Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

twistedmentat posted:

Hey MJ, have you hear about Jordan Peterson?

Enjoyed this Squirrel Girl with its new art. I liked how upset Doreen was that Kraven knew her secret identity, because its not like she tries hard to hide it. Also, I'm sure that's the class she was teaching in Marvel Rising, so Kamala was probably the girl that says good bye to her.

Yeah it was good

site posted:

Did Thor start drinking before or after the first movie came out

Unrelated, I'm still very conflicted on the new squirrel girl art. It just looks so flat and plain. I swear every time i turned the page i was wondering if i was even reading the right book. Also doreen is no longer thick which is weird as hell.

I do agree that hopefully Derek does Doreen's physique better in future issues, cause she had a pretty unique one for a heroine

Also her face was a bit too angular in some panels

Shawn posted:

Surprised no one is talking about Deadpool. Only comic this week to make me barf and cry.

Besides the fact that it's probably the grossest comic I've ever read(and I've read stuff like Crossed, Bomb Queen, and The Unfunnies so that's really saying something) I otherwise thought it was a pile of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Well with a phrase like that I kind of have to know what it's about. What happens in it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Donny Cates' Venom was pretty interesting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Well with a phrase like that I kind of have to know what it's about. What happens in it?

Gerry Duggan Deadpool run finale spoilers:

Deadpool wants to turn himself in via climactic fight against the Avengers and buys some black market thing from space that's supposed to give him the edge. He expects it to be lasers or super strength, but instead it just makes him incredibly toxic to the point that everyone nearby is forced to vomit in his presence. We get sight gags like a police dog puking, eating the puke, repeat or the horror of vomiting Giant Man.

Later, Deadpool is pursued by Cap and Agent Preston in a car chase. Deadpool goes to Butler's old hideout and injects himself with all of his memory-scrambling medication. He's found comatose and we see inside his head as he destroys various moments from throughout the Duggan run, including his wedding and his memories of Ellie. He ends up finding himself in Hell, being attacked by the good people he killed or got killed. He's pulled out by an angelic woman (his mother?) who tells him to love himself.

Deadpool is judged as being too mentally incapable to be tried for Coulson's murdered and is thrown in a mental institution. He remains in a coma until a new inmate insists on being Deadpool. Deadpool wakes up, says the last thing he remembers is the Daniel Way run and escapes.

A stinger shows 2099, where Wade is happy teaming up with Preston and his two daughters.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Donny Cates' Venom was pretty interesting.

I liked how they finally called out the fact that the symbiote should probably have its own name.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I didn't pick it up. If you're telling me she doesn't have a big ol tail butt from having to tuck it in in her civvies, burn this poo poo.

They mention this in the comic, and have a scene where she's hiding her tail in her pants. For a reason that I won't spoil if you haven't read it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

I didn't pick it up. If you're telling me she doesn't have a big ol tail butt from having to tuck it in in her civvies, burn this poo poo.

I mean, i guess there's that but i was thinking more that erica always drew doreen as being muscular which i always appreciated but now shes just stereotypical comic waif girl size

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Being a reader of just Spider-Man as a kid, then not really touching current comics for over ten years until the last Secret Wars, I finally read volumes 1 and 2 of Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. series, and... I don't mean to low-effort post, but... what? Holy poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Good holy poo poo? Bad holy poo poo? Holy poo poo it just ended on that note for seven years? You're gonna have to be more specific if you want feedback

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it’s actually finishing this year. Maybe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I think in a month or two that's why they rereleased the old issues the other week

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

site posted:

Good holy poo poo? Bad holy poo poo? Holy poo poo it just ended on that note for seven years? You're gonna have to be more specific if you want feedback

Very, very good holy poo poo. Also, holy poo poo I can't believe that kind of cliff-hanger lasted for seven years. I wasn't really looking for any feedback. Also, reading it interspersed with Hickman's first FF issues made it even better.

I've finished reading the giant reading-list for modern cosmic Marvel that includes Annihilation in '04 though The Annihilators in '11, and Hickman's work seemed like a good place to start since it hits Infinity and continues through to Secret Wars. And, since I finally know the differences between things like Beyonders, and Celestials, and Elders, I'll have a much better understanding of what's going on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gavok posted:

Gerry Duggan Deadpool run finale spoilers:

Deadpool wants to turn himself in via climactic fight against the Avengers and buys some black market thing from space that's supposed to give him the edge. He expects it to be lasers or super strength, but instead it just makes him incredibly toxic to the point that everyone nearby is forced to vomit in his presence. We get sight gags like a police dog puking, eating the puke, repeat or the horror of vomiting Giant Man.

Later, Deadpool is pursued by Cap and Agent Preston in a car chase. Deadpool goes to Butler's old hideout and injects himself with all of his memory-scrambling medication. He's found comatose and we see inside his head as he destroys various moments from throughout the Duggan run, including his wedding and his memories of Ellie. He ends up finding himself in Hell, being attacked by the good people he killed or got killed. He's pulled out by an angelic woman (his mother?) who tells him to love himself.

Deadpool is judged as being too mentally incapable to be tried for Coulson's murdered and is thrown in a mental institution. He remains in a coma until a new inmate insists on being Deadpool. Deadpool wakes up, says the last thing he remembers is the Daniel Way run and escapes.

A stinger shows 2099, where Wade is happy teaming up with Preston and his two daughters.

I literally could not believe the first ten pages or so of that comic were allowed to be printed. It was incredible.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Covok posted:

I think it was just temporary. Like "I can find him easy, let me find out what's going on first, then come back with a game plan so I don't accidentally give the mob boss/mayor something bad. Easier to get back from Boomerang, than Fisk." I get the logic, especially since Boomerang isn't like Carnage or the Goblin. Letting him run loose for a day will, at worst, result in a gas station getting held up. Much lower risk when Wilson Fisk recently almost blew up the city because his insurance plan for being found out was a statue made out of a substance that explodes worse than nuclear fission. So God knows what he could be trying to steal from Captain Boomerang.

Boomerang is a murderer who killed Jackpot's husband in front of her and her daughter. And Spider-Man's whole origin is that letting a robber go ended up with the robber killing his uncle. Why would he let him go?

Rhyno posted:

When did Marvel take Thor from his "Warrior Born" personality and turn him into the Norse Party Boy? Reading back through old Thor comics there isn't really a lot of him getting drunk as poo poo as Aaron writes him. Is there a specific point where that changed? I don't even recall it being a thing in the JMS run.

Matt Fraction's loving terrible run where he decided to give Thor the same personality as the Thor he wrote in his Ages of Thunder books and reduced him to a raging, drunken idiot. Then the first Thor movie came out and basically cemented Thor as being a dumbass in the the eyes of most writers.

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought that it was always canon that Thor was an arrogant prick until Odin had enough and cast him out into the Donald Blake identity.

Originally in Thor #159 Thor was cast out so he could learn weakness and feel pain as a mortal since Odin wanted him to learn humility. The events leading up to the exile really don't paint him as an arrogant prick at all, first he trespassed into Nifleheim and nearly broke a royal truce but only because he was hunting down a deadly monster that would have gone on to kill Asgardians and giants alike. And later Thor gets into a fight after somebody he was arm-wrestling accuses him and the Warriors Three of cheating and attacks them. Then Odin summons him for a talk and even tells Thor his honor is unsullied before casting him down to Earth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Horrible Taste posted:

Boomerang is a murderer who killed Jackpot's husband in front of her and her daughter. And Spider-Man's whole origin is that letting a robber go ended up with the robber killing his uncle. Why would he let him go?

I was unaware about that with Boomerang and when you mention that last part you made me realize that yeah that actually was really loving dumb and indefensible. Like that's actually a really loving good point.

Like that's a really good point.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I literally could not believe the first ten pages or so of that comic were allowed to be printed. It was incredible.

I know it wasn't like Deadpool would be labeled a hero forever but Captain America getting a pass after NaziCap and then like one issue later he's tracking down Deadpool for things he did under the reign of Steveil just seems so wrong to me.
I don't feel like Cap has had to atone or earn back his reputation at ALL in any of the books he's in and now in his own book, he's lost in time again. Waid is a good writer overall, I'd rather have seen him making up for Spencer's bullshit than handwaving the Nazi stuff and just pulling another time travel bullshit story.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

EvilJay posted:

I know it wasn't like Deadpool would be labeled a hero forever but Captain America getting a pass after NaziCap and then like one issue later he's tracking down Deadpool for things he did under the reign of Steveil just seems so wrong to me.
I don't feel like Cap has had to atone or earn back his reputation at ALL in any of the books he's in and now in his own book, he's lost in time again. Waid is a good writer overall, I'd rather have seen him making up for Spencer's bullshit than handwaving the Nazi stuff and just pulling another time travel bullshit story.

Yeah, this I have to agree with hard even though I like Waid's stuff. The fact that Deadpool has to redeem himself but loving Captain America doesn't have to redeem himself after what his alternate self did is stupid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Covok posted:

Yeah, this I have to agree with hard even though I like Waid's stuff. The fact that Deadpool has to redeem himself but loving Captain America doesn't have to redeem himself after what his alternate self did is stupid.

Except it’s also stuff he did post secret empire, and it seems that he is trying to punish himself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Steve was forcibly changed against his will when his past was tampered with. Deadpool did what he did of his own volition. He knew it was wrong and he still did it. I think that’s a pretty big difference.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Guys, please refer to Supreme Hydra Leader President Steve Rogers by his proper name, Nazsteve, or just as Captain America, since the person calling themselves Captain America right now is a magical creation of a little girl remember an idealized Captain America.

Stevil is already taken by Urkel's sentient evil ventriloquist's dummy

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Guys, please refer to Supreme Hydra Leader President Steve Rogers by his proper name, Nazsteve, or just as Captain America, since the person calling themselves Captain America right now is a magical creation of a little girl remember an idealized Captain America.

Stevil is already taken by Urkel's sentient evil ventriloquist's dummy

I say this with all the love in my heart, how the gently caress do you remember that? How the gently caress do you remember the name of an ancillary villain from Family Matters?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

When did Marvel take Thor from his "Warrior Born" personality and turn him into the Norse Party Boy? Reading back through old Thor comics there isn't really a lot of him getting drunk as poo poo as Aaron writes him. Is there a specific point where that changed? I don't even recall it being a thing in the JMS run.

I remember there being occasional moments of Thor liking to party when he was off the clock going as far back as Mark Waid's second run on Captain America, immediately post-"Heroes Reborn."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Covok posted:

I say this with all the love in my heart, how the gently caress do you remember that? How the gently caress do you remember the name of an ancillary villain from Family Matters?

The possessed Carl Winslow dummy was named Carlsbad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

It is kinda amazing they allowed most of the major earth based heroes to get poo poo on so heavily in a main continuity book

EvilJay posted:

Honestly I think they should have just killed Deadpool off(by letting him succeed in his suicide by Avengers plan) and have him be replaced by a clone or something, would have achieved much the same result

although I just realized a bit of a plothole, Deadpool clearly wanted to die, and since the issue started off with him on Nowhere that means he had some sort of access to a spaceship, so why didn't he just fly it into the sun or something?

And don't give me a Doylist answer, those are always obvious and boring, and don't point out the obvious Watsonian answer of "he just didn't think of it because Wade is a moron" either

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

The possessed Carl Winslow dummy was named Carlsbad.

I WISH I remembered that. As much as I love to stir poo poo up and walk away, Deadpool did NOT know about Nazsteve being a Nazi when he killed Coulson and Preston. Should he have questioned it, yes but when Captain America says "Do this, for America" when it makes it into Wade's demented brain, you kind of have to side with Deadpool; he really didn't know.

Also, I was going to post that we are pretty close to the concentration camp books as we are to Secret Empire but holy poo poo, ""The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" was loving 2013...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

drrockso20 posted:

although I just realized a bit of a plothole, Deadpool clearly wanted to die, and since the issue started off with him on Nowhere that means he had some sort of access to a spaceship, so why didn't he just fly it into the sun or something?

The first few pages of the book are a flashback to a previous arc where Wade was in space for a while.

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Wanderer posted:

The first few pages of the book are a flashback to a previous arc where Wade was in space for a while.

I'm prefacing this by saying that until the more recent books, I really do not overall care for Deadpool as a character.

That being said: None of this--and I know this was not your point-- explains why Deadpool is suddenly an rear end in a top hat to everyone and Steve is just not only forgiven but tasked and OK with tracking down the man who only carried out the orders he thought came from the REAL Steve and not Stevil or Nazsteve (both are great names). From Deadpool's POV 'Captain America' gave him a job and he did it without question. I think it's messed up that Wade has to be tried in court for his actions when Steve is not only automatically exonerated but somehow cleared to testify against him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Oh okay that makes more sense

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's really hosed up that mercenary/assassin Deadpool isn't given the same leeway that Captain America is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean "Deadpool doesn't get a break while Cap gets to walk" was the main thesis of the Deadpool and Cap fight from last arc and it was explicitly acknowledged that yeah it's kind of hosed up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Unfortunately you're never gonna get a satisfactory answer to that cuz it's just that marvel will never let Steve take the heat for it

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
forgetting whatever happens in any and all event books just seems like a good policy

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Shawn posted:

Surprised no one is talking about Deadpool. Only comic this week to make me barf and cry.

Jesus Christ that was frickin hilarious. Ms Marvel using her stretching powers to ... contain the tide, the dog part, it was all just over the top enough without being too in your face.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/995066366351753216?s=19

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not really a big fan of Venom to be honest, outside of Flash Thompson which I still think is infinitely more interesting as Venom than Brock has ever been, but I went ahead and picked up the first issue of the new series pretty much solely because it was written by Donny Cates. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Surprisingly so, or maybe not since Cates has pretty much hit everything he's touched at Marvel out of the park as far as I'm concerned. I think I'll hang on for an arc or two and see where it leads.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the idea (and design) of venom is better than he tends to be in practice

or maybe the concept isn't that good either and I'm just stuck thinking about it how I did as a kid

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

outside of Flash Thompson which I still think is infinitely more interesting as Venom than Brock has ever been,

I think this is just factually true.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Eddies current run probably disproves this. I’m still debating if the Venommobile is enough to trump “The Land Before Crime.”

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Speaking of a Thompson, after finishing Rogue and Gambit, I wanted to see a bit more of what Kelly Thompson has written so far. Unfortunately, aside from the spectacular Hawkeye, there was only A-Force. That series was fun and good, but since featured Captain Marvel and She-Hulk it obviously kinda suffered from the whole CW2 derail. I felt the same way when reading Ultimates. That stupid event ruined so many great story lines.

I'm curious what's in store for Thompson.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well off the top of my head shes also done the recent jem and the holograms run, the capt phasma mini, the Ghostbusters answer the call mini that just ended, and mega princess and she just announced a nancy drew book the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh sorry, I meant specifically with regards to marvel comics.
But I can totally see her writing Nancy Drew. It's basically a less fighty version of Kate Bishop. Maybe she'll slip another reference to Kate Beaton in there. :allears:

• Locked thread