Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I run the Cata a lot with my current Lance, it runs less missiles than my Jagermech but I much prefer it which is more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

I run 2x LRM20s (3t of ammo), 2 Medium Lasers and some JumpJets on mine. Seems to work fine. You could probably bin the MLs for more JJs or vice versa.

I run an LRM20++, LRM15++, 2 Mediums and Ammo/Heatsinks to fill the weight void. I try to have a least 3 Ammo stores because it tends to get me through at least 2 lance engagements.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

What's a good build for a Catapult?

For the -C1 (missile one), I gave it 2x LRM-20s (with varying amounts of +++s), four tons of ammo, some heat sinks, and (I think) a bit more armor. I removed the Jump Jets and Medium Lasers because if I position my Mechs correctly, the Catapult will pretty much never get hit/have enemies get close.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
https://github.com/Morphyum/PermanentEvasion/issues/

If you want to try out evasion that doesn't get reduced by shots fired.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Kamea without bulwark makes her sooo much more vulnerable than your own lance. Her Altas II was dangerously close to losing limbs due to a commando and hunchback 4P in one mission, plus peppering. Less than 20 armour on every front armour part (minus the legs) after two rounds of that poo poo plus some LRMs. Meanwhile my Orion was on the frontline for the whole mission, eating PPCs on one side, missiles on the other and was still in better shape.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

kingcom posted:

Real talk, it's a real good sign of people who have bad opinions about battletech if they say anything clan invasion/anything post clan invasion is bad. Jihad and Dark Age era is easily the most fun to play table top wise. The Clan tech isn't the be all and end all, everyone has a tonne of unique and distinctive mechs and equipment that makes them shine and fill a tonne of niches that clan tech simply can't. The clans just turn into a style of play where you load up with fast glass cannons and hope you can deliver enough right hooks because you get drowned by TSM super fast assaults, C3 network snipers, Plasma rifles destroying your normally good heat curve or the hilariously over gunned 5/8 medium and heavy mech swarms that the Inner Sphere can deploy against you.

Honestly, as someone who only really got into TT with the 25th Anniversary box set, my preference for Pre-Clan stuff is mostly just due to the fact that I've got a ton of 3039-era mechs, and I don't really even know where to begin exploring other eras (aside from proceeding chronologically, which isn't that appealing). Since I'm still getting my local gaming buddies familiar with the game, even simple lance-on-lance fights can take a lot of time and I'm hesitant to add any more complicated mechs/weapons/systems (Alpha Strike is fun, but it's definitely not the same thing).

I've actually got a bunch of (all?) the 3415 TROs (as well as the "core" books) but having to flip through TacOps/TechManual is just a bit intimidating. If anyone has suggestions for how to streamline jumping to the new stuff straight from vanilla TW/3039 I'd be super interested in hearing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hubis posted:

Honestly, as someone who only really got into TT with the 25th Anniversary box set, my preference for Pre-Clan stuff is mostly just due to the fact that I've got a ton of 3039-era mechs, and I don't really even know where to begin exploring other eras (aside from proceeding chronologically, which isn't that appealing). Since I'm still getting my local gaming buddies familiar with the game, even simple lance-on-lance fights can take a lot of time and I'm hesitant to add any more complicated mechs/weapons/systems (Alpha Strike is fun, but it's definitely not the same thing).

I've actually got a bunch of (all?) the 3415 TROs (as well as the "core" books) but having to flip through TacOps/TechManual is just a bit intimidating. If anyone has suggestions for how to streamline jumping to the new stuff straight from vanilla TW/3039 I'd be super interested in hearing.

Go grab a copy of megamek and it should have all the mechs across the timelines to have a look at. It's seriously the best way to just have a look for what different mechs of different time periods really look like.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is it just me or is the Grasshopper flat out better than the Banshee even though there's a 25 ton difference?

kingcom posted:

Banshee with a tonne of small lasers and some jump jets are pretty solid and solve the grasshopper's role for more melee damage on top.

But yeah Banshees are notoriously poo poo assault mechs and are essentially the Steiner equivalent of the Charger in tabletop. It's the downside of having huge engines in your assaults before XL engines get invented.

Speaking of the Banshee, what I'd like to see in a future iteration of this game...or a five years later patch or something...is the Banshee -3S that House Steiner puts into play starting a year after the game is set in 3026. Knock the engine down so you're at 56kph like the other big Assaults, then throw in more guns so it's got two PPCs, the AC/10, an SRM-6, four Medium Lasers, and two Small Lasers. THAT'S a pretty decent Assault Mech.

The Banshee as it stands, though, is pretty much poo poo.

Oh, and since we've deviated from tabletop anyhow, gimme a Cyclops with actual command and control benefits!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Is there a way to mod the game to change your starting stable of mechs?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
SimGameConstants.json in BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants. Find "StartingPlayerMech" and "StartingLance", replace the mechs listed with whichever you like. You can see all the mech variants in /data/mech

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
If there's anything I'm disappointed about its that your starting mech wasn't determined by your background choices.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

If there's anything I'm disappointed about its that your starting mech wasn't determined by your background choices.

And is also a pretty bad mech.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Gonna give my disgraced gladiator a centurion. Hell yeah.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The blackjack is fine, on par with the shadowhawk once you ditch the AC2s for AC5s

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Your family origin choice doesn't really do anything; I was surprised that wasn't the choice that determined your starting lance or 'Mech, or also your starting money etc. (They set up the narrative to where it doesn't matter, but I'm surprised they did so.)

You still want to keep it medium, I imagine, but I'm surprised you don't inherit, like, a Hermes if you're Marik, or a Vindicator (as your own 'Mech) if you're Liao. Some of the other options could have the Blackjack, but you maybe a variant depending. And if you're Deep Periphery, it's just a standard Blackjack... but for some reason, the weapons it's equipped with are really high quality.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Start with an Urbie with an AC20 duck-taped to the side of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm at work someone tell me how to spec my Battlemaster for maximum fun

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flipswitch posted:

Start with an Urbie with an AC20 duck-taped to the side of it.

There's actually a canon Urbanmech variant with an AC/20 and a whopping one ton of ammo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

There's actually a canon Urbanmech variant with an AC/20 and a whopping one ton of ammo.

Ah, the Scooty Puff Sr

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RBA Starblade posted:

>store mech
>sell on next friendly planet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psion posted:

>store mech
>sell on next friendly planet

:smith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RBA Starblade posted:

I strapped an AC20, SRM6, and a bunch of MLs onto mine. Then the first time I dropped it, the right torso was blown off and it was rendered completely weaponless. It kicked a cicada in the face, then the pilot ejected when reinforcements arrived.

Anyway that's my battlemaster story thanks for listening. I have no idea if it's effective or not but it certainly was pretty useless in that fight.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

its a bit poo poo but give it jumpjets, AC20 and some MLs, and use it as the recon Assault in an all assault lance, but the mech is a bit naff.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
The last time i sent someone out in my battlemastet she took an ac20 to the face from a demolisher after failing to kill it. Its been gathering dust since.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gwaihir posted:

https://github.com/Morphyum/PermanentEvasion/issues/

If you want to try out evasion that doesn't get reduced by shots fired.

I'm not sure that this is the best idea given that even heavies can easily get 5 evasion guaranteed every turn, but it does sound fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

If you spend more than a ton on an energy weapon in this game, you're probably better off with something else.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I've got a blackjack who's right arm critical table is AC2 - MLaser, and who's left arm table is MLaser - AC2, and on the actual mech they're mounted in that order. The right arm has the AC on top, the laser underslung, and the left arm is the opposite. That's a pretty cool little detail, although it's probably going to drive OCD people nuts if they notice it like I just did.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah weapons changing on the model as you fit them is a really nice touch I'm glad they did.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

School Nickname posted:

Kamea without bulwark makes her sooo much more vulnerable than your own lance. Her Altas II was dangerously close to losing limbs due to a commando and hunchback 4P in one mission, plus peppering. Less than 20 armour on every front armour part (minus the legs) after two rounds of that poo poo plus some LRMs. Meanwhile my Orion was on the frontline for the whole mission, eating PPCs on one side, missiles on the other and was still in better shape.

She actually does have Bulwark in the missions after "Escape", it just doesn't show in the UI. (Much like how Raju secretly has Bulwark in the tutorial mission.)

Promethium fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 11, 2018

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Battlemaster is pretty comparable to the Orion except with fewer missiles, less initiative, and heavier jumpjets. In exchange, it gets more ballistic and energy hardpoints, and actually has a couple support hardpoints.

So uh, I'd just use an Orion, for the better initiative. But maybe the Battlemaster load up on medium lasers and be like a Black Knight? I dunno.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah weapons changing on the model as you fit them is a really nice touch I'm glad they did.

One of the fringe benefits they got from working with the PGI models. MWO uses a dynamic hardpoint system that they adapted for Battletech.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

One more week until my last day at the office, then I'm moving to the opposite coast. I can't help but feel like Kerensky fleeing the inner sphere. The analogy works since the other people on my team have no idea how our application works. Without me to do everything for them, they will likely just salvage and retrofit my work until everything falls into dissary and some tryhard furries try to step in and take over but still somehow fail.

Anyway this game is so good. I'm finally seeing assault mechs but haven't been able to land one. Doing fine with my Grasshopper, Orion, Thunderbolt plus rotating mech.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Emy posted:

Battlemaster is pretty comparable to the Orion except with fewer missiles, less initiative, and heavier jumpjets. In exchange, it gets more ballistic and energy hardpoints, and actually has a couple support hardpoints.

So uh, I'd just use an Orion, for the better initiative. But maybe the Battlemaster load up on medium lasers and be like a Black Knight? I dunno.

Could have sworn the heavy jumpjets went to 85, as when I tried to make a disco/in your face Battlemaster I kept buying assault jump jets and getting pissed when I went to refit it and couldn't find them. The lower initiative is a pain in the rear end though.

And I finally got a damned Awesome, was so happy to use it in the next mission and was just underwhelmed. The maps need more open lines of sight before it can really shine I think.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

seaborgium posted:

Could have sworn the heavy jumpjets went to 85, as when I tried to make a disco/in your face Battlemaster I kept buying assault jump jets and getting pissed when I went to refit it and couldn't find them. The lower initiative is a pain in the rear end though.

And I finally got a damned Awesome, was so happy to use it in the next mission and was just underwhelmed. The maps need more open lines of sight before it can really shine I think.

Oh yeah, you're right, they do. So it's just lower initiative and fewer missiles.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Emy posted:

Oh yeah, you're right, they do. So it's just lower initiative and fewer missiles.

Getting to use Heavy type JJs really saves the Battlemaster from the garbage pile, along with having actual assault class armor. The Dragon/Quickdraw were bad because they needed to waste more space for Jumpjets, carried less weapon tonnage than a Centurion or Shadow Hawk, and weren't actually armored any better than a Centurion ... which isn't even the heaviest medium mech. They were functionally mediums with Heavy initiative and more structure points under the armor.

So, the Battlemaster equals the Orion in free tonnage, doesn't need more room for the same jumpjets, and is tougher even before the enemy is digging into structure. It's not great, but it's at least not Dragon bad before you find better Assaults.

I've only got 3 assaults and two 75 ton heavies, so I'm currently running two Highlanders, a Battlemaster and an Orion or Black Knight.

No, I wouldn't notice a huge difference if I left the Battlemaster at home and ran two assaults and two heavies, but the Black Knight only comes out in cold weather.

Also I really liked the Orion back in MW3 so i got a soft spot for it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My battlemaster is my frontline assault (mostly because my only other assault is the gauss highlander) and it works fine with the AC20 and every other possible 270m weapon you can cram onto the thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not sure that this is the best idea given that even heavies can easily get 5 evasion guaranteed every turn, but it does sound fun.

I don't think it's a really good idea in pvp, but probably fun(ny) in pve.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I have my Battlemaster with L Laser, a bunch of mediums, and a couple smalls, with some melee gyros and maxed armor. It does WORK, I don't know what y'all's problem is.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Large Lasers are fuckin' terrible garbage. Try a PPC instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Large Lasers are fuckin' terrible garbage. Try a PPC instead.

I modded the L Laser to produce less heat, as many in this thread have suggested, and it is great. Meanwhile, PPCs remain underwhelming and overweight.