Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Endless Mike posted:

The only home use I can conceive of is having an iPad permanently mounted to a wall for home automation stuff and you just really, really want to be sure it has consistent connection, but that's both niche and unnecessarily anal.

Unless the ethernet to lightning thing also charges, that isn't gonna work out so well. Unless you get more adapters to split the lighting port. Which is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No see what you get is a poe injector that can supply power to the ipad and keep it charged.

Just a long trail of dongles down to the floor.

"Sure it looks sketch but I didn't have to buy a 5ghz wifi ap to use my $500 tablet." :smug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, I need the reliability and speed of *wired* connections. Yes that little SOHO switch has 10/100 ports, why do you ask?

I’m also planning on building a runway in the vacant lot across the street to attract planes to land and leave some neat stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I imagine for troubleshooting their wifi. That's like the #2 reason I plug a computer into ethernet. Though if I only had an iPad in my life maybe I'd just spend less time doing nerdy home networking poo poo and instead like frolic in dog parks or train for triathlons or whatever people who have their priorities right do with their time.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I was in an airport terminal recently in which every seat, literally every seat in the terminal, had an iPad mounted in a little stand in front of it. Every single seat, including every seat at every table in every restaurant, all the waiting areas... Everywhere. There were thousands of iPads in this terminal. I have no idea who conceived of such a thing or who approved it, but I have to assume that's the use case.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

tuyop posted:

I imagine for troubleshooting their wifi. That's like the #2 reason I plug a computer into ethernet. Though if I only had an iPad in my life maybe I'd just spend less time doing nerdy home networking poo poo and instead like frolic in dog parks or train for triathlons or whatever people who have their priorities right do with their time.

Yeah maybe. Just seems like a super weird niche. Like, a person who owns an iPad but no other computer is way more likely to be the person who just calls someone to fix their WiFi rather than troubleshooting it themselves. I'm sure I've given this too much thought at this point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hypnophant posted:

I was in an airport terminal recently in which every seat, literally every seat in the terminal, had an iPad mounted in a little stand in front of it. Every single seat, including every seat at every table in every restaurant, all the waiting areas... Everywhere. There were thousands of iPads in this terminal. I have no idea who conceived of such a thing or who approved it, but I have to assume that's the use case.

Was that Newark? Because I went to a restaurant there and had to use an ipad to order but everything about it was broken, horrible and confusing and my order got lost and my travelling buddy got a free beer that just arrived despite not having ordered it. That was a couple years back so hopefully they have ironed out the kinks.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I think it might have been Houston, but it was probably the same set up. I did get my order quickly and correctly, although no better than most airport service I've had. Everything else about the experience was awful, though - the thing constantly had ads flashing on the screen, the mount took up half the counter space, the ordering app was slow and janky. I also didn't see a single one being used other than to order food. I did see a few people using it to rest their own iPad or laptop on, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it kind of reeks of questionable purchase decisions with a side of kickbacks to me. Goin for a modern thing while being total overkill and unnecessary.

The servers at the Newark restaurant had nothing good to say about them, that’s for sure. They couldn’t take orders themselves they were just always being waved over to help enter the order into the ipad or give people a different one because one had crashed/locked up.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

One use is for iPads as point-of-sale systems.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iPad + some software is usually way cheaper than whatever custom POS system they would need anyways.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the best spam call blocker app? Also is there a good caller id app that’s free?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s the best spam call blocker app? Also is there a good caller id app that’s free?

Hiya is pretty good to block known spam/scam numbers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are on AT&T they have their own app called Call Protect that blocks spam calls.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

withak posted:

If you are on AT&T they have their own app called Call Protect that blocks spam calls.

Which is a white labeled Hiya.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hiya is pretty good to block known spam/scam numbers.

Thanks.

Yeah, T-Mobile has their own service too but some garbage still gets through.:argh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

Which is a white labeled Hiya.

Sounds like they use Hiya data but also do something at the network level so that scam calls get a busy signal or whatever instead of just hanging up on them like the app does. Apparently you can use it without even installing the app, the app is just an interface for whatever network thing they are doing.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I use the ATT option, but also the free app TrueCaller. I used TrueCaller before ATT started offering their service, and it's always seemed to work pretty well for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There are all kinds of niche iPad products. I will someday spend $70 on a Lightening port iPad console cable so that I can log into Cisco routers without hauling around a laptop. But the fact I haven't shows just how rarely I need to log into a Cisco router with my iPad.

Steam streaming to my iPad sounds great. Now I can waste even more time on Into the Breach.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now I can waste even more time on Into the Breach.

This is one game I’m dreaming gets ported.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There are all kinds of niche iPad products. I will someday spend $70 on a Lightening port iPad console cable so that I can log into Cisco routers without hauling around a laptop. But the fact I haven't shows just how rarely I need to log into a Cisco router with my iPad.

Steam streaming to my iPad sounds great. Now I can waste even more time on Into the Breach.

If you have AC wifi you can already stream perfectly using any remote desktop or vnc software. Steam streaming will be doing nothing new and special. Go ahead and play ITB on your ipad because I do and it loving owns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

If you have AC wifi you can already stream perfectly using any remote desktop or vnc software. Steam streaming will be doing nothing new and special. Go ahead and play ITB on your ipad because I do and it loving owns.

Do the controls work well on an iPad using remote desktop?

I was playing it on a Mac streaming to my PC and it was kind of laggy, but that doesn't hurt a turn based game much.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Microsoft RDP has really good input translation and it's what I use for the most part. If you're experiencing lag you might have an underpowered host CPU or your wifi connection might not be solid. AC over 5ghz has poor wall penetration combined with the fact that game streaming doesn't cope well with hiccups chances are not great for a lag-free experience. I used to run an i5 2500k and it wasn't powerful enough to drive game streaming without hitches but my 8700k will stream anything like a champ.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone got the big iPad Pro and the youtube app? I'm curious what resolution the youtube app lets you stream 360 videos on that platform. Here is an 8K 360 for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUwdtERUOM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone got the big iPad Pro and the youtube app? I'm curious what resolution the youtube app lets you stream 360 videos on that platform. Here is an 8K 360 for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rUwdtERUOM

It gives me a max resolution of 2160s.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krispy Wafer posted:

It gives me a max resolution of 2160s.

Thanks! That's 1 setting below what the native res is which is 4320s. Too bad.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Proteus Jones posted:

???

Why would you need one?

Lol, for fucks sake of course there's one. For a couple dollars less you can get a 3x3 dual channel 802.11ac router and move your entire network into the present instead of being stuck in 2005.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wireless-AiProtection-Compatible-RT-AC68U/dp/B01N08LPPP

802.11ac can gently caress off... but so can a $100 ethernet adapter.

Even with the weird-rear end tech needs this place is that adapter makes very little sense, I'm sticking to 802.11n but the upgrade would cost just north of $200. For little to no performance upgrade over n.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

802.11ac can gently caress off... but so can a $100 ethernet adapter.

Even with the weird-rear end tech needs this place is that adapter makes very little sense, I'm sticking to 802.11n but the upgrade would cost just north of $200. For little to no performance upgrade over n.

What a weird position to take on 802.11ac. But whatever makes you happy (and slow) I guess.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Proteus Jones posted:

What a weird position to take on 802.11ac. But whatever makes you happy (and slow) I guess.

If I need fast, I've got cable to it. If I need an impossible-to-navigate maze of lovely devices, I've got 802.11ac.

I mean, I guess it isn't the standard, it's literally every affordable implementation I've come across.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wireless internet standards, what a weird hill to die on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is weird. You just buy a tp-link c7 like everyone else on earth and don’t worry about it. Wireless file transfers can realistically max out platter hdds! It’s pretty nice for all sorts of stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait what the gently caress is wrong with wireless internet being fast lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
802.11ac stuff has gotten a lot cheaper. I needed a solution to stream an 30mb video stream in my house that choked my 802.11n connection. 2 years ago that meant a $100 bridge that may or may not work. I recently checked again and found a great option for $30 that works like a champ.

So maybe endlessmonotony hasn't checked prices or options recently. 802.11ac is real good now. It wasn't so good a short time ago.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I'm curious what the go-to for organizing daily life is these days.

Right now I use Fantastical and put in my official classes/lessons I have to teach, as well as doctors appointments.

For what I actually have to do in those classes I'm using OneNote and a physical planner. I use the planner more than OneNote these days because it is easier to divide stuff up by day, but sometimes I run out of space with all the little notes and fine-tuning I need to do for each class.

Is there a planner-like app I could be using? A way I could setup OneNote to be less overwhelming than a giant to-do list with a hundred days and ten categories under each day?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Wafer posted:

802.11ac stuff has gotten a lot cheaper. I needed a solution to stream an 30mb video stream in my house that choked my 802.11n connection. 2 years ago that meant a $100 bridge that may or may not work. I recently checked again and found a great option for $30 that works like a champ.

So maybe endlessmonotony hasn't checked prices or options recently. 802.11ac is real good now. It wasn't so good a short time ago.

So that you don't have to guess - I know what my options are as of 2017 and they all suck.

I lack LOS - but have short physical range - in the hardware setup. And consumer grade gear is a crapshoot. And it isn't nearly as cheap where I am, mostly due to regulations requiring separate packaging at the very least.

Now, I could puzzle my way through testing consumer gear, or I could skip straight to high quality gear, but even then I'd need multiple devices to deal with the dead spots.

Networking gear QA is ridiculous nonsense half the time, and with 802.11ac routers it's a flip of a coin if you get something someone remotely sane built or the most IoT thing you can imagine. If I never have to struggle with diagnosing inexplicable network issues it'll be too soon. I'd be real curious to see what about the Steam Link app requires or even significantly benefits from ac (guess: loving nothing), and reworking my home network is not a thing I'll do voluntarily.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

I'm curious what the go-to for organizing daily life is these days.

Right now I use Fantastical and put in my official classes/lessons I have to teach, as well as doctors appointments.

For what I actually have to do in those classes I'm using OneNote and a physical planner. I use the planner more than OneNote these days because it is easier to divide stuff up by day, but sometimes I run out of space with all the little notes and fine-tuning I need to do for each class.

Is there a planner-like app I could be using? A way I could setup OneNote to be less overwhelming than a giant to-do list with a hundred days and ten categories under each day?

Check out planbook.com. I live and die by planbook.com and google drive (it integrates with planbook).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i've had a lot of great experiences hardwiring everything using fast powerline adapters

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s gonna be dependent on the house wiring. I get about 25mbit here using them, which is great if you want a stable connection where you had nothing before. My WiFi beats it hands down, though.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

tuyop posted:

Check out planbook.com. I live and die by planbook.com and google drive (it integrates with planbook).

Thanks! This looks like it will be useful. I'm still tooling around with it for now. I wish it had OneDrive integration, but I guess everything can't be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cryptoclastic posted:

Thanks! This looks like it will be useful. I'm still tooling around with it for now. I wish it had OneDrive integration, but I guess everything can't be perfect.

You could kludge one together by using your notes section to store resources that are hyperlinks to onedrive and just choosing to display notes instead of attachments in the view menu. Or both if you find that useful.

Personally, I hang out on week view with lesson titles and attachments shown. It makes it very quick to recover from tech failures and get my lessons all queued up in the morning before students arrive.