Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

I'm betting that the contents of the chest are a confession of some sort, probably starting out, "If you've found this, then you already know."

"And if you opened this before watching the first tape... Um, stop, do that, then come back here... And I guess if you're gonna show this to everyone, you should probably get that gem over there out of that bubble so she can get pissed too..."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

MikeJF posted:

I've seen a few people say this was her motivation after this episode, but it doesn't seem like that to me? I got the message that the main reason was the same as we've always been told - to save Earth and its life. (Not to say she wasn't also super excited about being able to be free of gem society)

Part of having her own space was having her Earth life to play with. That's why she made the Zoo, though that just made her realize that without the Earth its life would not be the same. That's not to say she didn't value Earth life (especially at the end of her life), it just means that saving it wasn't a fully selfless action like we previously assumed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To amend my previous statement, millions did not die because Rose Quartz was a tramp. Millions died because Pink Diamond is a tramp.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Madurai posted:

I'm betting that the contents of the chest are a confession of some sort, probably starting out, "If you've found this, then you already know."

Why would that be the case though, unless the chest is magically sealed and can only be broken by fully realized Diamond Powers or some poo poo

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Flying-PCP posted:

Why would that be the case though, unless the chest is magically sealed and can only be broken by fully realized Diamond Powers or some poo poo

Maybe Lion has orders to take Steven to the location of the key if he finds out?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Flying-PCP posted:

You say that like it's not the sort of thing they'd do.

Actually, I figure there's another puzzle piece switcheroo involved, maybe another trip to the armory cave, or the desert handship wreck, or something like that.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Eox posted:

I would be extremely happy if this plot thread ended in a VHS intended for Steven AND the rest of the gems

"Hi all, I wanted to do this a lot sooner but I had to wait 5000 years before the humans invented video recording technology. Anyway..."

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Lion is a cat, and as such barely does anything Steven wants anyway. Pink zombie or no, I doubt Lion is going to follow some cryptic instructions left by his previous dead owner from 14+ years ago.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Steven's Birthday: "If I can just keep this up for the rest of my life, no one will suspect a thing..."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Raserys posted:

Steven's Birthday: "If I can just keep this up for the rest of my life, no one will suspect a thing..."

https://dinklebop-manjensen.tumblr.com/post/173710463853/just-like-her-son

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What if the contents of chest is a tape but other stuff as well? The tape could basically be PD's last will and testament, her chance to set things right and provide things to each of the gems to give them closure.

Spoilers for the leak

This makes a lot of sense with us seeing Bismuth and the Diamonds. She'd more than likely have sections on the tape regarding all three of them. An apology to Bismuth and an attempt at an explanation, apologies to the Diamonds for not realizing they loved her.

This also gives a great way to segue into White Diamond if there's a section on the tape for her as well.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if Steven has to take the chest into Rose's room to open it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maybe the temple was the center of the ship

Also it can’t represent the supercombo of the Crystal Gems because then Garnet would know Rose was Pink.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm curious if the events immediately after the trial tipped Blue off about Steven's gem being PD. My logic:

The Diamonds are obsessed with control over everything - why would they allow the possibility that a non-Diamond could command one of their palanquins? What if those are Diamond Only? Steven activates hers in escaping, she sees from the hole in the wall and goes "Waaaaaaait a minute...? How could that be possible?"

I'm just saying it would be interesting for someone to figure it out independently.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think in the last thread I said I was convinced Rose was PD first based on Steven being able to turn on the moon base panel

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm curious if the events immediately after the trial tipped Blue off about Steven's gem being PD. My logic:

The Diamonds are obsessed with control over everything - why would they allow the possibility that a non-Diamond could command one of their palanquins? What if those are Diamond Only? Steven activates hers in escaping, she sees from the hole in the wall and goes "Waaaaaaait a minute...? How could that be possible?"

I'm just saying it would be interesting for someone to figure it out independently.

I think it makes more sense if any gem can operate the Palanquins, so the diamonds don't have to drive themselves.

Also I kind of hope the contents of that chest in Lion aren't some crazy reveal, because it would feel pretty arbitrary that Steven hadn't checked it out until right when it was relevant.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pick posted:

Also it can’t represent the supercombo of the Crystal Gems because then Garnet would know Rose was Pink.

Pearl was able to keep a secret from Sardonyx.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That’s because that’s part of them as they exist independently, which gems you are made from is something fusions express knowledge of

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Is it too late to make a Steven in the Sky of Diamonds joke?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pick posted:

That’s because that’s part of them as they exist independently, which gems you are made from is something fusions express knowledge of

Smoky quartz didn't realize she's part diamond.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So taking bets on the next Steven fusion?

I'm gonna put money on Pearl, from a story standpoint it makes a ton of sense as a way to heal a rift between Streven and her wrt the PD secret.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jasper

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OldTennisCourt posted:

What if the contents of chest is a tape but other stuff as well? The tape could basically be PD's last will and testament, her chance to set things right and provide things to each of the gems to give them closure.

Ludicrous theory: The chest contains a never 'activated' 'pink' pearl.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Honestly hoping Jasper fuses with amethyst first. Amethyst was the one who was starting to understand her.
Steven might fuse with Garner next. Garnet has an understanding of Steven and shares things with him she won't share with the other gems and currently is the most betrayed by the news.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think, and this is only from Amethyst, fusing with Steven almost seems to be a 'closure' moment for a character. Amethyst's main arc was feeling worthless/awful based on being made on Earth and fusing with Steven basically closed that arc by having her realize she isn't weak or a bad person.

I think in terms of closure to arcs we might be closest to Pearl or Jasper.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Steven might fuse with Garnet next. Garnet has an understanding of Steven and shares things with him she won't share with the other gems and currently is the most betrayed by the news.

Maximum :3: theory: Steven fuses with Ruby, then they both fuse with Sapphire, then they split back into Steven and Garnet.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Smoky quartz didn't realize she's part diamond.

Yeah but Amethyst hasn't seen a diamond or any real rose quartzes even. We don't know for 100% certain that Rose/PD was ever fused with Garnet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fuse pearl and jasper imho

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pick posted:

Fuse pearl and jasper imho

The ultimate expression of toxic love for a person who reeeeeeally just wasn't worth it :buddy:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That’s what makes it so good

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I think it makes more sense if any gem can operate the Palanquins, so the diamonds don't have to drive themselves.

Also I kind of hope the contents of that chest in Lion aren't some crazy reveal, because it would feel pretty arbitrary that Steven hadn't checked it out until right when it was relevant.

He's checked it out on camera at least once before. He just has no way of opening it and had no real impetus to try.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Inside the chest is the original Rose Quartz, real leader of the rebellion!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just a Comet takes on a new meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3M47LlGAWU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can you elaborate? I see a bunch of diamonds in the art that might foreshadow Rose. Is that it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://discount-supervillain.tumblr.com/post/173740514147/whats-wrong-with-sticky-gem-juice

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

From Garnet's reaction it seems like she didn't know any of this either, which should be interesting because she was the one who was always telling the "Rose did what was necessary for us to be free" story and really took it to heart. I wouldn't be surprised if she felt at least somewhat betrayed

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
She just needs to amend it to

"Rose did what was necessary for us to be free. She was a real poo poo about it, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Yeah idgi either.