, your ex-girlfriend murdered and buried, and your best friend from childhood who has swooped in at the last possible minute to rescue you. How do you ever move on from that kind of trauma? How could you possibly want to spend more than a minute apart from each other, knowing how closely disaster seems to follow? The co-dependency complex here must be incredible.* I think it's so weird that the fan community loves creating all these cutesy slice-of-life scenes between Max and Chloe when it would probably be more thematically appropriate to draw them attending joint therapy sessions.

Unlike other Bae-rollers I don't really see their relationship as a romantic one, either. To me it's evolved into something way deeper and wounded, like the kind of intimate friendships people have when they've been in a war zone together. Maybe the new comic will explore some of that.

* I also wanna say it's freaking brilliant how by the end of Episode 5 their typical roles are completely reversed, with Chloe carrying a thoroughly broken Max into the fires Mount Doom and going all captain save-a-ho.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

redreader posted:

As soon as Max visited Chloe in ep 3?4? where she was paralysed, I knew I had to put her down.

That's your first instinct when you see a paralyzed person?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The critical difference between euthanizing Chloe via morphine or time travel is that the Chloe you condemn at the end of Episode 5 dies cold, alone and abandoned, having never understood her greater role in events or reunited with her best friend. I think there's no way Max allows that to happen given all the trauma they've experienced together.

I like to imagine the memories of that lost week are returned to Chloe at the end which is why the butterfly returns during the funeral. But yeah, while Bay kind of works from a thematic sense it is kind of lovely that Chloe is once again made a scapegoat for some one else's mistakes as, like you alluded to, the Chloe actually being sacrificed has no idea what happened or that Max is even back in town. As far as she knows, Rachel's missing, her mom's basically betrayed her, she's deep into debt with Frank and the last contact she had with Max was a recording from 5 years ago and a few half-assed text responses. Aside from a select few, all the town is going to remember her as is a troubled dropout (at best), if they care at all that is. Max is left with knowledge she can never tell anyone without sounding crazy and (possibly) some lingering powers that she can never use, but she is now free to resume chasing after the dreams she gave up and Chloe continues to watch over her in a sense. In that case, she may as well have just come out of hiding and pulled the trigger herself. Chloe's too good a person to deserve to go out like that in my opinion.

With the other ending, Max instead chooses to live with the consequences thereby giving them both a second chance to start their lives over free from emotional masks and the burdens of the past. But it has it's own share of problems such as Chloe probably feeling some lingering resentment/guilt over the fact that her life came at the cost of nearly everyone she knew and loved as well as several others (many of whom had nothing to do with this whole mess) and Max isn't doing much better (look at her face when the ending starts). Plus there's the fact that neither of them can ever leave the other now without looking like a complete rear end in a top hat. I imagine no matter what ending you pick Max is probably left with some form of PTSD regardless (she did just spend a week essentially fighting a war against the universe all by herself after all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 12, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
otoh anyone surviving a storm that kills their entire family and most people they know is likely going to experience survivor's guilt and PTSD even without a time travelling best friend who theoretically may have been able to save everyone, so I wouldn't really blame Max for that. Max really just needs to stick to her guns that Chloe didn't experience the hosed up limbo nightmare world and that she couldn't risk tearing apart reality even further on the off chance that sacrificing Chloe might fix everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just wanna say, Life is Strange is pretty much the greatest video game ever made.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

otoh anyone surviving a storm that kills their entire family and most people they know is likely going to experience survivor's guilt and PTSD even without a time travelling best friend who theoretically may have been able to save everyone, so I wouldn't really blame Max for that. Max really just needs to stick to her guns that Chloe didn't experience the hosed up limbo nightmare world and that she couldn't risk tearing apart reality even further on the off chance that sacrificing Chloe might fix everything.

That aside, I do like how Max develops into a much stronger person thanks to Chloe. At the beginning, she's just a shy hipster who has convictions but is hesitant about following through on them (which makes her come off as a bit of a hypocrite at times) but by the time we reach the Vortex Club party that Max is dead and buried, now replaced with a more assertive version who isn't afraid to tell people off. I kind of liked that Max better and wish we got to see a bit more of her.

You could actually say the same thing about Chloe to be honest. Thanks to Rachel she goes from just not really caring about anything to taking on a drug lord alone and unarmed just to help someone she's known for less than a week and finally to offering herself up in sacrifice to save the town she once so desperately wanted to escape from destruction and Max from herself. Hell, compare the scenes from BtS Episode 3 and LiS Episode 4. In the former she freezes up in the junkyard, allowing Damon to stab Rachel but in the latter when Max is put in a similar situation by Frank, Chloe winds up shooting him dead (even though she hates herself for it afterwards).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 12, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

BobTheJanitor posted:

Her terrible life is a big part of why saving Chloe is the only ending I can ever go for. She's had so much poo poo dumped on her that her karmic scales are massively out of whack. If anyone deserves to have Max intervene and balance things out by saving her from a miserable death in a bathroom, it's Chloe. Plus in a way that ending is the only one that saves Max, as well. At least the Max we know. Hitting the reset button and doing nothing is almost certainly going to shatter the person Max became over the course of the week of adventure. No more newfound confident and strong Max. She'll learn that the only viable choice in life is to cower in hiding, even while your friend is bleeding out a few feet away. Too grim for me to even consider it. At least the save-Chloe ending has an element of accepting the consequences of your actions and moving forward with your life.

You just reminded me of my biggest problem with the save Arcadia Bay ending.

"You should have done nothing" is a really lovely lesson.

I don't think that's what they were going for at all, but it ends up being how it looks. It's not good and I hate it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, I've never been big on Reset Button endings in fiction as I feel in kind of invalidates the journey in some ways. Though like I've said, Bay still feels more like a definitive ending while Bae feels more like the lead up to a sequel.

That said, it says a lot about Chloe's character that after spending 5 years in a living nightmare punctuated by only a few brief moments of happiness, more often than not she still almost instinctively tries to help others even when she has nothing to gain from it (even if she's not always great at it) and is rather fiercely loyal to those she cares about. A lesser person probably would have gone insane or hurled themselves off a ledge a long time ago.

While there is a bit of legitimate punk in her most of it is just an act in order to keep herself from completely falling apart (and the mask is paper thin to anyone willing to give her more than a cursory look). If you think about it, despite making a few mistakes of her own Chloe is probably one of the closest things to a genuine hero in this series and, while she ultimately failed with Rachel, she did manage to save Max in a pretty significant way.

It kind of amuses me how in this series it's usually the "respectable" adults that turn out to be complete assholes (James, Jefferson) while the types that are generally regarded as more "unsavory" turn out to have a lot more integrity to them (Chloe, Frank). "Don't judge a book by its cover" seems to be a common theme in LiS come to think of it though there are a few exceptions both good and bad where what you see is pretty much what you get (Kate, Damon).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which it's kind of a shame that Chloe and Kate never got a chance to properly meet in either game (though Chloe does say in LiS that she knows her) as, while they reacted to it in different ways, their general situation is kind of similar (two good people that the world suddenly decided to take a massive poo poo all over one day for no explained reason). It might have been interesting to see how they would have interacted with each other.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 12, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Well you see if you just read my 47 chapter in-progress Chloe/Kate fanfic, it will all make sense

Edit: I shouldn't have looked. Of course #pricemarsh is a thing. Then I saw that #pricescott is a thing for Chloe/Nathan shippers. :stonk:

Tumblr, not even once.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Well you see if you just read my 47 chapter in-progress Chloe/Kate fanfic, it will all make sense

Edit: I shouldn't have looked. Of course #pricemarsh is a thing. Then I saw that #pricescott is a thing for Chloe/Nathan shippers. :stonk:

Tumblr, not even once.

Oh, there are a lot of weird pairings out there like Warren/Nathan and Max/Jefferson (why) as well as kind of out there but slightly more plausible ones like Kate/Dana and Max/Steph. But then again that's pretty much true of any fandom really.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 13, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pfft Steph is too good for Max.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All shipping fandoms in this game are weird and terrible except ofc Marshfield because it's so completely OBVIOUS Max and Kate were meant to be together I mean come on just look at them people!!.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Max/Victoria probably has the best name though (Maximum Victory).

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Pompidou/Frank's leg OTP

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Pompidou/Frank's leg OTP

Frank/Beans

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Lol if you're not shipping Eliot and Hawt Dawg Man. I mean did you even play the game?

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Most fans would accuse it of being a crack ship but actually that makes perfect sense to me. The way he holds that Anthropomorphic weenie in the hospital corridor just screams that he has tons of experience with grasping his Hotdog Man. While picturing Chloe dressed as Calamastia the elf barbarian, naturally.

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 14, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oglaf today predicting Max's future sexual neuroses: https://www.oglaf.com/ventilation/ :nws:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's amazing how I'm still finding stuff in these games I've never seen before. For example, try talking to Justin again after Trevor does his skateboarding trick, he actually mentions Chloe a bit (albeit in an indirect way). Also if you talk to Chloe in the junkyard before going to find the bottles you get a weird conversation where Max suddenly develops a God Complex for a few minutes.

Failing the Backtalk with Steph during the first D&D game in BtS is also kind of hilarious and choosing "That's it?" during the conversation with David and Joyce in Episode 3 will actually cause Chloe to bring up some good points regarding his behavior (all of which just get brushed off of course). Finally, in Farewell try looking at the flowers again after looking at Bongo's grave. You'll be given the option to take one and put it on said grave, which changes the picture Chloe draws at the end.

Also, I actually kind of want to play that Hawt Dawg Man game Max mentions in Episode 5. It'd be cool if they stuck it into LiS 2 as an optional minigame ala Demontower from Night in the Woods.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 14, 2018

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Larryb posted:

Also, I actually kind of want to play that Hawt Dawg Man game Max mentions in Episode 5. It'd be cool if they stuck it into LiS 2 as an optional minigame ala Demontower from Night in the Woods.

If it looks and plays a bit like Cool Spot that would be pretty much perfect.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Failing the Backtalk with Steph during the first D&D game in BtS is also kind of hilarious and choosing "That's it?" during the conversation with David and Joyce in Episode 3 will actually cause Chloe to bring up some good points regarding his behavior (all of which just get brushed off of course). Finally, in Farewell try looking at the flowers again after looking at Bongo's grave. You'll be given the option to take one and put it on said grave, which changes the picture Chloe draws at the end.

You can fail all of the backtalk challenges and still complete the game, there's no need to win any of them. Failing the first one (trying to get past the bouncer) is kind of funny, because the game is trying to teach you how to do the backtalk minigame and so has flashing words on the screen directing you towards the right answers. You really have to want to fail that one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

You can fail all of the backtalk challenges and still complete the game, there's no need to win any of them. Failing the first one (trying to get past the bouncer) is kind of funny, because the game is trying to teach you how to do the backtalk minigame and so has flashing words on the screen directing you towards the right answers. You really have to want to fail that one.

I know that (in fact on replays I usually just fail the ones with Skip and Eliot on purpose because I like the resulting scenes better), I was just talking about that particular scene. Another nice little detail about BtS, if you check your hand right before the play there's nothing there because the glove is covering it up (also one of the words that has already been filled out on the crossword puzzle at the Amber house is "raven").

Speaking of which, I've noticed that a lot of scenes in BtS are very slow paced (especially in Episode 3) and it would be nice if in LiS 2 there was an option to skip straight to the next choice/gameplay segment instead of having to sit through the same scene again every time you stop and reload your save. I know you can do this with conversations you've seen before in LiS and I believe both games let you skip cutscenes when playing in Collectors Mode but it would be nice to have the option available at any time, it's just a minor gripe though.

Also, if anyone here owns the retail version of BtS, does it give you the option to restart an episode from any scene like the original did or are your options still just play in Collectors Mode or restart the episode from scratch?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 16, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Caros posted:

Likewise, I can't really say I agree with your opinion on Max being serene. I did a bit of an effort post on the music, back after the end of episode 5, and there really isn't much of a question of which ending the developers thought was hopeful and optimistic, and which they thought was depressing as hell, if you go by the music choice. Bay ending gets Spanish Sahara, a song about a nightmarish, desolate wasteland, whose primary theme is that there is some trauma you cannot get over, trauma that multiplies and consumes you. Bae ending, by contrast, gets Obstacles, a song about maturing and persevering through troubling times.

I hadn't paid much attention to Spanish Sahara previously (since that is the objectively wrong ending fite me), but since replaying the game recently I've been repeatedly listening to the soundtracks from both games. God drat, that song is grim. "Forget the horror here/Leave it all down here/It's future rust and it's future dust" and "Choir of furies in your head" are pretty on the nose lyrics for a bleak and hopeless ending. I mean, it's still good, but it can be hard to listen to casually.

Daughter really knocked it out of the park with the BtS album, too. It kind of surprises me how music that I'd only heard once and couldn't have recalled before re-listening to it still managed to pull me right back into the scenes where it played. Like I can't listen to Flaws without thinking of Rachel flipping the gently caress out at a flaming tree. I hope LiS2 continues the tradition of hiring a sad indie artist to score the game, because it's a great idea.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Hole in the Earth is an example of how one song can just perfectly encapsulate a complex relationship. Daughter was a great choice to write the BtS soundtrack.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I love how almost every song in BtS has something to do with the characters or story (even more so than the original at times). Hell, even stuff like Burning the Midnight Oil is kind of thematically appropriate if you think about it. Black Flies was also a perfect song to end things out on and gives me kind of the same vibe that Spanish Sahara did (if you pay attention to the lyrics it's practically the theme song to Chloe's life).

It's also kind of too bad that this song from the initial trailer never actually got used in the main game (though to be fair, there were a few trailer exclusive songs in the original LiS too), it probably would have been a good choice for the end of Episode 3 had the closing montage not been quite as positive as it was.

Hole in the Earth was another good one ("You have buried childish qualities, I have many destructive qualities"/"Your father's a liar, my father's lying down"). Speaking of which, how many songs in the original were written explicitly for Life is Strange like this one obviously was for Before the Storm?

As for the first game, it's kind of ironic that the song that plays during the Sacrifice the Bay ending is overall a lot more positive in tone by comparison (it's also the same song that played at the end of the first episode, kind of bringing things full circle).

But yeah, the soundtrack is one of the best things about these games and I hope the same level of quality music continues into LiS 2.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 16, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, one of my favorite bits in BtS is one not many people actually see (at least, none of the playthroughs I've watched had it): Chloe's final journal entry.

quote:

Max,

I failed. I was unable to save Rachel's mom. Instead, I had to watch Damon Merrick stab a heroin needle into her neck, see the color drain from her face, the hope from her eyes. And there was nothing I could do about it.

I should probably be dead, but Frank showed up. Attacked Damon, if you can believe. I don't know what happened after that. I got knocked out and woke up to find Sera sitting there.

She seemed desperate to talk to me. But she didn't want to talk about Rachel, or meeting her. She only cared about one thing: convincing me to lie to Rachel about her dad and pretend I never found her.

I desperately tried to change her mind, to tell her that Rachel needs her.

And now... now I have to decide what to tell Rachel. What would you do, Max?

You can't answer, I know. You don't exist. You're a lie I've used to avoid reality. To keep living in the past. And maybe that's okay?

But... I don't think I want to live in the past anymore. I want to be in the present. With Rachel. No matter what happens next.

Goodbye, Max.

Chloe

It's a pretty stark contrast to some of the early stuff, Chloe is dead serious, it's the only time she doesn't add a nickname to her signature, and it actually makes it sound like, thanks to Rachel, she's finally starting to let go of the past and move forward with her life. A pity it all comes crashing down again 3 years later (Chloe kind of has a Monkey's Paw deal going on when it comes to most of the good things in her life).

Also another thing I just found out when looking that up, apparently if you make enough wrong choices during the conversation with her and then offer Rachel's bracelet Sera will actually refuse it, leaving like normal (like I've said before, the whole thing is basically a Backtalk challenge only there's no timer or progress bar to tell how you're doing).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I love the journal entries for the extra story bits and cute art and the flavor they give to the characters, but I also kind of hate them for being out of the way of the normal story flow. As much as I try to remember to check for updates in every scene, I'm much more likely to get caught up in the story playing out in front of me and forget. I wish there was a more persistent 'new journal' notification that maybe didn't go away until you pulled it up. But on the other hand, that might get annoying too.

Also there's that weird dissonance of 'how did Max find time to fill out the journal while constantly engaged in heart-wrenching conversation?' "Chloe! I can't make this choice!" "No, Max, y--" "Wait hold up just got to jot down my thoughts... and get the stickers just right... and now a doodle... almost done... ok, you were saying?"

This is what really caused the time tornado, right? Constant rewinding for the sake of journaling.

• Locked thread