Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thats a wicked nice mower, my granpa has a couple like that that hes restored. Kohler makes the best gas engines hands down. I have a 22hp twin on one of my commercial mowers with 2500 hours on it and it runs perfect, still has crosshatch in the bores and plenty of power. I just regasketed it this winter and now its really like new with no leaks.

The Kawasaki engines are nice and have plenty of power but they leak oil if you look at them wrong. 450 hours on my newest machine and the drat top crank seal is leaking already and I change the oil more often than even recommended. Usually 20-30 hours. Another of my machines has a Kawa with about the same hours and when I pulled the tin to clean the fins last year one cylinder was completely caked and not getting any cooling at all. I didnt know because I clean my stuff weekly at least and the outside was spotless.

You're making me want to rebuild the 314 sitting in our barn.

What oil in the Kawa's? My Hustler just hit warranty and I'm thinking of switching to synthetic for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Someone told me once to not run synthetic in small motors.... I think it was a service guy at Honda powersports now that I think of it. Seemed counter intuitive to me but he actually said it promoted leaking. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not, I assumed not but maybe? :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yes every salesperson has some highly instructive personal anecdote about never putting synthetic oil in engine x and to only use Company Brand Engine oil for $$$. Weird.

Couple months ago I bought a new dishwasher but was hanging in the background with the salesman while my wife was doing the talking. He tried to convince her that not loading your dishwasher to capacity would damage it because all that soap has to go somewhere and dispense its chemical power I guess. I think that was his segue into an extended warranty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

the spyder posted:

You're making me want to rebuild the 314 sitting in our barn.

What oil in the Kawa's? My Hustler just hit warranty and I'm thinking of switching to synthetic for no good reason.

I just run regular Castrol GTX 10w30. I havent tried synthetic in anything though maybe it would be a good experiment once I change that crank seal.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Darchangel posted:

95 HP, really? Wow.

And that's to the wheels. The 2.8 (ignore what the intake manifold says) was rated at 125 bhp, so factoring in a 24% drivetrain loss through the 440T4, that's about right.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes every salesperson has some highly instructive personal anecdote about never putting synthetic oil in engine x and to only use Company Brand Engine oil for $$$. Weird.

Couple months ago I bought a new dishwasher but was hanging in the background with the salesman while my wife was doing the talking. He tried to convince her that not loading your dishwasher to capacity would damage it because all that soap has to go somewhere and dispense its chemical power I guess. I think that was his segue into an extended warranty.

There is a bit of truth to this. If you rinse your dishes you tend to end up with foggy glassware due to the detergent not having enough grease to react with.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What? No. That's wrong. A big part of it is how dish detergent doesn't have phosphates in it anymore, and how people perceive the "squeak" from hard water meaning things are clean. "Squeaky clean" was 1940s marketing. A squeak means you have a thin layer of soap scum on the dish/your skin, that makes the frictive surface. It has nothing to do with "enough grease for the detergent to react (?) with," and more to do with "you've got hard water and a terrible rinse cycle." By the time it's time to dry the dishes, all stuff in the machine, even excess detergent, should have been rinsed away, machine full or empty doesn't matter.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 10, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hard water vs soft water is a horrible failure of some kind. It's one thing to read up and understand that soft water is "better" but having lived with hard water my whole life I hate how if you use one molecule too much soap it feels like it takes way longer to rinse off. I can't get myself to work with it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh shoot thanks for reminding me to get more salt.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh shoot thanks for reminding me to get more salt.

I’ve never forgot to buy salt and then had to dump in 200 pounds. Never.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The first two months at this apartment I hated the soft water. But it's better now. I've lived with super hard water my entire life so I thought that it had to "squeak," but now hard water feels grody. It took jumping over a HUGE mental hurdle.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve never forgot to buy salt and then had to dump in 200 pounds. Never.

Huh? Salt for your dishwasher?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Some have built-in water softeners.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Some people also have whole home water softeners. Usually located next to the water heater.

Softener:

Salt:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Someone told me once to not run synthetic in small motors.... I think it was a service guy at Honda powersports now that I think of it. Seemed counter intuitive to me but he actually said it promoted leaking. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not, I assumed not but maybe? :shrug:

They say the same thing about older cars. As I understand it, synthetic doesn't "promote" leaking so much as it's better at breaking down the sludge and gunk that's currently keeping your engine sealed. So it exposes horrible gasket failures and gets blamed for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some synthetic oils contain detergents, so they will definitely break down all the crap that's been in the engine for decades, exposing all the leaks they were clogging.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's two issues with old engines, one was detergents. Use non detergent oil for several years and crap builds up but the engine runs okay. Switch to detergent oil without a rebuild and suddenly all that gunk breaks free and clogs everything up.

The issue with synthetics is they penetrate better and reveal bad seals.

But you can get non-detergent synthetic and get all the leaking, with none of the gunk breakdown.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When I bought my ZG1400 Kawi, the dealer told me to not use Synthetic until I had at least 10,000KMs on it.

I promptly put synthetic in it my first change, and the world did not end.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

xzzy posted:

But you can get non-detergent synthetic and get all the leaking, with none of the gunk breakdown.

Truly the best of both worlds.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

slidebite posted:

When I bought my ZG1400 Kawi, the dealer told me to not use Synthetic until I had at least 10,000KMs on it.

I promptly put synthetic in it my first change, and the world did not end.

Old-school engine builders will swear up and down that you must break in an engine with regular mineral oil to get proper ring seating.
I think I read a study on this in the past decade or so but now I can't remember the findings.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

xergm posted:

Some people also have whole home water softeners. Usually located next to the water heater.

Softener:

Salt:

I looked into getting one for the house since the water is super-hard, but only the Kinetico guy offered a dual-tank softener (which cuts back on late or unnecessary cycles, the latter of which I'd really like to avoid since we're on a septic tank). People seem to love their Kineticos, but they're expensive and I've heard something like the brine tanks are more prone to causing flooding. The capacity is also lower than some others, which shouldn't matter much in terms of sustaining good water quality since it's dual-tank, but it sounds like that can decrease the life of the mechanical bits from more frequent cycling.

Pain in the rear end. I'd like one freaking choice on this house to be easy for once.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im going to switch my brand new mower to synthetic next oil change now that it has 500 hours on it just to see what happens. Then Ill have at least one anecdote in the endless synthetic oil discussions we all will probably have for eternity.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

shy boy from chess club posted:

Im going to switch my brand new mower to synthetic next oil change now that it has 500 hours on it just to see what happens. Then Ill have at least one anecdote in the endless synthetic oil discussions we all will probably have for eternity.

It's probably going to leak. The tolerances just seem to be so much more loose that it happens no matter what, from what I've seen.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its a Kawasaki so its already leaking. Its just a matter of increased flow at this point.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I've owned a dozen high mileage shitboxes and put synthetic in every one of them (i drive a lot, so less frequent oil changes is nice). The leaky ones don't leak worse, the ones that don't leak don't start leaking (ok, the only car that hasn't leaked oil is the toyota with 245k miles).

The only engines that really shouldn't have synthetic are engines without oil filters. Detergent oils (both synthetic and conventional) are designed to suspend dirt particles so they can be carried to the filter. If you don't have a filter, like many small engines and ancient cars, you'll have dirt floating around the oil all the time, not great. You're really supposed to use a non-detergent oil which is designed to drop all the particles to the bottom of the pan. That's why old cars (like pre-60's) need to have the oil pan pulled and cleaned before running a modern oil. It was a common service back in the day to remove and clean the pan, it's where all the dirt ended up. The sludge wasn't there because lack of maintenance, per se, it was there because that's just how things worked.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Old-school engine builders will swear up and down that you must break in an engine with regular mineral oil to get proper ring seating.
I think I read a study on this in the past decade or so but now I can't remember the findings.

That's I was told when I picked up 389 from the rebuilder. In fact, he wanted me to run Delvac in it for 500-miles, them change it + filter, then run natural 10w40 thereafter. I've been doing it, but I also change the oil every 24-months since I don't put 2k/year on it & the acids build up.

:shrug:

I wind up changing fluids on a time schedule, not by mileage...the brake fluid every three years, for example.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I only run synethic in my small engines, including the 10 year old snowblower that had its first ever oil change two years ago.

When my Mazda 6's motor was rebuilt I ran synethic 5W20 or whatever it was in it for 1k, had it changed out for dino after and every change was always dino because I hated that car. Never had issues with the engine itself, just the entire rest of the car.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PainterofCrap posted:

That's I was told when I picked up 389 from the rebuilder. In fact, he wanted me to run Delvac in it for 500-miles, them change it + filter, then run natural 10w40 thereafter. I've been doing it, but I also change the oil every 24-months since I don't put 2k/year on it & the acids build up.

:shrug:

I wind up changing fluids on a time schedule, not by mileage...the brake fluid every three years, for example.

You should be changing oil at least every 12 months. 24 is way too long, even if it isn't being driven.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
My unsupported synthetic oil anecdote is that service life is the significant difference and that's wasted or detrimental to certain engines. A small engine that gets serviced every season, an unfiltered engine, or an infrequently driven vehicle should all have their oil changed long before conventional or synthetic matters.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

This is all I bothered to recover from my strut bearings. They both fell apart the moment I defused the strut bombs.

Look at that peening on the lower race :aaa:

I'd been autocrossing on these :stonklol:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

They say the same thing about older cars. As I understand it, synthetic doesn't "promote" leaking so much as it's better at breaking down the sludge and gunk that's currently keeping your engine sealed. So it exposes horrible gasket failures and gets blamed for it.

Negative Ions has had a steady diet of conventional its entire life, if Carfax is to be believed.

I have 5 quarts of Mobil 1 High Mileage in the trunk waiting for this weekend. And I already know the spark plug tube seals are leaking a little. :getin: No external leaks yet, that may changed this weekend.

Upside: at least I'm using High Mileage, so it should help somewhat.

chrisgt posted:

I've owned a dozen high mileage shitboxes and put synthetic in every one of them (i drive a lot, so less frequent oil changes is nice). The leaky ones don't leak worse, the ones that don't leak don't start leaking (ok, the only car that hasn't leaked oil is the toyota with 245k miles).

You... you have a Toyota that doesn't leak? :stare: I kinda thought that was what Toyotas were good at. At least the 1MZ-FE is, anyway.

100% agree on the extended oil changes being the biggest benefit of synthetic. Going by the oil change shop sticker on the windshield, the new-to-me car was due for an oil change at 138,800, or in December. I got it with 138,300 in April, I'll break 142k tomorrow. The upside is 2 of the POs (out of 3) took it to oil change shops that reported oil changes to Carfax, so I know it's had pretty steady 3-5k oil changes its entire life - I don't think pushing it to 7k this one time will hurt. I do know it has bulk conventional Valvoline 5w30 in it right now, and whatever oil filters Valvoline Instant Oil Change uses, but I have 5 quarts of Mobil 1 High Mileage + an OEM filter sitting in the trunk waiting for this weekend. It's also still dead on the full mark, so either it got overfilled (I doubt it, I've been checking it every fillup and it hasn't changed at all), or this thing just doesn't burn anything yet.

To be honest, I'm half tempted to pull the Mobil 1 15k mile filter out of the wrecked car... it only had about 1000 miles on that oil change, and that's a better filter than the OEM AC Delco filter. But that just seems like something you don't normally swap to another car... right?

My Altima was the leakiest engine out of everything I owned; if anything, it leaked less once I switched to Mobil 1 High Mileage. I did replace the front crank seal while I had it, and the valve cover gasket, but that thing leaked like a sieve when I got it. The oil leaks were mostly gone when I got rid of it (though it was weeping coolant from the head gasket the entire time I had it).

The Twinkie Czar posted:

My unsupported synthetic oil anecdote is that service life is the significant difference and that's wasted or detrimental to certain engines. A small engine that gets serviced every season, an unfiltered engine, or an infrequently driven vehicle should all have their oil changed long before conventional or synthetic matters.

Delivery driver checking in. I do a metric fuckton of idling in the hottest parts of the day if I'm working food delivery (the slowest parts of the day for food delivery are 2-5pm), just to keep the a/c going, if I'm not near one of the few malls still open (if I am, I'll park and go inside). If I'm delivering business goods or prescriptions, then I'm sitting in stop and go traffic for "rush hour" (which is 3-7pm here, depending which highway you're on). I deliver for multiple companies, ranging from Amazon (restaurants, Prime Now, and Amazon Fresh), to other general restaurant delivery for 3 different platforms, to medication delivery, or even running bloodwork to labs, to TVs from major electronics retailers, to potting soil, to as much random poo poo as you can possibly think of to pack into a compact car. The most WTF delivery this year has been one spool of welding wire, from a major big box home improvement retailer... going a mile down the road to the distribution center of the same retailer. Seems a bit asinine that they had to "buy" it from one of their stores, pay to get it delivered... instead of just pulling it out of their own stock and charging it to the distribution center.

I've honestly lost count of how many companies I contract with at this point (it's gotta be close to 10), I just know my 16GB work phone is packed to the gills with on-demand apps. I alternate between crawling through traffic, parking for an hour with the ac on, to cruising at 75 for an hour or two across multiple cities/counties.

I'm really thankful for GM's oil life monitoring system. It's pretty good at accounting for most of the variables I've thrown at it. It's thrown "change oil" messages at me anywhere from 5000 to 12000 miles, depending how I've been driving. I do a lot of road trips too (especially now that I'm in a long distance relationship - averaging 2 round trips a month until I move). Supposedly it's calibrated for conventional oil (my car predates dexos), but I'm a lot more comfortable with synthetic. Particularly with all of the stop/start (of the engine) that I do, and the sitting in traffic.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 11, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The only thing my toyota (02 sequoia) leaks is front diff oil, but that's my fault. I replaced the ADD when it was zero degrees out and did a lovely job sealing it up. It's easier to to add a pint of oil every 3k miles than fix the problem... But no, the 2uz-fe has 245k miles and doesn't leak a drop. 6k mile synthetic oil changes, the level on the dipstick doesn't budge. Toyota made a good engine.

FWIW I run castrol GTX high mileage full synthetic, the green bottle. Changing a grumpy sounding subaru to the stuff made it stop clattering so bad. Although I think it was running whatever the cheapest poo poo you can buy at walmart is, motorcraft or whatever.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TotalLossBrain posted:

My wife's dad is terrible with cars. I love him and I help him out because cars just ain't his thing. He set his old Chevy pickup on fire while looking for fuel leak. The fire department had to come put it out....
That's my Wife's Dad as well. He goes through cars every couple years because he drives them until stuff starts to go wrong then trades them in for something new. The F100 we now own is the vehicle he had owned the longest at 4 years. Knowing his 'maintenance schedule' I had new fluids ready for it when we brought it home. Everything was near empty and at least four years old.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

chrisgt posted:

The only thing my toyota (02 sequoia) leaks is front diff oil, but that's my fault. I replaced the ADD when it was zero degrees out and did a lovely job sealing it up. It's easier to to add a pint of oil every 3k miles than fix the problem... But no, the 2uz-fe has 245k miles and doesn't leak a drop. 6k mile synthetic oil changes, the level on the dipstick doesn't budge. Toyota made a good engine.

FWIW I run castrol GTX high mileage full synthetic, the green bottle. Changing a grumpy sounding subaru to the stuff made it stop clattering so bad. Although I think it was running whatever the cheapest poo poo you can buy at walmart is, motorcraft or whatever.

You may want to read again, gtx high mileage is a synthetic blend. The castrol full synthetic high mileage is the edge high mileage in a black bottle. :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Lawnmower + moron chat: my mom deep-fried a weedeater by buying injector cleaner instead of 2-stroke oil to mix into the gas. I guess the bottles were on the same shelf or something.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Minor electrical failure: Here's what happens to the port of an iPhone if you attempt to charge it after it was dropped in water.

Phone me still works great though!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Lawnmower + moron chat: my mom deep-fried a weedeater by buying injector cleaner instead of 2-stroke oil to mix into the gas. I guess the bottles were on the same shelf or something.

Oh man, any chance we can get a post-mortem on that motor? I'm morbidly curious as to what that would do to it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I'd imagine it would just seize from a lack of lubrication, like any time you run a 2-stroke without oil.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

chrisgt posted:

I run the same thing in my grumpy 240k mile EJ25D for the same reason. It sounds a lot happier than it did on the generic Chevron oil my dad was putting in it before. Still leaks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shifty Pony posted:

Minor electrical failure: Here's what happens to the port of an iPhone if you attempt to charge it after it was dropped in water.

Phone me still works great though!

Does the iPhone really not have water sensors? My mom dropped her samsung note whatever in the pool and it told her to unplug the phone until it dried.