Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Propaniac posted:

Bankruptcy seems to be the only way out

Linked spreadsheet shows $128k worth of debt spread over a zillion credit cards and store accounts, most of it at >20% rates, and this is SEPARATE from the $71k in car debt (he estimates the cars are underwater by $20k).

I hate these people.

OP posted:

We have freed up all areas of the budget that we can. Killed cable, killed my phone line (use work phone), killed a lot of other things which I can't even remember all to get us under our net income. Short of calling creditors, telling them that we're going to file BK and asking for no interest so we can pay the balances off, I can't think of anything at all we can do.

Spotify? I mean, no we certainly don't need it. However, it's only like $10, so the impact is minimal.

This is dual income. I make $70k and she makes just over $51k. When the baby comes, we will have help for the first month or so, but otherwise we're on our own. We're hoping to each work from home a bit and thus only need child care for a couple of days, but as you can see, there isn't really any room here.

Consolidation: Everywhere I've applied I get declined, and though I haven't tried to apply for a 0% card, I HIGHLY doubt I'd be approved.
"Freed up all areas of the budget that we can", but still has the cars. Why?

quote:

This is an easy comment to make, but getting rid of the cars would trash our credit (negative equity) and to break the lease on our apartment is cost prohibitive and not worth it since the lease will run out in about 7 months. Cost/benefit isn't there.
So he's considering bankruptcy, but he's worried that selling the cars would ruin his credit? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I know it's easy to do and a certain amount of blame needs to be laid at the door of dealerships and banks but I am still amazed how many people get underwater on a car loan, especially for a run of the mill Chevy or other mid-tier station wagons crossovers.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
I'm the $4500 on a goddamn Old Navy card at 24% interest

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Raldikuk posted:

I'm the $4500 on a goddamn Old Navy card at 24% interest

How is it even possible to spend that much money there? I don't think a single thing in the entire store costs more than like $20

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Store credit cards aren't limited to the store they're branded as, they're usually just rebranded major credit cards with a "perk" thrown in for the related business.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Always get a good chuckle when people buy $3,000 mattresses.

Also, my assistant was excited about getting her daughter into a tumbling class or something. Maybe I"ll prod more and see if it's $20k a year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tomapot posted:

Where is her discretionary spending going? "My wife also has a LipSense business"

It's worse than just that:

quote:

it isn't uncommon for a LulaRoe or equivalent box to be on our doorstep each day. We usually see a Lipsense box once to twice a week

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't get the Sleep Number one. His current balance is higher than his starting balance. Jesus, how do people let themselves get into this sort of debt? Actually, how do credit companies let people get into this sort of debt? At what point does a CC tell someone no?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Actually, how do credit companies let people get into this sort of debt? At what point does a CC tell someone no?

Given that credit card companies main forms of income are A. Interest paid on debt, almost always at high levels, and B. Transaction fees charged while said people are adding to said debt, they don’t have a big incentive to stop people. I’m sure they make so much that uncollected debt via bankruptcy or whatever just isn’t a big enough issue to worry about.

Go capitalism.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

In Des Moines chat, I was comparing Iowa and MN taxes and there’s a window between $140k and $170k where Iowa has higher income taxes than MN, while outside that window they tax less. MN has a higher top rate, but it takes effect way higher than Iowa’s.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Propaniac posted:

Linked spreadsheet shows $128k worth of debt spread over a zillion credit cards and store accounts, most of it at >20% rates, and this is SEPARATE from the $71k in car debt (he estimates the cars are underwater by $20k).

I hate these people.

$1700 a month in interest charges, got dam

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

It's worse than just that:

So she was into Multi-MLMs?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't get the Sleep Number one. His current balance is higher than his starting balance. Jesus, how do people let themselves get into this sort of debt? Actually, how do credit companies let people get into this sort of debt? At what point does a CC tell someone no?

They get into this debt by wanting to keep up with their peers and spending like they make five times what they actually do. And the credit card companies do it, because they'll make far more off BWM idiots paying the minimum interest payment for decades, than they'll lose when the idiots become GWM and declare bankruptcy. Even the most obvious "future bankruptcy" guy can still be a profitable lend if you get them for enough interest before they declare bankruptcy.

The really scary poo poo is this line:

School Loans: Deferred

Even if he was somehow able to declare bankruptcy and get all their CC debt written off as uncollectible, it's just going to be replaced with school loan payments which are not dischargable in bankruptcy.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

tomapot posted:

So she was into Multi-MLMs?

Synergistic downlines

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The downlines are on the graph of their net worth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

In Des Moines chat, I was comparing Iowa and MN taxes and there’s a window between $140k and $170k where Iowa has higher income taxes than MN, while outside that window they tax less. MN has a higher top rate, but it takes effect way higher than Iowa’s.

What are your sales taxes like? Lots of local option stuff going on in DSM and the burbs.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mods please change my name to "controversial Asian child"

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Propaniac posted:

I hate these people.

Holy poo poo as someone who is also expecting a baby this whole scenario is nightmare fuel. The $3,300 a month in minimum payments to credit cards, the deferred student loans. They both plan on working after the kid is here, so throw another $1k a month expense on there for child care.

This kid is going to grow up not realizing he's poor until he finds out he has to take care of his parents when they retire because they were up to their eyeballs in debt with multiple bankruptcies under their belt.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Bankruptcy probably is the only option for them isn’t it? I’d think it’d be far more cost efficient.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Don't trust people, folks. Tying in to the conversation a few days back.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/contact7/contact7-couple-says-would-be-homebuyers-smeared-feces-caused-40k-worth-of-damage

quote:

EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. -- You can't even step foot inside Paul and Jenny Fisch's home without wearing a breathing mask. Their dream home was destroyed after they thought the house was sold.

"I mean, there was just no words... the feces and the urine spread all over our white cabinets, all over our hardwood floor, it was even on the ceiling - 10-foot ceilings," said Jenny Fisch, the homeowner.

The Fischs put their home on the market for $450,000 and the first offer they received was for full asking price. They were elated but there was a catch, the buyers wanted to rent the home with the promise they would close in three months.

"We were told these people were 100 percent qualified, there was no question about it," said Jenny Fisch.

Everything seemed to be fine and they had no reason to doubt the offer. The realtor drafted up a contract with information about the loan and a closing date of January 31, 2018. The deadline came and went without the buyers closing on their home even though they were already living in it.

"What do we do? The only thing we have left to do is start an eviction," said Paul Fisch.

The couple even attempted to work out a new deal with the would-be buyers so they could continue renting and eventually purchase the home. The buyers stopped paying rent and they had no choice but to evict them. It wasn't a quick process. 

Paul and Jenny Fisch weren't prepared for what they were about to find when they showed up to their home with a sheriff's deputy to finally kick the people out.

"When she walked out her face was like, 'it's bad," said Paul Fisch.

Floors were covered in urine, there was feces everywhere and the smell was overwhelming. The house was absolutely filthy and completely trashed.

"And I lost it, I just lost it. I was like, 'I don't understand why we have to go through this.' I mean we hired people and now my beautiful dream home is covered in feces and I don't know how we're going to fix it," said Jenny Fisch.

Contact7 started digging and it turns out the buyer was pre-approved for a loan but only if he completed a program and improved his credit score. The lender said that never happened. This information was not made available to the Fischs and they only found out after the deal fell through.

The couple said their agent and the buyer's agent assured them everything was good when they agreed to let the buyers rent. Denver7 contacted RE/MAX, the buyers realtor, but a spokesperson said realtors don't qualify buyers and it is up to the lender.

"It's their fault and nobody wants to help us," said Jenny Fisch.

The Fischs tried to filed a report with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office but they were told it was a civil matter. They also attempted to contact Child Protective Services because a child was in the home as well as animal control because seven dogs and three cats were found inside.

It gets worse. Their insurance won't cover the damage. A spokesperson for Auto-Owners Insurance said they had no comment on the situation.

Now the couple is paying a mortgage on a home they can't live in and trying to figure out how to come up with the funds to pay for repairs. The would-be buyers are nowhere to be found and Denver7 has not been able to make contact with them.

"It was insane to me how somebody could live in such a nice home and in a matter of months, destroy everything," said Paul Fisch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean, they were dumb as hell to agree to that, but that's loving horrific.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Aren't there a lot of gotchas with disclosures and realtors? I would think the "100% qualified" would be your basis for a lawsuit if they've got that in writing and if the agents knew the buyers were not in fact qualified.

In this situation you just sue everyone and hope for the best. I mean, first you don't get into this situation. But if you're in this situation you make everyone hire a lawyer.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

What are your sales taxes like? Lots of local option stuff going on in DSM and the burbs.

Bad, but not on clothes for whatever reason.

Also new thread title!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aren't there a lot of gotchas with disclosures and realtors? I would think the "100% qualified" would be your basis for a lawsuit if they've got that in writing and if the agents knew the buyers were not in fact qualified.

In this situation you just sue everyone and hope for the best. I mean, first you don't get into this situation. But if you're in this situation you make everyone hire a lawyer.

Those contracts are entirely stacked towards the realtor, trust me. I mean sure, you can file suit for just about any reason, but there's no "gotcha" contractually that will peg the realtor down.

Like I said a few pages ago, do never rent to buyers pre-close.

Edit: the "qualified" or "pre-approved" process is just as much bullshit today as it was before the last housing crash. They are essentially meaningless. Nothing is guaranteed until the house purchase is closed.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 12, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, they were dumb as hell to agree to that, but that's loving horrific.

I take it they didn't convert their insurance to landlord coverage. That was the real mistake. Also not prequalifying tenants and checking past landlord references is silly bad. Oh well, America is based on the fact that the dumb don't prosper, only the wicked.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

The realtors are never liable for anything even if they give you terrible advice which directly conflicts with your best interests. They generally do not have what would be considered a fiduciary relationship with a client and although licensing and ethics complaints can be made, as you might imagine the state licensure and professional associations primarily function as professional cartels rather than functioning in any strong capacity to regulate the profession and deter bad behavior or incompetence. They are only interested in getting paid and closing a deal, even if it's on terrible risky terms for the client. Also keep in mind that there are many, many real estate agents out there with little practical experience who only work one or two deals a year and might not even realize what a terrible idea something like this is.

Jan 11, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I take it they didn't convert their insurance to landlord coverage. That was the real mistake. Also not prequalifying tenants and checking past landlord references is silly bad. Oh well, America is based on the fact that the dumb don't prosper, only the wicked.

Landlord insurance generally does not cover blatant vandalism. The police are right, it's a civil issue. The cost of doing business as a landlord (whether you intend to be in the business or not) is that professional bad tenants or just plain old crazy people can do a lot of damage to an expensive thing that you own.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The realtors are never liable for anything even if they give you terrible advice which directly conflicts with your best interests. They generally do not have what would be considered a fiduciary relationship with a client and although licensing and ethics complaints can be made, as you might imagine the state licensure and professional associations primarily function as professional cartels rather than functioning in any strong capacity to regulate the profession and deter bad behavior or incompetence. They are only interested in getting paid and closing a deal, even if it's on terrible risky terms for the client. Also keep in mind that there are many, many real estate agents out there with little practical experience who only work one or two deals a year and might not even realize what a terrible idea something like this is.

Still sue everyone and hope the judge or jury has been hosed over by a realtor in the past and decides to forgo any judicial integrity.

Also hire someone who can do search engine optimization and make sure pictures of your house come up whenever someone Googles anyone involved in this because at this stage you're just a crab dragging all the other crabs down with you.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is all the poop and piss about some sort of misplaced revenge, or mental illness?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sleepy gary posted:

Is all the poop and piss about some sort of misplaced revenge, or mental illness?

i'm no psychiatrist but i think that, generally, mentally healthy people don't cover the inside of a house with poo poo and piss

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Tell that to the president heyoo

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

sleepy gary posted:

I'm guessing a combination of both.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Oh well, America is based on the fact that the dumb don't prosper, only the wicked.

The only solution for those poor naive homeowners is through the legal system, and the renters are probably judgement proof.

So the only only real solution is wicked extra-judicial life ruining stuff that they probably don’t have the will or knowledge of how to do.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Unfortunately landlords are often shafted legally when it comes to bad tenants. I had a bad experience myself last year when I tried to rent out my apartment to a friend's cleaning guy & his wife.

It started off fine but a few weeks in the rent payments stopped. I gave them a 30 day notice and they just straight up refused to leave. They wracked up hundreds of dollars in utilities and flooded my bathroom. The most frustrating thing was that the cops were powerless to help, saying I needed to pursue a lengthy court eviction process. I eventually agreed to pay them $2500 just to move the gently caress out without causing any more damage. Be careful with renters!

Jan 11, 2004

FateFree posted:

Unfortunately landlords are often shafted legally when it comes to bad tenants. I had a bad experience myself last year when I tried to rent out my apartment to a friend's cleaning guy & his wife.

It started off fine but a few weeks in the rent payments stopped. I gave them a 30 day notice and they just straight up refused to leave. They wracked up hundreds of dollars in utilities and flooded my bathroom. The most frustrating thing was that the cops were powerless to help, saying I needed to pursue a lengthy court eviction process. I eventually agreed to pay them $2500 just to move the gently caress out without causing any more damage. Be careful with renters!

Probably you spent less money and lost less rent than you would have evicting them with an attorney, especially if they were Professional Bad Tenants who were familiar with their rights and had the savvy to string along an eviction lawsuit until the last possible second. Tenant screening is everything. It is literally the thing that will make or break your experience as a landlord. Never give anybody a free pass on anything that seems suspicious or questionable, verify everything including background checks and income, and collect enough rent and liquidatable deposit to protect yourself a little bit against such a situation.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Jesus! Out of all the offers we had on our home nobody was trying to move in before closing, we took an offer that was the opposite. Sounds like an awful plan.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FateFree posted:

Unfortunately landlords are often shafted legally when it comes to bad tenants.

The law tends to err on the side of favoring tenants over landlords since one way someone is out some money, the other way someone (and their family) is homeless.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Harry posted:

Always get a good chuckle when people buy $3,000 mattresses.

we just bought a $3,000 mattress. I can afford half and it shuts her up for a while. Our 400 dollar memory foam futon is 10x more comfortable but she wanted some swanky one. You can't put a price on not arguing or having to hear about some loving mattress purchase.

so like laugh away cause i see the absurdity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

olylifter posted:

we just bought a $3,000 mattress. I can afford half and it shuts her up for a while. Our 400 dollar memory foam futon is 10x more comfortable but she wanted some swanky one. You can't put a price on not arguing or having to hear about some loving mattress purchase.

so like laugh away cause i see the absurdity.

I seriously don't understand the $3k mattress thing. My company has been putting Caspers int he corp apartments and they are great. A California King is under $1600. I'm pretty sure I paid almost as much for the mattress/box spring I have at home and it's not nearly as good (and a queen at that).

I've always gotten a slimy feeling about mattress sales/sellers. Pretty sure most of them spend 20% on actually making the thing and 80% on marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Motronic posted:

I've always gotten a slimy feeling about mattress sales/sellers. Pretty sure most of them spend 20% on actually making the thing and 80% on marketing.
Aren't mattresses one of those things where most places sell the same models, but under different names so it's hard to comparison shop?

Scum all the way down.