Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

talk about whitewashing awoooga

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

lancemantis posted:

its like wargaming for train guys

It's the original wargaming

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

http://twitter.com/gilsy08/status/995018563206332416

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

You can't argue with the results.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ATP_Power posted:

THe original wargaming?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Vox Nihili posted:

You can't argue with the results.

At least they ain't gummy smiles

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ATP_Power posted:

exactly

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that Mitchell and Webb tush

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I can't tell if it's because I'm out of touch or that he is really marginal (god I hope so) but I had no idea who Jordan Peterson was before he was featured on an episode of Chapo Trap House and I have seen no sign of him in any other place besides on left twitter space

He's an easy punching bag tho

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

jordy petes makes millions of dollars a year from being the conservative dad all the neo-nazis who hadn't burned all their bridges flocked to so they could look like they were going normie again while the heat cools off

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
to own the libs of course

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SpaceGoku posted:

jordy petes makes millions of dollars a year from being the conservative dad all the neo-nazis who hadn't burned all their bridges flocked to so they could look like they were going normie again while the heat cools off

millions? how?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

millions? how?

dark money

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
his lovely book has been a best seller for months now. I mean it's good that you don't know who he is, it would great if no one did.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

uber_stoat posted:

his lovely book has been a best seller for months now. I mean it's good that you don't know who he is, it would great if no one did.

that's actually pretty funny if a more reactionary analog of self-help books is something our nation's burgeoning yet ineffectual fascist youth is eating right up

Like thats so loving American

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

he also pulls in something like 50k a month from patreon after fees (maybe more, patreon treats their biggest fish differently than everyone else, like all other internet bullshit companies)

combine that with his book sales, speaking fees, etc

he sucked up all the money from the little fish grifters mostly by being the least-crazy voice left in the room after everyone else got chased out

anyway this is a picture thread

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He also sounds like Kermit the Frog

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
here's the real one

https://twitter.com/OldSchoolSaul/status/993122890362089473

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

I can't tell if it's because I'm out of touch or that he is really marginal (god I hope so) but I had no idea who Jordan Peterson was before he was featured on an episode of Chapo Trap House and I have seen no sign of him in any other place besides on left twitter space

He's an easy punching bag tho

I have two separate centrist friends who are suddenly into him. They lean left generally, but I can see the influence in how they speak about social issues. He's a pretty dangerous gateway to very bad ideas imo

THS
Sep 15, 2017

kill your friends

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

to own the libs of course

what's with the m and the...ohhhh...
Yikes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
eemaageen me shawk

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So, Peterson tells young men that they were deprived of a father figure in their lives, and does this for a living. To do it effectively he has to... exploit their deprivation, taking the role of a father surrogate. I wonder how "motivational" you can stay, once you make so much goddamn loving money making an audience feel better without actually making things better for them

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i have been known to history from time to time

I just enjoy political and military history even though they are #basicbitch

here's the thing though - war is a horrifying abomination and I read about it for the societal and personal consequences

I like max Hastings for example because he seems to get that a bit more. the cover picture of his Korean war book is an infantryman with his head buried in his hands while he squats in the mud - it exudes exhaustion and grief even though you can't see his face. he starts off his book about the 2nd ss panzer division and (some) of its atrocities by describing an interview with an unrepentant war criminal in a German nursing home

policymakers need to understand that using military force should be an awful last resort. reading about what a 500lb high explosive does to a child is a good way to start

anywho I'll take a big Mac with fries etc etc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://i.imgur.com/BffSdvr.mp4

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
lowtax beaten to the punch

https://twitter.com/kyo_pun/status/994942375934881792

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

So, Peterson tells young men that they were deprived of a father figure in their lives, and does this for a living. To do it effectively he has to... exploit their deprivation, taking the role of a father surrogate. I wonder how "motivational" you can stay, once you make so much goddamn loving money making an audience feel better without actually making things better for them

the dr oz show could just be a tape of him saying eat vegetables, exercise daily, and see a doctor if the poo poo is really bad on loop for an hour but you don’t get kickbacks or recurring viewers from that

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Lobe posted:

that's actually pretty funny if a more reactionary analog of self-help books is something our nation's burgeoning yet ineffectual fascist youth is eating right up

Like thats so loving American

Capitalism will chew up and spit out everything into rigid marketing demographics, including social movements, and now it's finally fascism's turn.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

forgot the hashtag, shameful

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

:hellyeah:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I feel I caught something from this image

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
wait is stephen fry right wing? or is he just one of those "i disagree with what you say, but i will fight to the death blah blah" voltaire types..

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

the dr oz show could just be a tape of him saying eat vegetables, exercise daily, and see a doctor if the poo poo is really bad on loop for an hour but you don’t get kickbacks or recurring viewers from that

First, how do you not realize what you're doing, second, of course you realize but why do you still do it, and third why do people fall for it? Like, how do you start listening to Peterson in the first place, much less get addicted to him? Why even begin? Who wants to listen to all these educated idiots talking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slugnoid posted:

wait is stephen fry right wing? or is he just one of those "i disagree with what you say, but i will fight to the death blah blah" voltaire types..

he aims for the latter, but you can tell he's the former