Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Onomarchus posted:

I interpret that as misdirection meant to make you think Sojiro had been killed. If I'm remembering the timeline right.

I think that might have been the devs' intention, but in my first playthrough I came to the same conclusion as Hunt

either way that boy's fuckin dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Onomarchus posted:

I interpret that as misdirection meant to make you think Sojiro had been killed. If I'm remembering the timeline right.

I just rewatched that segment and I could see that being the case if they had let the moment go on for a bit longer before Sojiro showed up as though nothing had happened.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
P5 REALLY likes making you think someone's dead for like 5 minutes before revealing they're alive.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, so I got to the treasure in the first palace. Is there a good reason not to just put in the calling card now after I make more lockpicks, or am I going to be cheated out of my extra eight days if I steal the treasure ASAP?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah fr. Ohya's story isn't even bad, its just she provides straight up no benefit to you. I have no problems with her but 9 times outta ten I'm gonna hang out with someone else so I get something out of it.

I mean, you could argue the same for Iwai.

But Iwai is a cool cat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, so I got to the treasure in the first palace. Is there a good reason not to just put in the calling card now after I make more lockpicks, or am I going to be cheated out of my extra eight days if I steal the treasure ASAP?

You can just do the calling card as soon as you're ready. You'll have the rest of the days as free days while you all nervously wait to see if the change of heart worked.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

There’s no penalty for doing the calling card ASAP, no time jumps or anything like that

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s no penalty for doing the calling card ASAP, no time jumps or anything like that

Disagree. You have to sit through phantom thieves text messages and meetings talking about "Did it work? I know it worked every other time but did it work this time?"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kaza42 posted:

Disagree. You have to sit through phantom thieves text messages and meetings talking about "Did it work? I know it worked every other time but did it work this time?"

Yeah but if you wait until the last day to send it you have to sit through messages asking you when you're going to send it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iirc there are times when hanging out with party members is only unlocked again after you send or attempt to send the calling card. So you should always do it asap.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Iirc there are times when hanging out with party members is only unlocked again after you send or attempt to send the calling card. So you should always do it asap.

Also this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, in between reaching the Treasure and sending the calling card you generally can't hang out with members of the Phantom Thieves.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, you could argue the same for Iwai.

But Iwai is a cool cat.

I mean, Iwai is on the backburner too since he has the worst stat gate in the whole game. seriously, whats the point of "unlocking" him in like may when it takes until like september to get 4 guts

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Last Celebration posted:

As everyone said you can do it ASAP without losing your free days.

You can also make tools at night after sending the card despite Morgana telling you you should rest up for the heist, so don't waste a night making lockpicks when you get a freebie!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

goat

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any trick to Nijima's boss fight (after she transforms) or do I just have to burn her down? The roulette is actually random after you break the glass, right?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm ready to move on Persona 3. I have a PSTV, which version will let me date Akihiko?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Portable, female route (which is the best version of P3 anyway), but romancing Akihiko has a bunch of flags that you have to hit or you'll gently caress it up.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arist posted:

Portable, female route (which is the best version of P3 anyway), but romancing Akihiko has a bunch of flags that you have to hit or you'll gently caress it up.

Thank u bro!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dodoman posted:

Is there any trick to Nijima's boss fight (after she transforms) or do I just have to burn her down? The roulette is actually random after you break the glass, right?

Just burn her down, yeah. The fight is very straightforward. A lot easier compared to Okumura.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HIJK posted:

Thank u bro!

Date Shinji and/or Aigis instead.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Got our little Mona a tiny bus for her collar.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Date Shinji and/or Aigis instead.

akihiko is shirtless

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

Just burn her. And never bet big on the roulette, even though it looks tempting on the Bet HP round.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Is there a recommended guide for total Persona newbies?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Media Bloodbath posted:

Is there a recommended guide for total Persona newbies?

If you're talking about Persona 5, I used Kotaku's tip guide and found it to be very helpful.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BlackFrost posted:

If you're talking about Persona 5, I used Kotaku's tip guide and found it to be very helpful.

I agree with pretty much everything in that guide, yeah. Solid write-up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Way back, what seems like 20 years ago I named my Rock Band band Kitten Bomb and created a pretty cool looking logo of an old-timey bomb with cat ears and a kitty face, and when I needed to come up with a team name that popped back into my head for some reason. I've actually been vaguely regretting that name for most of my playthrough because it didn't really seem to have poo poo to do with anything and I wished I could change it.

Now I've just sent the last Calling Card and it turns out I chose what might have been the most coincidentally prescient name I possibly could have. :aaa:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I called them Nepgear Fans.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Quick question: I've consistently tried to get into the modern Personas (3, 4, 5) but get some sort of anxiety when it comes to social links and skills related to the idea that I'm not playing optimally or whatever. Currently trying to get over that, and I'm just wondering, on normal difficulty are they easy enough to just play how I want and not worry about min maxing poo poo? I find it a huge turn off when games are best played next to a guide, and I'd rather just get over my anxiety about it and just play how I want. I just want to make sure that this won't gently caress me over long term, because these games seem like a huge time commitment to get to the last dungeon only to have the rug pulled out from under you if you haven't managed to unlock everything or whatever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They can be kind of hard to wrap your head around at first but once you get into the general rhythm of the gameplay (fusing, switching, and discarding Personas over time) they're really pretty simple. You can generally win in most situations just by being relatively smart about what skills your Personas have, and they're easy enough that you can just use whoever you like best in your party. There's no need to play "optimally," and if you do even the trickier bosses will generally be cake.

Personas 4 and 5 both let you rewind like a week if you absolutely run out of time on a deadline, also.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You don't need to min max at all for normal difficulty in persona 5. Knowing which social links are good to prioritize makes a pretty big difference, but it's not like you'll get stonewalled because you didn't max them all out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Cool, thanks! I've been focusing on 3 right now because I've heard the QOL improvements of 4 and 5 make it hard to go back, but I've managed to get up through the first boss on level 14, and so far it seems pretty straightforward with finding and exploiting weaknesses. But the only other JRPGs I've gotten into have been the Final Fantasies, in which you can generally just grind past anything too hard if all you care about is getting through the game. That doesn't seem to be the case here so I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't end up hosed if I wasn't step by step following a guide. I generally at least look up conversations where the right answer isn't obvious so I don't waste an afternoon without improving a social link or whatever.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Quick question: I've consistently tried to get into the modern Personas (3, 4, 5) but get some sort of anxiety when it comes to social links and skills related to the idea that I'm not playing optimally or whatever. Currently trying to get over that, and I'm just wondering, on normal difficulty are they easy enough to just play how I want and not worry about min maxing poo poo? I find it a huge turn off when games are best played next to a guide, and I'd rather just get over my anxiety about it and just play how I want. I just want to make sure that this won't gently caress me over long term, because these games seem like a huge time commitment to get to the last dungeon only to have the rug pulled out from under you if you haven't managed to unlock everything or whatever.

Absolutely, I played P5 last year, which was my first Persona/SMT-style game ever and I think only maxed out 3 or 4? of the confidants (not including automatic story ones, I also thought I had way more time than I actually did based on the last couple of months so I spent a bunch of time getting the social stats up instead of hanging out with people) just based on which characters I liked and it never hampered my ability to complete and enjoy the game. You apparently can't really do absolutely everything until NG+ anyway so just play how you want.

I just played on normal difficulty, all that might change if you bump it up?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah 5's the first one I've played (after hearing a lot of praise for 4 so I guess I'll go back and play that at some point) and I found it pretty darn easy. I mean there's no way you'll 100% everything without a guide, but just doing everything on your own you'll be able to max out most of the people/stuff you want to and get the rest on New Game+.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
General Persona/Shin Megami Tensei flowchart goes like this

Is it a boss fight?
->If no, exploit weaknesses
->If yes, buff and debuff

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I gotta say all the music in these games is catchy as hell. Despite never finishing 3 I still get the tunes stuck in my head, after I first played it on a PS2 like a billion years ago. I wish these games had nice HD remakes I could play on the PS4 though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Really 90% of Persona difficulty problems can be avoided with one tip, Always Be Fusing, which is the number one thing a lot of people seem not to get about those games. Especially with P5 letting you just pick which skills to inherit on every fusion, there's very little reason or excuse to hang onto anything for longer than it takes to fuse it into something higher-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
You should be fine, especially if you're in P3 where there's no extra benefit to levelling up a social link outside of the "normal" stuff. P4 adds additional bonuses for party members' social links, and P5 gives EVERY social link some kind of extra benefit for levelling it up, but the game tells you exactly what each level will give you before you hit it. My first Persona was 5, then I played P4G and now I'm on P3P so I'm kinda moving backwards in terms of user-friendliness :v:

Oh, weird thing I noticed in P3P at least: if you're trying to get a certain ability in a fusion but it's not there when you check what the result would be, back out to the menu where you can select what type of fusion you want to do (double, triple, etc.) and go back in and select the same fusion again. It'll sometimes make the game pick different abilities for the resulting persona to inherit.

Xad fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 22, 2018