Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

because printing things takes time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

why do they need to store everything ever printed forever though

like an 8G flash drive could probably store all the print jobs you could reasonably queue up at once i'm not sure why it needs a 120G+ hard drive in it

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
it might be a queue because its simply cheaper to swap to the drive than to pay for more RAM?

no for SSDs because of write amplification/price/reliability/etc. and 120GB+ might be the cheapest, smallest, and highly produced kinds of hard drives they could get nowadays?

crazysim fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it may just be a dumb file system that keeps deleted files around

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ate all the Oreos posted:

why do they need to store everything ever printed forever though

like an 8G flash drive could probably store all the print jobs you could reasonably queue up at once i'm not sure why it needs a 120G+ hard drive in it

office tech lags the bleeding edge quite a bit. i'm fairly confident that ssd for them is probably a 2017 and newer thing if anything. theyve had platters for 20 years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

office tech lags the bleeding edge quite a bit. i'm fairly confident that ssd for them is probably a 2017 and newer thing if anything. theyve had platters for 20 years

yeah i get that, but i'm not really wondering why they use a hard drive instead of flash, i'm more curious as to why it's apparently 120GB or more

it may just be a dumb file system that keeps deleted files around

it did sound like they needed "forensic tools" to recover the files so maybe :shrug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

yeah i get that, but i'm not really wondering why they use a hard drive instead of flash, i'm more curious as to why it's apparently 120GB or more

it did sound like they needed "forensic tools" to recover the files so maybe :shrug:

It's cheaper to make a bulk order for the smallest hard drive that's currently being manufactured and standardising on that, rather than trying to wrangle up a bunch of unsold surplus tinier drives.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also then you can upsell another $500 on a 12,000 copier by saying it can store 30 thousand documents instead of 10 thousand

Jewel
May 2, 2009

lol, a popular twitter service called "Klout" has been running for years, keeps track of your """reputation""" by who follows you and how important your tweets were and your shared interests between all your followers and etc etc. basically just a lot of data collection; and now they're shutting down

https://twitter.com/klout/status/994634099431165952

may 25, GDPR strikes again

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jewel posted:

lol, a popular twitter service called "Klout" has been running for years, keeps track of your """reputation""" by who follows you and how important your tweets were and your shared interests between all your followers and etc etc. basically just a lot of data collection; and now they're shutting down

owns

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GDPR owns so loving hard just for stuff like this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

in addition to it being cheapest to just buy a bunch of whatever is being mass produced already, large copy jobs can be surprisingly large.

the printers work with uncompressed files when possible to reduce processor load and 300dpi at 8bpp works out to be about 10MB per monochrome legal-sized page and 40MB for CMYK color. add in the OS and the expectation that the copier should be able to queue up other print jobs while Ralph from accounting makes copies of his manuscript and HDs of at least 10s of GB make sense.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jewel posted:

were they actually used by anyone at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ymgve posted:

i remember jokes about klout scores from however many years ago, but i honestly thought they shut down years ago

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/thememoryhole2/status/994641217957826562

lol you think there'd be something to secure this, but nope

There was a big gap in the 2000's where these things didn't know how to do secure erase correctly so they would just keep spamming documents all over the disk forever and dropping them from the MFT. They started changing them so that the drive kept stacking the jobs at the front of the disk if they didn't need to be stored so they were constantly overwriting each other and also adding functionality so sectors would be scrubbed on delete. The story has probably changed a bit since they probably all run on cheap embedded SSDs now.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

It's cheaper to make a bulk order for the smallest hard drive that's currently being manufactured and standardising on that, rather than trying to wrangle up a bunch of unsold surplus tinier drives.

for some reason i thought they were still making 20G hard drives since those were huge and cutting edge at one point so obviously they'll continue to be relevant forever, but of course they're not i'm just getting old :smith:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ymgve posted:

there was a brief period of time where you could get coupons for free McDonald’s food or something equally idiotic if you were a tech journalist or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

really seems like the kind of thing exclusively used by SEO urchins and the kind of marketing team that lists the number of facebook likes their corporate site got as proof that they're the most popular brand of toilet paper

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
klout's sole value came from the amusement you got trying to figure out which tweet made it think you're an expert in diapers or whatever

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I figured they'd just use volatile memory for that poo poo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

akadajet posted:

I figured they'd just use volatile memory for that poo poo.

eh the copiers in question were probably designed sometime between 1995 and 2005 and gigabytes of ram wasn't exactly cheap back then

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
having room for a lot of jobs also makes sense in the context of badge release printing, my favorite kind of printing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i saw some people on twitter talking about the free swag they got from Klout. a lot of it was little discounts and gift cards to stores and restaurants. the biggest-sounding one i saw was some guy who said he got a free car rental out of it

e: the more entertaining tweets were from comedy accounts:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/994757397225787392

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 11, 2018

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

these are the topics which klout was somehow able to extract from my bot account which literally only posts textless screenshots from simpsons episodes

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i saw some people on twitter talking about the free swag they got from Klout. a lot of it was little discounts and gift cards to stores and restaurants. the biggest-sounding one i saw was some guy who said he got a free car rental out of it
that sort of stuff did happen, but they (or the brands they partnered with) stopped offering substantial rewards many years ago

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Meat Beat Agent posted:

these are the topics which klout was somehow able to extract from my bot account which literally only posts textless screenshots from simpsons episodes

it's probably folding in the characteristics of followers/followees

lol at failing to rate as expert on comedy tho

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Meat Beat Agent posted:

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

crazy powers of inference

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

haveblue posted:

i mean, their tech wasn't totally inaccurate

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like that the simpsons is way down on the list, and not expert status

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://gizmodo.com/1825938208

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

solution: remove crash bars from all exits

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/ortegaalfredo/status/995017143002509313

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

haveblue posted:

it rates me as an expert on Humor, which is short for Humor Simpson

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/lintile/status/994960453343293441?s=20

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/geoffwhite247/status/994998863806324741

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What programmer is working on this stuff? Who are these people??

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Salt Fish posted:

look, im sure there's plenty of racist programmers. there's already plenty of sexist ones…

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Agile Vector posted:

look, im sure there's plenty of racist programmers. there's already plenty of sexist ones…

So when is the facial scan to determine penis size app coming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Salt Fish posted:

Have you heard of "social media?" I hear you can make a buck or two creating profiles on people and selling the results.

• Locked thread