Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

At this point I'd be writing my congressman.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
17 page religion paper written. Drunkeness incoming. One more week!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I did my last final of undergrad today.

I’m done.

Doesn’t feel any different. But it probably will when I go out and *gulp* start working.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Took my last real final today. Now I just have a final in CAPSIM to do over the next week and then I'm done.

Until the 15th when I start summer school :rip:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

First semester of grad school done!!!!! I marginally escaped within program standards! Good experience though. Got me back in the groove after 4 years away. Should be smooth sailing from here.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Booger Presley posted:

17 page religion paper written. Drunkeness incoming. One more week!

I feel you. I just got done on a 15 page report on the state of photography and semiotic communication.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Tomorrow I'll be done with all the work I'll ever do in college. Feels weird.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Got a crim exam tomorrow and a Con law exam tuesday and I'm done for the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

semiotic

The first time I heard that word it was in the context of canned pasta and performance art and now it's the only association I can make.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm in my last week before my final projects/finals are due in my last semester and I'm sucking it up hard. I'll definitely not fail any classes but I'm worried about my GPA taking a huge dive from last semester. :ohdear:

After this though, smooth sailing. I have a paid internship lined up and one final class in Fall. Going to be so incredibly happy once this semester is done.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Four more weeks left before closing out the first year of grad school. I’m interviewing a c-suite business guy today for a class today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Got a crim exam tomorrow and a Con law exam tuesday and I'm done for the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How were your first semester grades? Any summer job?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

How were your first semester grades? Any summer job?

Middle of the pack and public defenders office. Gonna get lit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Middle of the pack and public defenders office. Gonna get lit

Middle of the pack is probably where you’ll end up rank wise. Maybe a little ahead. That’s not necessarily terrible, but you’re probably not going to end up in biglaw.

Depending on the part of the country you end up in, expect starting salaries to be around $35-50k. Lawyer salaries are in the toilet and continue to drop. I have heard partners brag that they can pay entry levels less than some paralegals.

What I’m saying is, it’s not too late to get a masters or a phd in an actual field where you can make money. If you don’t care about money and want to help people, likewise it’s much faster and lucrative to get a MSW or the like and go into public service. Faster degree and higher pay while actually doing something good for people and society.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My wife is in BigLaw. They just sent her to Beijing for three months because the office was shorthanded. I would not be surprised if they extend her because they give zero fucks about your family life. Don't go into law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Congrats on having a wife that makes absolute bank but you never see. At least she can’t bitch about you smoking weed when she gets back stateside outside of the 4-5 hours she’s home every night.

Also are they hiring? I’ll go live in hong kong for a bit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
This is all old news to me. I'm doing this because the work brings me purpose. I have 0 interest grinding out a 40 hour work week in an industry Ondont give a poo poo about in order to make enough to pay for a nice car/house/whatever.

With my 0 expense lifestyle, VA disability payments and VA homeloan I should be en route to a fairly comfortable lifestyle even at 50k a year. I feel like we've had this same exchange in the past. I've read the lawyer thread for years and have a number of relatives working as attorneys across the country.

Also are you really advising someone to get a MSW as any type of net gain for employability?

Edit: Starting salary for PDs here is just shy of 55k with regular pay bumps to around 100k after 10 years if you can hack it

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 5, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m saying if your goal is to do good for humanity, you’ll probably be able to find work easier with that or another graduate degree aimed at charitable work.

But yeah, i know i’m not going to deter you, but i’m still gonna try. You’ll be able to get a job just by virtue of being a vet in the right state. Hope it works out for you.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Does anyone have any experience double dipping between VA Bennie's and employer reimbursements or negotiating tactics for saying you have college benefits already and could trade them for salary bump/other?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m saying if your goal is to do good for humanity, you’ll probably be able to find work easier with that or another graduate degree aimed at charitable work.

But yeah, i know i’m not going to deter you, but i’m still gonna try. You’ll be able to get a job just by virtue of being a vet in the right state. Hope it works out for you.

Heh I do appreciate it. Honestly if I would've read this forum prior to enlisting I definitely would've avoided going nuke like the loving plague. That poo poo was a real mistake; being a lawyer has way more upside.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats on having a wife that makes absolute bank but you never see. At least she can’t bitch about you smoking weed when she gets back stateside outside of the 4-5 hours she’s home every night.

Also are they hiring? I’ll go live in hong kong for a bit.

The HK office does indeed need people, and that works for you because English is the language of choice in that city. You're going to need Mandarin for the M&A and good luck learning because Mandarin is a poo poo-tier language in HK.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm p sure its a formality but if the admissions people email you wanting your spring grades for an early decision app, I automatically assume that means my application is borderline.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The HK office does indeed need people, and that works for you because English is the language of choice in that city. You're going to need Mandarin for the M&A and good luck learning because Mandarin is a poo poo-tier language in HK.

What is M&A?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm assuming mergers and acquisitions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: like i’m ever learning mandarin. I do have an honors business certificate like that matters.

lightpole posted:

I'm assuming mergers and acquisitions.

Correct.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: like i’m ever learning mandarin.

It's not impossible :shobon:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Murders and executions, mainly

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

Murders and executions, mainly

You must think I'm dumb. You must think all blondes are dumb.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

You must think I'm dumb. You must think all blondes are dumb.

Just going off my sample to represent the population with P < alpha at .01 it is statistically significant.

I need one more engineering type class for next fall. Taking Data Analytics, maybe Engineering Entrepreneurship and an R class. Not sure if the business school has a better entrepreneurship course and I really want engineering systems or some sort of course on complexity/chaos theory/risk although I'm up for anything interesting, maybe another finance course. Maybe I'll just do 4 units of independent study.

I'm not a fan of the lovely scheduling here.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I did a course on R this semester, it’s pretty easy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

R is a super awesome piece of software. I use it at work all the time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
That’s the statistics program right? I messed around with it a bit but the learning curve seemed really steep and I didn’t actually have any reason to use it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Nah, not a steep learning curve at all, if you know what statistics problem you’re trying to solve. I’m a geology major with no background at all in programming, and I had no problem banging out my labs with occasional googling.
R is free as well, so just pick it up if you ever need it for anything. Really cool product, I thought.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're going to learn a statistical software, I would suggest doing a little homework as to what your chosen industry uses. Mine uses SPSS and SAS, but I trained in school to use Stata with like a week of SPSS and no SAS. Fortunately work was nice enough to let me show that I know how to use Stata and then I was able to OJT the others.

Then I stopped using any of them because it's for nerds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I am still under the impression R had more utility across subjects and companies over SAS which is why I was going that route. All the MBAs getting a Data Analytics certificate wanted to learn more R. I just have the opportunity to do so.

Still need another class that's interesting.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We like it in pharmaceuticals because it's free, whereas SAS is very expensive (but still an awesome piece of software). It's very good at graphics and even does vector graphics which is amazing for posters. If you do a lot of statistical testing STATA is better but R has a broad range of applications.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I should learn R at some point. Right now I get away just fine cleaning poo poo up in Excel, ArcGIS, and then back into Excel to do pivot tables and charts. I'm not planning on sticking with this job for more than a couple years after I get back from this deployment so I need to keep learning stuff that I don't do at work.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just type "R AND (task)" into Google and you'll find all the free documentation you could ever want.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I do half my learning at 1.5x with youtube.