Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

god i hate larpers

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyChecker posted:

"All my money is spent"?

The Early Modern version of "Cash Rules Everything Around Me".

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cossacks. Cossacks never change.

ChubbyChecker posted:

"All my money is spent"?

A semantic translation would be "I've wasted all my money", verspillt is a form of spill, which is just like english spill/spillage. He's flushed his cash with the bathwater, so to speak.

HEY GUNS posted:

then take out your own sword or pole your way up the pike with your hands to elbow the dude in the face

god i hate larpers

Hey, I was a larper! And I fought poorly, but I will never apologize for roleplaying. Anyway, came to cossackpost :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Hey, I was a larper! And I fought poorly, but I will never apologize for roleplaying. Anyway, came to cossackpost :3:
you can roleplay as a reenactor

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GUNS posted:

Just keep an eye out for those who roleplay a little too hard when reenacting certain conflicts.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tomn posted:

Just keep an eye out for those who roleplay a little too hard when reenacting certain conflicts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

then take out your own sword or pole your way up the pike with your hands to elbow the dude in the face

god i hate larpers

they're reenactors too, the history simply isn't real

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://youtu.be/Rl76rTxIyzI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FAUXTON posted:

they're reenactors too, the history simply isn't real

All reenactors are LARPers but not all LARPers are reenactors. Take that Hegel.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MANime in the sheets posted:

Somehow I don't think this was limited to Bad Cav Island

The Persians did it at Gaugemela when they were close to completely overrunning Parmenio's flank (the left I believe, consisted of allied cavalry such as the Thessalians, as well as Greek mercenary hoplites). Though some of them did supposedly try to rescue Darius's mother in the process who refused to come along.

For an infantry version you the the Ten Thousand durign the Cyrus the Younger's bid for the Persian throne who drove off the loyalist Persian forces facing them, pursued them for miles, then returned to find out Cyrus had been killed and the battle was lost. That one's kind of embarassing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

yeah but prince rupert is the guy who was like "chase the baggage train or win the english civil war. dat baggage train tho"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CoolCab posted:

yeah but prince rupert is the guy who was like "chase the baggage train or win the english civil war. dat baggage train tho"

prince rupert is the only decent cav in that whole loving war

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

if gustavus adolphus isn't watching us from the skies, my hauptmann is going to have to seriously reconsider his worldview

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

ChubbyChecker posted:

"All my money is spent"?
Is it implying like, "All my money is spent, so the sword comes out and I make more"?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rockopolis posted:

Is it implying like, "All my money is spent, so the sword comes out and I make more"?

I sigh as I unsheath my moneymaker

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
nah, the soldier without any money is a very common trope in the 16th century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-lHtOGJRB4

Es ging ein landsknecht uber feld
Er hat kein beutel noch kein geld...

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

P-Mack posted:

In the novel it least it was Shu that sets up a soldier-farmer system.

The Qing used similar kinds of military colonies to settle Han in places like Guizhou and Yunnan, it makes sense for occupation forces that you don't plan on sending long distances. And shipping food and supplies from elsewhere to a place like Guizhou would have been unaffordable given the transport costs so self sufficiency was crucial.

I feel like a lot of Chinese dynasties used similar methods. The soldier-farmers usually had their position made hereditary, and in each dynasty the system collapsed as soldiers desperately sought to avoid actually having to do anything military related. That or the land designated for soldiers was steadily absorbed by large aristocratic estates which inevitably challenged the authority of the Emperor.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

ChubbyChecker posted:

"All my money is spent"?

Even better, it's "all my money has been gambled away" :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

ver- and zer- are probably my fav prefixes

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The earliest recorded battle is the Battle of Kadesh, which featured the Hittites breaking through the Egyptian's lines, and then stopping to plunder Ramses's camp (which, admittedly, was pretty drat opulent), allowing Ramses to escape.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, "verspillt" is one of those false friends. It's an old form of "verspielt", which means "gambled away".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GUNS posted:

Can you actually do any kind of battlefield command as a re-enactor? Or is everything prescripted? Because that's a big chunk of why I LARP (spoilers: medieval level battlefield command without horses is hard as poo poo)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Libluini posted:

Yeah, "verspillt" is one of those false friends. It's an old form of "verspielt", which means "gambled away".

God, I really need to start learning German again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sullat posted:

The earliest recorded battle is the Battle of Kadesh, which featured the Hittites breaking through the Egyptian's lines, and then stopping to plunder Ramses's camp (which, admittedly, was pretty drat opulent), allowing Ramses to escape.

War, war never changes...

And thanks for the correct translation, I was sure that Google translate wasn't up for it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ah, it's from "spiel" of course! I stand corrected :pseudo: That's even better!

..that "il" gets into a lot of things up north( much like my diller :D)

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 11, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr Enderby posted:

God, I really need to start learning German again.

Interesting random fact: "verspillt" is still used in Luxemburgian dialect. It's meaning has deviated to "playful", if Google Translate is right.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

Interesting random fact: "verspillt" is still used in Luxemburgian dialect. It's meaning has deviated to "playful", if Google Translate is right.

not just Luxemburgian, though. A playful kitten is a verspielte Katze. (a cat that you have gambled away is also a verspielte Katze)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

not just Luxemburgian, though. A playful kitten is a verspielte Katze. (a cat that you have gambled away is also a verspielte Katze)

I was talking about the spelling, "verspillt" isn't used in modern German, except apparently for Luxemburgian

Edit:

I don't know enough about Luxemburgian to say if "verspillt" has both meanings, like our "verspielt"

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 11, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Probably too soon, but:

Military History Mk. III: (a cat that you have gambled away is also a verspielte Katze)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

By expanding it to include other two handed weapons, you've basically included pikes all the way back to who loving knows when. Even if you just mean swung weapons, the two handed axe's popularity in the early & high middle ages undermines your thesis. However, I certainly think that two handed *swords* had their heyday essentially in the period you describe, and for similar reasons.

If two-handed axes were popular, what offset their disadvantages in defense, especially against arrows (can't really block them with an axe)?

Where two handed warhammers a thing, too?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Libluini posted:

I was talking about the spelling, "verspillt" isn't used in modern German, except apparently for Luxemburgian

Edit:

I don't know enough about Luxemburgian to say if "verspillt" has both meanings, like our "verspielt"

Everybody knows that the Bavarian "verspuit" is best anyway :cool:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JcDent posted:

If two-handed axes were popular, what offset their disadvantages in defense, especially against arrows (can't really block them with an axe)?

I've seen some reasonably-informed-seeming analysis that such weapons (i.e. the Dane axe) were for elite troops in good armour for laying into large numbers of less trained and less armoured (or unarmoured) enemies. These axes were actually very light and handy weapons, and unlike say a spear, is unlikely to get stuck in the body of some poor sod.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 11, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Fangz posted:

I've seen some reasonably-informed-seeming analysis that such weapons (i.e. the Dane axe) were for elite troops in good armour for laying into large numbers of less trained and less armoured (or unarmoured) enemies. These axes were actually very light and handy weapons, and unlike say a spear, is unlikely to get stuck in the body of some poor sod.

AFAIK I know such weapons were for the chiefs bros, because you want well-fed experienced dudes using it.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

JcDent posted:

I think that has a lot to do with the use of the shield wall and also the lack of cavalry in the British isles. Also, we know that huscarls also carried shields from the Bayeux Tapestry and despite what game of thrones will tell you nobody ever fired arrows into their own soldiers, so when the axes come out arrows are considerably less of a threat.

Two handed warhammers fall under the broader category of poll axes, and are usually called axes or some variation of that in the sources.

Consider the image below from the fighting manual Fior di Battaglia. This is the associated text:
If my Middle Iron Gate is opposed by the Guard of the Lady, we both know each other’s game, for we have faced each other many, many times in battle with swords and with poleaxes. And let me tell you, what she claims she can do to me, I can do better against her. Also let me tell you that if I had a sword instead of a poleaxe, then I would thrust it into my opponent’s face as follows: when I am waiting in the Middle Iron Gate with my two-handed sword, if he attacked me with his poleaxe with a powerful downward strike from the Guard of the Lady, then I quickly advance forward striking him strongly under his poleaxe as I step off the line, and then I quickly grasp my sword in the middle with my left hand and make the thrust into his face. While there is little difference between we two guards, I am the more deceptive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Truly, goons have always been around.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So you carried a shield and some other weapon until you met the shield wall, then you... put the shield on your back and unsheathed the two-handed axe? Or did you just hold it in one hand, as that didn't matter that much before cutting time was upon you?

Also "Middle Iron Gate is opposed by the Guard of the Lady" - did European (weapon) fighting arts also have stances or whatever with names straight out of anime?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JcDent posted:

So you carried a shield and some other weapon until you met the shield wall, then you... put the shield on your back and unsheathed the two-handed axe? Or did you just hold it in one hand, as that didn't matter that much before cutting time was upon you?

Also "Middle Iron Gate is opposed by the Guard of the Lady" - did European (weapon) fighting arts also have stances or whatever with names straight out of anime?

Granted they probably sounded less weeby in the original Italian, but when you think of it they probably ran out of functional-yet-original names early on and didn't want to start loading their fightin' manuals with stuff that reads like it's describing heraldry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It probably came down to personal preference and the situation whether you carried a spear in addition and switched to the axe, whether you carried a shield and axe, whether you dispensed with the shield altogether, and so on. You could also have a shield bearer hold on to your stuff while you aren't using it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Libluini posted:

The evolution of this was to organize a cavalry force into different "Treffen" (sorry, don't know the English term for this): You would send in the first Treffen to charge and when their charge has lost momentum and the sword/mace/whatever phase begins, you send in the next Treffen for another shock. If used right, this repeatedly disrupting and hammering of the enemy was devastating.

Johann Sobieski III. used this to great effect when his charge broke the Turks when he relieved the second siege of Vienna. He and the cavalry under his command send four Treffen into the Ottoman army, which ended with them breaking after a Polish force overran the flag of the prophet. Which Kara Mustafa, the Turkish leader, had only brought out in the first place to rally his troops against the cavalry hammering them.

Probably the most effective translation in English would be squadron or troop. I think contemporaneously it would be called a banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I know I promised an effortpost on British antifascism, but it's probably not going to happen, because it's really not something I know a lot about, and i couldn't scrounge the litterature I needed :(

However, I have started a multi-part effortpost on the Swedish and Scandi neo-nazi movement, so if you want to venture into C-Spam (and I sure won't hold it against you if you don't), go check it out!