Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We live in a Hell world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Perestroika posted:

And as if to rub salt into the wound, Tim Allen's thoroughly garbage and racist show Last Man Standing was just revived and picked up for a new season on Fox.

Aeuhhh?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

This show is pretty much what I imagine TV would have been like in nazi germany

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

We live in a Hell world.

Tardcore posted:

This show is pretty much what I imagine TV would have been like in nazi germany

Title of your sex tape

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

I'm assuming the problem is (and I'm saying this as someone who likes the show, albeit I'm hesitant for this reason..) is that at the end of the day, it's still pro-police. Sure it's not Blue Bloods or SVU but even the "wow the nypd are hosed up" episodes are resolved pretty poorly. We have to suspend belief that this is the one department in the NYPD that doesn't do broken window policing, racial targeting, unlawful civil asset forfeiture etc.

It's kinda like how they say you can't truly make an antiwar movie. But that's a big debate that's probably not appropriate for this thread.

Yea I love B99 but I absolutely get someone saying 'hey maybe it's not super great to make a show where cops are a diverse cuddly bunch of lovable goofballs and silly little issues like systematic racism are overcome in the span of an episode with a simple 'hey...stop that...' resolution.

It's probably one of my favorite shows but it absolutely is pro-cop in a more 'soft' way than a show like Blue Bloods version where it's just "COPS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT AND LOOK AT THIS SIMPERING MINORITY COWARD TRYING TO STOP US DOING GOOD I BET THEY LOVE ISIS".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Perestroika posted:

And as if to rub salt into the wound, Tim Allen's thoroughly garbage and racist show Last Man Standing was just revived and picked up for a new season on Fox.

Link? I can't find anything confirming this, and the only thing keeping me being actively upset about B99's cancellation is that at least there's a chance it's replaced with something good. Like, B99 I think ran its course, because this season was kind of wearing thin on me, but if they cancelled it to make room for Tim Goddamn Allen, I will be incredibly angry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I only have 3 network shows left that I'll watch next season, (Superstore, AP Bio, and The Good Place)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

Link? I can't find anything confirming this, and the only thing keeping me being actively upset about B99's cancellation is that at least there's a chance it's replaced with something good. Like, B99 I think ran its course, because this season was kind of wearing thin on me, but if they cancelled it to make room for Tim Goddamn Allen, I will be incredibly angry.

I don't think it's official but they have been trying to get the rights for it and there's a slightly tinfoily theory that they're clearing out stuff like B99 and The Mick to make room for more conservative friendly things.

Or a less tinfoily, they're taking a hatchet all around to open space up for Disney stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Greek apparently. That shot is pretty dark lighting for the show.

catlord posted:

He's based visually on Telly Savalas, who was Greek.

What the gently caress

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I only have 3 network shows left that I'll watch next season, (Superstore, AP Bio, and The Good Place)

For me it's The Good Place, Blackish and.. poo poo. Grey's Anatomy & How To Get Away With Murder.

In my defense I'm mostly still watching Grey's because I've been watching it since I was 14, & for HTGAWM.. I just can't say no to Viola Davis.

RIP Joe Morton's amazing Scandal monologues.

Also add me to list of 90s kids who thought Lex Luthor was black/mixed. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

It's probably one of my favorite shows but it absolutely is pro-cop in a more 'soft' way than a show like Blue Bloods version where it's just "COPS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT AND LOOK AT THIS SIMPERING MINORITY COWARD TRYING TO STOP US DOING GOOD I BET THEY LOVE ISIS".

it's pro-cop in a way that targets millenials, instead of pro-cop in a way that targets boomers or Gen Xers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Koalas March posted:

For me it's The Good Place, Blackish and.. poo poo. Grey's Anatomy & How To Get Away With Murder.

In my defense I'm mostly still watching Grey's because I've been watching it since I was 14, & for HTGAWM.. I just can't say no to Viola Davis.

RIP Joe Morton's amazing Scandal monologues.

Also add me to list of 90s kids who thought Lex Luthor was black/mixed. 🤷🏾‍♀️

I’m worried about the Good Place a little bit. When Schur started making it B99 took a bit of a dive in quality, and now that he’s gotten a new one picked up I’m worried that something similar will happen.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Koalas March posted:

I'm assuming the problem is (and I'm saying this as someone who likes the show, albeit I'm hesitant for this reason..) is that at the end of the day, it's still pro-police. Sure it's not Blue Bloods or SVU but even the "wow the nypd are hosed up" episodes are resolved pretty poorly. We have to suspend belief that this is the one department in the NYPD that doesn't do broken window policing, racial targeting, unlawful civil asset forfeiture etc.

I like B99 because it's a fantasy show. I don't watch Westworld and think "there are actually human-quality androids in a theme park somewhere" and I don't watch B99 and think "there's a precinct somewhere where the cops are fundamentally good people". B99 shows the NYPD the way it could (and maybe should) be, not the way it is, and people shouldn't take it as a representation of reality any more than they take any other fantasy show.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's such a dumbass analogy I don't even know where to start

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked B99 because it made me laugh

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Maybe this is a good thing and they will finally make a nice show about Andre and Terry, two retired cops who go on fantastic adventures together through time and space.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SpacePig posted:

There's been no official announcement yet, but supposedly Allen just recently closed a deal to that effect: http://deadline.com/2018/05/last-man-standing-eyes-return-fox-tim-allen-1202379904/ . So we might just get lucky and the whole thing gets axed at the last moment.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

That's such a dumbass analogy I don't even know where to start

Maybe you could start with why you have trouble figuring out that fictional TV shows are fictional and present a world that isn't actually our own? :shrug:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I love B99 but I absolutely get someone saying 'hey maybe it's not super great to make a show where cops are a diverse cuddly bunch of lovable goofballs and silly little issues like systematic racism are overcome in the span of an episode with a simple 'hey...stop that...' resolution.

Wasn't the resolution to that racism episode that they complained about the racist cop and then the complaining guy didn't get his promotion or something.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I don't think it's official but they have been trying to get the rights for it and there's a slightly tinfoily theory that they're clearing out stuff like B99 and The Mick to make room for more conservative friendly things.

Or a less tinfoily, they're taking a hatchet all around to open space up for Disney stuff.

Rather than infoily, probably just about the regular ol' bottom line. According to Deadline, Brooklyn Nine-Nine was the only comedy show on Fox's schedule they didn't own. They're probably just making room for their own shows.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Besesoth posted:

Maybe you could start with why you have trouble figuring out that fictional TV shows are fictional and present a world that isn't actually our own? :shrug:

Police aren’t real like orcs :hai:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Last Man Standing being revived by Fox is probably just as good as it not existing at all. Hardcore conservatives might watch the season premiere to own the libs, but once Fox arbitrarily changes its schedule, they'll forget about it and switch back to the constant stream of Fox News.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Besesoth posted:

I'm sorry to break this to you but media heavily effects people's perceptions. While people logically know it is fake in the sense it's written and acted etc it still impacts opinions and poo poo.

NRA randos on rascals still think they can cowboy up and stop a random shooter like Clint Eastwood. On the other side, shows like Will & Grace helped humanize gay people.

Media's impact on society is one of the reasons representation is so important. It's something I talk about a lot because it's important to me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Besesoth posted:

Oh thank God cops don't exist in the real world.
I saw this one TV show that had these guys called "surgeons" that like cut people up? Hopefully they are pretend too cause that seems scary

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Haven't there been cases of people on juries not accepting police evidence because they thought they knew about forensics from TV?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I saw these guys talking about how blue lives matter, I didn't have the heart to tell them. It's almost sad like when a way too old kid still believes in Santa Claus

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Haven't there been cases of people on juries not accepting police evidence because they thought they knew about forensics from TV?

It's called the CSI Effect.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/csi-effect-1669447

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

f there's anything the Unnerving Article thread has taught me it's that a ton of forensics is pretty much bullshit.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Koalas March posted:

I'm sorry to break this to you but media heavily effects people's perceptions. While people logically know it is fake in the sense it's written and acted etc it still impacts opinions and poo poo.

NRA randos on rascals still think they can cowboy up and stop a random shooter like Clint Eastwood. On the other side, shows like Will & Grace helped humanize gay people.

Media's impact on society is one of the reasons representation is so important. It's something I talk about a lot because it's important to me.

Of course it does. I'm saying that B99 is trying to affect people's perceptions by showing a precinct the way it should and could be instead of the way it is (and contrasting it with the way actual the actual police behave), just like Westworld is trying to affect people's perceptions by showing the interactions of the wealthy and powerful with a subjugated class.

Every time law enforcement outside of the 99th precinct is shown, it's a shitshow. Police corruption is literally the second episode of the series. Federal agencies are shown in a terrible light, the NYPD always punishes doing the right thing, and every single person held up by any of the characters as a hero turns out to be a venal disaster.

The 99 is a fiction, and it's a fiction used to illustrate how damaged the law enforcement community is and how it could be different (through positive change and putting the right people in the job). Westworld is a fiction used to illustrate how damaged class relations are and how they could be different (through murder and insurrection).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I thought it was about cowboy robots.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, but they're not accurate-to-life robot cowboys. They're idealized as an example of what robot cowboys should be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cowboy robots that kill the rich are the best version of cowboy robots.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Besesoth posted:

Of course it does. I'm saying that B99 is trying to affect people's perceptions by showing a precinct the way it should and could be instead of the way it is (and contrasting it with the way actual the actual police behave), just like Westworld is trying to affect people's perceptions by showing the interactions of the wealthy and powerful with a subjugated class.

Every time law enforcement outside of the 99th precinct is shown, it's a shitshow. Police corruption is literally the second episode of the series. Federal agencies are shown in a terrible light, the NYPD always punishes doing the right thing, and every single person held up by any of the characters as a hero turns out to be a venal disaster.

The 99 is a fiction, and it's a fiction used to illustrate how damaged the law enforcement community is and how it could be different (through positive change and putting the right people in the job). Westworld is a fiction used to illustrate how damaged class relations are and how they could be different (through murder and insurrection).

I realize this is a foreign concept to a person with Steven Universe avatar but most people don't write dissertations about TV shows examining their possible sociopolitical implications and just like watching the show about the nice police officers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I’ve never even seen it I just wanted to pass on that news in the :can: -iest way

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

I realize this is a foreign concept to a person with Steven Universe avatar but most people don't write dissertations about TV shows examining their possible sociopolitical implications and just like watching the show about the nice police officers

Given that this started with me saying "I like B99 because" and then giving reasons why I, personally, like B99, I'm not sure who you think you're owning here, but it sure isn't me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Besesoth posted:

Given that this started with me saying "I like B99 because" and then giving reasons why I, personally, like B99, I'm not sure who you think you're owning here, but it sure isn't me.

the point is not everyone who watches tv thinks about it as critically as us internet dorks

you're downplaying the idea that people can be influenced by media because you think you personally don't get influenced by it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone is influenced by it, you can’t choose not to be

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Volcott posted:

I thought it was about cowboy robots.

my friend, you can gently caress them robots

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Brother Entropy posted:

the point is not everyone who watches tv thinks about it as critically as us internet dorks

you're downplaying the idea that people can be influenced by media because you think you personally don't get influenced by it

If I had ended my original post with "...people shouldn't take it as a representation of reality any more than they take any other fantasy show, and I'm sad that they do", would it help you to understand a little better? I've got a thread full of people insisting that I said something I didn't actually say and I'd like to know how to communicate my actual intent better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Besesoth posted:

If I had ended my original post with "...people shouldn't take it as a representation of reality any more than they take any other fantasy show, and I'm sad that they do", would it help you to understand a little better? I've got a thread full of people insisting that I said something I didn't actually say and I'd like to know how to communicate my actual intent better.

That would completely change your point so yes I think it would have helped.