Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You probably shouldn't even be playing on Give Me A Challenge, the difficulty levels in the game are out of whack especially when you're starting out for the first time with an unconventional combat system and no character upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A legit criticism of God of War is that the combat curve is a little hosed up, you start out pretty weak and with not enough moves. It gets better rapidly.

Honestly "give me balanced" is perfectly fine for your first trip through the game, "give me a challenge" is good if you're a brawler fan or really like to get into the ins and outs of a combat system. Give Me God of War should honestly have been locked until you beat the game once.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There are no "beat the game on gently caress you difficulty" trophies for GoW right?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

There are no "beat the game on gently caress you difficulty" trophies for GoW right?

Nope! Play the whole game on easy if you want. No one should play GMGOW unless they are masochistic.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m playing on normal because I heard the difficulty settings are wack. Honestly I don’t think every game needs RPG-style progression, crafting, equipment, etc. and I think it hurts GoW’s design to include those things. Especially after playing the older games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m playing on normal because I heard the difficulty settings are wack. Honestly I don’t think every game needs RPG-style progression, crafting, equipment, etc. and I think it hurts GoW’s design to include those things. Especially after playing the older games.

Aside from the hardest difficulty, the difficulty settings are fine.

The rpg mechanics are indeed pretty garbo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

IcePhoenix posted:

Hell no I"m glad they got rid of that. Normal is enough.

edit: The crafting and stuff does feel a bit overwhelming.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 11, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I would say the thing I enjoy the least is trying to cross reference my armor abilities with the enchantments and the enchantments sockets to figure out what gives me the best buffs for what I'm doing.

This gives me +2 vitality and 20% burn resistance.

But this gives me +10 vitality and +5 defense. What actually gives me the best buffs for going after fire stuff?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Hazukari/status/994726329261215744

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

lmao

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The marketplace fight in early GoW is kinda BS on higher difficulties, and encourages the most boring way of playing (axe throws only) because you do chip damage with your melee hits and can't build stun effectively yet, while you're surrounded by ~6 enemies including heavies that can't be staggered by normal hits and who do ~1/3 your health per hit. Things smooth out a lot by the time you reach the lake (aside from the realm tear with level 6 enemies), but the troll bosses will still force you back into axe-throw-for-chip-damage mode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracelsus posted:

The marketplace fight in early GoW is kinda BS on higher difficulties, and encourages the most boring way of playing (axe throws only) because you do chip damage with your melee hits and can't build stun effectively yet, while you're surrounded by ~6 enemies including heavies that can't be staggered by normal hits and who do ~1/3 your health per hit. Things smooth out a lot by the time you reach the lake (aside from the realm tear with level 6 enemies), but the troll bosses will still force you back into axe-throw-for-chip-damage mode.

Yeah, that's where I gave up on Give Me A Challenge. Just when I had gotten the hang of maneuvering enough to not get hit too much, a couple of range attack guys spawn and now I can't wear down the guy right in front of me without getting fireballed and I can't take a moment to throw my axe at the fireballers without getting hit by the guy front of me. Also the only runic I have at this point is a weak area attack that wakes up every enemy in the arena without doing meaningful damage to any of them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

That and the fight soon after with the revenant and heavy draugr made me mad as hell

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I accidentally went to the Japanese Atlus website, can someone explain Catherine Fullbody?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
God of War endgame spoilers :siren:

Approximately how far do I have to progress in Niflheim to find the Valkyrie? I don't really care about completing the place but wanna see the conclusion of the Valk quest but not gonna bother if it's 1hr+ of Niflheim bullshit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just got into PS4 recently and am getting caught up. Too many good games this generation, and am glad for the backlash against multiplayer-only-microtransactions-everywhere game model.

Just saw the trailers for Days Gone and just realized that I would be okay if Sony did nothing but “single-player-semi-open-world-in _______ setting” from now on.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm playing on challenge and struggled with the market fights too but now I think it was probably for the best that the game forced me to learn how to use all the abilities to manage big mixed groups early.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Foxhound posted:

Approximately how far do I have to progress in Niflheim to find the Valkyrie? I don't really care about completing the place but wanna see the conclusion of the Valk quest but not gonna bother if it's 1hr+ of Niflheim bullshit.

It’s only a couple minutes mapwise (it’s the detour to left field between second and third base in Ivaldi’s map) but you gotta get buffed up for an hour or two in order to be able to survive the fog long enough

Balls are fun

Edit: Valks

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Foxhound posted:

Not as bad as you might think. Niflheim is laid out like a baseball diamond with each base being an encounter room. The Valkyrie will be in an offshoot of one randomly, effectively left or right field. Grind a bit for some gear to get mist resistance and you'll be ok.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Foxhound posted:

Go left (seriously).

You'll want to spend a bit gathering the low-hanging fruit in Niflheim just so you have a chance of surviving long enough to reach that point and have a decent amount of time for the fight.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Oh gently caress I have to fight her in the drat fog? I thought it would be some open arena like the others so I could just beeline for it. Might put it on the backburner then cause I really just wanted to polish it off before I go back to Yakuza.

Thanks for the tips though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To offset that restriction that battle is probably the easiest out of all of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Foxhound posted:

Oh gently caress I have to fight her in the drat fog? I thought it would be some open arena like the others so I could just beeline for it. Might put it on the backburner then cause I really just wanted to polish it off before I go back to Yakuza.

Thanks for the tips though.

It shouldn't take that long to do it like this:

1. Grind a small amount of Niflheim to get the dwarf to craft the key to the central area
2. Loot the central area, get the enchantment that will slow the effects of the mist
3. Run into the first room or two and back out earn enough mist echoes to craft one or two armor pieces that also slow the effects of the mist
4. Wear the things, ignore the other enemies and beeline for the valkyrie and kill her, probably die before getting back out but that doesn't undo killing her

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
lol @ the people who had trouble with the beginning of the game in god of war

like every fight is in a place with a cliff and you have a leg and foot with which to kick things over hth

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

lol @ the people who had trouble with the beginning of the game in god of war

like every fight is in a place with a cliff and you have a leg and foot with which to kick things over hth

Wut

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

You can kick people over the edge and they die but it’s a lot of effort for very little pay off.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Who was having trouble early? Theres complaints about the first boss, but I assume you cant kick him off a bridge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bombadilillo posted:

Who was having trouble early? Theres complaints about the first boss, but I assume you cant kick him off a bridge.

I think he confused difficulty for tedium.

Or those players that were complaining about the higher difficulties I dunno.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlfaAndRomeo/status/994410227716902913

This is the best thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Did I miss a side story?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Did I miss a side story?

It's a glitch apparently.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The Old Hunters is done, thank's to Manatee's assistance. That was a real good DLC!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's a glitch apparently.

Makes me want a Persona Dance all Night yakuza spinoff

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Elite Beat Yakuza

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it feels like most of the time when somebody complains about the difficulty it turns out they’re playing on hard or GMGOW or something stupid

the game’s really fun and easy on easy mode and pretty average on normal. there’s no reward for playing it on higher difficulties, if you’re not having fun turn it down you nerds

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mandrel posted:

the game’s really fun and easy on easy mode and pretty average on normal. there’s no reward for playing it on higher difficulties, if you’re not having fun turn it down you nerds

That's not true, beat the game on Give Me God of War mode and you get 2 shield skins including one incredibly cool spartan shield skin called the "aspis of spartan fury", I guess these are maybe included in the Deluxe version? I dunno.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can kick people over the edge and they die but it’s a lot of effort for very little pay off.

not in the 100 man muspelheim gauntlet it isn't

chucking high health enemies over death pits saved me so much time and sanity. idk why it needed to be as long as it was

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Stupid question time, at first I thought this would be better for one of the "help us remember this game" threads but it's possibly a quietly cancelled PS4 game so...

When I was at the 2013 GameStop conference, it, I mean it's basically small E3 a lot of the same stuff gets shown along with some new things that are debuted there. Anyway Sony showed off a third person zombie action game boasting a supposedly poignant story and hard survival decisions and stuff. However it was *NOT* the PS4 (or PS3 reprinting) release of the Last of Us. And it wasn't that H1Z1-whatever MMO they were doing, nor was it any iteration of Dead Island or Dying Light either.

It was a game that for all intents of purposes I would describe as "lovely Last of Us" and I was surprised Sony was pushing something like that at such a time. It was like if Activision showed off a ton of stuff for the new Call of Duty and then right after tried to get people hyped for something like Homefront. It was so vague I can't even remember its name, just that it had a lot of running around and shooting fast style zombies and was a third person game emphasizing nature taking over decrepit former human cities like The Last of Us. A big part of the game was that there'd be larger groups of fast zombies you'd have to out maneuver and then figure out a way to take out from a safe spot in the environment and there was an emphasis on having to be on the run a lot rather than making a standing and fighting.

What the heck was this?

EDIT

HOLY loving poo poo the game is Days Gone, I just noticed the trailers were posted in this thread as I hit post. That's been a long journey and a hell of a coincidence.

Makes me wish I asked about "Bloodborne 2" instead. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 12, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Days Gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!