Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Nah, just his leg as a fully realized automaton voiced by a crackling 13 year old that can only communicate through insults.

And honestly, if they want to make anothet Diablo franchise character in HotS, it should be a Fetish and/or Succubus as a mobile ranged ambusher claass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

There's a somewhat vocal contingent of HotS players who want Imperius. Another group who want Baal and/or Mephisto.

Me, give me Lyndon or Kormac any day.

Edit: Or sex-swapped D3 PCs. Give me lady-monk any drat day.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 11, 2018

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

There's a Baal pet for WoW that's been datamined. It's probably for HoTS, though D2:Remastered is also a possibility.

Also, I'm expecting a "Season is ending in 2 weeks" announcement today or next Friday, to stay with the 'c. 3 months per season' deal.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 11, 2018

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If Blizzard ever figures out how badly they hosed up with tone and atmosphere in D3 we can push boundaries again, but as long as it exists as a sidecar to WoW I'm going to remain disappointed.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

George posted:

If Blizzard ever figures out how badly they hosed up with tone and atmosphere in D3 we can push boundaries again, but as long as it exists as a sidecar to WoW I'm going to remain disappointed.
It is 2018 and you're out here talking about color palettes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Clearly the worst thing about Diablo III is that Blizzard has had an in-house style since WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like the freely scalable difficulty at the end game because you're trying to push the limit of what you can do with "broken" gear (especially w/ greater rifts). I consider this system of exponential power growth uniquely brilliant.

But when starting a fresh game, I sometimes miss having an established difficulty curve to try myself against. The type where when you get a spurt of growth you get to feel godly for a while before the game catches up, instead of exiting the game to up the difficulty yourself. It's the difference between having to adjust to the challenges the game throws at you, and you being behind those sliders yourself. There's something "arcadey", for lack of a better word, about the latter. Which isn't a criticism per se, but it gives the experience a very different feeling (I realize I'm being pretty vague and inarticulate about the concepts, sorry). What it does do is incentivize player skill above all, because when you become overpowered you're going to want to up the difficulty level rather than bask in the glory of smiting everything with ease.

Having written that, I think I miss being able to get away with being OP. Those power spikes are part of the endorphin rush of the loot genre, D3 is just structured in a away that rewards them differently.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Incoherence posted:

It is 2018 and you're out here talking about color palettes.

Maybe he is, and while I mostly enjoyed the art style of D3, tone and atmosphere are severely lacking in it's story..

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Because the story of D3 is insulting, that’s the bottom line. It is bad, past the point of comically bad, to simply being an unfun drag

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do you honestly care about the story?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rinkles posted:

Do you honestly care about the story?
I didn't buy Diablo 3 for the story, but I'd've liked it to be at least decent. Diablo 2 didn't have an amazing story, but it made some degree of sense and was a reasonable driving force. The Diablo 3 story was absurdly, obtrusively bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

World and worldbuilding matters, but the story's practically incidental to me in these type of games.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Elysiume posted:

I didn't buy Diablo 3 for the story, but I'd've liked it to be at least decent. Diablo 2 didn't have an amazing story, but it made some degree of sense and was a reasonable driving force. The Diablo 3 story was absurdly, obtrusively bad.

In diablo 4 we fight corrupted Deckard Cain

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

There was a lot of evocative depth in the Blizzard game manual backstories of yore that I loved to devour as a kid so I can empathize with the feeling of disappointment when that stuff gets centered, reflavored, and/or thrown away entirely. The poo poo of if is that it’s always going to be disappointing when you finally get the Tales From Mos Eisley Cantina, because the vague mystery combined with being a literal child is always going to seem better. I don’t think it’s actually possible to “resolve” stories like that in any official canonical fashion, especially when it always has to be done in a way to facilitate conflict-oriented gameplay.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
World & Worldbuilding ARE important, so when a game about demons makes it so every demon I interact with is ludicrously incompetent it just adds to this weird pastiche where I’m not actually worried at all because these dudes are relentlessly self-owning from the word go and I never get the impression that they are dangerous because they are so very, very stupid.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

That's kinda my point because as sequels keep building you have to have surmountable obstacles. Like, the more frustrating thing would always be if like, Maghda keeps getting away with poo poo for five acts. Or you have a case like the Horadrim which sound mysterious and cool until they show up in the game, because the only reason for them to show up is if they hosed up horribly.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

If your allies are too competent you feel unnecessary and if your enemies are too competent then you won't have loot and experience and the entire game because you will die in your bed uninformed and forgotten.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I own 5 copies of this game on various platforms and didn't even know this game had a story until this thread. Follow the yellow arrow and smash what you find there.

game gud

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The problem with Diablo III's story is not that its dumb but that its intrusively dumb. There is a reason why the main selling point of RoS was a mode to skip it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
diablo 2 had gnarly-rear end death animations and you could actually tell what monsters were supposed to be while they were in motion

half the enemies in diablo 3 just look like an angry mass of particle effects

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

half the enemies in diablo 3 just look like an angry mass of particle effects

idk about that, but I didn't particularly like the laser shows and other out of place hazards of elite mobs (unless that's what you meant), though I get that they're there to spice up gameplay. (another thing that adds to the "arcadey" feel).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The simple action of clicking on monsters in Diablo 3 is more satisfying than anything else I've played in the genre (note I haven't played the older Diablos).

Grim Dawn's particularly underwhelming in that regard, imo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rinkles posted:

idk about that, but I didn't particularly like the laser shows and other out of place hazards of elite mobs (unless that's what you meant), though I get that they're there to spice up gameplay. (another thing that adds to the "arcadey" feel).

nah i just meant in general. if it were a sacrifice in the name of gameplay i probably wouldn't care, D2 turns enemies bright green/blue to signify status effects and has about the same amount of lasers and glowing orbs on screen at any given time

a lot of the chaff enemies in Reaper of Souls especially have such weird proportions and movements that they barely even parse as humanoid until you look at still, zoomed in images

Rinkles posted:

The simple action of clicking on monsters in Diablo 3 is more satisfying than anything else I've played in the genre (note I haven't played the older Diablos).

Grim Dawn's particularly underwhelming in that regard, imo.

Torchlight 2 has better clicking on monsters by a country mile, but of course that game is a disaster in every other conceivable way. Diablo 3 is probably still the best "sum of its parts" game in the genre, though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Ive been going back and playing Titan Quest + DLC since it was on huge sale in Steam, after I geared up this season. It is just reminding me a lot of how D3 has got things right in its current state. For reference, it came out 2006, so between D2-3. That said, even with TQ not having the best story, Jesus loving Christ it makes D3's story feel like a sixth grader's first attempt at fan fiction.

Except for the excessive particle effects 4m pushing can get, D3's art has really held up well over time, and the world building via the vistas is pretty good. But anywhere in the game where the story interacts with anything is just so distractingly bad. D4 can and should iterate on where D3 left off in every way other than story and I kind of like the idea someone up thread had of making D4 a prequel.

Or just move D4 to an entirely different continent for the first 3/4 of the game until you are back in Hell or Sanctuary or whatever. Leave European Fantasy all together for awhile. Or do both. Just, for the love of god, make the story not so distractingly bad.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you're playing diablo games for the story I feel bad for you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea if anything they should just remove the story all together. If an NPC needs to tell me to do something, have him say "I need you to kill Baal, so you can get to the endgame and grind for gear."

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have played Diablo since D1 was new. It was never for the story. The story in D3 is just so drat intrusively bad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If TQ had D3's depth of gear based synergies (and more user friendly crafting/material stuff) it'd be my favorite loot arpg.

It's still quite pretty. The visuals have aged remarkably well.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The best part of the Diablo 3 story is how mad proto chuds got about a black angel

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That was amazing. They were calling him Tyrone right?

"How dare you have a black guy in my demon killing game! It's not realistic!"

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Defend your purchase from 2012.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Dameius posted:

I have played Diablo since D1 was new. It was never for the story. The story in D3 is just so drat intrusively bad.

Exactly, Diablo 1 was all about unnerving atmosphere where you never knew what might pop out and kill you next. The story was simply a scaffold for the gameplay, much like D2 where it boils down to "follow the dark wanderer between acts" interspersed with some cool rendered cutscenes. Diablo 3 expects us to care about characters who were never given depth to begin with and does so in such an amateur way that you wonder why it was a focus at all.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would be fine if they just said "gently caress it" to the story in Diablo 4 and just made a game called Diablo: Sanctuary Chronicles or something along those lines.

That way they could just jump all around the place, both past and future and have non-connected scenarios that cover stuff mentioned in the old manuals like the capturing of Baal by Tal Rasha and friends, the fall of Zakarum, or even bigger stuff like the demon civil war between the prime and lesser evils.

Also toss out the Nephalem restriction so we can have some character classes that aren't aligned with heaven or the light.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 12, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Vakal posted:

Also toss out the Nephalem restriction so we can have some character classes that aren't aligned with heaven or the light.
Nephalem inherently aren't aligned with heaven or the light, which is why a lot of the angels, including Malthael, wanted to kill them. They're half angel, half demon, and nothing forces them to be aligned with either angels or demons. They just happen to be aligned with the angels because the demons (generally) do way shittier things in Sanctuary, and because the Diablo games don't really give you any roleplaying freedom so everyone needs to be angel-aligned.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Vakal posted:

I would be fine if they just said "gently caress it" to the story in Diablo 4 and just made a game called Diablo: Sanctuary Chronicles or something along those lines.

That way they could just jump all around the place, both past and future and have non-connected scenarios that cover stuff mentioned in the old manuals like the capturing of Baal by Tal Rasha and friends, the fall of Zakarum, or even bigger stuff like the demon civil war between the prime and lesser evils.

That would make DLC really easy as well because you can just come up with some cool mini story and push it out, regardless of how it relates to what ever else you've done. I'd be down for it. Introduction in Sanctuary and introduce the concept of reliving the stories, then each act is just some balls out story that was hinted at previously. Then each DLC is some new balls out story.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Nephalem inherently aren't aligned with heaven or the light, which is why a lot of the angels, including Malthael, wanted to kill them. They're half angel, half demon, and nothing forces them to be aligned with either angels or demons. They just happen to be aligned with the angels because the demons (generally) do way shittier things in Sanctuary, and because the Diablo games don't really give you any roleplaying freedom so everyone needs to be angel-aligned.

I know it would never happen, but my dream character system for a Diablo game would be if they ripped off the one from Seiken Densetsu 3 and let the player choose to follow the light or the dark at certain level limits, with each branch having it's own set of abilities.

So for example you would start with a basic fighter class, choose to changed to light or dark at 30, then choose again at lvl 60 for the final class.

code:

Paladin 
				/  
		     Knight 
		 /              \
		/                   Crusader
Fighter
	        \                   Dark Templar 
	         \               /
		     Mercenary 
                                 \ 
                                   Death Knight 

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Field Mousepad posted:

For like 2 years or something we couldn't avoid it because it was the only game mode :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Field Mousepad posted:

People don't play them for the story, they just don't want to have to play them in spite of it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Scratch that. Intermittent lag issues should disqualify it.

I never see this brought up. Do most people not get lag, because I never see it mentioned despite experiencing occasional issues most play sessions? (I play over a not fantastic WiFi signal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Don't play over a not fantastic WiFi signal. There has been a couple of GGs from Aus hardcore players, like Q69 getting gankes to a quick 900ms spike that one time. But otherwise lag hasn't ever really been a problem beyond launch month when they were ramping servers up to play catch up with sales.

And that was even after they had a "holy poo poo this is going to sell way more than we thought" moment and had already over built their capacity from their initial projections.