Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Qubee posted:

You've all been amazingly helpful, and it still blows my mind that people are willing to selflessly post really detailed advice for an internet stranger.

I totally agree. I’ve gotten tons of solid advice from posters here sine I took up photography. I suppose the best way to say thanks is to offer that same guidance to newcomers as you become more experienced in turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

President Beep posted:

I totally agree. I’ve gotten tons of solid advice from posters here sine I took up photography. I suppose the best way to say thanks is to offer that same guidance to newcomers as you become more experienced in turn.

Not going to lie, I've never been interested in photography. I just know my friend is really passionate about it but never had the money to pursue it as a hobby. All the reading / researching / advice I've done / been given has actually piqued my interest. Might get myself one somewhere down the line!

https://flic.kr/p/HctXuM I love this photo

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

You've all been amazingly helpful, and it still blows my mind that people are willing to selflessly post really detailed advice for an internet stranger. I can't reply to everything point by point, you've all bombarded me with advice (which I genuinely appreciate). I have read, reread, and read a third time everything you guys posted. I've decide my friend will be more than happy with:

- Olympus OM-D EM-5 - £229 Used, Very Good (is this the M5 ii or?)
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 30 mm 1:3.5 - £229 for the macro lens
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Lens - £159 for the lens that will be used for general shots / building shots / etc.Panasonic H-H025E-K 25 mm/F1.7 ASPH - £148 for the lens that will be used for general shots / building shots / etc.
- A gorillapod, a satchel, an extra battery
- Total: £606 not including accessories, which will be an extra £100 or so

I can't get anything more than that as I'm hitting the budget, though MaudDib, your accessory recommendations have given me something to work towards for their next birthday for sure (I'm gunning for that tripod!)

As far as I can tell, this should be more than adequate to fulfill all their needs, correct? We've got a drat good camera, a macro lens for their artsy food shots, and then an EZ lensPanasonic 25mm 1.7 for general photos. That being said, I looked at the EZ lens on this website and it seems to be used for zoomed in photos, and it has me worrying that it won't be good for those building shots / street shots that my friend likes to take.chose the Panasonic over this one, I feel the photos would be better for city / street shots.

Here’s my thoughts:

30mm and 25mm are really close. I’d get something wider instead of the 25mm. 17mm or 12mm I think are the options from Olympus, and there’s a 14mm pancake from Panasonic that I don’t think is great but is cheap and convenient. 25mm is not very wide and I think someone used to phone shooting might find it frustrating and actually goes counter to what you’re concerned about with being too zoomed in for building shots. Plenty of people do like that focal length for everyday, but if you’re already doing a 30mm it seems a little redundant.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So swap the Panasonic with a 17 or 12mm lens? Thank you! I'll look into that. I thought the picture samples looked too similar for my liking, but I keep chalking it up to my inexperience.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Qubee posted:

Not going to lie, I've never been interested in photography. I just know my friend is really passionate about it but never had the money to pursue it as a hobby. All the reading / researching / advice I've done / been given has actually piqued my interest. Might get myself one somewhere down the line!

https://flic.kr/p/HctXuM I love this photo

The best camera is the one you have on you. A 10-thousand dollar camera isn't worth poo poo if you left your sd card at home and can only use your cell phone.

I've learned a lot here from a lot of different individuals. They helped guide me to love photography better, instead of questioning why I was doing it. I love this place, despite not posting much outside the sports thread.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm after a 6x6 medium format primarily for handheld outdoor use. I'm pretty much decided on a TLR and can get a tested working Minolta Autocord for around $300. Does anyone have any counter recommendations for that kind of money? I'm leaning towards the Autocord as I've heard great things about the lens at that price point, but I also don't know a whole lot about the gear that exists other than Rollei are also good, and Yashica exist.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Soulex posted:

The best camera is the one you have on you.

So true. I bought an inexpensive Oly TG-5 for underwater photography for my upcoming trip to Guam, and I've spent the last week familiarizing myself with the controls so I can hit the ground running. While the image quality is very mediocre, it can certainly deliver desktop-background-worthy images. And I discovered that a mamma rabbit and her baby live ~5 feet from my desk as I was dicking around with macro mode in my garden.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

powderific posted:

there’s a 14mm pancake from Panasonic that I don’t think is great but is cheap and convenient.
Just popping in to say that the Panasonic 14mm is great (and tiny and cheap).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I lent my gf's sister and boyfriend the D3200 I had lying around in the cupboard for their holiday and the actuation on the kit lens is now pretty gritty, I'm guessing because of sand. Is there a simple way to clean this or should I just suck it up and spend the £30 or whatever on a replacement 18-55mm?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

I lent my gf's sister and boyfriend the D3200 I had lying around in the cupboard for their holiday and the actuation on the kit lens is now pretty gritty, I'm guessing because of sand. Is there a simple way to clean this or should I just suck it up and spend the £30 or whatever on a replacement 18-55mm?

You can try using some compressed air to get it out but kit lenses are a dime a dozen

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What are the differences between Panasonic H-H014AE-K Mk1 and Mk2? Is it purely cosmetic?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does anyone know of a solid tripod in the ~$200 range that has a 90-degree center column feature for overhead shots? I see the Manfrotto MK055 recommended a lot and it looks nice, but $300 is a bit more than I'd like to spend. If there's nothing comparable in a lower price range I guess I'll just save a bit extra, but the idea of a tripod being more expensive than my camera + lens is a bit weird.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Cheaping out on your tripod is false economy. Save the extra cash so you can get a tripod that'll last long enough to use with your next camera too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I paid around the $200 mark for my Manfrotto on eBay a few years ago. Was a slightly older version, but does that 90deg center column thing you’re looking for. Mines the carbon fiber one too which usually goes for more, so always worth checking out the second hand market.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can search B&H by whether it has a 90 degree column and there's definitely some OK looking stuff around $200 in there from Manfrotto and Vanguard. And I bet you could find 055 legs and a head for $200 if you can shop around used a bit.

I get buy once cry once with tripods but if you don't use it that much it might not really be worth it. Like, I should have a gitzo something or other with arca swiss z1 but I have a set of 10 year old 055Xprob legs that I just put a used Sirui head on this year and it's been ok.

Another thing is if whatever you get now has some other feature / attribute that doesn't get made redundant by nicer legs down the road (like the 90 degree center column) it's not necessarily bad to have more than one set of legs. I have a SLIK compact tripod I got when I was in 6th grade that I still use occasionally cause it's super tiny.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Not certain if this is the right place to ask, but I have recently uncovered a Minolta X700 with the minolta multifunction back and an MD 50mm F/1.4 lens while digging through an old suitcase of mine. I have no memory of ever buying or receiving this thing, but it seems to be in really good physical shape, but of course it seems dead. Film advance lever behaves as if it the shutter is already cocked but the shutter release doesn't do anything. Is this a model that needs a working battery to fire the shutter? Is there something else likely going on?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yes, it has a fully electromagnetic shutter. It won't fire at any speed (not even in Bulb mode) without a battery. Some of the early ones apparently had lovely capacitors that failed and stopped the shutter from firing even with a battery too.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Cool, I'll just tape together some whateversizeIneed batteries and see if that gets it going again. Worst case I'll just get an adapter and play with the 50 on my fuji.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A Minolta X700 was my first "real" camera, bought second-hand from a camera store in 1998. I still have it, and it's lovely.

Buy a pack of SR44 batteries on eBay or wherever for cheap (physical stores sell them for $hugemarkup) and get some film (again, eBay) and go shooting. X700 + 50/1.4 is a great combo that you can get up and running for like $10 at this point.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Thanks for the advice guys, decided to spring a little extra for the Manfrotto, it looks like I can probably find a used one and save enough to keep it close to my budget anyway.

On a related note, could anyone recommend me a head to go with it? I honestly don't even know what I should be looking for - I do a lot of product / food photography (hence the desire for the 90-degree column), but I really want to get more serious about my landscape photography too. Ball heads seem to be the de-facto standard from what I can see, but is that going to suit my needs, or would I be better off with a pan / tilt? I don't plan on doing any serious video shooting, if that makes a difference.

My only concern is that any tripod that is going to fit my needs for both studio-style shooting and travel shooting is probably going to be heavier than I'd like, but the good carbon fiber stuff is way out of my price range, even used, so I'll just have to suck it up and try not to carry too much extra weight, I guess.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 9, 2018

nop
Mar 31, 2010
What about something like the benro travel angel? I have an earlier model and it works well. I think the B series ball heads are well regarded. It's aluminium so it's heavier but if you can't afford carbon fibre it seems like a decent choice.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157840-REG/benro_fta28ab1_travel_angel_aluminum_series.html

Not sure what other goons think...

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Do Sony have an equivalent to Canon's TC-80N3? I.e. a cabled remote with bulb (that you can lock down) and intervalometer functions?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ineptitude posted:

Do Sony have an equivalent to Canon's TC-80N3? I.e. a cabled remote with bulb (that you can lock down) and intervalometer functions?

I've never had the need for it, but why would you want a remote that has intervalometer functionality if the body offers this?

I'm happy with a locking shutter remote for long exposures and messing around with bracketing. If I needed interval stuff I'd leave it to the firmware functionality.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've never had the need for it, but why would you want a remote that has intervalometer functionality if the body offers this?

I'm happy with a locking shutter remote for long exposures and messing around with bracketing. If I needed interval stuff I'd leave it to the firmware functionality.
So you can install the body soemwhere and use the remote for settings.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ineptitude posted:

Sony's first party remotes are the following:

1. PlayMemories mobile app.

2. RMT-DSLR2 IR remote. Doesn't have a press and lock to hold for bulb, but does have a video record button. It may work on the two-press method for bulb since this requires the camera's IR receiver to be turned on, but I don't use it, so I can't say whether it does or not.

3. RMT-VP1K advanced IR remote. This has a video record button as well as a press-and-lock bulb mode shutter. Has an attachable IR receiver.

4. VPR1 wired remote. This has the same functionality as the RMT-VP1K, except it's wired. You can attach a MULTI port cable (for RX series, NEX/E-mount cameras, and select A-mount cameras) or a Minolta-style remote cable for A-mount cameras

None of these have intervalometer functions, but some do lock-and-hold for bulb (as well as lens zoom and video recording).

Sony does not sell a first-party intervalometer style remote. You'll want to get the Vello Shutterboss or the Pixel TW-283 radio timer remote with the S2 cable for E-mount. The S1 cable is Minolta-style and for A-mount cameras only. I use the Pixel remote and aside from feeling a bit cheap it seems to work well enough. The advantage of the Pixel is that it has interchangeable cables so you can easily use the same remote on different systems. I use the S1 cable (A-mount) and S2 cable (RX100) by switching them out regularly.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 11, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This might be a dumb question, but why do some lenses let you spin around the thing that usually affects zoom, despite them not having a zoom function? Seems kind of redundant?

Also, SD Card reader recommendations, gooooo!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you thinking of the focus ring?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

powderific posted:

Are you thinking of the focus ring?

yeah, that's it. I turn mine but nothing is affected.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Qubee posted:

yeah, that's it. I turn mine but nothing is affected.

Turn the autofocus off on your camera and lens, and welcome to a world of blurriness.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

EL BROMANCE posted:

a world of blurriness.

Or as I call it, "home sweet home."

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Older SLR lenses will have a third ring, for manually adjusting the aperture. Looking through the viewfinder while spinning this ring will appear to change nothing, because the lens is "automatic" - even if it's manual-focus - in that the aperture snaps down to the set position only when the shutter button is pushed.

In really old lenses, like my Takumar 500mm/4.5 (I think built in the late 1960's), the aperture is not controlled by the camera and as you rotate the aperture ring you can see the image get darker or brighter.

If your lens is a zoom lens, there will be another ring to turn to change zoom. If it's a prime lens, it cannot change focal length (it cannot zoom) and there will be no such ring. Or, a lot of manual-focus zooms were "one-touch" and you slide the ring forward and backward to zoom, rotate to focus.

And finally, you could have a polarising filter on the lens, and turning that would change nothing unless you were looking at a non-metallic, reflective surface under reasonably high light intensity - think a lake on a sunny day. Pointing it at your crotch in your computer chair isn't going to show any polarising effects.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

My 7D died and Canon wants more to repair it than it’s worth, so I’m using this as an excuse to upgrade. Since I don’t have much invested in glass I’m not tied to Canon.

I’m mostly interested in shooting birds. I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Canon 7Dii or the Nikon D500, and either the current Tamron or Sigma 150-600s.

Does anyone have any input on either choice?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you go Nikon you could look at their new 200-500 too. I have no experience with the canon side of things so can’t offer much comparison otherwise.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I just got a 7dii a couple of months ago and I really like it so far. A smidge more noise than my 6D but that's probably to be expected, and nothing to really complain about. Lots of discussion about those lenses in the Bird making GBS threads thread. I'm not sure if there was a consensus but I think the new Tamron is supposed to be really nice but there was some concern about getting slightly-off copies. Right now I'm using the Canon 400/5.6 but I'll probably get the new Tamron eventually...

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
My Pentax Super ME has long as hell exposure times ( 5-10 seconds or more) when I first take a shot in auto mode. I half depress the shutter button to use the meter, adjust the aperture and fire, but the exposure time takes forever unless I hit one of the buttons near the Auto/Manual/Lock selector. If I follow up with another shot right after it works fine. What gives?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

kefkafloyd posted:

Sony Remotes

Thanks!

Sounds like the VPR1 or a 3rd party knockoff of that is the one i want.

I don't really need intervalometer, i just mentioned that as my experience is that full fledged remotes with all the bells and whistles works better in general.

Do you have any recommendations for a non wired non IR remote? (I guess that would be radio?) E.g. the Hahnel Giga Pro II equivalent for Sony.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EPICAC posted:

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Canon 7Dii or the Nikon D500, and either the current Tamron or Sigma 150-600s.

Does anyone have any input on either choice?
The D500 is an absolute bonkers camera, and it has some definite strengths the 7D doesn’t - namely, 10fps with a 200 frame buffer, and autofocus that genuinely works in absolute poo poo light.

I can not recommend this camera enough. It’s amazing.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

powderific posted:

If you go Nikon you could look at their new 200-500 too. I have no experience with the canon side of things so can’t offer much comparison otherwise.

The 200-500 looks incredibly nice for the money. Would like to try out a D500 + 200-500 combo to see how it stacks up to the Big Gear. Seen people do lovely work with it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

Sounds like the VPR1 or a 3rd party knockoff of that is the one i want.

I don't really need intervalometer, i just mentioned that as my experience is that full fledged remotes with all the bells and whistles works better in general.

Do you have any recommendations for a non wired non IR remote? (I guess that would be radio?) E.g. the Hahnel Giga Pro II equivalent for Sony.

I would suggest the Pixel TF-283 remote. It's RF wireless, and you don't have to use the intervalometer functions if you don't want to. It's only thirty bucks, so if you lose it or break it you won't be out too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Krakkles posted:

The D500 is an absolute bonkers camera, and it has some definite strengths the 7D doesn’t - namely, 10fps with a 200 frame buffer, and autofocus that genuinely works in absolute poo poo light.

I can not recommend this camera enough. It’s amazing.

Thanks, I thought the D500 looked better on paper. I might pull the trigger this week.