Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I like looking at islands. :shobon:

No but seriously, I have no idea why they're so scared to mix up their alpha game. It's not beta, they falsely pretended it was beta to secure funding (I think?) and now they're stuck running a live alpha.

They should be doing big bold changes to how the game is played at the very least. Agonizing over global chat vs SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS is not what you do at an alpha stage of game development.

Really, I adore this bad game for whatever reason but it's like there's a gas leak and their team leads are napping forever. Of course they say "once the networking issues are worked out... that's when the content will flow!"

But I doubt that sometimes. Either commit to the project or let it die? God, I don't know. I want them to commit and make something wonderful but their pace and communication up until very recently has been glacial. After 0.1.7 things have improved I just wonder if it will ever be enough to get to a proper 1.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
As I predicted two years ago, even a cool gimmick does not an mmo make.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
https://www.worldsadrift.com/roadmap/

Dare I say a fix to lots of issues with the addition of things we need to make the game both playable and giving a reason to stick around and play. Most notably taking control of entire islands and regions.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

NEW KIOKI REGION - Includes distinct loot table, new music, new Kioki-specific clothing, lore, and more.

Get your fashion adrift going on!

Lots of neat ideas on that roadmap. I can't wait to see them in game.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

If awkward developer videos are your thing, they've been doing a ton more of this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8A6g-sYvq0

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raskolnikov posted:

If awkward developer videos are your thing, they've been doing a ton more of this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8A6g-sYvq0

so awkward, but also, at times, adorable. Man that dude DOES look like a beautiful pirate woman.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

so awkward, but also, at times, adorable. Man that dude DOES look like a beautiful pirate woman.

I have so many feels for that man's face.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

After the roadmap post I am feeling much better about the game. It just might take another two years to get there.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
[9:29 AM] Bossa Julia: Early Access: May 17th 2018

Not to be confused with the fact anyone can buy it currently on steam and play, in this closed beta.

New build and kioki islands on 5/17/18. The start of "Steam early access", so beta??

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I feel like they're jumping the gun again but what do you expect when they listen to all the hardcore rear end kissers on the unofficial discord.

There's a severe lack of features. This isn't beta. It's alpha. They haven't even added meaningful grouping yet (alliances) in a mmo game. After two years. Nor are there in game social options in anything but the most basic format.

But I guess that's beta?! I'd shoot for September and give this more time. Here we go anyways!

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I feel like they are in denial about their customer base. Do they actually think by doing some it's open access beta or some none sense will get them even more people who already didn't try the game. I feel like they need to pull the existing players back in instead of fishing for another round of funding and new idiots to suck in.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
All I'm saying is they better have some loving good updates between then and now if they want to keep that new batch of players

But I'm looking at the left column roadmap and not seeing it. Basic alliances, some interface fixes, "crew fixes" with no mention of crew reviver.

Content-wise, new map layout and islands. Balance-wise, revivers take damage the farther away you revive. Those are significant, but is that all?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 11, 2018

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

And more RNG Grind for everyone!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/icymi-luke-eternz-williams-kiwo-did-a-stream-and-luke-dropped-lots-of-info/

Actually pretty cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
sounds good remind me in a decade

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Two weeks remain until Early Access launch and they've updated and reshuffled the road map.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/roadmap/

Basic alliance stuff has been moved up, as well as territory control, engine overheat and ammo capacity. If they really stick to this roadmap the game is going to be something pretty different in six months.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sometimes Bossa is, eccentric, and then there's a stunt like this:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/the-launch-event-another-worlds-first-by-worlds-adrift/

quote:

So to celebrate the upcoming launch of Worlds Adrift into Early Access on May 17th (etch it on your hearts), we thought we’d do exactly that; launch Worlds Adrift. Lemme’ explain…

We’ve created a lifesize skyship (no, really!), which we plan to propel 150 feet into the air, above the Chelsea College of Arts, London, in what is perhaps the most literal understanding of the term ‘launch event’ ever! The ship will be decked out (pun always intended) with twenty fully-supported game stations, so that guests can experience Worlds Adrift in a way that brings to life the sense of awe, expanse and wonder for which it’s been celebrated.

I guess if you're going, bring a coat!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Will they have bungie cords so you can swing around underneath?

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Anyone else getting horrible Déjà-vu about this launch event and the Firefall gaming bus?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

BurtLington posted:

Anyone else getting horrible Déjà-vu about this launch event and the Firefall gaming bus?
Not really, that seems way more like Star Citizen.

quote:

...there was a time when it would have seemed insane to suggest that if there was something wrong with Red 5, Kern — one of the company’s co-founders — was it.

After his dismissal the weekend before Chirstmas, Kern released a somewhat cryptic statement in which he called his time at Red 5 “my own Kobayashi Maru,” a reference to the fictional Star Trek training exercise that is designed to be impossible in order to test candidates’ response to a no-win situation. The implication seemed to be that Kern’s failure was inevitable, presumably because he was tasked with developing a game that couldn’t be successful.

But this weekend, an anonymous Red 5 employee took to Reddit to question Kern’s narrative, posting a lengthy diatribe that accuses Kern of a litany of mistakes and overreaches.

quote:

He would swoop in one afternoon and berate a series of features several teams had spent months on, declaring they begin again and LISTEN to what he told them to do. He’d be back in a few days to see if it was done. This crushed morale, and forced people into spontaneous, isolated crunch mode. He would shout and scream his perspectives. He would ignore anything that didn’t fit his immediate viewpoint – which was subject to sudden, violent changes. He would rage-email people in the small hours of the night, or on weekends.

He would spout bile and vitriol to the point where he gave some employees (mostly his production crew) access to a “safeword.” This was in case he was being particularly verbally abusive, someone could yell it out or email it to him and he would clam up. He had the misguided notion that he could write quality fiction, and would force feed it to members of the writing team. He’s fired people on the spot, berating and screaming at them publicly. He’s thrown temper tantrums AND objects around the office.

This sounds more Star Citizen thread worthy than Worlds Adrift.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 9, 2018

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

beep beep I'mma truck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Raskolnikov posted:

beep beep I'mma truck.

The best thing about that truck is that the side door wouldn’t actually open.

Anyway yeah I just feel like it’s kinda pointless doing that much expensive poo poo for a launch event. Hopefully I’m wrong though.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

BurtLington posted:

Anyway yeah I just feel like it’s kinda pointless doing that much expensive poo poo for a launch event. Hopefully I’m wrong though.

I too am pretty worried about this. This seems like a bizarre and ill thought out waste of money. Also the "airship" is literally just a table and chairs anchored to a metal slab held up by a crane. It doesn't even look like you can stand up once you sit down and they raise it up. Sorry if you gotta piss I guess? This is so confusing.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Raskolnikov posted:

Sometimes Bossa is, eccentric, and then there's a stunt like this:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/the-launch-event-another-worlds-first-by-worlds-adrift/

I guess if you're going, bring a coat!

This is the same company that developed DeckSplash. And if it didnt get 100k players on a free weekend that it would cancel production.

So nothing really surprises me.

https://www.decksplash.com

quote:

At Bossa Studios we believe the best way to make games is to fail fast and move on to bigger, better things rather than sinking time into a project without a bright future.

So from all of us here in the Decksplash team, Thank you for your support and we'll see you on our next big adventure!

Love Decksplash.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pied Piper the gaming studio.

You'd think that money would be better used to try and build a playerbase but what do I know.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
need more teslas.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
can't wait until all the really fat people sit on one end and off balance it, then all the devs die and WA dies from publicity stupidity.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=kA0md0D24_Y

Trailer launched

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

forge posted:

can't wait until all the really fat people sit on one end and off balance it, then all the devs die and WA dies from publicity stupidity.

They're a UK company so finding enough tremendously fat fans will be a lot harder than if they were a US based company.

I like that they featured PvP more predominately so people don't get the wrong idea. This is a good thing. People are gonna get "griefed." If they went in expecting an idyllic Miyazaki inspired romp they'd be sorely mistaken.

edit2: they released more "what have we been working on" https://www.worldsadrift.com/captains-log/londonskies/

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 11, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
If the trailer were accurate, you would spawn in to immediately be gunned down. Then by the time you build your first ship, pirates would slowboat into your bubble and canon you to death while building. By the time your second ship is ready to fly, it would just explode on take off and you would respawn in a random part of the world.

Worlds Adrift.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Yeesh. Is that the current state of the game? Last time I played, a few weeks ago, everyone we met seemed super chill.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

Yeesh. Is that the current state of the game? Last time I played, a few weeks ago, everyone we met seemed super chill.

The issue is that there isn't really any sort of interaction beyond murder. Like to trade you have to find a corpse bag or unowned chest and swap poo poo there and the devs have specifically said any kind of normal trade interface goes against their freeform vision for the game. The fall in love with the theory of what will happen and just ignore the fact that it won't or doesn't work. A good example is the upcoming radio. It's an in game object that costs weight and materials and gives worse functionality than running discord. No one is gonna use it but they just kind of soldier on.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

7c Nickel posted:

The issue is that there isn't really any sort of interaction beyond murder. Like to trade you have to find a corpse bag or unowned chest and swap poo poo there and the devs have specifically said any kind of normal trade interface goes against their freeform vision for the game. The fall in love with the theory of what will happen and just ignore the fact that it won't or doesn't work. A good example is the upcoming radio. It's an in game object that costs weight and materials and gives worse functionality than running discord. No one is gonna use it but they just kind of soldier on.

Ya the game reminds me of black and white or something... like whew cool pretty neat aaaand there’s no actual game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

Once the world ages "bubblebusting" doesn't happen that often, but it is possible. Launch will likely be a clusterfuck just because of player density.

Forge is probably joking about that "explode on takeoff", I'm not familiar with any bug that does that.

7c Nickel posted:

and the devs have specifically said any kind of normal trade interface goes against their freeform vision for the game.
They've put offline/distance trading stuff on their roadmap and mentioned it a few times.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 12, 2018

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

A decent writeup on bugs: https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/compilation-of-old-bugs-that-are-still-around/

Here's a video where a ship dies from a combination of bad luck, bugs and lovely piloting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_oO_b0eKEo

Three man crew - one is greyscreening when the ship takes random damage. This time it affects the helm+whatever, the pilot gets flung off from wonky physics, again when he tries to respawn, and the ship dives into the abyss.

Here's the same bug from the pilot's perspective where random damage hits something unimportant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0NehAKx42A

Actual fights in this game almost require a group of three or more. Crashes, greyscreening, and all the other random poo poo that happens doesn't hurt nearly as bad when you have enough people.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 12, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I was mostly joking, because I love to hate the game right now. Mainly because its the best mmo idea ever full of dumb poo poo like radios instead of something to actually do.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
This looks like it could be kind of cool if it played like Sea of Thieves: airships but you have to build your own ships instead of just getting a free ship every time you spawn. The trailer looks pretty janky though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also I got a good number of recordings from fights this map, I'll have to doublecheck if any are worth uploading

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

IGN and Discord as Inlor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

They really need to work on how the early game plays. It takes too long to get materials, get the knowledge you need to build, design a ship, print all the needed parts, and then assemble the ship. And you can only fly using sails at first, which snap off if you wink at them. It's just too much for new players to go through all that and then not be able to escape veteran players (Who're in the starting zone because they're bored and no one is anywhere else.) They have to repeat all those gathering and building steps each time. You have to manually place all of those parts each time.

There needs to be smaller, less costly entry parts that you can whip up quickly and get in the sky. Faster ground to air time can only improve a game where everything is in the loving sky.

I also think they made a huge mistake with the current atlas core design. Lumping all this poo poo together into a huge wad leaves very little flexibility with design. You either psychically made a wide enough ship to comfortably fit all the arbitrarily sized upgrade parts without cutting off access to other parts of your ship, or you start over from scratch.