Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I pissed off a LARP once because instead of recognizing the brilliance of my berserker costume, they kept saying I was "drunk" and "not wearing any pants". Buncha joykills I tell you.

e: it's like I have a gift for pagesniping but only with really bad posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
congrats on taking us to page 1000

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
On the two-handed sword chat, how did guys carry those around? I get why the 'on the back' scabbard is impractical if you plan to need your weapon anytime soon but if zweihander dudes worked as bodyguards they'd need to have their weapons at hand, often within cities where a six foot hip scabbard is going to be a tripping hazard to everyone else nearby.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
As far as the looting chat goes, apparently the Red Army had a pretty thorough system during WW2, where each soldier got a certain allowance based on weight to send back to their relatives. which was widely regarded as how much you could loot. It may make it sound like they were promoting mass looting, and I've heard such, but to me it sounds more like a way to at least attempt to control the amount of looting, as well as balancing looting between common soldiers and the upper ranks (who have always had more opportunities to loot).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fangz posted:

I pissed off people at a larp too. I'm a small fellow and I picked out a shield that basically covered my entire body. Apparently that was 'cheating' :P

The real magical time is when you get people who pick the biggest shield they can find then complain when you hit them in the head because it's the only bit you can see

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Entire regiment ends up with lewd French silver plated cigarette cases.

Also, nobody at all know what that strange buttplug round is from still? That is actually driving me crazy.

I can't believe I'm saying this but it might be worth taking to the whatisthisthing subreddit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but it might be worth taking to the whatisthisthing subreddit

They're a good resource for historical buttplugs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I will be god damned.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Phanatic posted:

For that matter, look at Cambodia, China, Zimbabwe, and South Africa to see what happens when you take a bunch of people who aren't farmers and tell them to start being farmers.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They also tried to run farms while also serving as soldiers, and it turned out you need to be around to make a farm profitable. The wars that enriched Rome bankrupted the soldiers that fought them.

That being said, didn't Cao Cao in the Three Kingdoms era of China have a lot of success with soldier colonies? The specifics are a little fuzzy to memory right now, but I seem to recall he had a habit of recruiting soldiers, training them, and then settling them in various abandoned/wartorn regions as a permanent garrison that was also available to campaign when required. Apparently it worked and was part of the reason why he became the strongest of the three kingdoms.

Fakeedit: Though that being said, maybe it worked for him because his recruits included a lot of "former farmers displaced by civil war."

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GotLag posted:

The example that comes to my mind is the battle of Mogadishu, when the rangers left most of their NVGs and even some of their canteens back at base because it was supposed to be a quick mission.

"Apparently" a lot of German soldiers in WW2 left their gas masks in the baggage cart and used the canister to carry whatever, no idea how prevalent that actually was but it sounds likely.

Edit: actually come to think of it a friend of mine here in Australia once told me about only loading a couple of rounds into the top of each mag before going on a non-live-fire exercise

Pretty sure I posted here about the old Browning machine guns with the perforated jacket, and "gutting the gun" by removing the actual barrel when going on non-shooty marches and exercises. And Infantry Dude getting mildly chewed out because "if you're gonna do that, at least stick a broomstick in there so light doesn't shine all the way through the jacket". IIRC someone else posted the fine mortar-baseplate solution of an appropriately sized and shaped piece of wood instead of the steel deal.

See how much poo poo you can safely ditch for loot or just non-herniation purposes!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tomn posted:

That being said, didn't Cao Cao in the Three Kingdoms era of China have a lot of success with soldier colonies? The specifics are a little fuzzy to memory right now, but I seem to recall he had a habit of recruiting soldiers, training them, and then settling them in various abandoned/wartorn regions as a permanent garrison that was also available to campaign when required. Apparently it worked and was part of the reason why he became the strongest of the three kingdoms.

Fakeedit: Though that being said, maybe it worked for him because his recruits included a lot of "former farmers displaced by civil war."

It's the kind of thing that can work to the benefit of the state (and maybe even to the benefit of the soldier) if done right, but it requires administrative oversight and doesn't benefit rich landowners, so it can fall apart pretty quickly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ardent Communist posted:

As far as the looting chat goes, apparently the Red Army had a pretty thorough system during WW2, where each soldier got a certain allowance based on weight to send back to their relatives. which was widely regarded as how much you could loot. It may make it sound like they were promoting mass looting, and I've heard such, but to me it sounds more like a way to at least attempt to control the amount of looting, as well as balancing looting between common soldiers and the upper ranks (who have always had more opportunities to loot).

One of the things that Zhukov did was establish inspections at each of the few crossings over the Vistula that made sure nobody was sending back anything unsanctioned. Unfortunately I don't have any requirements as to what was allowed to be sent back, but presumably anything of actual cultural significance would be turned back.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

the yeti posted:

Hi milgoons, posting on behalf of a Dutch friend whose family have found these over the years and they've had no luck identifying them. Unfortunately I don't have measurements on them but any ideas?

honestly it's probably a chess piece.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sullat posted:

It's the kind of thing that can work to the benefit of the state (and maybe even to the benefit of the soldier) if done right, but it requires administrative oversight and doesn't benefit rich landowners, so it can fall apart pretty quickly.

It also requires not getting into the near-genocidal level of incompetence of some communist regimes and not constantly calling the farmers away from their farms to campaign.

That does sound like the sort of deal that the Goths were trying to offer all throughout their rampage through Rome.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Libluini posted:

The evolution of this was to organize a cavalry force into different "Treffen" (sorry, don't know the English term for this): You would send in the first Treffen to charge and when their charge has lost momentum and the sword/mace/whatever phase begins, you send in the next Treffen for another shock. If used right, this repeatedly disrupting and hammering of the enemy was devastating.

Wave?

HEY GUNS posted:

no but if your axe or polearm has a hook on it you can pull the shaft to one side or trap it, which is a sick fighting move

I've thought that you could hook stuff with just the axe blade. And wouldn't zweihander's parrying hooks and long crossguard help with binding your opponents weapon?

e:

bloom posted:

I pissed off a LARP once because instead of recognizing the brilliance of my berserker costume, they kept saying I was "drunk" and "not wearing any pants". Buncha joykills I tell you.

e: it's like I have a gift for pagesniping but only with really bad posts

a good snipe imo

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 10, 2018

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, nobody at all know what that strange buttplug round is from still? That is actually driving me crazy.

It looks to be an early rifle projectile, predating the Minie ball. It has a (brass ?) driving band to engage the rifling and a cast main body. What's weird is that the main body looks to be cast iron rather than lead, lead doesn't turn black like this. It looks too large to be an early breech loading projectile, so my guess is a pre 19 century muzzle loaded rifle projectile. There is a good chance it was a hunting weapon, as those rifles had to be loaded with a hammer to engrave the rifling on the projectile and force it down the barrel and would foul quickly, making them impractical for most military uses.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kafouille posted:

It looks to be an early rifle projectile, predating the Minie ball. It has a (brass ?) driving band to engage the rifling and a cast main body. What's weird is that the main body looks to be cast iron rather than lead, lead doesn't turn black like this. It looks too large to be an early breech loading projectile, so my guess is a pre 19 century muzzle loaded rifle projectile. There is a good chance it was a hunting weapon, as those rifles had to be loaded with a hammer to engrave the rifling on the projectile and force it down the barrel and would foul quickly, making them impractical for most military uses.
It looks way too big for that. I'd bet on some flavor of early to mid 20th century AP cannon round.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah perhaps some sort of light field piece?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean an elephant gun is nearly one of those...

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It looks way too big for that. I'd bet on some flavor of early to mid 20th century AP cannon round.

It looks to be around .80 caliber when compared to the .50 round, that's on the upper range of black powder hunting rifles. It's not a 20th century AP round, those use steel, not cast iron, they don't have those weird casting details all over and the driving band is primitive at best.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's too small to be a field piece, and a rifled solid shot would be quite unusual.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tomn posted:

In the novel it least it was Shu that sets up a soldier-farmer system.

The Qing used similar kinds of military colonies to settle Han in places like Guizhou and Yunnan, it makes sense for occupation forces that you don't plan on sending long distances. And shipping food and supplies from elsewhere to a place like Guizhou would have been unaffordable given the transport costs so self sufficiency was crucial.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
Is a rifled shotgun a thing that exists? Because that looks like roughly shotgun diameter. Or roughly flare pistol diameter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

"Strike" would probably come closest in meaning.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

catfry posted:

honestly it's probably a chess piece.

Why would someone put a chess piece up their rear end

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Why would someone put a chess piece up their rear end

Nice flared base

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
It's probably a gas check ring, but not that kind of gas.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Honestly I feel like that thing is just an ornament made in the shape of a bullet.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked this thing about the Bismarck and Swordfish

I have no idea if the maker is legit but I enjoyed his accent and graphics

Also I am endlessly fascinated by pre-digital fire control solutions

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

LARP nerds get real mad if you do this to them fyi

People get mad about it here (and it's against the rules of the ones in my experience) because it's potentially dangerous to have two people struggling for control of a long rod especially in a more confused fight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lake Effect posted:

Is a rifled shotgun a thing that exists?

Yes.

But put me down on the side of "it's a random ornament, not a real projectile."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kafouille posted:

It's too small to be a field piece, and a rifled solid shot would be quite unusual.

They had them in the American Civil War.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

I liked this thing about the Bismarck and Swordfish

I have no idea if the maker is legit but I enjoyed his accent and graphics

Also I am endlessly fascinated by pre-digital fire control solutions

He's pretty good, I did a podcast with him recently.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I enjoyed his comment of the Bismarck being advanced though. I guess compared to other German vessels it was.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Hotchkiss 37x94r sort of has the general appearance, and the 1-inch Nordenfelt had solid shot because apparently 400g was the minimum allowed size for explosive bullets, and that thing looks to be about 1 inch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-inch_Nordenfelt_gun

It's very probably some victorian / WW1 era autocannon round but I can't find the exact one.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Phanatic posted:

For that matter, look at Cambodia, China, Zimbabwe, and South Africa to see what happens when you take a bunch of people who aren't farmers and tell them to start being farmers.

The Zimbabwe example is a complex one, because that land seizure programme was designed to not work. There was a structured and achievable land reform programme in place after the end of the Bush War, but it was based on the UK kicking in money for voluntary sales of white owned land.

The UK government under Blair raised issues with the land reform process as they reckoned it was benefiting only black elites (which in fairness was 100% true). Clare Short wrote a stunningly tone deaf letter saying the UK didn't recognise any responsibility for Zim land reform because a) the labour party was historically anti colonialism, and b) she was ethnically Irish anyway (seriously, read it, it's loving bananas). Mugabe, rightly or wrongly, assumed this was a prelude to the UK backing out of their responsibilities. Short denies this, but based on the letter you can absolutely see why that conclusion was drawn. Mugabe's government introduced a deliberately extreme version of land reform, on the assumption that the threat to white farmers would force the UK back to the negotiating table. The UK shrugged, most white farmers moved into cities or left the country, and a bunch of military veterans and political bigwigs got control of farms they had no idea what to do with.

I'm no apologist for Mugabe, but he never thought for a moment that uncontrolled land seizures by military veterans was a sustainable agricultural strategy. It was a massive cock up driven by a complete lack of mutual misunderstanding.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

People get mad when you use to actual skill to rob them of their one thing. Same when you use a shield or buckler to parry their polearm into the ground and then wail on them with a sword or w/e
then take out your own sword or pole your way up the pike with your hands to elbow the dude in the face

god i hate larpers

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 10, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

They're not ceremonial, what gave you that idea?
i've been pulling twelve to sixteen hour days for months and i remembered 16th century parades

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

occamsnailfile posted:

On the two-handed sword chat, how did guys carry those around?

Like this. This is somewhat cartoonist, but crossguard behind the shoulder, pommel in the hand, blade bare seems to be the way. The blade would be in a scabbard if you were on the march. People also stand with them point on the ground, which is how most of the montante "lessons" begin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Like this. This is somewhat cartoonist, but crossguard behind the shoulder, pommel in the hand, blade bare seems to be the way. The blade would be in a scabbard if you were on the march. People also stand with them point on the ground, which is how most of the montante "lessons" begin.

"All my money is spent"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

ChubbyChecker posted:

"All my money is spent"?

Yeah. In the original it's clear that there's a hole in his purse and coins are falling out. This looks like a photo copy but it was the first result and clearly shows what was necessary for the question asked.