Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This makes me wonder

Using this case as an example, if the girl from 22 years ago who decided not to testify changes her mind now and comes forward, would there be a court case? Does not testifying make it so you can’t ever again? It seems like you should be able to but I dont know if there’s a statute of limitations or whatever on this kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
All I know is that the writers for L&O: SVU are all over this poo poo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

This makes me wonder

Using this case as an example, if the girl from 22 years ago who decided not to testify changes her mind now and comes forward, would there be a court case? Does not testifying make it so you can’t ever again? It seems like you should be able to but I dont know if there’s a statute of limitations or whatever on this kind of stuff.

Convicting just on testimony alone is very unlikely, so there would have to have been physical evidence as well, signs of a force in, rape kit, evidence of physical abuse, etc...

Odds are after 20 years, if it existed, it was probably destroyed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Joey Freshwater posted:

This makes me wonder

There are statutes of limitation on most crimes. It’s why Cosby could only be charged with some of his most recent assaults.

My personal guess is a bag man paid her off and that’s how this all went away. Don’t forget that the assaulters were 21 and 22 and posted $20k bonds right after being arrested.

Further, if her testimony was the only evidence, i doubt the grand jury brings indictment. There was certainly more evidence to support the claim that we’ll never see.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Fire him Lions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scipiotik posted:

Fire him Lions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Putting aside ethics for a moment I really don't see what the "right" route is for the Lions on this. Keeping Patricia around really hurts the team's reputation with a subset of fans (the people screaming about kneeling have already convinced themselves Patricia is innocent, but they're only a minority), but you can't fire him with three months until the preseason without throwing a shitload of stuff into chaos. There's no one left to hire, unless the team promotes Cooter in Patricia's place.

The team has put out statements supporting Patricia, though, so it looks like the Lions are gonna stick with him unless public outcry becomes loud enough that they can't ignore it. In all likelihood I'm expecting a Roethlisberger situation, really.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are statutes of limitation on most crimes. It’s why Cosby could only be charged with some of his most recent assaults.

My personal guess is a bag man paid her off and that’s how this all went away. Don’t forget that the assaulters were 21 and 22 and posted $20k bonds right after being arrested.

Further, if her testimony was the only evidence, i doubt the grand jury brings indictment. There was certainly more evidence to support the claim that we’ll never see.

JFC they probably used a bail bondsman who puts up the money for you, what is this insane theory crafting

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Putting aside ethics for a moment I really don't see what the "right" route is for the Lions on this. Keeping Patricia around really hurts the team's reputation with a subset of fans (the people screaming about kneeling have already convinced themselves Patricia is innocent, but they're only a minority), but you can't fire him with three months until the preseason without throwing a shitload of stuff into chaos. There's no one left to hire, unless the team promotes Cooter in Patricia's place.

The team has put out statements supporting Patricia, though, so it looks like the Lions are gonna stick with him unless public outcry becomes loud enough that they can't ignore it. In all likelihood I'm expecting a Roethlisberger situation, really.

Lmao the guy who would replace him got in trouble in college for drunkenly crawling into the wrong sorority girls house then bed.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
No worries Lions fans, I'm putting together a helpful pamphlet entitled "how to root for a rapist". Post your addresses and I will mail them out when I am done

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I mean... firing someone because he was indicted 20+ years ago is an overreaction.

Is he never allowed to hold a job again? It's not like he's going to be teaching kindergarten or something.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

No worries Lions fans, I'm putting together a helpful pamphlet entitled "how to root for a rapist". Post your addresses and I will mail them out when I am done

It’s easy. You just ignore their existence by attributing whatever good thing happened to the player on the other side.

Jameis scrambles for a bit until Evans gets open and makes a catch for a first down?

Go Evans! Great play!

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007

Hizawk posted:

gently caress my teams rapist coach.

I tolerared Suh because at least he was punished for his bullshit.

I'd rather have Caldwell back.

Also, not buying any Detroit lions gear anymore or seeing their games live.

I don't think anything Suh ever did comes anywhere close to this.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Slowpoke! posted:

Not sure how background checks work, but would this have shown up on one if he was not convicted? I guess you can’t fault them for not hiring a PI to go to his hometown and sift through microfilm at the library. Sucks for the Lions. If they cut ties with him they are hosed this season, and if they don’t and he is convicted it will look awful.

Also I’m gonna go ahead and blame this one on Bill Belichick. I feel like this is some Batman Justice League poo poo where Bill has a briefcase with a list of all of his ally’s weaknesses hidden in a cave under his house, just in case he needs to kill one of their careers.

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/994550942170271744

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Grand jury no less.

Man I have never not hated that guy but he's just a turd onion... endlessly more poo poo after layer of poo poo

Grand juries will indict literally anything a prosecutor wants them to

not a great bar there

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mean... firing someone because he was indicted 20+ years ago is an overreaction.

Is he never allowed to hold a job again? It's not like he's going to be teaching kindergarten or something.

I'm firing him for that and because he lied when he didn't mention that he was accused of rape during his job interview in the era of #metoo. That to me shows he lacks the integrity and judgment to run an NFL team regardless of whether he was guilty.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Grand juries will indict literally anything a prosecutor wants them to

not a great bar there

People really confuse the two all the drat time.

“Wait its a GRAND jury?! Whoa! Sounds like he’s 100% guilty!” When about 80% of prosecutors get indictments

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'd argue they should've promoted Cooter anyway. gently caress that rapist piece of poo poo, kick him to the curb.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

JFC they probably used a bail bondsman who puts up the money for you, what is this insane theory crafting

Bondsmen put up the bail for a fee usually 10% of the bail that is non-refundable. Most college age students on spring break aren’t flush with thousands of cash.

Regardless of how bail was posted and how the victim was silenced, there was enough evidence for a grand jury to indict them both in 1996 in Texas.

The most likely situation is they did something to that gal and for some reason she didn’t want to go to court. There are insane challenges against women even today to pursue rape charges because they get paraded around as a slut with their entire sexual history scrutinized as if that somehow justifies what happened to them. This is significantly better today than it was in 1996. Texas only got rid of the spousal-exception to their rape statutes in 1994.

Yeah my bag man guess is pulled out of my rear end. My hunch that patricia assaulted that girl is because in the majority of assault cases the guy did in fact assault the girl. False rape claims are an extreme outlier and a significant number of cases never go to trial because of the confrontation clause.

Nov 6, 2002

Scipiotik posted:

I'm firing him for that and because he lied when he didn't mention that he was accused of rape during his job interview in the era of #metoo. That to me shows he lacks the integrity and judgment to run an NFL team regardless of whether he was guilty.

I guess it's good you have high standards, but I think it's pretty naive to think anyone is telling their potential employer about a charge that ended up going nowhere over two decades ago.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
They shouldn't even have a trial. Jump straight to castrating Patricia. And remove his hands, just to make sure he can't digitally penetrate his victims.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

Not sure how background checks work, but would this have shown up on one if he was not convicted? I guess you can’t fault them for not hiring a PI to go to his hometown and sift through microfilm at the library. Sucks for the Lions. If they cut ties with him they are hosed this season, and if they don’t and he is convicted it will look awful.

Also I’m gonna go ahead and blame this one on Bill Belichick. I feel like this is some Batman Justice League poo poo where Bill has a briefcase with a list of all of his ally’s weaknesses hidden in a cave under his house, just in case he needs to kill one of their careers.

quote:

The News contacted Lions team president Rod Wood, and he told the paper that the team was unaware of the indictment when they hired Patricia because their background check only covered criminal convictions. But that statement doesn’t address just how easy it would have been for the Lions to find the indictment.

Deadspin found it in 30 seconds. Just plug Patricia’s name into the criminal record search function in Nexis, a ubiquitous public records database and the first step for most large organizations’ background research into any individual about whom information is sought. There’s no reason anyone working on background checks on behalf of the Lions wouldn’t have Nexis, if not something much more powerful. The results of the search can be seen above.

While the language of the charge is different—and Nexis can occasionally get details wrong—much of it lines up: the name, the birthdate, and the case number is the same as those cited in the News article. At the very least, it’s a flag to go pull this case file and see what happened, which the News did. The Detroit Lions, which Forbes estimates to be worth $1.7 billion? It sure seems like they didn’t.

https://deadspin.com/we-found-matt-patricia-s-sexual-assault-indictment-in-3-1825909467

Nov 6, 2002

I totally get the frustration over this. He looks completely guilty, and appears to have only gotten away because of how crummy the justice system is for victims of sex crimes. But... there is literally nothing to be done about it now. You can't have anyone who was ever charged with a crime blackballed, it's not fair for anyone and doesn't help the victim. All it does is feed people's unsatisfied need for punishment.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I guess it's good you have high standards, but I think it's pretty naive to think anyone is telling their potential employer about a charge that ended up going nowhere over two decades ago.

Then he can deal with the fallout which should be losing his job and being blackballed. Charge most definitely didn't go "nowhere" he was indicted and it went to jury selection. Then as is sadly typical in rape cases the victim didn't want to deal with being treated like poo poo by the court system.

Also I'm not being naive, i'm giving the Lions the reason they can use to fire his rapist rear end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I’ve been applying for a lot of jobs (:lol: don’t go to law school) and helping non-lawyer friends look for their own. I have had to fill out a lot of background check forms. Quite a few have asked about any arrest whether or not there were charges filed. Some limit only in the last 10 years. Some ask for all.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Edit nm this patricia thing is dirty I don't wanna touch it

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

He probably did it, no one knows if he did it for sure, people who can't even do their taxes are suddenly experts on legal proceedings

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Scipiotik posted:

Then he can deal with the fallout which should be losing his job and being blackballed. Charge most definitely didn't go "nowhere" he was indicted and it went to jury selection. Then as is sadly typical in rape cases the victim didn't want to deal with being treated like poo poo by the court system.

Also I'm not being naive, i'm giving the Lions the reason they can use to fire his rapist rear end.

You can't use this as proof considering, you know, prosecutors loving charge everybody they can

Maybe Patricia did rape a woman, I dunno. But saying he did based on a loving grand jury is ludicrous

Nov 6, 2002

Scipiotik posted:

You are still implying that a grand jury means anything.

The famous quote regarding grand juries is that any decent prosecutor can get one to indict a ham sandwich.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ve been applying for a lot of jobs (:lol: don’t go to law school) and helping non-lawyer friends look for their own. I have had to fill out a lot of background check forms. Quite a few have asked about any arrest whether or not there were charges filed. Some limit only in the last 10 years. Some ask for all.

I understand that but, would the Lions would have head coaching candidates filling out an application like they were hiring someone for a 9-5 job? Like, at that level, when someone's been in the league for as long as Patricia has, are they even still checking those boxes? I dunno. And if not, I guess that's on the Lions.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I doubt something like head coach of an NFL team is something that comes with application forms. More like "we'd like you to come work for us for a boatload of money, have your people call our people". The guy who writes the contract has to fill out forms. Not the guy the contract is for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I totally get the frustration over this. He looks completely guilty, and appears to have only gotten away because of how crummy the justice system is for victims of sex crimes. But... there is literally nothing to be done about it now. You can't have anyone who was ever charged with a crime blackballed, it's not fair for anyone and doesn't help the victim. All it does is feed people's unsatisfied need for punishment.

If he showed any type of contrition or anything, i’d be in a camp that would support his further employment as a head coach. As it is, he has zero credibility going forward on a variety of subjects. I firmly believe that if he was presented with a situation where one of his players assaulted someone and he has the ability to sweep it under the rug that he will, as he’s done with his own.

I don’t think he should be barred from employment because he did something heinous decades ago. I don’t think that an unrepentant rapist should be the head coach of a professional sports team any more than I think that Ben Roethlisberger should be a QB.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I understand that but, would the Lions would have head coaching candidates filling out an application like they were hiring someone for a 9-5 job? Like, at that level, when someone's been in the league for as long as Patricia has, are they even still checking those boxes? I dunno. And if not, I guess that's on the Lions.

If you’re giving a guy millions of dollars to be the public face of your organization you should do your due diligence in background investigation.

Nov 6, 2002

Considering how far the NFL is behind the rest of the country it would not be surprising if NONE of them - even in the era of #metoo - are asking relevant questions of candidates about sexual misconduct.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

You are still implying that a grand jury means anything.

The famous quote regarding grand juries is that any decent prosecutor can get one to indict a ham sandwich.

It means it didn't go "nowhere", your term. We all know how aggressively prosecutors pursue rape charges, especially against athletes, especially in Texas.

I think everyone involved in hiring him should probably be fired as well. They did not do their due diligence and they hired a rapist.

He can go get a job at dairy queen or something.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Lol if anyone thinks something happens to Patricia when Ben Roethlisberger exists already.

Doesn't matter if they did or didn't commit the crime, they'll only be impotently judged in the social courts. The league doesn't care because as long as there's no conviction they (and their fans) retain plausible deniability. There's no comeback to "well, he wasn't actually convicted" because it's true.

I dislike both of them anyway, the rape accusations are just another log on the fire.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 11, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Gonna be uncomfortable ITT when Big Ben is putting on a gold jacket. I think he probably did it, but I doubt this is the TX prosecutor going easy on an athlete from NY down for spring break.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like this feeds into the bigger picture of what you do to men who were caught in #metoo. It's easy to agree what they did was horrible. Do you let them rejoin society?

I guess I'm of the track that even people who do horrible things once get a chance again, albeit with limitations and some sort of remorse. People like Weinstein or Nassar don't as they consistently abused their power and had countless victims. I know sex offenders have a pretty low rate of reoffending so I don't necessarily believe that all of these men are irreedemable.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Chichevache posted:

They shouldn't even have a trial. Jump straight to castrating Patricia...

I think Nick Foles did a fine enough job of that already.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a new study bible! posted:

I think Nick Foles did a fine enough job of that already.
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am so glad everyone has reconsidered their thoughts on Big Ben and will no longer call him a rapist based on the fact no files charged.

• Locked thread