Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fridge corn posted:

HZD is very small and light on content compared to a game like witcher 3

Yeah for sure but it didn't suck me in. Witcher 3 wouldn't let me leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Witcher is Too Long.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've only ever 100%ed one open world game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Sweet jesus :stonklol:.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I never did get round to finishing Witcher 3, I enjoyed the combat system more than most seemed to but the complexity of the world and the richness of the story just didn't click with me. Its an incredibly well made game but if the narrative doesn't draw you in then the games main strength is kinda lost.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I fell off W3 hard after 40 hours and never returned. Just too many small annoyances. Then I started playing Horizon and noticed several of the same flaws and abandoned ship after reaching the capital.

GoW is pretty good though. A little too much to do for the amount of actual content, but it's still balanced well enough for me to probably Platinum it. I'm not sure I'll finish Niefelheim though.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

exquisite tea posted:

That's not really the case in Horizon. The only area you're outright blocked off from exploring once you cross Daytower is Sunfall. Everywhere else you can go. You can do all the cauldrons and hunting challenges before you even reach Meridian, if you really wanted.

My advice would be to just follow the main storyline and stop to do whatever sidequests you like along the way, since the game eventually takes you to every corner of the map.

Nah, I made the mistake of trying to clear out most of the map of everything before heading to Meridian that first time and there are quite a few places you'll see and go "Wow, that looks neat" or "I wonder whats in there" and it's just an empty area because you haven't gotten the quest that'll trigger people being there. Which is kinda annoying like the 3rd or 4th time. As for outright blocked off I ran into the area that leads to GAIA PRIME and thought it was the neatest looking thing yet. Climb up there only to not be able to find a way up at the 11th hour because they delete a ladder right before Sylens workshop . It makes sense because boy that'd be the wrong thing to stumble upon before you knew what was up but it was one of those "Oh, so I climbed up here for nothing" moments.

That advice is solid though. Just let the main quests take you along.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Still haven't finished my witcher 3 playthrough - at 125 hours or something? Not sure

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Incidentally my gf calls every horse she sees "Roach" now

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

I'm sure Days Gone will be cool for people who like that kind of game but nothing about it really grabs me. If they replaced the lead with a chick w/bow then maybe we'd have something going on.

me2

I’ll still buy it if it seems good but yeaaaah more bow ladies

Bow ladies should become a Sony signature

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is vr still worth it on a slim? kowloon looks interesting plus i'm getting that re7 itch again (already blasted through it 4 times on pc on launch week tho) and some of the other vr games look cool but i imagine a pro vr is where it's at.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vikar Jerome posted:

is vr still worth it on a slim? kowloon looks interesting plus i'm getting that re7 itch again (already blasted through it 4 times on pc on launch week tho) and some of the other vr games look cool but i imagine a pro vr is where it's at.

If there's no problem affording a Pro, then that'll help clear up visuals on a lot of games. Definitely not a must-have though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The amount of excellent games released over the past few years is seriously mind-boggling, to the point where I still have to play The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0 (then maybe Kiwami and 6 if I like it), Dark Souls Remastered, God of War, Nier: Automata, The Last Guardian... :psyduck:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The amount of excellent games released over the past few years is seriously mind-boggling, to the point where I still have to play The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0 (then maybe Kiwami and 6 if I like it), Dark Souls Remastered, God of War, Nier: Automata :psyduck:

Drop everything if you spot bloodborne and old hunters in a sale.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I actually picked it up on sale a while ago and it's sitting in my library. I'm going to finish Nioh and its DLC first, then switch gears to SOMA so I don't burn myself out on Souls-type RPGs, then probably play Bloodborne. I lost interest in games for a couple years until MGSV and Hitman got me back onboard, and the consequence is one hell of a backlog.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JBP posted:

Drop everything if you spot bloodborne and old hunters in a sale.

they just were. i got old hunters for 6 quid on psn big in japan sale and picked up bloodborne on ebay for 5.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's a bargain at full price to my mind but not everyone loves it right away.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Iv been slow to really warm to yakuza 0 after my GF got it for my birthday when it came out Iv been playing it in little bites. Just got to the fight with Lee where he starts yelling GOD FIST! and trying to put that god fist on you.

I screamed out loud: "This game rules!"

also I spent like 4 hours playing the creepy hostess minigame because its basically a Kairosoft game on your ps4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

homeless snail posted:

The best ones are stories that call them "zeds", like what does the Z stand for idk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqNQbdD3kLw

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also is Kiwami as good as 0 or 6? I think I will probably skip it if not cause I'll burn out but I'll deffo get 6 after this.

Man, I finally found a use for my switch (portable FIFA machine on the train) but the ps4 has a loving crazy amount of god tier console exclusives in comparison.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh my god usually the Lego games are good for an easy plat/100% but this one was nooooooooooope. I beat the game and left it at that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Love getting lagstabbed constantly in this Dark Souls remaster :cool:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m glad the experience of true dark souls got carried over.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Also is Kiwami as good as 0 or 6? I think I will probably skip it if not cause I'll burn out but I'll deffo get 6 after this.

Man, I finally found a use for my switch (portable FIFA machine on the train) but the ps4 has a loving crazy amount of god tier console exclusives in comparison.

it's worth playing but it's a ps2 game and it shows; 0 is much better. the sub stories in particular are way better

kinda felt like a dlc expansion to 0 honestly

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How are you playing that already?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BrainParasite posted:

How are you playing that already?

Network test is today

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Real hurthling! posted:

Sony bend just did a bunch of game informer preview vids for days gone. They say they arent a big part of e3 this year so they are getting their exposure now i guess.

Early 2019
Open world action rpg
Bike maintenance and upgrades
Outpost taking/ base fortifying
Dynamic weather/emergent gameplay
Etc.

So its win win either you are looking forward to the game and you learn its coming along smoothly for a marchish release or you dont care about the game and you can rest easy free from fear that a 3rd 5 min hype trailer for another zombie game is putting a damper on this years conference.

it looks funnish enough. i like dynamic/emergent stuff. and i have a soft spot for the "infected" type zombie. plus star killers high pitched screams and yell gently caress are funny.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/05/10/watch-the-first-hour-of-days-gone.aspx

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was actually pretty surprised when I played the first Dead Rising a couple of weeks ago and they straight up called them zombies.

Regarding Days Gone, I'm getting a very strong Mad Max vibe from it. Meaning I don't think it will be bad but just won't have anything that'll make it stand out enough to be a must-play, more of a "wait until it's 75% off" thing.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

The Witcher is Too Long.

not long enough

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dead Rising 1 rules so much. One of the first games I played last gen. Aside from improving the godawful AI it's too bad they never quite got the magic back. I love Frank West, there's something about him in 1 and Off the Record that just makes you root for him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I like this thread, everyone's chill and positive and not in that creepy disingenuous hugbox way so I'm gonna hang here a bit hello :tipshat:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wrote off detroit become human but the demo is actually kinda cool

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

I like this thread, everyone's chill and positive and not in that creepy disingenuous hugbox way so I'm gonna hang here a bit hello :tipshat:

Please do! We try to love all games as best as we can and I encourage it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I would love to play a reboot of the original Quake maintaining the Lovecraftian horror elements and NIN music.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The madmax comparison to daysgone seems apt. Its looking like a fusion of farcry openworld with vehicle tuning. If the combat is as frantic and arcadey as the first trailer and you arent spending the whole game clearing human outposts like hzd gets bogged down with, it could be cool. If its full of boring encounters im passing. We'll know a week ahead of launch at least based on how sonys embargoes have been workin.

nachos posted:

I wrote off detroit become human but the demo is actually kinda cool

Yeah the demo is awesome i got 4/6 endings in one sitting and got real into it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good to be back 😎

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

JBP posted:

Neither they're both boring grinds with bad gameplay.

this!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like people itt had the exact same reactions to horizon and god of war pre release as they do days gone. well, maybe a little more positive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not me, my gamer instincts for Horizon and God of War were both "I extremely want to play this" and I was rewarded for my unwavering faith with two great games. Days Gone not so much. Maybe it will be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was making GBS threads on Horizon hard before it came out and it proved me totally wrong so from then on I decided to be optimistic about games.