Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
2nd cousins is too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

2nd cousins is too close.

My initial reaction was "2nd cousins is probably fine for exactly the distance they went and no further" and then I thought about it some more and arrived at the Liz Lemon doctrine

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It reads like fiction because he waited so long to drop that fact on us, but at least it was fun to read.

Anyway it's clearly weird and you know it otherwise you wouldn't bring it up even without the blood component, but as long as you are serious about your committment to it only being a one time thing and you won't drink together again, it's fine to just laugh it off. But the way you talk you clearly want more and are going to pursue it until you either succeed and ruin her marriage or push her away. Just find someone else to gently caress that isn't your married cousin. Childhood bonds aren't some sacred thing anyway, they are mostly based on whether you can play outside with them or have cool video games, you can find much deeper connections in your adult life.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
LOL if you think you can unring that bell

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it's because I'm Italian and Spanish, but 2nd cousins are basically just 1st cousins in my family. I stood up in my 3rd cousin's wedding. I'm sure it's just a cultural/family thing, but it's super weird to me that the thought would even be there.

Either way, good confession.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

loquacius posted:

the Liz Lemon doctrine
Quoi?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As in so many other situations in life, my first thought was of a scene from a TV episode I last saw multiple years ago

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If y'all can't keep it in your pants, you can at least keep it in the family.

In Korea since they have like four family names, one of the requirements to getting married is genealogical proof that you're a minimum of several generations unrelated. I think six?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't they have an app in Iceland so you can make sure you're not loving your cousins?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't they have an app in Iceland so you can make sure you're not loving your cousins?
They do.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

They also have something like a suburb of larger city in population, total. About ~250k people in the entire country. They are also very far from everyone else, and live in a climate which is not exactly calling for an influx of immigrants.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

If y'all can't keep it in your pants, you can at least keep it in the family.

In Korea since they have like four family names, one of the requirements to getting married is genealogical proof that you're a minimum of several generations unrelated. I think six?

there's a paper somewhere lying around talking about how last names are distributed by power law

except korean peoples last names. we are distributed exponential

power law is prototypical distribution with fat tail. exponential is boundary between thin and fat tailed....

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

They also have something like a suburb of larger city in population, total. About ~250k people in the entire country. They are also very far from everyone else, and live in a climate which is not exactly calling for an influx of immigrants.

Oh yes, and also patronymic names ensures that you have no loving idea if you are related to someone, besides your immediate family and close relatives.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

as i recall from the article about the app, it is just part of meeting someone to compare families and make sure you aren't too closely related.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wonder if my financial background will translate over there. I'm only 5'10", so I'll be short(er) over there though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Job Goon again again. You're probably wondering why I'm confessing again even though I've gotten a job. Just want to rant about stuff for a few tangents. Reminder I've been at this job for over a month now.

Right now my routine is "wake up, go to job, leave job, browse internet, sleep" and repeat. I don't have any hobbies nor friends in the new place I moved too, nor do I care about the people I've left behind. All I think about now is my work and not loving up, even though I'm more used to the position now and am doing better than I allow myself to feel. In my over two years of job searching all my social skills pretty much died.

My co workers are friendly, but I don't talk to them outside work. They seem pretty close-knit, having worked together for years. They talk about everything and go out to lunch together most of the time. I don't get invited, I usually either bring my own lunch or go somewhere close by. I'm not really offended by this since I consider myself at fault for not opening up, but it's something I think about. My boss usually is the one to ask me about what I've been doing on my own time but I usually just mention moving/misc stuff cause like I said I don't really do anything outside work. Talking about internet/meme stuff would also be a good way to become socially repulsive.

It's a bit hard to think about, but not exactly vital to my current goals. I'd like to meet new people, but I also don't really want to. Half of me wants to go out and do things, while the other half doesn't see the benefit of it all. I wouldn't want to go out with people cause my mind tells me I'd have a much more enjoyable time watching videos and playing games. My eyes glaze over at the thought of smalltalk. I could sit at home and save money to buy more games or work on more personal portfolio-building projects.

I want to try things like meetup apps and dating apps, but the former is stopping me. Why would anyone become interested in me if I don't have personality? Why would I become interested in someone else if I can't care? This mindset is debilitating me, and I hope getting responses can help me think otherwise.

Also sorry Loquacious, I just quit the MMO I was playing. I didn't talk to anyone in that either cause MMO pubbies are poo poo!!! The goons were even worse!!!

Doesn't work for everyone I guess v:v:v

Anyway "you sound depressed, see thread title" is kind of the most cliched response I have, but, you should probably do that. You're self-sufficient now and that's cool and a big start but it's not a magic fix-all-your-problems bullet. If I were you I'd try to develop a hobby, since you seem to have a lot of anxiety about talking about your interests (those being video games and memes).

Honestly, just branching out into reading a dang book every once in a while would be a good start. Talking about books makes you seem smart and cultured (depending on the book I guess).

(disclaimer: am super stoned; preceding post might not make sense)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“My eyes glaze over at the thought of smalltalk” he said, while subjecting forum dwellers to an excruciatingly boring description of an average working person’s day.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's probably a good idea not to have intercourse with someone whose lineage you can trace to your own. I don't think it's too weird to be attracted to a second cousin though, it's understandable if you interact with them frequently, especially at a newly pubescent age. Then again, I barely have any contact with my 1st cousins, let alone my 2nd so that might color my opinion.

Actually now that I think about it, I do have a pretty hot cousin. She has a nice butt.... and a cute nose. hell I'd go for it, why not, yolo as the kids say. Maybe get a little drunk first

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Quick followup from jobgoon

quote:

Ack job goon again just want to clarify before people dunk on my stupid rear end. When I meant an interest in "memes" I meant I like to contribute to SA photoshop threads and stuff. If some guy you knew said "Hey look at this funny picture of Garfield 9/11 I made" what the hell would you think of him? Not stuff you want to be sharing imho. Please be nice to me.

I personally think I'm just lonely in a new environment for now, no need for a shrink. I'll start looking for things to go to after work. I've gotten word that there is a Taco Tuesday every week somewhere around here, and from what I guess that's sure to attract people who can appreciate goatse as much as I do.

never ever tell anyone you are a goon

quote:

I apologize if this is a little incoherent. It literally just happened and I’m still really shaken up.

I just got fired from my third job this year, the third one this year that I’ve been fired from after less than a month of working there, and for an extremely embarrassing reason.

Until this afternoon, everything was going great. I won an award for doing the best job at a practice exercise between me and three other new employees, and I volunteered to take a trip to another store location to drop something off. This was supposed to be a routine trip.

While I was at the other store, I had to go to the bathroom. I needed to use a stall, and there was only one stall in the men’s room (I’m a dude), and some fucker was taking a long rear end time dropping a poo poo in there.

So I did something stupid... I went into the ladies room. You can probably guess where this is going.

It was empty when I got in there. I went into a stall, locked the door, and did my business (all I had to do was piss, wipe some swamp rear end, and re-tuck my shirt, but I had to do the latter two in a stall so I couldn’t use the urinals in the men’s room). While I was in there, a woman came in to use the toilet and, from the sounds I heard, change her baby. Another woman came in and the two both changed their babies, while I waited from behind a locked door for them to leave so I could get the gently caress out of there. Then one of the women left, and the other one went to the stall next to mine. I thought she was going to shut the stall door, so I took the opportunity to bolt out of there as fast as I could. Unfortunately for me the door was open and she saw me.

This is probably as good a time as any to mention that I live in deep red Trump Country, though this doesn’t really excuse me at all.

What followed before I left was a deeply, horrifically humiliating confrontation with the store’s general manager, in which he asked me if I had used the women’s restroom, told me it was unacceptable, told me it was weird, told me the woman who saw me was “bawling her eyes out,” asked what store I had come from and what my boss’s name was, and told me I wasn’t welcome at his store ever again. I immediately called my boss from there to tell him what happened (before the other guy could), apologized profusely and told him I felt awful, and he sounded understanding. He told me everything would be fine, that poo poo happens and we’d talk about it later, and to just try to relax and come back, but deep down I knew everything wasn’t alright. I was still beyond embarrassed, felt like poo poo over what those people must’ve thought of me, and knew that when I got back to my store I was a dead man walking.

My fears were confirmed when I got back and told one of the other guys above me what happened, and was then told that I was being let go.

I feel like absolute poo poo. I was enjoying that job and apparently doing well there, and now I just want to crawl into a hole and die.

I texted my boss after I got home. He said he knew I didn’t have any ill intent, that it was just an unfortunate event that I should just let go and try to move on from, that there are plenty of other opportunities in this industry out there, and that no details of why I was let go would ever leave the store. Obviously though, I still feel horrible and embarrassed.

Worst of all, now I need to find my FOURTH new job of 2018 and I’m just not sure I have the strength in me to do it again. My other firings weren’t for anything bad, but I don’t think I can mention those jobs since they were so short.

Am I just garbage doomed to be unemployable forever?

What the hey

Are red states just really fuckin' weird or something because I can't imagine someone being fired from their job for using the wrong restroom

quote:

I sent in a confession a long time ago expressing my desire to join a cult to make friends and get away from normal life. After a lot of research, I decided to join The Family International, originally known as The Children of God. I traded some emails with a local member who convinced me it was a good fit. I am a devout Christian and so are they, but with a different interpretation of a lot of the Bible that really sounded right to me in my mind. So I sent in my application to join and quickly got approved.

But now, 2 weeks later after I made my first tithe which they recommend to be 10% of your income each month, I feel like I just wasted a few hundred dollars. The guy I was talking to has gotten much quieter and has changed his emphasis away from the teachings and the community and more toward making sure I keep up with my tithing and file monthly reports on my "witnessing"/converting other people. This isn't what I signed up for. I was picturing getting to meet a lot of them in their headquarters and eventually being invited to live on their compound (or whatever they call it). Unless something changes soon I am not sending another payment in and will do better vetting next time, because right now I feel like the goon must feel who confessed to falling for that drug delivery scam. It just doesn't feel like a cult to me. There's no pressuring, no threats, they act like they couldn't care less if I left or not.

lol "I'm thinking of leaving my cult, they haven't threatened me at all"

extremely low-effort cult

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Why the hell would you answer the store manager's question about who you were? Just either deny it or at least claim it was a mistake and tell the manager to gently caress off, you didn't commit a crime and he can't detain you, just leave. I think you got fired more for proving you don't know how to handle a conflict situation than upsetting some random lady taking a poo poo.

What was the rush anyway? If all you had to do was piss you could have just done that in the urinal and saved your swamp rear end wiping or whatever the hell for when the guy is done making GBS threads.

e: also that cult from a quick googling sounds like a pedophile cult so maybe you're just too old for them to be interested, cult goon.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 14, 2018

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ack job goon again FYI a therapist isn't really a shrink, it's just someone you pay to be your friend basically and listen and hopefully give some good feedback.

Like when I was in highschool I saw one about the constant anxiety attacks I was having and he taught me how to meditate. poo poo like that... Practical.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

soy posted:

Ack job goon again FYI a therapist isn't really a shrink, it's just someone you pay to be your friend basically and listen and hopefully give some good head and sex..

Fixed

Therapy goon,

Therapy goon,

What has become of you?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Job goon, I'm sorry but it sounds like there's more to the story. Getting fired from using the woman's restroom at another store? Also, I don't want to take things here but this will be the fourth job this year. Something seems off.

soy posted:

Ack job goon again FYI a therapist isn't really a shrink, it's just someone you pay to be your friend basically and listen and hopefully give some good feedback.

Like when I was in highschool I saw one about the constant anxiety attacks I was having and he taught me how to meditate. poo poo like that... Practical.

Pretty much. They aren't really how TV protrays them. They are basically professional advice givers.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
cult goon may i recommend looking into the Project at Edens Gate instead

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

loquacius posted:

lol "I'm thinking of leaving my cult, they haven't threatened me at all"

extremely low-effort cult
Interesting choice. On the one hand, the family international gave us these amazing things:
https://youtu.be/lknW2mzXMMY
https://youtu.be/bsevKX9Qpdg

On the other hand, they also hosed a lot of kids. In both the figurative and also extremely literal sense.

Bit of a mixed bag really.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Why is cult goon not going for Scientology? It sounds like a no brainer if what you’re after is getting indoctrinated into some bullshit cult that wants total control over your life and will hold a permanent grudge if you ever try to ditch them.

That or the Mormon church, I guess. :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Why is cult goon not going for Scientology? It sounds like a no brainer if what you’re after is getting indoctrinated into some bullshit cult that wants total control over your life and will hold a permanent grudge if you ever try to ditch them.

That or the Mormon church, I guess. :shrug:

Doesn't it cost way more than just "a few hundred dollars" to rank up in that one though? Sounds like he's looking for a budget cult.

Also most mormons aren't super culty, it's the FLDS ones that give them that reputation.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Doesn't it cost way more than just "a few hundred dollars" to rank up in that one though? Sounds like he's looking for a budget cult.

Also most mormons aren't super culty, it's the FLDS ones that give them that reputation.

Nah, even baseline is pretty bad, especially in Mormon country.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Oh no, once you're in, you're in for life, they'll send your local bishop around to your house about once a year to double check if you're still interested.

Dude looking for a cult, mormonism is for you. Join a singles ward, find yourself a plain looking 25 year old never been kissed woman, pop out some kids, and never have to speak with any non-mormons again.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

loquacius posted:

Are red states just really fuckin' weird or something because I can't imagine someone being fired from their job for using the wrong restroom

"Hey, we sent you to deliver some product to the downtown location, but the manager just called and said you were hiding in the ladies' room and customers are shaken and crying. Is this true?"
"Yes, ma'am."
"Well, I'm sure it's fine, we will definitely trust you around coworkers and customers in the future."

Why the hell would you answer the store manager's question about who you were? Just either deny it or at least claim it was a mistake and tell the manager to gently caress off, you didn't commit a crime and he can't detain you, just leave. I think you got fired more for proving you don't know how to handle a conflict situation than upsetting some random lady taking a poo poo.

"Hey, you just came from the east location to deliver some product, but these customers say you were hiding in the ladies' room and they're shaken and crying. Is this true?"
"I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS WOMAN IN MY LIFE. AM I BEING DETAINED?? AM I BEING DETAINED?? I COMMITTED NO CRIME, gently caress OFF." *storms away*
"There goes the finest employee Food Lion has ever known. What a marvel of conflict resolution."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

"Hey, you just came from the east location to deliver some product, but these customers say you were hiding in the ladies' room and they're shaken and crying. Is this true?"
"I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS WOMAN IN MY LIFE. AM I BEING DETAINED?? AM I BEING DETAINED?? I COMMITTED NO CRIME, gently caress OFF." *storms away*
"There goes the finest employee Food Lion has ever known. What a marvel of conflict resolution."

I know saying "being detained" triggers people to thinking I'm some sovereign citizen thing, but I meant it in the sense that you don't have to answer a store manager's questions. You don't have to say "am i being detained?" because you already know you aren't, they have no authority over you. If you just leave and ignore the shouting employee without giving them any identification information, literally nothing bad can happen to you. The goon would have had his job if he hadn't given the store manager the fuel to screw him over and had just kept his mouth shut and pretended the trip went off without a hitch.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I know saying "being detained" triggers people to thinking I'm some sovereign citizen thing, but I meant it in the sense that you don't have to answer a store manager's questions. You don't have to say "am i being detained?" because you already know you aren't, they have no authority over you. If you just leave and ignore the shouting employee without giving them any identification information, literally nothing bad can happen to you. The goon would have had his job if he hadn't given the store manager the fuel to screw him over and had just kept his mouth shut and pretended the trip went off without a hitch.

"Hey, I know you just went over to the west location, and they just called and said that somebody arrived in uniform, hid in the ladies' room for a while, and then, when they confronted him about it, completely ignored management and continued unloading and delivering the product we sent with you. Was that you??"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

"Hey, I know you just went over to the west location, and they just called and said that somebody arrived in uniform, hid in the ladies' room for a while, and then, when they confronted him about it, completely ignored management and continued unloading and delivering the product we sent with you. Was that you??"

"Obviously not, but I'd be glad to help track down and apprehend that sicko!"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

RCarr posted:

"Obviously not, but I'd be glad to help track down and apprehend that sicko!"

"I'll just stake out the ladies' room in case he strikes again!!"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If he was in an employee uniform he could have just pretended he was cleaning the restroom or restocking paper towels or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

If he arrived in uniform the manager wouldn't have had to ask what company he worked for and who his boss is.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

If he arrived in uniform the manager wouldn't have had to ask what company he worked for and who his boss is.

He was asked what store he came from, not what company.

I'm assuming that he was in some sort of uniform, because re-tucking his shirt was a concern, and also because he was on the clock.

P-Mack posted:

If he was in an employee uniform he could have just pretended he was cleaning the restroom or restocking paper towels or something.

"You see, I was just delivering this product from a different store, and I thought 'I bet the ladies' room is real low on paper towels' so I just zipped on in there to fix it up without the cleaning supplies or the 'closed for cleaning' signage or any of that."

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 14, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

I laughed at this way harder than I should have.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

His main problem was poor crisis management but that should not get you fired from a lovely retail job

Like, telling either manager "sorry if she's freaked out, I was just using that room because someone was taking forever in the men's room" would probably limit the consequences to an eyeroll and probation, but he didn't do that either time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

loquacius posted:

His main problem was poor crisis management but that should not get you fired from a lovely retail job

Like, telling either manager "sorry if she's freaked out, I was just using that room because someone was taking forever in the men's room" would probably limit the consequences to an eyeroll and probation, but he didn't do that either time

Actually, his main problem was lacking the wherewithal to wait a few minutes to pee in the restroom he is allowed to use

I don't know what universe you live in that you don't think "employee was caught sneaking out of the ladies' room" isn't a fireable offense at a lovely retail job.
"Hey, welcome to Office Depot, where our employees promise not to be spying on you in the bathrooms... again"