Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roasting a 9 year old is pretty much always a bad look. They have half a brain, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If roasting someone with half a brain isn’t okay, explain the Zaurg thread.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They have the other half.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
At that age they can't tell right from wrong. Or at least, not in the way an adult can. If an adult is enabling her, in her mind her behaviour is just fine.

Also Australia had a Royal Commission into the banks. I'd say they're bad with money but they made out like bandits - charging dead people for financial advice, someone's assistant impersonated a client on the phone to find out how much they had in retirement savings, advising people to borrow too much money... It's atrocious.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
One soft slap in the wrist, coming up!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
yeah don't go after a kid who is the product of lovely parenting

go after the lovely mother who was abusing her job to fill her daughter with terrible values and unsustainable behaviors

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My boss' birthday was yesterday and we took her out for an office lunch.

She was stressed out because her custody agreement with her daughter's dad doesn't specify costs for sports/activities.

He has been contributing about $2,000 a year for their (I think she is now 5-years old) daughter's tumbling costs; but, apparently, the total tumbling costs my boss paid were over $18,000 last year.

They split everything else 50/50 in the agreement and she is considering redoing the custody agreement because he won't contribute half since it isn't in writing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 11, 2018

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Median household income for the city I live in: $26,475

That 5 year old jumping on a trampoline for a year: $20,000

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Twenty grand a year for goddamn somersaults? Like you couldn't find some people to roll little kids down a hill for cheaper?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

metallicaeg posted:

Median household income for the city I live in: $26,475

That 5 year old jumping on a trampoline for a year: $20,000

I have been told - many times - that tumbling is not gymnastics, does not involve trampolines, and is not cheerleading.

Get it right, you philistine.

Panfilo posted:

Twenty grand a year for goddamn somersaults? Like you couldn't find some people to roll little kids down a hill for cheaper?

She's gone over the details a bunch before. The gist is that it is a "competitive" tumbling team and the total fees include travel costs (once a month at different places around the country), uniforms, hiring a private coach, food, and other things too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Having a nasty divorce is BWM when you end up with a vindictive ex spouse that tries to get you on the hook for all this poo poo and refusing ends up making you look like a selfish rear end in a top hat to your kids.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"competitive" tumbling team

I'm fundamentally unable to stop picturing a bunch of children rolling uncontrollably down a hill

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ChickenWing posted:

I'm fundamentally unable to stop picturing a bunch of children rolling uncontrollably down a hill

First down the hill wins! WEEEEE!!!

In general, paying for your kids sports is BWM because most of them are either going to eventually get so sick of playing that sport they'll hate it, or they just don't end up being good enough to make any money at it. Pushing that kid all the way into the pros though is supremely GWM for like 5 sports.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

$20k/yr for a bunch of cool trips and experiences that this kid is barely going to even remember. Is the mom at least going on with her?? I did gymnastics for a short time as a 6 year old and damned if I can remember any bit of it besides how fun it was to jump into the foam pit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

ChickenWing posted:

There are plenty of grumpy sleep deprived parents sadistic enough to coach that for free.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Five year olds are notoriously competitive, twenty grand well spent.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Having your kid do a sport is fine. It's when you go down the rabbit hole of paying for them to do stuff competitively & with traveling teams that you start to have a bad time:

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/how-to-deal-with-the-high-cost-of-childrens-sports/ posted:

According to data from the National Council on Youth Sports, one of the best ways to participate in kid’s sports without breaking the bank is to choose sporting events carefully and wisely. That advice includes sticking with local, recreational sports whenever possible and staying away from some of the more expensive, organized sports.

Kids Play USA Foundation points out that “elite teams,” also called travel teams, are some of the most expensive options out there when it comes to children’s sports.

“The cost to participate on these teams can be quite exorbitant because of the extensive travel expenses that must be borne by the participating families. Depending on the sport and the team, travel expenses for these elite teams can range well into the thousands of dollars per child per season,” they note on their website.

Our hope as a family is to put our kids in sports that don’t take up too much of our financial resources as a family, but to also avoid the countless hours families of travel team members spend shuttling from town to town and state to state. That move alone should save us both time and money, and also help to preserve the quality family time we covet so much.

I have been told - many times - that tumbling is not gymnastics, does not involve trampolines, and is not cheerleading.

Get it right, you philistine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHQFP9SaEFs
Youtube is lying to me? :ohdear: (I'm still not really sure what tumbling is other than flipping & rolling forward/backward a lot.)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 11, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sirotan posted:

$20k/yr for a bunch of cool trips and experiences that this kid is barely going to even remember. Is the mom at least going on with her?? I did gymnastics for a short time as a 6 year old and damned if I can remember any bit of it besides how fun it was to jump into the foam pit.

Yes, she does.

I just checked and I actually posted about this over a year ago when I first heard about it. Here's my older posts for context:

My boss (makes approximately 104k per year) is currently complaining to her personal assistant (makes about 32k per year) that she is having a fight with her ex-husband (who she lives with to "stay together for the kid") about money.

She bought her daughter American Girl Doll pajamas - these are pajamas for her doll - for $240 and her ex-husband won't pay for half of the cost and wants to get her something different from him.

She is also fighting with him about cosigning for a personal loan for 20k to pay for the following for her daughter:

- 1 hour of private tumbling instruction a week
- Membership fee for a traveling tumbling/cheerleading team
- Uniforms and time with a professional choreographer (these are apparently required as part of the team)
- Travel expenses for the tumbling team
- Multiple pairs (for backups) of some kind of special cheerleading/tumbling shoe that apparently costs several hundred dollars.

Her daughter is 4-years old.

She's now complaining that she is very upset that the tumbling team, choreographer, and personal tumbling instructor all require cash or check and won't take a credit card.

She wants her ex-husband to cosign the loan because she can't get a personal loan (even with 104k a year in income) because she has too much current debt.

Told her personal assistant (32k per year) that you can't have kids and live on her (104k) salary.

*HER DAUGHTER IS 4*

Who is going to a traveling tumbling/cheerleading competition (the team goes to meets once a month all over the country and travel expenses are part of the dues upfront) to watch 4-year olds other than the parents of those 4-year olds and wealthy pedophiles?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Most goons in this thread would in fact agree that you can't afford jobs on $100k a year. To goons, kids are a bigger money sink than horses-

:goonsay: "They need to be exercised regularly or else they'll get ornery and chew off all the upholstery in your house. You need to constantly be watching them because children are more suicidal than even horses and will find every bottle cap sized object to cram into their trachea. Babysitters charge an arm and a leg and pediatricians are always trying to up sell you on things like 'vaccinations' and orthopedics to correct scoliosis. They get more ear infections than purebred purse dogs, are vectors for colon blasting viral infections, and constantly have to be purged of lice and pinworms. What's worse is they live a really goddamn long time - chances are you're gonna be in your eighties and they'll still be clawing at your front door begging for pop tarts and college tuition. Once they get big they can get pregnant really easy too,and good luck finding a home for those babies at that point!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yikes. My kid goes to a pretty competitive karate studio. Our costs: $1625 annually for tuition, $150 for protective gear and uniform, $120 entrance fees for two regional tournaments. And a couple gallons of gas to drive to the tournaments. If my kid continues doing well, she may be invited to a tournament in the UK in a couple of years that will set us back maybe a couple thousand for airfare and accommodations.

In other words, $20K would more than cover the rest of my kid's involvement with karate into adulthood over a decade from now, if she chooses to continue it that long.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

The Macaroni posted:

Yikes. My kid goes to a pretty competitive karate studio. Our costs: $1625 annually for tuition, $150 for protective gear and uniform, $120 entrance fees for two regional tournaments. And a couple gallons of gas to drive to the tournaments. If my kid continues doing well, she may be invited to a tournament in the UK in a couple of years that will set us back maybe a couple thousand for airfare and accommodations.

In other words, $20K would more than cover the rest of my kid's involvement with karate into adulthood over a decade from now, if she chooses to continue it that long.

The best martial arts schools are the ones where the instructor's kid is competitive, and the entire school exists to finance the kid's trips to junior nationals and beyond.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Crazy Mike posted:

The best martial arts schools are the ones where the instructor's kid is competitive, and the entire school exists to finance the kid's trips to junior nationals and beyond.
The guy who founded the studio back in the 60s is pretty awesome. Even though he was a competitor at the international level (and was the NBC commentator for tae kwon do at the the 2016 Summer Olympics), he always refused to make the studio his main source of income, and he only raises the tuition about once a decade. He's retired and his daughter runs the studio now, but she has the same mindset. Their Facebook feed is adorable--every now and then he'll pipe up with old man commentary like "Make sure that kid keeps his left arm up!" or "Great work at the tournament, I'm so proud of you baby!"

Just up the road are a couple of places like what you describe: double the tuition or more for what amounts to 45 minutes of babysitting, "tournaments" with giant but flimsy participation trophies, and belt promotions every 8 weeks. (Each belt promotion comes with a $75 "testing fee.") Many of those other places don't even compete in our studio's federation because we'd chew them up and spit them out. My kid won a medal in her first legit competition and it literally weighs more than the participation trophy she got from her last studio.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Crazy Mike posted:

:-(

That's the story with my gym, Mjölnir, here in Iceland. Gunnar Nelson is one of the few professional MMA fighters in Iceland, and our astronomical fees are objectively to subsidize his career and fund flights for the in-crowd to go to the international competitions.

It's about 2.5x the cost of the largest gym franchise, but Mjölnir's lunchtime fitness classes are so good and have helped my fitness pursuits so much, that I pay it anyway, but I'm deffo bitter about it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

poopinmymouth posted:

:-(

That's the story with my gym, Mjölnir, here in Iceland. Gunnar Nelson is one of the few professional MMA fighters in Iceland, and our astronomical fees are objectively to subsidize his career and fund flights for the in-crowd to go to the international competitions.

It's about 2.5x the cost of the largest gym franchise, but Mjölnir's lunchtime fitness classes are so good and have helped my fitness pursuits so much, that I pay it anyway, but I'm deffo bitter about it.

i take a lot of america-europe trips on the cheap nowadays because of various reasons and every time i land in iceland this baffles me

you have 330 000 peeps in your entire goddamn country

the city district i grew up in (songpagu, seoul, korea) has 650 000 people. not the city, the city district

the apartment block where i was born was part of an apartment complex with 15 000 peeps in it. it had exactly two martial arts thingies

how do you even... have things and do things

(also i saw an avocado sandwich for 1500 isk. fresh food in icy rock in the middle of the atlantic: bwm)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 11, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i take a lot of america-europe trips on the cheap nowadays because of various reasons and every time i land in iceland this baffles me

the city district i grew up in (songpagu, seoul, korea) has 650 000 people. not the city, the city district

the apartment block where i was born was part of an apartment complex with 15 000 peeps in it. it had exactly two martial arts thingies

(also i saw an avocado sandwich for 1500 isk. fresh food in icy rock in the middle of the atlantic: bwm)

Didn't someone do some math and calculated that around 5% of Iceland's eligible male population is on their World Cup team this year?

I want to take a full-on trip there, the only time I've been in Iceland was when I was on the tarmac changing planes in Keflavík this winter. I flew Icelandair and it was a real good trip and the ticketing folks saved my rear end when there was a storm in Boston that would've caused me to miss my connecting flight.

edit: actually the Iceland Tourism Board or equivalent deserve kudos for how they've made a tiny, cold volcanic island into a tourism hotbed ( :v: ). Almost everyone I know has either taken a trip there or is planning to take a trip there. GWM to turn what should be a pretty ho-hum area into a big tourist magnet and get all that foreign :10bux:

D2: The Mighty Ducks probably deserves some credit too. When I was a kid Iceland was one of the few European countries I knew thanks to that movie. And I knew that Iceland was nice and Greenland was the one that's all frozen and covered in ice.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 11, 2018

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Simple. If Reykjavik didn't have it, Icelanders can't experience it.

Any other tiny city/town has a nearby capital or bigger city to latch onto making the business model of opening in that tinier town unaffordable. But here, if there isn't a specialty sewing machine repair shop, and your machine breaks, tough titties, you have to wait weeks/months and pay 27% VAT to order from abroad.

It also helps that our general wages, quality of life, and unemployment numbers are all quite good, so most Icelanders have pretty reasonable disposable income, but we're trending downward so who knows what changes that will bring.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Sirotan posted:

The foam pit is boss. We have had some of my kids' birthday parties at the gymnastics place, and it always ends up with 90% of the kids spending 90% of their time jumping into the pit.

But generally I hope my kids are bad at sports so there is no temptation to deal with the travel scene (cost plus inconvenience).

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ChickenWing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr5GlvRFNmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79BYChyBcZQ

Tumbling is pretty cool, but I don't see why you'd spend 20k for pre-school tumbling unless the kid wants to devote their entire life to the sport. This sounds more like something you'd hear in horror stories about Chinese olympic talent scouting schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2k-tsTzXDY

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 11, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My boss' birthday was yesterday and we took her out for an office lunch.

She was stressed out because her custody agreement with her daughter's dad doesn't specify costs for sports/activities.

He has been contributing about $2,000 a year for their (I think she is now 5-years old) daughter's tumbling costs; but, apparently, the total tumbling costs my boss paid were over $18,000 last year.

They split everything else 50/50 in the agreement and she is considering redoing the custody agreement because he won't contribute half since it isn't in writing.

I would argue dad is contributing 100% of a 5 year old's annual luxury sports commitment.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

H110Hawk posted:

I would argue dad is contributing 100% of a 5 year old's annual luxury sports commitment.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
If he's willing to pay $2,000 a year for this then maybe she should find an activity that only costs $4,000 a year?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

H110Hawk posted:

I would put it closer to 2000%

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Looking forward to your follow up post where it turns out she managed to renegotiate the custody agreement so that she gets more tumbling money but far less money overall.

Also thats a weird thing to exclude, did tumbling thing start before the divorce?

Panfilo posted:

If he's willing to pay $2,000 a year for this then maybe she should find an activity that only costs $4,000 a year?

But then all her friends who pay 20k a year for children to jump around competitively will think she is poor not dedicated to her child.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

CellarDweller posted:

But then all her friends who pay 20k a year for children to jump around competitively will think she is poor not dedicated to her child.

Wasn't this also the lady who only buys high end children's clothes or something because Carter's would "make her kid look like a street rat" or was that someone else?

I'll never forget that story because I love Carter's. Comfy clothes for my kids. They're not even that cheap.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CellarDweller posted:

Looking forward to your follow up post where it turns out she managed to renegotiate the custody agreement so that she gets more tumbling money but far less money overall.

Also thats a weird thing to exclude, did tumbling thing start before the divorce?

I don't know exactly when they got divorced, but it was very shortly after or before the kid was born.

The crazy thing is, as far as I know, she doesn't have anyone else in her social circle whose kid does tumbling. The other tumbling moms are all people she met after starting.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Wasn't this also the lady who only buys high end children's clothes or something because Carter's would "make her kid look like a street rat" or was that someone else?

I'll never forget that story because I love Carter's. Comfy clothes for my kids. They're not even that cheap.

That's our HR lady. And she has never expressed an opinion about Carter's, but she was very upset that her mother-in-law bought her son clothes for Christmas (which she has apparently told her not to do multiple times) from Kohl's. Kohl's (I don't even know if Kohl's has its own line of clothes or what) apparently is notorious for clothing hood rats.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

I don't know exactly when they got divorced, but it was very shortly after or before the kid was born.

The crazy thing is, as far as I know, she doesn't have anyone else in her social circle whose kid does tumbling. The other tumbling moms are all people she met after starting.

That's our HR lady. And she has never expressed an opinion about Carter's, but she was very upset that her mother-in-law bought her son clothes for Christmas (which she has apparently told her not to do multiple times) from Kohl's. Kohl's (I don't even know if Kohl's has its own line of clothes or what) apparently is notorious for clothing hood rats.

Ahhh right. Kohl's sells the Carter's brand, that's probably where I got the association.

Still lol at Kohl's being "hood rat clothes."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8imyrc/separating_finances_with_spouse/ posted:

I'm considering pitching the idea to my wife that we should split our finances up.

My reasoning for this is that I make 2 times what my wife does and am finding that her discretionary spending is getting completely out of control... so much so that it's affecting our joint finances as a whole. It's gotten to the point where I can't properly service my business debts (I have a rental property and a side business detailing cars). We have a lot of extra money coming in but the constant spending is blowing a huge hole in our finances.

According to my calculations we should have $1,800 a month left over to save after everything. And yet, we are in the red by about $400 a month. We cannot do this much longer. I realize that I am likely a part of the problem and was hoping that this would help to hold me accountable as well.

I have put together a budget where our joint debts and expenses are paid out of a joint account based on percentage of income. So, for the mortgage which is $1125 a month, I pay two thirds which is $743 and she pays $383, and so on. This also includes an allotment to a savings. I've worked it out where we each pay our own cars, student loans and own unsecured debts. On paper, we should both have money left over to save and stop fighting about money.

Has anyone else done this? How did it work out for you and what can you recommend for me?

Where is her discretionary spending going? "My wife also has a LipSense business"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Ahhh right. Kohl's sells the Carter's brand, that's probably where I got the association.

Still lol at Kohl's being "hood rat clothes."
See, poors shop at Kohl's, because it's inexpensive. You don't want people thinking your kid is a poor, do you? :monocle:

Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but I don't think I could even tell apart different brands of kid's clothes. Because they're kid's clothes. They're going to get dirty and ripped up unless you make sure your kid never has a chance to be a kid. They're never going to be particularly fancy or distinctive.

e:

tomapot posted:

Where is her discretionary spending going? "My wife also has a LipSense business"
:sever:, also :sever: his business finances from his personal finances so he doesn't end up in situations like "I can't service my business debts because my wife's burning all our money in an MLM."

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 11, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Aside from the rest of it, he needs to have a separate account for his side business and only pull out the profits. Taxes and expenses should never hit his personal account, that’s an accounting nightmare.

On the other hand if she thinks spending thousands on an MLM is a good idea she might think he’s trying to keep money from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Bankruptcy seems to be the only way out

quote:

Here is a link to a comprehensive spreadsheet showing the total family debt, including a breakout of mine vs. my wife's. https://i.imgur.com/5sxl1sW.png

We have a baby due in about a month, rent our apartment, and have the follow bills:

Unsecured debt min. payments: $3725
Cars & Insurance: $1608.65 (insurance includes apartment, engagement ring, and car)
Apartment+ Utilities: $1717.86
Student Loans: Deferral
Incidentals (cell, internet, spotify): $206
Total: $7,258.96

Car loans:

Car 1: $30,881.50 @ $581/ month 7.95% interest
Car 2: $41,529 @ $752 / month 9.99% interest
Net income: $7,319.38

Please help! Is bankruptcy the only option? I'm happy to answer all questions. Also, yes I know I've hosed up. Just trying to fix this issue instead of ignoring it.

Linked spreadsheet shows $128k worth of debt spread over a zillion credit cards and store accounts, most of it at >20% rates, and this is SEPARATE from the $71k in car debt (he estimates the cars are underwater by $20k).

I hate these people.