Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

clearly the epidemic of finnish babies set on fire by their boxes has been cleverly hidden by the conspiratorial SNP and we should all vote for richard leonard because the sun did their version of "we went and lied about being poor and look at all this free poo poo we got"

Ah yes, The Scottish Sun, noted for supporting the Labour Party and definitely not supporting the SNP.

Christ you can be dumb sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Ah yes, The Scottish Sun, noted for supporting the Labour Party and definitely not supporting the SNP.

Christ you can be dumb sometimes.

yes the scottish sun famous for being a principled paper consistent with its values and support

you really don't see this as an attack on the SNP? contriving some outrage bullshit on one of their popular initiatives?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

yes the scottish sun famous for being a principled paper consistent with its values and support

you really don't see this as an attack on the SNP? contriving some outrage bullshit on one of their popular initiatives?

I think it's an attack on a progressive policy. I think The Sun regard it as wasteful spending. I don't think it will stop the Sun backing the Nats at the next election, be it Holyrood or Westminster. I think pretending you aren't aware the SNP have been quite happy cozying up to Murdoch in exactly the same greasy and damaging way as Tony Blair is stupid and transparent.

Quid pro quo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

I think it's an attack on a progressive policy. I think The Sun regard it as wasteful spending. I don't think it will stop the Sun backing the Nats at the next election, be it Holyrood or Westminster. I think pretending you aren't aware the SNP have been quite happy cozying up to Murdoch in exactly the same greasy and damaging way as Tony Blair is stupid and transparent.

Quid pro quo.

I haven't seen the Scum cosying up to the SNP, or vice versa, since the failure of the Indyref. The nats were useful to Murdoch only as long as they had a chance of winning, and the SNP now have the National for their media blowjob needs.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jedit posted:

I haven't seen the Scum cosying up to the SNP, or vice versa, since the failure of the Indyref. The nats were useful to Murdoch only as long as they had a chance of winning, and the SNP now have the National for their media blowjob needs.

The Sun supported the SNP in the 2015 & 2017 General Elections, as well as the 2016 Scottish Parliament election. They still seem pretty cosy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How many babies have been murdered in Finland by these fire traps?

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Would be interesting to see the baby box immolation in context of other baby carriers/cribs. I can't imagine something like a Moses basket would fare much better against an open flame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

cargohills posted:

The Sun supported the SNP in the 2015 & 2017 General Elections, as well as the 2016 Scottish Parliament election. They still seem pretty cosy.

I will gladly accept any correction that proves I'm not a Sun reader, but I would say I'm not surprised about 2016. Murdoch supports winners, and the SNP were always going to win in that election. It'll be interesting to see how they fall in the next GE now the SNP star is starting to fade and the Tories are comnig back.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Leggsy posted:

Would be interesting to see the baby box immolation in context of other baby carriers/cribs. I can't imagine something like a Moses basket would fare much better against an open flame.

Most Moses baskets are designed as supervised sleeping areas. So just for your baby to nap in whilst you watch. Anything designed for your baby to actually sleep in will have a fire safety certificate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

https://www.snp.org/pb_baby_box_scheme posted:

What are the details for the SNP Scottish Government’s baby box scheme?

The SNP is determined that every child, regardless of their circumstances, should get the best start in life, which is why we’ve introduced Scotland’s Baby Box. Based on the Finnish model, which has a proven record of decreasing infant mortality, the box will include essential items for a baby’s first weeks and months and it will also provide a safe space for babies to sleep near their parents.

Scotland’s Baby Box has been awarded British Safety Standard accreditation as a crib for domestic use - the first non-commercial baby box in the world to do so.

Registration for Scotland’s Baby Box opened on 15 June 2017 for all babies due on or after 15 August 2017 and expectant mothers are able to register at an existing midwife appointment. Delivery will begin on 15 August with the Baby Box sent directly to a home or other preferred address.

Scotland's Baby Box aims to help tackle deprivation, improve health and support parents. We’re proud to introduce it in Scotland. The box includes:

Scratch mittens
Short-sleeved vests
Long-sleeved vests
Long-sleeved sleepsuits
Cotton hat
Socks
All-in-one day suit
Jersey trousers
Long-sleeved sleepsuits
Fleece jacket with hood
Mattress
Mattress protector
Fitted sheet
Cellular blanket
Baby wrap
Hooded bath towel
Digital ear thermometer
Bath sponge
Bath and room baby thermometer
Teething ring soother
Baby books
PlayTalkRead play mat
Emery boards
Bib
Muslin cloth squares
Comforter toy
Travel changing mat
Pack of disposable nursing pads
Pack of 12 maternity towels
Condoms

What? :/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Birth control for new parents. They prevent the man’s semen from entering the vagina and fertilising the woman’s egg after intercourse.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Seem a bit rude to me, tbh.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this is crazy but: maybe it’s in the newspaper because it’s a baby crib that catches on fire.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Seems like a dumb gimmick to have it be universal, anyway. Poshos are only going to turn up their noses at it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CoolCab posted:

this is crazy but: maybe it’s in the newspaper because it’s a baby crib that catches on fire.

No you’re doing it wrong you’re supposed to flippant about the risk posed by placing newborn infants in flammable cardboard boxes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

Seems like a dumb gimmick to have it be universal, anyway. Poshos are only going to turn up their noses at it.

Making benefits universal is the only way to make it harder for cunts to rail against them and cut them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

They don't want to be giving you another one 10 months down the line.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

crispix posted:

The Finnish have denied it has any affect on infant mortality as well. It is purely a gimmick to make middle class people feel better about doing nothing for poor people generally. Lets have UBI and see how it goes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aramoro posted:

The Finnish have denied it has any affect on infant mortality as well. It is purely a gimmick to make middle class people feel better about doing nothing for poor people generally. Lets have UBI and see how it goes.
I don't even want to think about what you think they should be doing with condoms to have an effect on infant mortality!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Leggsy posted:

i'm not an expert arsonist, but assuming you have a all wooden bassinet vs cardboard box my money would be on the box losing first.
you'd commonly use card as a firelighter to get your wooden bonfire going, as it's easier to ignite. and I believe most wooden furniture will have some degree of fire resistant varnish coating?

crispix posted:

in theory a self selecting posho exclusion is much cheaper on admin costs than the health dept running means testing. but it'd be interesting after the scheme's been running a bit longer to see how the uptake numbers bear out.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 10, 2018

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My sisters baby box arrived the other day. It’s huge, like twice the size I was expecting. Though my sister was complaining about how cheap and plasticy some of the items are. I read the book, it was rubbish.

I didn’t try setting fire to it though.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

marktheando posted:

My sisters baby box arrived the other day. It’s huge, like twice the size I was expecting. Though my sister was complaining about how cheap and plasticy some of the items are. I read the book, it was rubbish.

I didn’t try setting fire to it though.

The ear thermometers are the real prize imo, professional accurate devices so you can give your pediatrist a competent reading when you're worried about your baby.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The baby box is just a load of stuff, some good some less good, that some new parents will need and many will already have, a bad poem written in Scots dialect in a cardboard box that no baby should have to sleep in.

The problem is the overstated benefits of the box itself and its safety as a baby sleeping area. It’s also become fetishised by the Scottish nationalist movement to be more than just a few freebies.

Rather than seeing it spread throughout the UK I’d rather support was targeted at those that need it.

Coohoolin posted:

The ear thermometers are the real prize imo, professional accurate devices so you can give your pediatrist a competent reading when you're worried about your baby.

This isn’t what they’re for.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

The baby box is just a load of stuff, some good some less good, that some new parents will need and many will already have, a bad poem written in Scots dialect in a cardboard box that no baby should have to sleep in.

The problem is the overstated benefits of the box itself and its safety as a baby sleeping area. It’s also become fetishised by the Scottish nationalist movement to be more than just a few freebies.

Rather than seeing it spread throughout the UK I’d rather support was targeted at those that need it.

This isn’t what they’re for.

Means testing doesn't work.
Means testing costs a lot more in administration and then it's easy for it to get cut next time it's politically viable.

People have been trained to not like others getting free poo poo that they're not entitled to themselves.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just give extra support to those already receiving means tested benefits. Doesn’t require additional bureaucracy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I remember you saying the same thing about free prescriptions Flaps. Why do you love means testing so much?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

marktheando posted:

I remember you saying the same thing about free prescriptions Flaps. Why do you love means testing so much?

Free prescriptions don't help anyone who can't afford to pay as most if not all of them are already exempted for other reasons. All it does is take a revenue source away from the NHS.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mehall posted:

Means testing doesn't work.
Means testing costs a lot more in administration and then it's easy for it to get cut next time it's politically viable.
your blanket statement might be a point of faith for some, but it's not really true.
means testing can cost more in admin than is saved. it's not a given, but dependant on a whole host of changeable factors like what proportion of the population are eligible, how simple that is to assess, the value of the benefit, and do people have much incentive to make false / mistaken claims.

if you accept the principle that people who can afford to pay more into the system should do so, i don't see how it's consistent to support progressive taxation but oppose means testing as an absolute red line.

apart from the thermometer everything in the baby box looks cheap as poo poo though, with a bulk discount. have the government published a cost breakdown and take up rates? cos that might show that reducing the number given out each year to rich families wouldn't save much.

and what do they expect you to do with your second / third thermometer anyway when the next kids come?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

Your memory is faulty. Prescriptions aren’t means tested.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Your memory is faulty. Prescriptions aren’t means tested.

Well no not in Scotland, that was the point.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

Not in england either.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

marktheando posted:

Not sure if you're being flippant or just don't know but prescriptions were never actually means tested. It was just that some people never paid for them. Like when Prince William was a student he didn't have to pay them, when his wife was pregnant she didn't have to pay them, as a pensioner his gran doesn't have to pay them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So you are saying that people from certain groups that usually have less money don’t have to pay, but it isn’t means tested. Interesting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

So you are saying that people from certain groups that usually have less money don’t have to pay, but it isn’t means tested. Interesting.

That’s right. There is no testing of their means. Certain people are exempt from prescription charges.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

That’s right. There is no testing of their means. Certain people are exempt from prescription charges.

Well that sounds like the worst of both worlds. You should switch to free prescriptions IMO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Free prescriptions don't help anyone who can't afford to pay as most if not all of them are already exempted for other reasons. All it does is take a revenue source away from the NHS.

Universal healthcare is in fact good, including rich cunts getting free prescriptions, and the only revenue source the NHS should have is taxation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Universal healthcare is in fact good, including rich cunts getting free prescriptions, and the only revenue source the NHS should have is taxation.

Prescription fees are a form of taxation, and unlike direct taxation rich cunts cannot complain about paying for other people because they're paying only when they pay for themselves. The people who cannot pay, or who cannot do without the service, are exempted.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Exemptions or not, I don't think making the sick pay more into the NHS is consistent with the idea of it being free to access.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Also don't most Rich cunts get Private Healthcare instead or do they still have to go through the NHS to get prescriptions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Prescription fees are a form of taxation, and unlike direct taxation rich cunts cannot complain about paying for other people because they're paying only when they pay for themselves. The people who cannot pay, or who cannot do without the service, are exempted.

But it's a regressive taxation, as the price is the same regardless of your income, and I think poor people are still statistically more likely to be sick (though may be wrong on that)