Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Earwicker posted:

yeah no poo poo, but i think the point here is that this specific move being made by NIN makes the situation worse (while coming with a bunch of bullshit about making it better). for a guy that has so often framed himself as fighting "the industry" in various ways it just rings really hollow. i mean yeah, obviously we live in a capitalist society and that governs how music and ticket sales work, but some artists try to work around that and make things more accessible for their fans to varying degrees. this is kind of the opposite

It's just lip service. Ever see how expensive Pearl Jam tickets are these days? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Barry posted:

It's just lip service. Ever see how expensive Pearl Jam tickets are these days? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

And I think it's still valid for people to be annoyed when new things come about that warrant a "aw fuckin' hell, c'mon" response. Sure, it's lip service, it's capitalism, it's whatever, but it's also still lovely. It's one thing to ship an underwhelming LP package and charge too much for it, it's another to give the finger to, say, the disabled.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 11, 2018

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The website did say that ADA tickets would be on sale during the online sale of whatever is left. It's possible they'll be holding the same amount they usually do.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Barry posted:

obviously its just lip service, but as a fan of NIN it frankly kind of makes me less of one. there are plenty of other good artists to see for far less. the smug attitude with which they announced this really doesnt help

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Barry posted:

Aragon show is apparently $99.50 + fees. No thanks.

:laffo: gently caress off Trent. If you're going to do that don't make me request a day off work to get tickets, scalpers won't be able to mark them much higher than that, maybe $150.

Edit: ok it's a Saturday but even if I would pay that, I have poo poo I can't move that morning. God drat Trent, what a poo poo mirror.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 11, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing there are people that don't necessarily need ADA seats but still can't stand in a line for 2+ hours

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

and also many people who just can't afford to do that. the hours standing in line (and in many cases, travelling to the venue) become part of the ticket price, and for many people that's either a significant financial blow due to lost hours, or simply not an option at all

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
There are no shows any where near me but I'd be willing to fly out for a show but to fly out to maybe buy tickets if they're not sold out and then fly out again to see the actual show? gently caress that. I'll try and snag just about any ticket when they're available online but I'm not holding my breath.

If Trent actually comes out and says he'd be willing to do that sort of horse poo poo then OK, I'll let it slide. But really, does anyone think Trez is going to stand in some loving line in this day and age? How's about instead of standing in line to buy tickets before the event he just sells tickets at the door the day of? If the venues are big enough they probably won't sell out.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Earwicker posted:

obviously its just lip service, but as a fan of NIN it frankly kind of makes me less of one. there are plenty of other good artists to see for far less. the smug attitude with which they announced this really doesnt help

Look at this rear end in a top hat who doesn't value HUMAN CONTACT

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
There do seem to be big chunks of time between the announced shows, so I'm guessing more shows will be added later. If not, I guess I've seen my last NIN show already. Ticket prices are absurd though.

There is plenty of human contact at the shows themselves. Standing in line isn't some social event.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Also how does this new release match up with the other two? I thought this was some sort of thematic trilogy. Am I missing something?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Also how does this new release match up with the other two? I thought this was some sort of thematic trilogy. Am I missing something?

Seeing as we haven't heard it, how do you expect anyone to know?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

There is a much more enjoyable way to get outside and be in contact with other people who share similar interests, and its possible to experience with every band that still tours... it's called going to the show. There is nothing exciting about standing in line for several hours, knowing there is a strong possibility you will go home empty handed because somebody with nothing better to do got there earlier. At least when you stand in line for the actual show, you have peace of mind that you already have your ticket in hand, and in just a short while you're guaranteed to get in.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm probably too forgiving -- and speaking from a stage of life where I don't really expect to go to concerts for a few years anyway so I have no skin in the game -- but I do think he's trying to do something good for the fans, yet is also very out of touch. As cool as he generally is, the dude's rich. Ticketmaster, LiveNation, etc. are all absolute garbage and should be nuked from orbit. But if he really wants to fix the situation he would probably be better off investing in some kind of new electronic ticketing system. Which of course sounds boring as hell, but this is probably a case where you either put in that effort or don't bother rocking the status quo at all.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
My wife said that Kenny Chesney had some anti-bot system for his tickets, and it worked great. Solutions already exist.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm probably too forgiving -- and speaking from a stage of life where I don't really expect to go to concerts for a few years anyway so I have no skin in the game -- but I do think he's trying to do something good for the fans, yet is also very out of touch. As cool as he generally is, the dude's rich. Ticketmaster, LiveNation, etc. are all absolute garbage and should be nuked from orbit. But if he really wants to fix the situation he would probably be better off investing in some kind of new electronic ticketing system. Which of course sounds boring as hell, but this is probably a case where you either put in that effort or don't bother rocking the status quo at all.

I am pretty sure the problem is that the venues decide which ticket company to go with, and they get the most money out of the Ticketmaster. So there is absolutely no incentive for arenas to switch to a little startup. Unless every major band decides to boycott arenas and only play small indie venues, then nothing will change.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

polyester concept posted:

Unless every major band decides to boycott arenas and only play small indie venues, then nothing will change.

this is why i have pretty much stopped going to see artists who are as popular as NIN and play the arena circuit. there is so, so much good live music out there where you don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense. to me, its getting harder to justify.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Earwicker posted:

this is why i have pretty much stopped going to see artists who are as popular as NIN and play the arena circuit. there is so, so much good live music out there where you don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense. to me, its getting harder to justify.
In a lot of places, they're not playing arena or stadium venues. They're playing two Detroit shows at the Fox Theater, which is a seating-only venue that fits 5,000... Not a club tour spot, for sure, but a really puzzling choice nonetheless.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
These venues aren't really arenas though.

Edit: beaten

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The majority of the shows I've been to over the past few years have sold tickets through AXS, TicketWeb, TicketFly, Eventbrite, etc. or through the venue directly. Granted, most of them weren't for artists anywhere near as big as NIN, but a lot of those shows also didn't have any issues with scalpers/StubHub despite many of them selling out.

There are other ways this could have been handled. It just feels like they didn't really try to find a good alternative solution here and instead just went back to how things were done decades ago when NIN was in their heyday.

I'm all for meeting new NIN fans and discussing similar interests, but yeah, this pretty much sums up my thoughts perfectly:

polyester concept posted:

There is a much more enjoyable way to get outside and be in contact with other people who share similar interests, and its possible to experience with every band that still tours... it's called going to the show. There is nothing exciting about standing in line for several hours, knowing there is a strong possibility you will go home empty handed because somebody with nothing better to do got there earlier. At least when you stand in line for the actual show, you have peace of mind that you already have your ticket in hand, and in just a short while you're guaranteed to get in.

Sir Lemming posted:

I really wish thread titles could be long enough for "NINE INCH NAILS HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER, LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST AND GOOD TIMES.**"
I'm gonna try anyway, goddamnit! :lol: It's too perfect to pass up

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 11, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Earwicker posted:

This my thing as well, I never go to big shows anymore because of Ticketmaster. I bought tickets to Dota events through it and its a huge hassle, I end just calling ticketmaster and buying through the phone since its an easier experience.

Big arena shows cost a bunch of money, I just view it as a consequence for playing at a place like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This my thing as well, I never go to big shows anymore because of Ticketmaster. I bought tickets to Dota events through it and its a huge hassle, I end just calling ticketmaster and buying through the phone since its an easier experience.

Big arena shows cost a bunch of money, I just view it as a consequence for playing at a place like that.
Queens of the Stone Age played here like 2 weeks ago at the same theater NIN's going to be playing, and I really wanted to go, not so much for Queens (because I hate their newest album) but for Wolf Alice who was opening for them. I looked on Ticketmaster months ago and there were no seats available, though it didn't say the event was sold out. The official Facebook event for it didn't say it was sold out either. I don't know if they did a similar thing to NIN where they had a presale that sold out and then released a limited quantity of tickets much closer to the show or what.

In any case, I ended up not going, though the tickets probably would've been roughly the same price as NIN's since it's the same theater, so I probably couldn't have afforded to go anyway.

I really wish I'd been able to see Queens live years ago, though, like during the Like Clockwork era or anytime before that :smith:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ministry ran a show in austin a couple years back and ticket prices were $69.69 i gotta applaud em on that one

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Who the hell wrote the NIN has always been about good times and bringing people together? That has to be a joke on someone’s part. Just on the face of it, that’s a ridiculous statement.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Who the hell wrote the NIN has always been about good times and bringing people together? That has to be a joke on someone’s part. Just on the face of it, that’s a ridiculous statement.

Trent may be a grumpy old man, but he's always had a pretty solid sense of humor.

(The asterisks are part of the original statement too.)

quote:

**NOT ENTIRELY TRUE

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 11, 2018

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I recently bought tickets to the Slayer farewell tour since the venue is close and they were reasonably priced for so many bands, but I had to go through LiveNation to get them. Holy hell, I am never doing that again.

Aside from paying the $20 in handling fees, I had to click through two screen of additional "offers" to actually order, then got something like five popups offering me coupons and poo poo if I just gave them all of my personal information, just so I could print my tickets (because I'm not paying another $5 to get them mailed to me).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Living in a place that basically never gets tour stops for anything, I'm removed enough to marvel at how there was a time I never would have pegged Trent Reznor to end up going full dad like this. I'm impressed he didn't tell us to go clean our rooms at the end.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Fist gently caress, bucko!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Molestationary Store posted:

Fist gently caress, bucko!

"91% of those who listened to poo poo Mirror are men. Why so few women?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/995129252264665089

It begins :cawg:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 12, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Trent has been getting progressively lamer over the past few years so this latest move isn't at all surprising. I'd call it disappointing but that would require me to have decent expectations of him anymore.

The guy who once considered a temporal internet experience to be not just advertising but legitimately "part of the album," who released albums entirely on his own online, who - let's face it - basically paved the way for how internet 2.0 could handle music both in a artistic and business sense, is now telling people that they have to buy tickets in person, to "turn your loving phone off" when you listen to his music, and that his records are "ten bucks or go gently caress yourself." The $300 collector's edition of Hesitation Marks doesn't even include the album.

He's still an absurdly talented musician but I feel no shame in calling the dude out of touch or even a sellout at this point.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Keep in mind he was really grumpy about Napster at first too. Eventually he came to grips with it and, perhaps inadvertently, became a poster child for fair digital distribution of music. It's hard to say how much of that was a willingness to change and how much was just seeing the writing on the wall.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pirate Jet posted:

The $300 collector's edition of Hesitation Marks doesn't even include the album.
I can’t find anything about a collector’s edition, what was this if it doesn’t have the album?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/daleweisinger/status/994608967312723968

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.

david_a posted:

I can’t find anything about a collector’s edition, what was this if it doesn’t have the album?

Cargo In The Blood, which was an art book:

http://www.nin.wiki/Hesitation_Marks#Cargo_In_The_Blood

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Keep in mind he was really grumpy about Napster at first too. Eventually he came to grips with it and, perhaps inadvertently, became a poster child for fair digital distribution of music. It's hard to say how much of that was a willingness to change and how much was just seeing the writing on the wall.

Didn't he also have an Oink account? And sorta defend it after it was shut down?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Symetrique posted:

Didn't he also have an Oink account? And sorta defend it after it was shut down?
He uploaded like dozens of gigs worth of high def pro-shot tour footage onto torrent sites (Oink might've been ground zero for that) for what would've been used on a commercially released live DVD for the Lights in the Sky tour after the label pulled out and the plans for that release fell through and that's what This One Is On Us ended up being. Some fans edited it together to be the closest approximation of what that full concert film would've been, and it rules.

But it's like...the same guy who did that less than a decade ago is now pulling boneheaded moves like this :confused:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But it's like...the same guy who did that less than a decade ago is now pulling boneheaded moves like this :confused:

he makes moves out of reaction and anger. (which is kind of obvious in his lyrics anyway)

when he was putting poo poo online for free a decade ago, it wasn't because he thought it was the right thing to do, or even really because he thought it would somehow turn into a viable business model. it was "gently caress the labels", not because the labels are some immoral bad force but because he has had so much personal beef and legal battles with labels and representatives over the years

and then the saul williams record failed to sell and putting his own stuff online for free didnt really result in any kind of substantial gain for him so he got bitter about the online world he once was so determined to use

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 12, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He uploaded like dozens of gigs worth of high def pro-shot tour footage onto torrent sites (Oink might've been ground zero for that) for what would've been used on a commercially released live DVD for the Lights in the Sky tour after the label pulled out and the plans for that release fell through and that's what This One Is On Us ended up being. Some fans edited it together to be the closest approximation of what that full concert film would've been, and it rules.

Another Version of the Truth is loving amazing as both a video and an album. It's easily my #1-played NIN album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I went to see a well-knownish band play their seminal album in its entirety and the singer literally started the set with "hey so we heard the ticket site charged everyone $6 extra on our $20 tickets so everyone here gets a free poster we printed up" which makes me lol when compared to this ticket strategy.